PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who's Back in Megadeth!!!!!

SparkieD
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
From Megadeth.com - Home (http://www.Megadeth.com)

February 8, 2010 - BASSIST DAVID ELLEFSON RETURNS TO MEGADETH LINE-UP

DAVE MUSTAINE
ANNOUNCES RETURN OF FOUNDING BASSIST DAVID ELLEFSON
TO MEGADETH LINE-UP

Megadeth founder and frontman Dave Mustaine has announced the return of original bassist David Ellefson (1983-2002) to the iconic multi-platinum group. This reunion is appropriately timed to Megadeth’s upcoming historic month-long Rust In Peace 20th anniversary tour which launches March 1 in Spokane, WA. At these incredibly special shows, Megadeth will play their landmark, genre-defining 1990 album Rust In Peace in its entirety, in addition to other Megadeth favorites.

"This shows the power of brotherly love and forgiveness,” Mustaine says. “David Ellefson belongs in Megadeth. Next we are going to show you the power of getting your asses kicked...HARD!"

David Ellefson concurs: "This is a huge moment for all of us, band and fans alike. It is a great celebration of the music from one of the biggest landmark albums of our career."

Ellefson will join Mustaine and Megadeth band members Shawn Drover (drums) and Chris Broderick (guitar) on tour in support of the group’s current CD Endgame, which has received some of the highest critical accolades of the band’s career.

"We'd like to thank James LoMenzo for several years of loyal service on the bass, and wish him the very best," Mustaine adds.

Anonymous
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Niiiiiiiice!!

That's fuckin' grate news!

Cheers! :bottle:

Top Jimmy
02-08-2010, 11:48 PM
I applaud this forgive & forget (and sound business) move by Mustaine,
getting the guy back that he started the band with,,
although I don't think he's one bit better of a musician than Lomenzo..

you're forgetting something...a top ranking officer in the DLR Army,
& bassist for the DLR band (& their side project Hideous Sun Demons),
-James 'Camo Pants' Lomenzo- is now out of a job (again)
due to a sudden reunion with former bandmates (again)...

that's some fucked lucked right there...

SOMEbody 'round here ought to be able to get a quick 10-questions
email-interview with D-ro's answer to J-Lo....eh?

Did he quit or get fired?

How did he get the news?

Did he know it was coming, or might be coming?

Was it as simple as Dave wants his long-time bro back, and and it's nothing personal?

Is this the fucking Michael Jackson Army or the DLfrigginR ARMY?!?!

ANSWERS, PEOPLE!!

IS THIS HOW THE ARMY TREATS ONE OF IT'S OWN???
Get ON it already! Show this dude some love, yo!

and ANYway,
I wonder what cool gig will he land next???

White Lion...
Black Label Society..
(who incidentally just had a drummer quit)...
DAVID LEE ROTH BAND
and now Megadeth..

HELL of a resume...

Can't wait to see what's next.

Rock ON, James Lomenzo!

WHO WORE AN ARMY SHIRT ON THE D-RO TOUR BUS??
Lomenzo, that's who...and don't you forget it!!

Was there any warning, or was it simply the rock & roll version of
"uh, James, can you come to the office please, and..uh..bring your stapler, mmkay?"
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jCR4_w1d8Tc/RzuCenjSF7I/AAAAAAAAAEc/-bF234v-IZk/s1600/office%2Bspace.png

Top Jimmy
02-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Ellefson filed suit against Mustaine in 2004, claiming, among other things, breach of fiduciary obligation,
libel and emotional distress.

Speaking to Cindy Scull of the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas radio station 97.1 The Eagle Rocks in September 2009
Dave Mustaine stated about Lomenzo's addition to MEGADETH, "When Junior [Ellefson] and I parted ways,
I thought, well, even though I don't care for this guy anymore after suing me,
I certainly know it's gonna be some big shoes to fill. . . And when James Lomenzo came in...
I was comparing James MacDonough [Ellefson's initial replacement in MEGADETH] to Junior a lot,
and it wasn't working. But when Lomenzo came in, he plays as good as Junior does,
and he sings better, because Junior couldn't sing.
James was part of that WHITE LION thing way back in the '80s, and he can sing, man — he can sing really good."

In a fall 2009 interview with Eddie Trunk's "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM,
Dave Mustaine was asked whether he and Ellefson have mended their differences.

