PDA

View Full Version : Links to Spirituality Found in the Brain

kwame k
02-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality. The findings hint at the roots of spiritual and religious attitudes, the researchers say.

The study, published in the Feb. 11 issue of the journal Neuron, involves a personality trait called self-transcendence, which is a somewhat vague measure of spiritual feeling, thinking, and behaviors. Self-transcendence "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole," the researchers explain.

Before and after surgery, the scientists surveyed patients who had brain tumors removed. The surveys generate self-transcendence scores.

Selective damage to the left and right posterior parietal regions of the brain induced a specific increase in self-transcendence, or ST, the surveys showed.

"Our symptom-lesion mapping study is the first demonstration of a causative link between brain functioning and ST," said Dr. Cosimo Urgesi from the University of Udine in Italy. "Damage to posterior parietal areas induced unusually fast changes of a stable personality dimension related to transcendental self-referential awareness. Thus, dysfunctional parietal neural activity may underpin altered spiritual and religious attitudes and behaviors."
Previous neuroimaging studies had linked activity within a large network in the brain that connects the frontal, parietal, and temporal cortexes with spiritual experiences, "but information on the causative link between such a network and spirituality is lacking," explains lead study author, Urgesi said.

One study, reported in 2008, suggested that the brain's right parietal lobe defines "Me," and people with less active Me-Definers are more likely to lead spiritual lives.

Rest here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/linkstospiritualityfoundinthebrain)

kwame k
02-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality.

So to get closer to God, we have to have brain damage :baaa:

Coyote
02-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Suddenly, all those Born Again Christians seem different...

Anonymous
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Not really... it does confirm what goes through your own mind when you listen to them speak, though.

Cheers! :bottle:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-13-2010, 12:28 PM
And we wonder why the world is so fucked up....

Coyote
02-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Not really... it does confirm what goes through your own mind when you listen to them speak, though.

Something about 10-pound mallets (and the possible jailtime afterwards) or duct tape...

kwame k
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I hear Charlie Brown's teacher's voice........

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUyLwXhqlWU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUyLwXhqlWU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Anonymous
02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Something about 10-pound mallets (and the possible jailtime afterwards) or duct tape...

Well... I meant thinking "wot a retard!", but yours is good too.

Some say a little extreme, but not more so than the stupidity of those people...

thome
02-13-2010, 01:01 PM
HOLY DAIN BRAMMAGE EPIPANY BATMAN!!

If this is true, I must be Jesus!

kwame k
02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Although it was a study about spirituality and I don't lump religion in with a spiritual awareness but you do get the feeling you have to be incredibly naive or gullible to believe in organized religion.

On a side track here.... autistic people who never play an instrument, pick it up and are virtuosos, is fascinating....almost like what they say about losing a sense...your other senses pick up the slack......except Ace's Rain Man like affinity for dates and times ;) that's just plain annoying.

kwame k
02-13-2010, 01:05 PM
HOLY DAIN BRAMMAGE EPIPANY BATMAN!!

If this is true, I must be Jesus!

No argument here.......

Coyote
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Well... I meant thinking "wot a retard!", but yours is good too.

That's the first few minutes... The sledgehammer bit pops in 30 seconds later...

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 03:48 PM
So to get closer to God, we have to have brain damage :baaa:
:lmao:
but i am so very anti-religion..........guess i'm the exception to that rule.
:lol:

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
i just love it when science vindicates me.
well, it just confirms my standpoint that christians are fucking retarded.
only a complete retard could believe in that nonsense anyway, regardless of the fact that science and history have proven most of it to be utter bullshit.
but hey, they don't let something like the truth get in their way.....:rolleyes:
:gulp:

MAX
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
but i am so very anti-religion..........guess i'm the exception to that rule.

I thought you worshipped Satan?

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 03:53 PM

the sudden urge to vomit, laugh, and cry all at the same time because of how
fucking stupid it all sounds?

MAX
02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
well, it just confirms my standpoint that christians are fucking retarded.
only a complete retard could believe in that nonsesne anyway, regardless of the fact that science and history have proven most of it to be utter bullshit.
but hey, they don't let something like the truth get in their way.....:rolleyes:

Shut the fuck up you fat imbicile!!!

Fuck, just when I think you couldn't possibly prove your ignorance prior, you cuntinously out do yourself.

Fuck, I'm now convinced whatever brain your (body) posesses seems to operate (or lack thereof) from your empty scrotum on the one side.

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
I thought you worshipped Satan?

naw.......i just say that to piss off and offend the christians.
it's quite a lot of fun.

MAX
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
the sudden urge to vomit, laugh, and cry all at the same time because of how
fucking stupid it all sounds?

Hey one nut, it's easy to alleviate such symptoms. Simply refrain from looking at yourself in said mirror or any reflective materials and/or discontinue the practice of reading your own posts.

