PDA

View Full Version : 'We are the World' remake 2010

Mushroom
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy, can't wait for this one... :hee:

From Chicago Tribune:

'We are the World' remake features Kanye West, Jennifer Hudson and, of course, Vince Vaughn

How different is the "We are the World" remake from the original version, which shined a light on famine in Africa 25 years ago?

Well, Lil Wayne is singing Bob Dylan's verse this time around and Justin Bieber is singing Lionel Richie's opening line. And as far as the sound goes, mtv.com said it has a "modern Southern hip-hop bounce to it."

As if that isn't confusing enough for your grandparents, the video is being shot in 3-D.

The remake has been in the works for a while but changed its focus last month after the earthquake in Haiti. "We Are The World - 25 for Haiti," recorded in a Hollywood studio on Monday (they wanted to take advantage of the star power in town for the Grammys), will now have a Haiti angle. All profits from the single will go to the earthquake victims.

The original song, which featured Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles and Diana Ross, raised $63 million.

Chicago-area celebs Kanye West, Jennifer Hudson and Vince Vaughn attended Monday's recording session, as did Snoop Dogg, Barbra Streisand, T-Pain, Josh Groban and Akon.

The video for the song will debut Feb. 12 on NBC during the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics.

jhale667
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
All the more reason for Ronnie Dio to recover...time to do the 25th anni-version of "Hear N' Aid". Musically "Stars" kicked the uber-crap "We are the World" into the next time zone...

chefcraig
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Chicago-area celebs Kanye West, Jennifer Hudson and Vince Vaughn attended Monday's recording session, as did Snoop Dogg, Barbra Streisand, T-Pain, Josh Groban and Akon.

Reading this reminds me of the brilliant quote by Lewis Black, about watching the 2001 Superbowl halftime...

"So there were N'Sync, Aerosmith and Britney Spears, all on the screen at once. Fortunately, I had a spoon in my hand, and I shoved it up my ass. Why, you might ask. To distract me from the pain. If I'm going to hurt that much, I'm going to do it to myself. Oprah calls that empowerment."

Seshmeister
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
If they can boost their careers using starving children. third world debt or even most laughably the environment then why not cash in on the Haiti earthquakes?

Just shows you that even the worst catastrophe is good news for someone.

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
"So there were N'Sync, Aerosmith and Britney Spears, all on the screen at once. Fortunately, I had a spoon in my hand, and I shoved it up my ass. Why, you might ask. To distract me from the pain. If I'm going to hurt that much, I'm going to do it to myself. Oprah calls that empowerment."

This may be the BEST thing I have ever read.

Mr Walker
02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
All the more reason for Ronnie Dio to recover...time to do the 25th anni-version of "Hear N' Aid". Musically "Stars" kicked the uber-crap "We are the World" into the next time zone...

Ronnie must be mending well... Heaven and Hell have booked a few festival gigs this summer.

BTW... 'We Are The World' was gay back then and it is gay right now.

Mushroom
02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Very gay with power vocals by Michael Jackson. At least the original included some living legends: Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles and Diana Ross, Bob Dylan. They should include Neil Diamond this time around.

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2010, 03:01 PM

This may be the BEST thing I have ever read.

Mr Walker
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Very gay with power vocals by Michael Jackson. At least the original included some living legends: Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles and Diana Ross, Bob Dylan. They should include Neil Diamond this time around.

Neil Diamond doesn't give a fuck about Haiti... and if he does, he shouldn't.

chefcraig
02-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Which reminds me...what with a crisis taking place, aren't we about due for yet another self-serving and totally inane comment from Kanye West?

FORD
02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Which reminds me...what with a crisis taking place, aren't we about due for yet another self-serving and totally inane comment from Kanye West?

We were due for one of those on Sunday night when Taylor not so Swift won all those Grammys. :biggrin:

FORD
02-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Neil Diamond shouldn't give a fuck about Christmas either, but he still made an album about it.

Unchainme
02-02-2010, 07:13 PM

YouTube - Hear n' Aid - We're Stars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7eqxg92YG0)

Didn't it ironically make way more money than the "We are the world" single?

chefcraig
02-02-2010, 07:20 PM
YouTube - Hear n' Aid - We're Stars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7eqxg92YG0)

Didn't it ironically make way more money than the "We are the world" single?

Not even close. Ronnie James Dio has said the single raised roughly $1 million dollars, while "WATW" went on to sell a staggering (as of 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_World)) 20 million units and raised over $63 million for humanitarian aid.

Mr Walker
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Neil Diamond shouldn't give a fuck about Christmas either, but he still made an album about it.

Neil gives a fuck about making a buck... thus three successful Christmas albums.

kwame k
02-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Guess it would be too hard to write another gem like We Are The World........

Mr Walker
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
guess it would be too hard to write another gem like we are the world........

lmao!!!

