PDA

View Full Version : Oregon voters get the right idea: Tax the fucking RICH!!

FORD
01-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Voters in Oregon OK tax hikes for some
Corporations and wealthy families are targeted to help ease the state's budget crisis.

By Kim Murphy

January 27, 2010

Facing a budget crunch that threatened to close schools early, lay off teachers and slash healthcare benefits, Oregon voters ended two decades of tax scrimping Tuesday by approving higher taxes on corporations and wealthy families.

The two ballot measures passed handily in a referendum watched closely around the country as a signal of whether voters are ready to approve targeted tax hikes to bail out cash-starved state treasuries.

Oregon voters since 1990 have limited property taxes, rejected sales taxes and vetoed across-the-board income taxes. But with 87% of the ballots counted, the measure to raise income taxes on households earning more than $250,000 a year, and individuals earning more than $125,000, was winning with 54.1%. A second measure to raise the state's corporate income tax was ahead with 53.6%.

Business leaders had fought the measures, arguing that they would drive away entrepreneurs and force struggling businesses to slash jobs.

The two measures would raise more than $700 million to help close a gap in the state budget that at one point reached $4 billion.

Kevin Looper, who ran the campaign to pass the measures, said the vote was a signal that predictions of a general conservative retrenchment following the Republican victory in this month's Senate race in Massachusetts were premature.

"I think this is firmly a progressive, populist moment. It just takes leaders to stand up and say what we're about, and make sure things are clear to voters," he said. "Because when the choice gets made clear like that, voters will almost always make the right decision."

Looper said the credit goes to Democratic leaders in the Legislature, who passed the tax increases against nearly unanimous Republican opposition.

"It was an amazingly courageous thing for the Legislature to say, 'We're going to both protect schools and make a case for tax fairness by keeping the burden off middle-class families,' " he said.

Opponents gathered signatures to force the referendum.

Supporters, backed by public employee unions, raised $6.8 million, compared with $4.6 million by opponents who relied on the banking industry and business groups. Final financial reports have yet to be filed.

"The biggest issue is we were substantially outspent by the public employee unions. They were able to double, and more than that, the money we were spending on the broadcast media, and were able to get that much more of their message out," said Pat McCormick, spokesman for Oregonians Against Job-Killing Taxes.

kim.murphy@latimes.com

Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times

Now we just need something like this on the north side of the Columbia river to undo all the Eyman damage.......

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 01:55 AM
News flash - $125 is not rich.

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 02:31 AM
I live in a state that has no debt and no income tax. One of the few states that isn't broke.

FORD
01-28-2010, 02:43 AM
I live in a state that has no debt and no income tax. One of the few states that isn't broke.

You also live in a state with very few people, which makes a lot of money off of tourism (Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, etc.)

So you still get tax revenue.... it's just coming from non-residents. Not to the extent that Nevada does, of course. Pretty much ALL of their money comes from that.

sadaist
01-28-2010, 02:56 AM
There are already enough taxes. Too many. The key is not to continue raising them, but to stop spending so much damn money.

Example of wasteful government spending from last week.

In CA we were slammed with some very heavy rains. As I'm watching the 11 o'clock news, the piece titled "Fowl Weather" comes on. 25 pelicans were being treated at some local institute. For what you may wonder?

They were too wet!

Yep. Apparently the pelicans were too wet with no chance to dry enough to warm themselves. These are the very same birds that dive under the surface for fish, float on top of the water the rest of the time, and are constantly wet.

I wonder how homeless unemployed humans felt about being "too wet" during last week. Glad to know tax money is helping these pelicans.

Coming soon....dietitians for elephants & hippos.

sadaist
01-28-2010, 03:02 AM
Facing a budget crunch that threatened to close schools early, lay off teachers and slash healthcare benefits,

Don't you love that whenever they need more tax revenue they immediately threaten the schools, police, fire, & medical services? Scare tactics at their best. I'm sure there are thousands of programs that could be cut to make budget. But if they campaigned saying "we need to raise taxes so we can continue studying the tree fly of the eastern part of the forest mating habits", no one would go for it.

LOL...budget. I doubt there is one single politician that even knows what that word truly means.

Unchainme
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm not so much for this idea, while I understand there is a state budget crisis and this is maybe good in the short term to bring it down, you could possibly chase away a lot of the businesses in the area (both small and big).

