PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Brits here..

Unchainme
02-14-2010, 05:08 PM
..why does this Russell Brand fella' keep getting pushed into movie roles and hosting the VMA's? I don't really find him all that funny and he just comes off as a douche. I've heard several Brits don't like him all that much here

Come on guys, I love your brand of comedy, thanks to you guys we were exposed to "The Office" and "Monty Python", not to mention the great Benny Hill.

On a flip side, why not let us see some of Charlie Brooker over here? I really enjoyed his screen wipe clips I find on youtube, and some of his articles online were really well done.

Seshmeister
02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Brand divides opinion here too, some people love him other people hate him. He's been keeping his head down recently and not on TV here much partly because I guess he's over trying to make it in the US.

He is very much an affectation, he is not real, basically he is playing a character. I've seen video of him from just 4 or 5 years ago and he didn't act or talk anything like the way he carrys on now.

Brooker is great I'm a big fan. You have Jon Stewart who I watch nightly but I prefer Brooker who is much darker. He has a couple of books out you may be able to get on Amazon.

Terry
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Brand is okay.

For a bit there he was being overexposed in a way that what he does bring to the table simply didn't justify, far as I could see. I'll agree it does seem to be a bit dialed back as of late.

If Brand is currently playing a character, he may want take a page from Cohen's playbook and consider mixing it up a little bit, if not outright changing it. The act is getting slightly stale.

Seshmeister
02-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah it started to get tiresome here after a bit. Im not sure he thinks of it as a character like Borat more that he has invented this persona for himself.

It doesn't make it not false though just because he plays it 24/7

Dan
02-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Russell Brand Is A Funny SOB.:D

Plus He's Dating,Katy Perry.:D

binnie
02-15-2010, 06:49 AM
I imagine the Brand has to hold back a little when he's hosting awards ceremonies, and certainly when he's in films. His stand-up stuff is pretty darker and, unsurprisingly, off the wall. He's sort of a cross between a Dickensian gentleman and a crackhead.

Not really my bag, but its entertaining in small doses.