That empty one-sided ballsack of yours isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Shut the fuck up you fat imbicile!!!

Fuck, just when I think you couldn't possibly prove your ignorance prior, you cuntinously out do yourself.

Fuck, I'm now convinced whatever brain your (body) posesses seems to operate (or lack thereof) from your empty scrotum on the one side.

oh, i'm sorry max, did i offend you?
are your precious little feathers ruffled?
what's the matter, maxi-pad,
did i clip your wings?
does the truth hurt?
oh, you poor little baby.........
:rolleyes:

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey one nut, it's easy to alleviate such symptoms. Simply refrain from looking at yourself in said mirror or any reflective materials and/or discontinue the practice of reading your own posts.

That empty one-sided ballsack of yours isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

i'm sorry, i cunt hear you, i have a slut inner ear infucktion.........maybe i'll finger it out later.

MAX
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
oh, i'm sorry max, did i offend you?
are your precious little feathers ruffled?
what's the matter, maxi-pad,
did i clip your wings?
does the truth hurt?
oh, you poor little baby.........
:rolleyes:

Hey one nut...

English please?

Thank you.

chefcraig
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
the sudden urge to vomit, laugh, and cry all at the same time because of how fucking stupid it all sounds?

Stop quoting from your album reviews, ace.

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey one nut...

English please?

Thank you.

i'm american. i speak american.
if you live in america, for fuck sake speak american dammit!
let the english, in ENGLAND, speak english.
it's a totally different language.

ace diamond
02-16-2010, 04:36 PM

i didn't know that was one of my album reviews.
linkage please.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Amazon.co.uk: Music That Makes Me Puke (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-That-Makes-Me-Puke/lm/R2NI3XDXUGRIKV)

Music That Makes Me Puke
A Listmania! list by CarlosPeterGaryJohn

1. ACE DIAMOND'S MUSIC
The list author says:
"So being groaned at 9 times makes you bulletproof does it? If i had been groaned at 9 times I would be worried that 9 people despise me so much they groaned me, not gloat about it."
£3.48 Used & New from: £1.09
(68 customer reviews)

Create your own Listmania! with this product

2. Doctor's Advocate by The Game
The list author says:
"Just as bad as 50 C*nt above, no talent what so ever here, learn to play an instrument."
£3.48 Used & New from: £1.70
(15 customer reviews)

3. The Sound of Girls Aloud by Girls Aloud
The list author says:
"Manufactured, talentless pop group, who found fame on a reality tv show, they don't play instruments, or write their own songs, infact, they just cover."
£2.98 Used & New from: £1.48
(30 customer reviews)

4. Dangerously in Love by Beyonce
The list author says:
"As woeful as this album is, I would just like to point out that at least popstars (some of them) sing (even though singing isn't a difficult talent) rather than rap, were they just have no talent."
£4.48 Used & New from: £1.97
(96 customer reviews)

PETE'S BROTHER
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
it is impossible to watch and not tell ace to fuck off. it is almost as tuff as quittin' smokin':pullinghair:

standin
02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.guardianangel.in/ga//uploads/mailer_pics/WorksBook.jpg

http://larrywho.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mother_teresa_love.jpg

http://www.sistersofembracement.org/images/MotherTheresa.jpg

ace diamond
02-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Amazon.co.uk: Music That Makes Me Puke (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-That-Makes-Me-Puke/lm/R2NI3XDXUGRIKV)

Music That Makes Me Puke
A Listmania! list by CarlosPeterGaryJohn

1. ACE DIAMOND'S MUSIC
The list author says:
"So being groaned at 9 times makes you bulletproof does it? If i had been groaned at 9 times I would be worried that 9 people despise me so much they groaned me, not gloat about it."
£3.48 Used & New from: £1.09
(68 customer reviews)

2. Doctor's Advocate by The Game
The list author says:
"Just as bad as 50 C*nt above, no talent what so ever here, learn to play an instrument."
£3.48 Used & New from: £1.70
(15 customer reviews)

3. The Sound of Girls Aloud by Girls Aloud
The list author says:
"Manufactured, talentless pop group, who found fame on a reality tv show, they don't play instruments, or write their own songs, infact, they just cover."
£2.98 Used & New from: £1.48
(30 customer reviews)

4. Dangerously in Love by Beyonce
The list author says:
"As woeful as this album is, I would just like to point out that at least popstars (some of them) sing (even though singing isn't a difficult talent) rather than rap, were they just have no talent."
£4.48 Used & New from: £1.97
(96 customer reviews)

you fail.
i followed the link.
i'm not on that list.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-20-2010, 08:23 PM
you fail.
i followed the link.
i'm not on that list.

YOU checked? and I failed?:umm: