PDA

View Full Version : Earthquakes in the MidWest... WTF?

ZahZoo
02-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Was rudely awakened by a 4.3 magnitude earthquake this morning that was centered about 50 miles northwest of Chicago...

I'm up in northeast Iowa. Having grown up in California this is nothing new but still sort of freaky. Thought it was a snow plow but it was way too loud and the whole house was shaking... go figure...

Dr. Love
02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Sorry to hear that you were exposed to extreme ground shaking...

twonabomber
02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
there was a quake here a week ago, 2.1 on the scale. closer to the lake and to where i work, a lot of the recent ones have been centered out in Lake Erie.

we got hit by a decent one in January of '86, a 4.96. my senior year, i remember leaving school early after that.

Nickdfresh
02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
There's a major fault line running through the eastern half of the United States. We had a noticeable earth quake in these parts when I was a kid in the early 80s...

hambon4lif
02-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Was rudely awakened by a 4.3 magnitude earthquake this morning that was centered about 50 miles northwest of Chicago...
Having grown up in California this is nothing new but still sort of freaky.Yeah...it was centered in DeKalb, which is about 10 minutes from here.
I haven't felt one of those since I left Cali years ago, but I was surprised at how prepared I was when the fucker hit. Guess it never leaves your system.

It lasted for quite a bit, but no reports of damage or injuries have been reported at all, which is cool.

still.....freaky shit!

Nitro Express
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
We've been having more earthquakes north of here in Yellowstone Park. You don't feel them due to the ground being malable due to the heat but the sensors do. Also parts of the cauldera have bulged up. Toxic gas vented in the Norris gyser basin poisoning a herd of bison to death. That area is now off limits to people in the park.

Nitro Express
02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
They don't think a catastrophic super volcanic eruption will happen anytime soon but the area shows signs of smaller volcanic eruptions. Who knows we could have a volcano venting in the near future up there.

Nitro Express
02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I know some people who were in the Northridge quake. A friend of mine had all his rental property destroyed and it ruined him. You can't afford enough insurance to cover everything.

Nitro Express
02-10-2010, 01:02 PM
There's a major fault line running through the eastern half of the United States. We had a noticeable earth quake in these parts when I was a kid in the early 80s...

I believe the Mississippi fault line is the second largest one in the country next to the San Andreas. They say a big one could hit along that. The last time a big one hit in the 1700's it rang church bells in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Hardrock69
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah. There was a magnitude 3 or 4 quake over around Memphis a few years ago. Some peeps in Gnashville said they felt it, but I was sleeping at the time, and would never have known about it had they not announced it on the news.