PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuclear' Iran marks Islamic revolution

kwame k
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
TEHRAN (AFP) – Iran declared itself a nuclear nation on Thursday as it marked the Islamic revolution's 31st anniversary and launched what Washington called an "unprecedented" crackdown on opposition supporters.

The elite Revolutionary Guards and police had warned they would clamp down heavily on any protests which, since they first erupted last June, have threatened the very pillars of the Islamic regime and split the senior clergy.
As vast crowds massed in Tehran to mark the 1979 revolution, the security forces attacked opposition leaders Mohammad Khatami and Mehdi Karroubi while clashing with their supporters, an opposition website said.

The State Department said later that US monitoring showed Iran had attempted "a near total information blockade" to deal with the protestors, which a spokeman labelled as an "unprecedented, overwhelming step."

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad used a keynote address to hundreds of thousands in Azadi (Freedom) Square to boast Iran was now a nuclear nation as he announced the production of its first highly enriched uranium.

"One day they said we cannot enrich uranium, but with the resistance of our leader, nation ... and with the help of God, the Iranian nation has become nuclear," he said, defying mounting Western calls for new UN sanctions.
The European Union warned later that it would announce new sanctions within "days or weeks" even if the UN Security Council failed to do so.

Iran had previously enriched uranium to just 3.5 percent but has started enriching it to the higher level required for a Tehran medical research reactor after snubbing a UN-drafted plan for the nuclear fuel to be supplied by France and Russia.

"Even if this is the first time we enriched to this level, the process is working perfectly," Salehi said.

The rest here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100211/ts_afp/iranrevolutionanniversary)

kwame k
02-11-2010, 07:35 PM
OK, let me get this straight, you're grooving down on the 31st anniversary of the revolution, watching the parade and having a smashing afternoon.....

How can I give a speech that can top this day? I know! I'll say we are a Nuclear Nation now..... not like that could come back and bite me in the ass.

Unchainme
02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
won't the sanctions be in effect useless?

I mean, Iran can just get the stuff it needs from the Chicoms and Russians to supply them with whatever they want.

Really a bad situation all around.

kwame k
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
They haven't detonated a device yet so any claims they are making is just that, all talk.

sadaist
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
They haven't detonated a device yet so any claims they are making is just that, all talk.

So is any talk that they want to negotiate and be reasonable. They do not. They want one thing and one thing only....Israel to be gone. Make no bones about it, Iran is going to be Obamas cross to bear. Anything else happening right now is small potatoes.

kwame k
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
So is any talk that they want to negotiate and be reasonable. They do not. They want one thing and one thing only....Israel to be gone. Make no bones about it, Iran is going to be Obamas cross to bear. Anything else happening right now is small potatoes.

I really don't care who they want gone...I do not what Iran to have the bomb.
Jesus Christ! North Korea and Iran going nuclear....it's like a bad sci-fi movie.

Did Bush do anything right? You can't tell me Iran in just the last year....built and started/perfected their nuclear program. How in the fuck did we let North Korea get this far? What's next? Yemen announces they have nukes ...... I'm thinking of building The Bunker, Lucy :)

I'm not saying we are the only ones who should have nuclear weapons because frankly, we're the only country in the world that has a history of using them. We obviously can't be trusted and we're the good guys ;)

The other thing that pisses me off is the rest of the fucking world! We're the only ones in charge of stopping these guys, yet when we fail, the rest of the world bitches at us.

Why don't the rest of you fuckers step up to the plate and be the World's Police, we suck at it. England, Germany, France and the rest of the sane World where the fuck are you guys?

sadaist
02-12-2010, 01:20 AM
I think you misunderstood when I said this is Obamas cross to bear. I didn't mean it's his fault for it getting to this point. But it sure is on his plate now. And he isn't going to be able to ignore it for 3 or 7 years to pass on to anyone else.

kwame k
02-12-2010, 01:23 AM
I think you misunderstood when I said this is Obamas cross to bear. I didn't mean it's his fault for it getting to this point. But it sure is on his plate now. And he isn't going to be able to ignore it for 3 or 7 years to pass on to anyone else.

No, Saddie I was just off to the races......totally got what you were saying.

BITEYOASS
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Iran can boast about their nuclear BS all they want. But I doubt their so called nuclear devices even work. I'm just waiting for the day when a chernobyl-like accident occurs at one of their facilities. They'll probably blame Israel for it so they can hide their incompetence. Then Achmedinablowjob will get over thrown and the nuclear program will come to an end. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if their safety standards are lax.

On a side note, you wonder why a lot of terrorists groups don't use any nuclear devices? That's because whoever handles their radioactive material doesn't use safety equipment and dies of radiation poisoning soon after. Trust me, lack of operational safety is probably why we haven't been attacked yet.