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
02-03-2010, 02:56 AM
i love that we are world song.kanyay could take micheal jacksons spot in the new song.
i would buy it for sure.he is the next king of pop.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
It's almost as bad as the British equilavent...Simon Cowell brings together a bunch of X Factards and BGT pricks to destroy "Everybody Hurts". He shat all over Michael Jackson's legacy not a few months after his death last year and now he's got the nerve to do it to REM whilst they're still alive and able to hear it.

Whats the point? Why don't people just give money direct to the campaign and cut out the Simon Cowell-flavoured middle man? At least the Band Aid/USA For Africa songs were as much about raising awareness as it was about raising money...who hasn't heard about this earthquake? Everybody knows it exists and if they wanna give money they will...probably significantly more than the 79p it will cost to download the song.

Adding to that...at least Geldof/Ure/Ritchie/Jackson bothered to write a new song rather than just lazily pick one from their iTunes playlist. "Yea, that'll do".

It just all seems more about celebrity culture than it does about actually trying to help people who need it (a point brilliantly and hillariously illustrated by modern-day social genius Charlie Brooker on last night's "Newswipe").

Mushroom
02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Neil gives a fuck about making a buck... thus three successful Christmas albums.

what the fuck do you know about Christmas music!! ;)

sadaist
02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
At least the original included some living legends: Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles and Diana Ross, Bob Dylan. They should include Neil Diamond this time around.

I read that Lil Wayne was asked to sing Bob Dylans part. It's been 25 years since the original and it's still kinda neat to watch because everyone still knows who all of the musicians are. 25 years from this new version people will be thinking "what the fuck? Who is that?".

Although I still never understood what Dan Aykroyd was doing in the original.

sadaist
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM

I loved watching the 2 hour special on that when it came out. The original guitar solo was like 20 minutes long. Crazy.

But it was noticeably missing the biggest names at that time. Eddie & Angus on guitar obviously, but singers mainly. David Lee Roth, Vince Neil, Klaus Meine, Brian Johnson, Bruce Dickinson, Steven Pearcy, Ozzy Osbourne. I mean, did they not invite them so they could make sure there was room for Don Dokken & Paul Shortino?

If they could have pulled in the biggest names like We Are The World did, I'm sure it would have been much, much larger than it was.

chefcraig
02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
If they could have pulled in the biggest names like We Are The World did, I'm sure it would have been much, much larger than it was.

Don't forget the WATW session benefited from being scheduled at the same time as the Grammys, so there was a rich pool of talent to choose from (in theory). Dan Aykroyd was ahead scratcher, though.

BITEYOASS
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
This is an insult to the people of Haiti! The fuckin record industry doesn't even bother to write an original song, so they take the cheap route and do a re-make. :fufu:

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Dan Aykroyd was ahead scratcher, though.

Well, oddly, I believe the first Blues Brothers live album is technically the biggest selling blues album of all time (or it was at the time).

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
But it was noticeably missing the biggest names at that time. Eddie & Angus on guitar obviously, but singers mainly. David Lee Roth, Vince Neil, Klaus Meine, Brian Johnson, Bruce Dickinson, Steven Pearcy, Ozzy Osbourne. I mean, did they not invite them so they could make sure there was room for Don Dokken & Paul Shortino?

Who said they wern't invited?

I was thinking that when people were bitching about some of the people who wern't at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Show...

"Why didn't they invite Bowie? Why didn't they invite McCartney? The Who? Him? Her? Them? Whatshisface? Whereshismum? Whatshertits?"

Maybe they did and their schedules wouldn't allow it or they just didn't want to do it. Brian Johnson has literally just said that he doesn't believe celeb-u-tards should start telling people to dig deep into their pockets when working class people can't afford to do that. Not everyone feels the need to be such a public do-gooder and prefer to be more anonymous (like Ted Danson in that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm).

ace diamond
02-03-2010, 02:32 PM
oh no, not this fucking "feel good" fucking bull shit again.
i really fucking hate this kind of useless fucking garbage.
i fucking hated it in 1985, and i still fucking hate it.
fucking hell, these fucking douche funnels just couldn't leave well enough the fuck alone, could they?
:pullinghair:

chefcraig
02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, oddly, I believe the first Blues Brothers live album is technically the biggest selling blues album of all time (or it was at the time).

Perhaps, but it made about as much sense as having the guys from Spinal Tap show up in the "Hear N Aid" deal.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Perhaps, but it made about as much sense as having the guys from Spinal Tap show up in the "Hear N Aid" deal.

Whats wrong with that?

chefcraig
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Whats wrong with that?

This presupposes that the heavy metal image is a cartoon to begin with of course, but it just looked pretty goofy. There wasn't anything inherently wrong with it, it just didn't appear to make a bunch of sense in the concept of things.

MAX
02-03-2010, 03:24 PM
They should include Neil Diamond this time around.

Neil Diamond kicks ass!!!

Sweet Caroline, seventh inning stretch..................

SO GOOD!!! SO GOOD!!! SO GOOD!!!

http://thirdgeneration.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/red-sox-logo.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f33c24tuFTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f33c24tuFTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Unchainme
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM

SO GOOD!!! SO GOOD!!! SO GOOD!!!

http://thirdgeneration.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/red-sox-logo.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f33c24tuFTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f33c24tuFTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tommy.jpg

NO ONE DENIES THIS!!

hambon4lif
02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
This is an insult to the people of Haiti! The fuckin record industry doesn't even bother to write an original song, so they take the cheap route and do a re-make. :fufu:That's exactly how I felt when they mutilated Marvin Gayes "What's Goin' On" for 9/11. It showed laziness and a lack of creativity on the part of the entire industry, and I felt in was in bad taste.
"What's Goin' On" is easily one of the greatest songs ever written for many reasons. The song was a perfect reflection of what was happening in America in the early to mid-70's during the Vietnam conflict. The song (as well as its message) will live forever, but it's a staple in time. It captured the thoughts and feelings of those who were going through one of the most turbulent times in this countrys history....and should've been left alone.
When I first heard the 're-make' with its lack of conviction and butchered second verse, I couldn't help but wonder if Marvin would even allow this to happen if he was alive. I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't. Marvin was a visionary...Marvin was a true artist...Marvin would've wrote his own 9/11 song.

This "We Are The World" remake bullshit is equally nauseating. Artist with even an ounce of credibilty or talent are outnumbered 20 to 1 by a bunch of uncreative, untalented brainless fuckwads jumping in front of the camera and telling anyone who will listen that they're "doing their part" and acting like they're curing cancer or fuckin' polio! Fact of the matter is they're there because their manager or agent told them it would be "a good move".
Greed isn't the only thing that destroyed the music industry....it's also because it's filled with self-obsessed, bubble-headed dipshits who lack an original thought of their own.

standin
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Charities often do not stand scrutiny. Jackson charities can be aliened with Jackson finances.
I must wonder those around Jackson surly taught him his Madeoff tactics.
I would not alien myself with such creature, other than the publicity factor.
I honestly do not think any Jackson associate or venture could stand a forensic accounting review. The Jackson name in my investigations is equivalent with finical fraud.

twonabomber
02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
It's almost as bad as the British equilavent...Simon Cowell brings together a bunch of X Factards and BGT pricks to destroy "Everybody Hurts". He shat all over Michael Jackson's legacy not a few months after his death last year and now he's got the nerve to do it to REM whilst they're still alive and able to hear it.

i heard REM willingly gave the rights to the song to Cowell.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
^^^

Yea, but REM are a sucker for a good cause too.

I'm sure they'll regret it when they see JLS, the Boyle (who resembles a sort of hairy toe), Leona and other pissfaces from the X Factor warble their way through it.

This presupposes that the heavy metal image is a cartoon to begin with of course, but it just looked pretty goofy.

On the other hand, it also shows that heavy metal artists have a sense of humour and aren't up their own arses.

chefcraig
02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
...On the other hand, it also shows that heavy metal artists have a sense of humour and aren't up their own arses.

Fair enough.

Mr Walker
02-04-2010, 09:04 AM
not everyone feels the need to be such a public do-gooder and prefer to be more anonymous (like ted danson in that episode of curb your enthusiasm).

lmao!!!

diamondsgirl
02-04-2010, 08:27 PM

And when I hurt
hurtin' runs off my shoulders
how can I hurt when holdin' you ?
"Wan"
touchin' "wan"
reachin' out
touchin' me
touchin' you...
:love:

PETE'S BROTHER
02-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Charities often do not stand scrutiny. Jackson charities can be aliened with Jackson finances.
I must wonder those around Jackson surly taught him his Madeoff tactics.
I would not alien myself with such creature, other than the publicity factor.
I honestly do not think any Jackson associate or venture could stand a forensic accounting review. The Jackson name in my investigations is equivalent with finical fraud.

finical fraud = picky posturing?

cantankerous crime?

i'll quit while i'm behind:(

Seshmeister
02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
This presupposes that the heavy metal image is a cartoon to begin with of course, but it just looked pretty goofy. There wasn't anything inherently wrong with it, it just didn't appear to make a bunch of sense in the concept of things.