"Well, I forgave him, but I'll never play with him again," Mustaine replied.
"I talked to him a little while ago about coming back and playing with us when I first took MEGADETH
out of the ashes, and then there was a period after that where we discussed it again.
It's just not right, and it'll never be right.
The guy, his butt grew together when I called him Junior, and I'm thinking,
'What the hell is wrong with that?'
If it's that nit-picky where you can't even call somebody a nickname he's had for 20 frickin' years, it's like,
things have changed.

I mean, like I said, he's a good bass player.
I'm sure his band... whatever it's called... I think it's F5 or something. There's several F5s, though.
So he's the one in the band without the girl singer. But I'm sure that if it's meant to be for him,
he's gonna be successful again; if not, I know he's happy doing his thing [working as an as an artist relations representative] with Peavey [manufacturer of musical equipment, gear and accessories].

The bottom line is I still respect and appreciate what he did for me being the bass player in MEGADETH for so long.

Although what he did to me was very, very hurtful — especially airing all of the stuff that happened,
because a lot of the stuff wasn't true; some of it was true, and I made mistakes — I'm human; I make mistakes
and I made amends for it. But even still, having made amends, it didn't matter;

I was still in this lawsuit [that Ellefson filed against Mustaine shortly after Mustaine announced that he was reforming MEGADETH with a new lineup].
And that was kind of hurtful. But the bottom line is I went out to Arizona and I met him, and I said, 'I forgive you.'
When I became a Christian, I really, really [didn't wanna] be another one of these idiots that are Christians who
walk around and they embarrass themselves. I don't tell people how to live their lives, I don't tell people,
'You need to go to church,' 'cause that's not my place; I've got enough wrong with me right now where
I would be a complete hypocrite. But I did know that if I continued to hold on to that bitterness for him,
who would be hurting? Me. Because [Ellefson] doesn't care if I forgive him or not.
I mean, I'm sure it made him feel better, because when he lost, he lost a lot — he lost me, he lost the band,
he lost a lot of fans, he lost a lot of money... He had to pay all my court costs and everything.
But the bottom line, again, I forgave him. Now, does that mean we're gonna swap spit and Christmas cards and stuff like that? No."

Photos below by Stephanie Cabral

MEGADETH 2010 (left to right): Shawn Drover (drums), David Ellefson (bass), Dave Mustaine (guitar, vocals), Chris Broderick (guitar):

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/megadeth20101.jpg

Diamondjimi
02-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I've met Jr. A cuntplete Arsewipe...

Panamark
02-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Theres someone else they need to get back.....
But bad news, this is not (Yoda Mode)

Trudy Green
02-09-2010, 03:48 AM

He was only like that to you

I wonder why

binnie
02-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Wow!

I am very surprised by this - I never thought Jr would forgive Mustaine.

SparkieD
02-09-2010, 07:00 AM

OOPS!!! Didn't mean to groan atcha. Too early in the morn. Haven't had me coffee yet :0 BUT, I hope you aren't referring to any past guitar player. Chris Broderick is the bomb!

Wow!

I am very surprised by this - I never thought Jr would forgive Mustaine.

I didn't think Mustaine would forgive Jr.

Panamark
02-09-2010, 07:33 AM
There we go !

All sorted :)

Yes CB is da bomb, but MF plays on my fave Deth tracks....

Mr Walker
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Damn... this news is almost as big as Slash playing on the Alter Bridge singers' new solo album.

:happy0065::appl::happy0158:

sadaist
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
AWESOME!

Ellefson is just about the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet. I quit listening to Megadeth after he left. With Dave & Dave, the ever changing drummer & guitarist didn't bother me too much. It still was Megadeth. But when it became Mustaine on his own, it just didn't feel right.

So happy. This is terrific news.

sadaist
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM

He was only like that to you

I wonder why

Yeah dude, what gives?

I approached Ellefson and we ended up trading emails for a bit. I was making these custom card guards for poker players (those poker chip type weights people put on top of their hole cards when they stay in a hand). I customized a couple for him with his new bands name F5 and sent them to him. In turn, he sent me a package with a bunch of guitar picks. I was extremely happy that he included a couple Megadeth picks in there along with those of his new band. He included a pic of the custom guard I sent him with the small stand I included. He had it up on his shelf in his office in AZ with a bunch of cool other stuff. I couldn't believe something I made in my garage was sitting on David Ellefsons shelf along with his other memorabilia....so surreal.

