PDA

View Full Version : Itampon - Anyone gonna get sucked in ?

Panamark
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
So Apple launches a big screen version of Iphone/Itouch.
All the Fanboys are wanking furiously.
Before buying one, read what it *CANT* do.
I actually thought this was going to be quite special
but if the tech data I have read is true...
Why would you buy one ?

- Will not multitask. (sorry only one thing at a time)
- Will not run flash (90% of websites use flash)
- No USB connectors
- Lo res screen
- Meant to compete against ebook readers but
screen is not designed for reading. (Sore eyes in short time)
- Very difficult to use on screen keyboard.
- Locked into apple store apps...
- Does not have a camera !
- No, you cant make phonecalls !

Man, I have an awesome netbook and an Itouch/Ipod
Why the hell would I want this single tasking (what are
we back in the DOS world now ??) 10 inch Iphone that wont even
fit in my pocket ????

Hit or Miss ?? I think they got it wrong, especially knowing
the Intel based dual core competition for this gadget, that
are forthcoming.

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
sounds cool.i want one.

Blackflag
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Wow, that was hilarious. That just never stops being funny.

Doctor Dude
02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
My iPhone gets pretty warm after a few minutes of use. So despite the drawbacks of the new iPad I'm going to buy one and use it only as a plate warmer and cat cozy.

I don't currently own a cat, but it's comforting to know that any future cat can enjoy a warm and mediocre web experience.

Dr. Love
02-05-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm waiting for this.

Courier: First Details of Microsoft's Secret Tablet - Microsoft courier tablet - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet)

Nitro Express
02-05-2010, 01:46 AM
If you want all that buy a fucking laptop.

Panamark
02-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Right on !!

A laptop will give you so much more, there is no comparison !

Does this smack of trying to milk more out of, what was a good idea ?
I actually thing people will buy it, then be majorly dissapointed.
(due to hype)

ZahZoo
02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I think Apple jumped the gun on this with too little functionality. The concepts are good... but it has to be more than an oversized phone that won't call.

I'm really surprised at the lack of voice recognition applications for phones and notebooks like this. The technology is out there and sure beats touch-screen keyboards all to hell.

Panamark
02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I think Apple jumped the gun on this with too little functionality. The concepts are good... but it has to be more than an oversized phone that won't call.

I'm really surprised at the lack of voice recognition applications for phones and notebooks like this. The technology is out there and sure beats touch-screen keyboards all to hell.

Totally agree ZZ!

Hows those phone navigation systems that companies have now,
heck I can call my phone company slurring my words drunk
and pay my bill without ever speaking to a human.
Pretty darn impressive.

I know "Dragon" as in Dragon Dictate were meant to be frontrunners
with this kind of stuff. The other thing about touchscreens that
nobody ever mentions, is essentially they are "smudgescreens"

You sit there putting fingerprints all over your viewing area where it
gets to point of being unreadable. So then the screen needs constant
cleaning...

Panamark
02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm waiting for this.

Courier: First Details of Microsoft's Secret Tablet - Microsoft courier tablet - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet)

I've actually seen one ! (Or one of the early versions).
Pretty cool.

HP are meant to be working on a goodie too......

kwame k
02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree, a laptop and a BlackBerry is all I need.....I would be interest in one of those ebook readers....

jgdrag
02-05-2010, 09:43 PM
blackberry and laptop, to go

twonabomber
02-06-2010, 04:59 AM

i was looking at the features and apps, and i sat here thinking two things. either "i don't need that," or "my netbook can do that."

and think if this thing had a camera...go grab a magazine or something similar sized, and hold it up in front of your face like you're taking a pic and looking at the touchscreen. yeah, that's a good look!

ZahZoo
02-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Reminds me of this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzRziK-kZtQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzRziK-kZtQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The technology for voice recognition is readily available. Used today in home automation, telephone response systems, etc... not to mention there's a wide variety in use for visually impaired folks. It would require a fair amount of storage space for the software but that's not an issue today either.

Like twona says... add a camera & USB ports then you can connect it to any kind of peripheral computing device.

I think the biggest hold back is creating a simplified operating system that doesn't pack all the baggage of a PC. Frankly that could be accomplished via portable java modules and the programming today on an iPhone and it's copy-cats. I don't think it's the hardware as much as the software portability that's the bottleneck in all this...