I hold by that either we should tax all goods and abolish the current system or scale back the tax rate to 15-20%. for all americans, rich and poor.

FORD
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Roll back the tax cuts for the rich to the pre-Reagan levels. And if that's not enough, take them back to the pre-JFK levels. And reinstate the estate tax at everything over $1 million after the second generation. Or put simply, make sure there are no Paris Hilton or Chimpy Bush types in the future. No dumbshit should ever live off of what their grandparents did. Especially when the BCE money was never legitimate to begin with.

Unchainme
01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Roll back the tax cuts for the rich to the pre-Reagan levels. And if that's not enough, take them back to the pre-JFK levels. And reinstate the estate tax at everything over $1 million after the second generation. Or put simply, make sure there are no Paris Hilton or Chimpy Bush types in the future. No dumbshit should ever live off of what their grandparents did. Especially when the BCE money was never legitimate to begin with.

Not that I agree with you on taxes, but the idea of not having had Bush in the White House and Paris Hilton having to be put to work makes me smile. :)

I'm all for people having as much money as they want, I think if you've found away to do as such, that's legal and has a made a good contribution, then by all means, you should have most of it back. But maybe the inhertiance should have it so there's a few hoops to jump through, perhaps requiring the recipitants to do charitable work?

And the really depends on your definition of living off your grandparents, Mine are partly helping pay for my college and I am by no means attending a prim and proper college..it's auctually well known for..partying...and..uhh..protesting "..tin soldiers and nixon's coming.."

FORD
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
If your grandparents earned money that paid for your education, that's fine. But should that same money pay for YOUR grandchildren's education.

I'm sure your family's not exactly in the Bush/Hilton tax bracket, or you probably wouldn't be living in Cleveland. (Even Chimp's great grandaddy Samuel Bush only stayed in Ohio long enough to swindle the railroads.) ;)

Unchainme
01-28-2010, 02:44 PM
If your grandparents earned money that paid for your education, that's fine. But should that same money pay for YOUR grandchildren's education.

I'm sure your family's not exactly in the Bush/Hilton tax bracket, or you probably wouldn't be living in Cleveland. (Even Chimp's great grandaddy Samuel Bush only stayed in Ohio long enough to swindle the railroads.) ;)

No I'd just live in Shaker Heights if that were the case. :D.

Really, Cleveland/Canton/Akron/Youngstown is not as bad as it's presented in the media, some nice folks here, Quiet, just really has screwed up when it's come to keeping jobs in state. :pullinghair:

bueno bob
01-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Yes. Us here in the educated half of the state like to use our brains about things.

;)

Unchainme
01-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Yes. Us here in the educated half of the state like to use our brains about things.

;)

us here in Cleveland know all too well about the "other-half" of said state, he has played QB for us the past three seasons. :pullinghair:

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/derek-pick.jpg

Please take him back and let us keep the hot chick from his hometown. :)

NSFW, hence why it's only linked on here.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2007/11/medium_Playboy.jpg

FORD
01-29-2010, 01:16 AM
You should never hire a QB wearing the number 3. Ask any Seahawks fan why.

Unchainme
01-29-2010, 01:37 AM
You should never hire a QB wearing the number 3. Ask any Seahawks fan why.

We have one who's alma mater is Notre Dame as well, though he wasn't billed as "Joe Montana II" thankfully.

Did you guys enjoy holmgren? I am hoping he's able to reverse the sucking that has gone on in the past decade. I'

WACF
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
News flash - $125 is not rich.

Yeah really...

Roy Munson
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I just love the way liberals think. Keep thinking that way and watch this country flush right down the toilet.

You go, girls!

FORD
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I just love the way liberals think. Keep thinking that way and watch this country flush right down the toilet.

You go, girls!

The country started going down the toilet the moment the BCE/Reagan administration cut the taxes for the rich who dodge most of their taxes in the first place. And the shit whirlpool accelerated a lot faster when Chimpy added further "tax cuts" to the non - taxpaying rich.

Funny how this country was doing so well when it was still operating under FDR's financial reforms and Eisenhower's tax rates on the top 1 %. Both have been eliminated over the last 30 years and look how fucked we are now. :(