Mr Walker
02-09-2010, 10:29 AM
David Ellefson has exclusively told Classic Rock about the motivations behind his return to Megadeth, after an eight-year absence.

“It literally happened over the weekend,” says the delighted bassist. “And I can hardly believe it myself. There was clearly gonna be a change in the line-up, because James Lomenzo was leaving. Dave (Mustaine) and I talked on the phone, and all the feuds, all the arguments we’ve been having over the years just melted away. It just goes to show what direct contact can achieve!”

According to Ellefson, it was drummer Shawn Drover who instigated the whole thing.

“If you ever need a guy in a band to watch your back, then this is the man. Obviously, I have no clue what happened within the band. But I got a text from Shawn and it just said: ‘If ever there was a time for you and Dave to talk, now is it.’ It’s one of those messages you act on immediately. Typically of Megadeth, things then happened big and fast.

“In all honesty, talking to Dave again was wonderful. It was the right thing at the right time, done in the right spirit.”

Ellefson rejoins the band in time for their March tour of America, where they will play the whole of the 1990 album Rust In Peace.

“I have one big advantage – I think I know those songs already! Seriously though, I was in New York with one of my other bands, Hail!, when I found out that Megadeth were doing this, and I did feel a little upset that I wasn’t at that point gonna be part of it. But, hey, now it’s all changed.

“So far, the reaction I’ve had from everyone has been overwhelmingly positive. I cannot wait to get back out there with Megadeth.”

Mustaine is reported as saying: “David Ellefson belongs in Megadeth. Next we are going to show you the power of getting your asses kicked… HARD!”

For further info, go to Megadeth.com - Home (http://www.megadeth.com)

sadaist
02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Fuckers aren't playing San Diego for the Rust In Peace 20th. UGH! Hollywood is the closest for me. Fucking hate that place with a passion. Should be a fun show though.

binnie
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, it's nice to see but it's blatent opportunism to publicise the celebration of 'Rust....'

But, if that's what it takes to have Megadeth instead of Megadave, so be it.

Diamondjimi
02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah dude, what gives?

I caught up to him and Marty @ NAMM '94. Marty was hilarious. He was cracking jokes at us because we all had blue flannel shirts on. Was looking at the pic. of us the other day, and yeah it looks hilarious.
Must have caught Jr. on a bad day. But thinking back to that period, wasn't he a full blown junkie at that time?
Could explain his mood at the time...

I think his return brings back a bit of the old school nostalgia to the band.

Lomenzo is turning out to be the new Rudy Sarzo!:biggrin:

binnie
02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Jr wasn't a junkie in '94 - he cleaned up in the early 90s I think....

sadaist
02-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I caught up to him and Marty @ NAMM '94. Marty was hilarious. He was cracking jokes at us because we all had blue flannel shirts on. Was looking at the pic. of us the other day, and yeah it looks hilarious.
Must have caught Jr. on a bad day. But thinking back to that period, wasn't he a full blown junkie at that time?
Could explain his mood at the time...

Lomenzo is turning out to be the new Rudy Sarzo!:biggrin:

Everyone has a bad day. And yeah, he was pretty strung out for a while. I've just heard way too many stories where people met this guy & he was super nice. Sucks you caught him on a bad one. Fucking cool you met Marty though. I really liked him on guitar for Megadeth.

binnie
02-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Marty is still the best lead guitar player for Megadeth - I'm sure Chris Brodderick would play circles around him, but he'll never have the unique, signiture personality to his playing....

Trudy Green
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I caught up to him and Marty @ NAMM '94.

Marty was kinda funny but cruel. He was cracking jokes at us because my boyfriend and I had our matching blue flannel shirts on.

We were looking at the pic.of us the other day, and yeah we look hilarious , but cute.

Could explain his mood at the time...Or he just doesn't like queers

Lomenzo is turning out to be the new Rudy Sarzo! = Very cute:biggrin:

You are one sick little putz.

x

Diamondjimi
02-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Blah, blah,blah...
Why do flies fall out of my minge when I stand on my hind legs?
x

Yup... that's about right...

binnie
02-10-2010, 05:00 AM
I've been thinking about this whole deal, and I'm certainly glad that Jr's back.

