PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC singer Brian Johnson blasts Bob Geldof, Bono

Panamark
02-03-2010, 12:27 AM
- I prefer to help in private, says AC/DC singer
- Celebrities should donate own money, he says
- Johnson is 62 but not ready to retire yet

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson has lashed out at charity work done by Bono and Bob Geldof.

In his only Australian interview, the outspoken singer said he and his Grammy-winning band prefer to help in private with no press conferences.

"I do it myself, I don't tell everybody I'm doing it," Johnson told The Daily Telegraph.

"I don't tell everybody they should give money - they can't afford it.

"When I was a working man I didn't want to go to a concert for some bastard to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa.

"I'm sorry mate, do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done. It just makes me angry. I become all tyrannical."

Johnson said AC/DC's aversion to playing at charity events goes back to turning down a slot at 1985's Live Aid.

"Bob Geldof is a canny lad. He did what he thought was right at the time but it didn't work," he said. "The money didn't go to poor people. It makes me mad when people try to use politics or charity for publicity.

"Do a charity gig, fair enough, but not on worldwide television."

With the band's Australian tour - their first since 2001 - starting in Melbourne next week, Johnson also shot down reports that he was contemplating retirement.

"Of course I don't want to retire," he said. "But I'm telling you if the body or the voice packs in there's nothing I can do. Pride is what it is. You don't want to let yourself, the band or the fans down. I'll go on as long as I can.

"Thankfully the old tubes have held up. They've got a little bluesier, that just happens with life. I'm 62 now and I know it. And I've got another birthday coming, which is a bit of a bugger but what better way to get old?"

Panamark
02-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Linkage

AC/DC singer Brian Johnson blasts Bob Geldof, Bono | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-singer-brian-johnson-blasts-bob-geldof-bono/story-e6frfn09-1225826215165)

Panamark
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Yes !!!!! :baaa:

Totally agree with this !

Onya AC/DC !!

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I agree with everything he says.

Diamondjimi
02-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Yes !!!!! :baaa:

Totally agree with this !

Onya AC/DC !!
Ditto!

Were the financial numbers ever fully disclosed to the public? (Live Aid)

I wonder how many handful's of green were stuffed into pockets of those involved along the way?

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Celebrities are whores.

GAR
02-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Biblically speaking, Johnson is correct: what you do in private, you'll get your reward from above for.

Blab it, flaunt it, decorate your "giving" on a platter with the full cake icing - fuck you. You lost all reward in boasting of it.

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
02-03-2010, 02:36 AM
gary.your he-she friend gerrard is going to meet you at the internet cafe in 20 minutes.
dont be out all night.save some for me.

Jesus Christ
02-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Biblically speaking, Johnson is correct: what you do in private, you'll get your reward from above for.

Blab it, flaunt it, decorate your "giving" on a platter with the full cake icing - fuck you. You lost all reward in boasting of it.

Since when art thou a spokesman for Scripture? :confused:

binnie
02-03-2010, 03:57 AM
I take his point about celebrities in general, but I think that Geldof is a very sincere man...

Panamark
02-03-2010, 04:28 AM
I take his point about celebrities in general, but I think that Geldof is a very sincere man...

Out of interest, what makes you think that ?

Ive seen one too many interviews, where
(for a one hit wonder) he comes off as an
arrogant, self serving pig ??

His net worth would undoubtably be from his
feed the world recognition, not from a mild
single hit song.

As stated above, what percentage of the money
raised actually reached the poor starving Africans.
How much money reached the poor starving Boomtown Rat ?

sadaist
02-03-2010, 04:33 AM
When a musician takes a hard political stance, left or right, they will inevitably alienate about 1/2 of their fan base. Case in point - Dixie Chicks. A lot of conservative southerners disowned them. It's a dangerous road. Best to just go out and play your music, or act in your films and do what you are paid to do.

standin
02-03-2010, 04:45 AM
To an extent Johnson is right. Quite giving in some cases is good. However, many charities do not have a good charity rating, period.
At the same time things like Jerry Lewis telethon really made an effort; Jerry Lewis alone would not have been able to give the kinds of money that telethon has.

Even Colbert has successfully gathered his fan base to do 1000x more than he could have achieved quietly.

Go Winter Olympics!

Panamark
02-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Jerry Lewis did a telethon ?

Nitro Express
02-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Giving in private is charity. Giving in public is image building and public relations.

