PDA

View Full Version : John Murtha (D-PA) dies at 77

sadaist
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Congressman John Murtha Passes Away at Age 77

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Congressman John P. Murtha (PA-12) passed away peacefully this afternoon at 1:18 p.m. at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA. At his bedside was his family.

Murtha, 77, was Chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense.

First elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in February of 1974, Murtha dedicated his life to serving his country both in the military and in the halls of Congress. A former Marine, he became the first Vietnam War combat Veteran elected to the U.S. Congress.

This past Saturday, February 6, 2010, Murtha became Pennsylvania's longest serving Member of Congress.

A complete biography is available on his website.

John Murtha Dead: Died At Age 77 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/08/john-murtha-dead-died-at_n_453849.html)

sadaist
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Weird, but nowadays even 77 seems too young to go. Too bad he didn't get a chance to retire & spend more time with his family before he went. Worked until the very end.

FORD
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Shit.... could have sworn I saw headlines last night that said he was improving.

First Vietnam vet to be elected to Congress, and the first "hawk" to condemn Chimpy's invasion of Iraq.

Didn't agree with him on everything but he will be missed. And given the right wing leanings of the PA "Democratic" party, his replacement will be a definite downgrade.

Rest in Peace, John. :(

sadaist
02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Shit.... could have sworn I saw headlines last night that said he was improving.

First Vietnam vet to be elected to Congress, and the first "hawk" to condemn Chimpy's invasion of Iraq.

Didn't agree with him on everything but he will be missed. And given the right wing leanings of the PA "Democratic" party, his replacement will be a definite downgrade.

Rest in Peace, John. :(

Yeah, I had seen reports of him stabilizing/improving too. But older people, it doesn't take a whole lot to swing it the other way.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Fucking doctors nicked his intestines....

sadaist
02-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Fucking doctors nicked his intestines....

Aw shit. Here comes the lawsuits.

Murtha's Death Caused By Surgical Mistake

Rep. John Murtha's (D-PA) death on Monday has been reported by various news outlets as resulting from "complications following gallbladder surgery." Via Taegan Goddard, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the "complications" involved a mistake by Murtha's surgeons.

Mr. Murtha was first hospitalized with gallbladder problems in December. He had surgery Jan. 28 at the National Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md. He went home, but was hospitalized two days later when complications developed. According to a source close to Mr. Murtha -- confirming a report in Politico -- doctors inadvertently cut Mr. Murtha's intestine during the laparoscopic surgery, causing an infection.

Murtha's Death Caused By Surgical Mistake (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/09/murthas-death-caused-by-s_n_454861.html)

FORD
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
And this is why the Repuke/teabagger myth of "tort reform" being a solution to anything needs to end. Doctors who do stupid shit like that deserve to be sued, especially when they kill the patient. :mad:

Nitro Express
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Well. He's either in heaven having an orgy with virgins or he's in hell having his ass burned.

Sgt Schultz
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
And this is why the Repuke/teabagger myth of "tort reform" being a solution to anything needs to end. Doctors who do stupid shit like that deserve to be sued, especially when they kill the patient. :mad:

The operative term is "reform" not "Outlaw All Lawsuits". Ain't no myth that real tort reform would reduce healthcare costs.

BigBadBrian
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM

He had his operation at a Navy Hospital. You can't sue a military doc.

I'm quite sure he also signed a form stating all risks involved with his surgery. Medicine is not a perfect science.

It's too bad he's gone, but now let's just all concentrate on getting a Republican in his seat!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
He had his operation at a Navy Hospital. You can't sue a military doc.

That's true, but he died at a civilian hospital....

Virginia Hospital Center (http://www.virginiahospitalcenter.com/)

Sgt Schultz
02-09-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm sure if the Dr. was on a Govt. payroll he won't have to worry, because when Govt. screws up and kills people, it's never their fault and no one gets fired or penalized. Just ask Milwaukeeans about the 100 people who died because of an incompetent water department.

Guitar Shark
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm sure if the Dr. was on a Govt. payroll he won't have to worry, because when Govt. screws up and kills people, it's never their fault and no one gets fired or penalized. Just ask Milwaukeeans about the 100 people who died because of an incompetent water department.

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is just incorrect. Sovereign immunity has been largely eliminated virtually everywhere. The "government" is routinely sued for negligence and routinely pays out large settlements.

Seshmeister
02-09-2010, 09:05 PM

Interesting.

So should you be sued if you make a mistake at any point?

In any case of course it's not the doctor that pays it's everyone since it will be paid by an insurance company who in turn will pass the expense back to doctors who pass it back to patients via a different insurance company leaving Americans paying twice as much and getting less from their healthcare than everyone else...

sadaist
02-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't know if the doctor should be sued in this case. Murtha was old & weak already. A younger healthier patient would have probably survived. But when they remove the left something instead of the right...or leave a fucking sponge in you. That's the type of shit that these guys should pay dearly for. Problem is there is a lot of stuff that would fall into a grey area.

It's just probably really weighing on his loved ones knowing it was an error that caused his death, not that it was just his time.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, from what I've seen in the last couple of days, this type of "complication" is specifically mentioned when you sign your life away before they wheel you in....

Although Dick Schaap's family got almost $2M after he died after complications from hip surgery....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/02/nyregion/02schapp.html

LoungeMachine
02-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sorry, but this whole subject is bringing me back to the loss of Mick.

:gulp:

Miss you, man

Va Beach VH Fan
02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry, but this whole subject is bringing me back to the loss of Mick.

:gulp:

Miss you, man

Yeah, me too, but I didn't want to mention it, neither Poj nor I (as far as I know) ever got a confirmation from the family what the cause of his death was, and because of that, I didn't want to speculate....

jacksmar
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
The Abscam investigation conducted by Jimmy Carter's Justice Department:

The American Spectator: Full video of Murtha's Abscam meeting with the FBI. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2131539854655700584&hl=en#)

Murtha, the man the Democrats put up to lead the anti-war charge against President Bush.

Truth: Murtha was willing to sell USA interests to Arab sheiks.