That being said, I think that it's kind of sad that Megadeth are having to push the whole 'nostalgia' angle to sell tickets - with two really strong albums ('United Abominations' and 'Endgame') back to back, Roadrunner should be pushing them in the US. I've noted on recent tours that the setlist barely delves into those releases, which is a real shame. Yes, everyone wants to hear the classics, but when you have new material that strong and vibrant then you should celebrate that too.

I'm glad that Megadeth are hitting the road with Testament and Exodus, but sad that it's sold on nostalgia (i.e. playing all of 'Rust In Peace'.) Testament's 'Formation of Damnation' is as great as anything they've ever done; 'Endgame' is the best Megadeth record since 'Countdown'; and Exodus are still putting out forceful, balls-out thrash. There's no need to revel in the past when the present is that loud.

SparkieD
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Personally, I think the last two Megadeth albums were among the best. The only thing I can think of that would have made them better is Jr. on bass.

Anonymous
02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I've been thinking about this whole deal, and I'm certainly glad that Jr's back.

That being said, I think that it's kind of sad that Megadeth are having to push the whole 'nostalgia' angle to sell tickets - with two really strong albums ('United Abominations' and 'Endgame') back to back, Roadrunner should be pushing them in the US. I've noted on recent tours that the setlist barely delves into those releases, which is a real shame. Yes, everyone wants to hear the classics, but when you have new material that strong and vibrant then you should celebrate that too.

I'm glad that Megadeth are hitting the road with Testament and Exodus, but sad that it's sold on nostalgia (i.e. playing all of 'Rust In Peace'.) Testament's 'Formation of Damnation' is as great as anything they've ever done; 'Endgame' is the best Megadeth record since 'Countdown'; and Exodus are still putting out forceful, balls-out thrash. There's no need to revel in the past when the present is that loud.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, Binnie...

You're right, Megadeth never actually ended in the true sense of the word. Yeah, they're releasing strong albums.

But even if they do release an album that's better than their entire classic catalogue put together, it'll never be as good as Rust in Peace... or even Countdown to Extinction.

Doesn't matter if you like the latter or not, because they're empowered by nostalgia.

And that's one power you can never defeat.

I'd say they're doing the right thing.

Anonymous
02-10-2010, 03:38 PM

OOPS!!! Didn't mean to groan atcha. Too early in the morn. Haven't had me coffee yet :0 BUT, I hope you aren't referring to any past guitar player. Chris Broderick is the bomb!

I also hope not. Marty Friedman may be linked to Megadeth 'till the end of his days, but he's not really essential, even though he did imprint his sound in the albums he was in...

But I happened to see Megadeth with Al Pitrelli, and it was a helluva concert. I mean, A HELLUVA concert.

Being a Savatage fan - yes, even AFTER Criss died (calm down, Bob) - I really appreciate Pitrelli's work.

I think they should try it a second time. Sadly, it's not likely to happen.

sadaist
02-10-2010, 03:55 PM

I understand your sentiment here, but remember...this is only a 30 day stint to celebrate the 20th anniversary of an uber album. The later dates with Metallica, Slayer & Anthrax...and the domestic tour are to promote the new stuff.

Plus, what better way to basically rehearse the new stuff with Ellefson than by doing 1 month of an album he knows backwards & forwards to get him in groove with the new guys?

Golden AWe
02-11-2010, 04:49 AM
We'll see whether Mustaine will start talking Lomenzo like Dave did with MA..."the bass player this and that"...uhuhuhuhuhu

Which band should Lomenzo save next? He's like a superhero, he does have the golden touch somehow.

binnie
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Personally, I think the last two Megadeth albums were among the best. The only thing I can think of that would have made them better is Jr. on bass.

I completely agree, although I actually think that 'UA' was superior to 'Endgame'

'Peace Sells...' is still their best though - they lost something when Gar Samuels left....

SparkieD
02-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I completely agree, although I actually think that 'UA' was superior to 'Endgame'

I think 'UA' was FAR superior to 'Endgame' though I love them both. I think you may be the only person I know of that agrees with me.

binnie
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I think 'UA' was FAR superior to 'Endgame' though I love them both. I think you may be the only person I know of that agrees with me.