Mr Badguy
02-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree with Beano, but it's old news.

Of course these cunts get involved with these projects in their own interests.

Look at the video for the Band Aid single.

They all turned up at the studio dressed to the nines, I bet they don`t look that good at their own sessions when there are no cameras there.

Bono, Sting, Elton John etc, they've all got so much money they don`t know what to do with it, so if they want to help then give half of it away.

David Gilmour sold one of his houses for about 6 million and gave the money to a homeless charity, that`s the way to do it.

chefcraig
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Jerry Lewis did a telethon ?

Since 1966 he has held one on Labor Day weekend for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lewis_MDA_Telethon), raising millions of dollars each year.

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Since when art thou a spokesman for Scripture? :confused:

This, from the guy impersonating J.C.? :sick0020:

Seriously...if you actually believe in the Dude, you'd know that doing that puts you on the express train to hell, Ford.

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
When a musician takes a hard political stance, left or right, they will inevitably alienate about 1/2 of their fan base. Case in point - Dixie Chicks. A lot of conservative southerners disowned them. It's a dangerous road. Best to just go out and play your music, or act in your films and do what you are paid to do.

It pisses me off 100% of the time. What I hate about it is that, regardless of the political viewpoint, the underlying assumption is that, because I like the music, I'll naturally be persuaded to agree with the opinion.

Like I'm so fucking stupid, that I'm open to the power of suggestion because the dude can play a fucking guitar? They assume their fans are mindless imbeciles who can't form their own opinions. Play your fucking music, monkey, or STFU.

Guitar Shark
02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
It pisses me off 100% of the time.

I find this hard to believe. You are such an affable, agreeable sort.

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
It must be the job that lightens my spirits.

BITEYOASS
02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Brian Johnson is right! Bod Geldof is a no-good untalented CUNT!

Bob Geldof can fuck off! | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2571886812&ref=ts)

binnie
02-03-2010, 01:41 PM

single hit song.

The sheer amount of campaigning he does makes me think that he's sincere. Arrogant? Annoying? Yup, but I don't doubt he cares.

As for his money - he has several broadcasting and publishing companies, I believe.....

Mushroom
02-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Dixie Chicks alienated me with their annoying vocals

Mushroom
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Bob Geldof's biggest claim to fame was his acting role in Pink Floyd's THE WALL

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM

single hit song.

Well...he seems to be sincere. He looks like he means it. Plus, when he's talking about Africa, he doesn't say "Oh, and by the way...my new album is out on Monday".

Funnily enough Sky Arts has been showing a series about pop and politics recently and they were talking to Bob and he said he didn't intend to become a sort of celebrity embassador for Africa, and it happened because he promised people he would see to it that the money was well-spent. When LIVE AID raised hundreds of millions, that became a bigger task than it was when the single raised about £8 million.

And to be fair, the Boomtown Rats did have a handful of Top 20 hits in the UK;

I Don't Like Mondays
Rat Trap
Like Clockwork
She's So Modern
Banana Republic
Someone's Looking at You
Looking After No.1
Mary of the 4th Form

...I think there may have been a few others.

And he played PINK in "The Wall" before Band/Live Aid too.

I think he's become more synonymous with Africa by accident. Who knew LIVE AID was gonna be such a culturally significant event all over the world?

That, added to what Binnie already said...

Panamark
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Since 1966 he has held one on Labor Day weekend for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lewis_MDA_Telethon), raising millions of dollars each year.

Well there ya go ! They dont show that on this side of the planet.
I had heard he was not very well a few years ago, I used to love
his old movies as a kid. Good to hear he is still up and happening.

Igosplut
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Bob Geldof's biggest claim to fame was his acting role in Pink Floyd's THE WALL

If it wasn't for the money raising thing Geldof would be a cashier at A Quickie Mart right now....

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
"Bob Geldof" can go fuck himself.

Panamark
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Binnie and Shaun,

You might be right about Geldof, its just the media I have seen him
do in Australia, he has always seemed pissed off and arrogant.
Regardless of who is interviewing him. These interviews were
self serving, they were to promote whatever he was up to
at the time, including failed albums.

But I reckon theres a little bit of niggle with him and Australia.
Mainly due to when Michael Hutchence hooked up with his
ex wife. I think they shit canned Bob as a couple in Australia.

As for Boomtown rats, we only had the one hit here.
(The one song you always hear him sing live)
"Dont Like Mondays"
Didnt realize they had so many in the UK.