Neither was having a bunch of people no one had heard of singing 'We're Stars'.

kwame k
02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
That's exactly how I felt when they mutilated Marvin Gayes "What's Goin' On" for 9/11. It showed laziness and a lack of creativity on the part of the entire industry, and I felt in was in bad taste.
"What's Goin' On" is easily one of the greatest songs ever written for many reasons. The song was a perfect reflection of what was happening in America in the early to mid-70's during the Vietnam conflict. The song (as well as its message) will live forever, but it's a staple in time. It captured the thoughts and feelings of those who were going through one of the most turbulent times in this countrys history....and should've been left alone.
When I first heard the 're-make' with its lack of conviction and butchered second verse, I couldn't help but wonder if Marvin would even allow this to happen if he was alive. I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't. Marvin was a visionary...Marvin was a true artist...Marvin would've wrote his own 9/11 song.

This "We Are The World" remake bullshit is equally nauseating. Artist with even an ounce of credibilty or talent are outnumbered 20 to 1 by a bunch of uncreative, untalented brainless fuckwads jumping in front of the camera and telling anyone who will listen that they're "doing their part" and acting like they're curing cancer or fuckin' polio! Fact of the matter is they're there because their manager or agent told them it would be "a good move".
Greed isn't the only thing that destroyed the music industry....it's also because it's filled with self-obsessed, bubble-headed dipshits who lack an original thought of their own.

Brilliant post, Ham :beers8:

What's Going On is such a beautiful song and Marvin's vocals are so smooth....I loved that song when i was just a little kid and it wasn't till I got older that I realized what a power message that song was conveying.....

Like you said, the point is that was a song for that time and place, that generation. Can't these modern pop stars take the time and effort to write an original song speaking that nation's troubles? Are they so uninspired by this tragedy all they can do is show up and do a cover.

standin
02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
finical fraud = picky posturing?

cantankerous crime?

i'll quit while i'm behind:(

:biggrin:
I shouldn't type when I am in a hurry. Those are some great quips!
financial fraud :tongue0011:

Does anyone really think that the financial shenanigans that was and are associated with Michael Jackson and the Jackson Klan are going stop because of some sort of imagined "honoring" of Michael Jackson? He “personally” may not be able to rip-off and exploit any longer, but do you really think his closest "associates" found the fraudulent behaviors and tendencies so offensive that they them selves avoid the inclination?

Diamondjimi
02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
But it was noticeably missing the biggest names at that time. Eddie & Angus on guitar obviously, but singers mainly......---- Vince Neil

Vince was there... ;)

Apparently, there was a handful of "artists" that refused to be involved because Spinal Tap was on the list of scheduled performers, figuring "Tap" would cheapen the credibility of the event...

Pretty sad, eh?
I have a feeling VH was part of that demographic... :(

hambon4lif
02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Brilliant post, Ham :beers8:

What's Going On is such a beautiful song and Marvin's vocals are so smooth....I loved that song when i was just a little kid and it wasn't till I got older that I realized what a power message that song was conveying.....

Like you said, the point is that was a song for that time and place, that generation. Can't these modern pop stars take the time and effort to write an original song speaking that nation's troubles? Are they so uninspired by this tragedy all they can do is show up and do a cover.That's how I felt about it. All of these supposed 'artists' are in one room after this horrible fucking tragedy, and not one of them are inspired or have the ability to express how they feel about it?!?? My brain hit the wall! I woke up to the harsh reality that we're on a downhill slide as far as who we've given praise, fame, and fortune to the last 2 decades. Un-fuckin'-real!
Springsteen is the only exception to the rule with "The Rising", but even that song was instantly forgettable within 20 minutes.
Going after (and butchering) a classic was a clear indication to me that todays so-called artists are clueless and bankrupt as far as being able to capture a moment, which is precisely what an artist is and does.

This "We Are The World" re-hash only reinforces this way of thinking.

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
02-05-2010, 12:09 AM
we are the world would be way better if it was sang by gangsta rappers like eminem and tu pak.

hambon4lif
02-05-2010, 01:01 AM
we are the world would be way better if it was sang by gangsta rappers like eminem and tu pak.Maybe in your world, were everyone with wheels on your house could run around the park proclaiming victory, but what about us who've managed to further our edumacation past the 4th grade and demand more for our entertainment dollar?

Take your time answering that one..and please lend the keyboard over to someone who doesn't go to family reunions to just to meet chicks to answer if this is too much for you to handle.

chefcraig
02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Here is a photo from Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/31959800) of the WATW remake's recording session. Outside of Al Jardine from the Beach Boys in the lower right, do you recognize any of these deadbeats? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-423.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Confused-Smileys/)

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8339/aweare.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/aweare.jpg/)

Susie Q
02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Here is a photo from Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/31959800) of the WATW remake's recording session. Outside of Al Jardine from the Beach Boys in the lower right, do you recognize any of these deadbeats? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-423.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Confused-Smileys/)

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8339/aweare.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/aweare.jpg/)

Half of them are hip hop whatever's, and then there is the young kids (under 25 crowd, who I have no clue on...), and finally about 20 of them I could recognize.