Great metal heads think alike :D

'Endgame' was certainly more consistent than 'UA', but the latter had by far the strong, more head-crushingly heavy songs, IMO, and Dave's vocals were superior.

'Endgame' under-whelmed me a little - it was hyped as a thrash record when in truth it's the sort of metal record Mustaine's been making since 'Countdown.' That being said, it's a bloody good one.

kissfan1976
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
No wonder its' been so cold lately,hell froze over.

2012 when Mustaine rejoins Metallica will the end of the world.

Panamark
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM

'Peace Sells...' is still their best though - they lost something when Gar Samuels left....

Peace Sells is the one.

Rust in peace, second.....

Megadave always delivers (unless its a sex pistols cover)
but they are my 2 faves, along with the first 3
Megatallica albums.....

atomicpunk5151
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah I think it is pretty cool the Junior (Dave E) is back in Megadeth. I saw a lot of great shows with them back in the day. He is also an original member that had almost 20 years in the band.

The current lineup is very solid.

+++

The RIP shows should be pretty good. Dave M said they will play 10 songs (hits) then the whole RIP set.

20th anv RIP set list:

Set The World Afire
Wake Up Dead
In My Darkest Hour
Sweating Bullets
Skin O' My Teeth
Head Crusher
A Tout Le Monde
Symphony Of Destruction
Trust
Peace Sells, But Who's Buying?
(and all of RIP)

++++++++

Acutally what I am really looking forward to are the Mega/Slayer/Anthr shows this summer. Plus the Big 4 shows with Metallica. Dave has said he will bring back more of the fast thrash songs. Hook in Mounth & Rattlehead should return to the set. He also mentioned Black Friday, Devils Island and a suprise off KIMB that we haven't heard in a long time. I mean you can't go play some ballads right before Slayer...lol...

++++

Also Dave Mustaine said they have one NEW song that could be on a soundtrack or something soon. IT was written with Chris Broderick(current lead guitar)

Check out MEGADETH RADIO streaming online here: http://www.megadeth.com/megadethradio/
One of the best Metal & rock playlists anywhere on the net. Listening to Alice Cooper right now.

kissfan1976
02-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah I think it is pretty cool the Junior (Dave E) is back in Megadeth. I saw a lot of great shows with them back in the day. He is also an original member that had almost 20 years in the band.

The current lineup is very solid.

+++

The RIP shows should be pretty good. Dave M said they will play 10 songs (hits) then the whole RIP set.

20th anv RIP set list:

Set The World Afire
Wake Up Dead
In My Darkest Hour
Sweating Bullets
Skin O' My Teeth
Head Crusher
A Tout Le Monde
Symphony Of Destruction
Trust
Peace Sells, But Who's Buying?
(and all of RIP)

That's a great setlist!

binnie
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
They play most of those songs anyway - how about 'Black Friday' or 'The Conjuring'?

atomicpunk5151
02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
They play most of those songs anyway - how about 'Black Friday' or 'The Conjuring'?

Like I said above, wait until the Summer Big 4 shows with Metallica and then later the Slayer/Megadeth shows. They are gonna pull out all the stops for those. You can bet on deep cuts from KIMB, Peace Sells & SFSGSW.

+++

The big deal with the RIP 20th tour is not the hits. It is the little played RIP songs. They have NEVER played 5 Magics. That alone is enough to go for. Then you throw in RIP......Polaris. Well FUCK, that is going to rock.

Best part might be Dawn Patrol though with Junior back on Bass.........lol...

WACF
02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I was hoping for Hook In Mouth since they have mentioned playing it.

Regardless...I heard Rattlehead on the Slayer tour last June...that was cool.

March 8th I'll be checking this out.

kissfan1976
02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I'd like to see Angry Again & Kill The King on the setlist.

binnie
02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I saw Megadeth do 'Hook In Mouth' yeeeeeeras ago. It completelu changed the way I viewed the song, so very, very cool live.

'Black Friday' would be so cool; 'Devil's Island' would be amazing if Mustaine can still sing it; 'Train of Consequences' hasn't been in the setlist for years; and I'd love to hear 'Skull Beneath The Skin'

sadaist
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Like I said above, wait until the Summer Big 4 shows with Metallica and then later the Slayer/Megadeth shows. They are gonna pull out all the stops for those. You can bet on deep cuts from KIMB, Peace Sells & SFSGSW.

Hmmm.....

Mechanix vs Four Horsemen showdown live?

atomicpunk5151
02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Hmmm.....

Mechanix vs Four Horsemen showdown live?

You would have to think that those 2 songs will be off limits....lol...

BUT, it would be pretty cool if Met let DAve M going them on stage for a song. Again, very unlikely. Kirk would probably cry.

atomicpunk5151
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I saw Megadeth do 'Hook In Mouth' yeeeeeeras ago. It completelu changed the way I viewed the song, so very, very cool live.

'Black Friday' would be so cool; 'Devil's Island' would be amazing if Mustaine can still sing it; 'Train of Consequences' hasn't been in the setlist for years; and I'd love to hear 'Skull Beneath The Skin'

Megadeth actually did Hook in Mouth about 5 times in 2009. They don't break it out to often.

Here is the LIVE version from 2001 Rude Awakening DVD

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rn9MhK2iKk4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rn9MhK2iKk4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

At 2:00 in Dave M does a bit of Halenesque 2 hand tapping as was the rage at the time. again at 2:54.

+++++

Also here is Hook in Mouth from 1988

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50HWV3bDGe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50HWV3bDGe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

++++

sadaist
02-17-2010, 01:36 AM
You would have to think that those 2 songs will be off limits....lol...

BUT, it would be pretty cool if Met let DAve M going them on stage for a song. Again, very unlikely. Kirk would probably cry.

Shame, considering Mustaine wrote them both. I wonder how many old Mustaine penned songs Metallica will bust out on that tour.

atomicpunk5151
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Great metal heads think alike :D

'Endgame' was certainly more consistent than 'UA', but the latter had by far the strong, more head-crushingly heavy songs, IMO, and Dave's vocals were superior.

With all this talk about songs on Endgame vs UA it actuall got me thinking about the last 3 cds Megadeth has but out.

I think my favorite 2000 era song might actually be off "The System has Failed". Blackmail the Universe might be the strongest song off the last 3 cds. Chris Poland shreads the solos on that cd.

Off the top of my head some other stand out tracks from the last 3....

Kick the Chair
Tear in a Vial

Washington is Next
Sleepwalker
Burnt Ice

This day we fight
Head Crusher
Right to go insane

What do you guys think?

binnie
02-18-2010, 01:51 PM
"System..." certainly had some killer tunes on it, but it had a lot of weaker moments too. To my ears, Megadeth felt less like a band and more like a Mustaine solo gig at that point, especially on the second half of that album - what changed with UA and Endgame was the feeling of a 'band' honed on the road and on fire.

"System..." also over did the guitar widdling as well, IMO. Some of the songs become lost under it. Andy Sneap was clever on the last two records, he kept the balance between "OMG soloing" and "Fuck me this is going on a bit" firmly on the side of the former.

Top Jimmy
02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Washington Is Next was my favorite track on that cd, for sure...
killer rhythm section on that...

atomicpunk5151
02-18-2010, 11:46 PM
"System..." certainly had some killer tunes on it, but it had a lot of weaker moments too. To my ears, Megadeth felt less like a band and more like a Mustaine solo gig at that point, especially on the second half of that album - what changed with UA and Endgame was the feeling of a 'band' honed on the road and on fire.

I can agree with that as far as complete cds go for the last 3.

My point was that even though TSHF was the weaker of the 3 laters cds, it may have had the best individual song on it in Blackmail the Universe.

Blackmail the Universe is just a great riff with some great solo guitar work as well. Drums are killer as well.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLlfej7bbAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLlfej7bbAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

also a LIVE version

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlbhzLVBbPw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlbhzLVBbPw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FUCK! That crowd in Buenos Aires is INSANE!

atomicpunk5151
02-24-2010, 06:12 PM

The Conjuring would be cool to play on the Megs/Slayer tour. Been listening to it a lot lately.

BUT, damn it is a fast song to play LIVE...

Check out this "Drum Camera" angle on Nick Menza from 1990 during The Conjuring. He is nailin some tough drums ala Gar S.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZU6pPTVlsuI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZU6pPTVlsuI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Binnie, Do you think Shawn Drover could handle this one live?