Im open minded, maybe he is a good guy and I
have just seen him interviewed on bad hair days ?

Still agree with Brian Johnsons opinion on celebs
that self promote in the name of crusading.

You dont see Bill Gates and Warren Buffet (who give
billions, not millions) of their own money to worthy
causes each and every year, ever big noting themselves
when they do so.

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Brian Johnson could kick all their asses, at 62. End of story.

Panamark
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
If it wasn't for the money raising thing Geldof would be a cashier at A Quickie Mart right now....

LOL...

Well I think the movie roles, and production companies came
*AFTER* Live Aid. So this is probably true.

Golden AWe
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm the last one to defend Bono in anything, but he has succeeded on governments making huge donations too. Hundreds of millions. No matter how many records it has helped him to sell, it is more than Kurt Cobain or some other piece of shit-junkie did to help (poor) people.

On the other hand, our world is overpopulated. Any donation that is not spent on condoms or guns should be illegal.

Blackflag
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm the last one to defend Bono in anything, but he has succeeded on governments making huge donations too. Hundreds of millions.

These same governments gave hundreds of millions to the same countries before Bono. There just wasn't some celebrity cocksucker with his face in the paper taking credit for it.

Bono can go fuck himself, too. Why doesn't he give some of his own money to charity instead of lobbying the U.S. president to give some of mine? Cocksucker.

GreenBayLA
02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I had a free ticket to U2 show 4-5 years ago and was really turned off by Bono's preaching and political posturing during 2nd part of the show. It didn't make me donate to Greenpeace etc, just think Bono is an insufferable twit.
DLR used to joke on his radio show that saving the world was Bono's job.

Dan
02-04-2010, 12:52 AM
I Had A Bono,Once.:D

Blackflag
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Just once.

Panamark
02-04-2010, 06:24 AM
I Had A Bono,Once.:D

Dan the Man likes to have "The Edge" over other men !! :)

Seshmeister
02-04-2010, 07:55 AM
These same governments gave hundreds of millions to the same countries before Bono. There just wasn't some celebrity cocksucker with his face in the paper taking credit for it.

Bono can go fuck himself, too. Why doesn't he give some of his own money to charity instead of lobbying the U.S. president to give some of mine? Cocksucker.

He avoids tax in Ireland whilst lobbying his and other governments to give the taxes from the people who do pay.

The most annoying thing about this shit isn't even the preaching it's that these bands made millions of sales out of 'charity' events - basically big promotion videos.

I'll give Geldof the benefit of the doubt on Band Aid and most of the bands maybe didn't completely realise the power of selling records through dead babies until Live Aid.

After they saw how U2 managed to build their career up and how Queen relaunched theirs the bands and their managers have been all over this. Snorting coke and eating canapes backstage and then coming out to sell their albums whilst preaching about debt or global warming? Fuck Off.

Golden AWe
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
He avoids tax in Ireland whilst lobbying his and other governments to give the taxes from the people who do pay.

Is this true? Where does he pay his taxes? Switzerland or Monaco, like our F1 drivers?

Anonymous
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Good ole Brian...

AC/DC were never ones to treat their fans like retards.

Of course what he said is all true... it's common sense innit?

Anyone with two eyes in his forehead know that Bono is the most disgusting piece of shit on our Green Earth.

Will somebody PLEASE make a Lennon out of him?

Cheers! :bottle:

chefcraig
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Brian Johnson on REM's Michael Stipe, from sometime in 2000:

"I got to tell you, mate, I don't like him, and I don't like his fuckin' music."

Chicama and Patria Clash on Park Avenue South | The New York Observer (http://www.observer.com/node/42478)

Mushroom
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Brian Johnson on REM's Michael Stipe, from sometime in 2000:

"I got to tell you, mate, I don't like him, and I don't like his fuckin' music."

back in their heyday, early 80's, AC/DC scared me. But I like these guys more each day!

AndyChad
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
As far as I can remember, 'artists' in Ireland dont pay tax.

Seshmeister
02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Until 2006 when they set a limit of just $300k tax free.

At which point U2 immediately became a Dutch band...

Blackflag
02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Until 2006 when they set a limit of just $300k tax free.

At which point U2 immediately became a Dutch band...

And I think the tax-free limit in the U.S. is $500...so, of course, I should pay for Bono's conscience because he doesn't feel like it. Cocksucker.