PDA

View Full Version : Senator John Cougar Mellencamp??

FORD
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Seems that worthless DLC tool and corporate whore Evan Bayh is not running for re election to the Senate. Good riddance to that piece of shit, but who's going to replace him?

Why not Indiana's most famous liberal populist, John Mellencamp?

If Al Franken and Herr Gropenator can get elected, why the Hell not?

Va Beach VH Fan
02-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Someone call Larry Bird....

LoungeMachine
02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Or Larry the interventionist....

FORD's on something

:gulp:

Unchainme
02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Someone call Larry Bird....

Or Bob Knight. :biggrin:

Larry Bird is auctually pretty private and quiet now-a-days, hell even back in the day, I heard he wasn't exactly to public. Doubt he'd run for office.

But damn, was he a badass, my dad was a student at ISU at the time and STILL talks about how awesome he was.

FORD
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I think he could win. Hell, if you look at the first article on his website, you might think he was a political candidate already.

Unchainme
02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I think he could win. Hell, if you look at the first article on his website, you might think he was a political candidate already.

Based purely on name recognition? Yeah, I mean he's pretty well thought of by Hoosiers. My dad loves his music and he's politically a conservative.

FORD
02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/joNzRzZhR2Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/joNzRzZhR2Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BigBadBrian
02-16-2010, 05:48 AM

You ever hear him speak? He makes Sarah Palin sound like a Rhode's Scholar.

LoungeMachine
02-16-2010, 06:11 AM

But then again, so do you......

:gulp:

bueno bob
02-16-2010, 06:19 AM
He makes Sarah Palin sound like a Rhode's Scholar.

Hello signature...

Panamark
02-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey where do melons go for their holidays ??

John Cougar's Melon camp !!!

Of course !

Hey JCM's english is better than Arnie Cali-Boi !

BigBadBrian
02-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Hello signature...

I never said she was a member of Mensa. Just more intelligent than you and most other liberals...including all of the "progressives" on this board.

Have a great day, Shortbus!

Panamark
02-16-2010, 08:34 AM
BBB !

Welcome Back,I never shook you up too much as
Oz politics are not really a big thing here.
But great to have you around again.....
Your reputation proceeds you,
good onya mate !

Va Beach VH Fan
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM

It's Rhodes Scholar BBB, I'm here to help... :D

For example, one of your favorites I'm sure, Rachel Maddow is one.... ;)

FORD
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Looks like The Nation is on board......

Senator Mellencamp?
John Nichols John Nichols Tue Feb 16, 8:14 am ET

The Nation -- The guy who put populist politics on the charts with a song title "Pink Houses" John Mellencamp performed at the White House last week, as part of a program titled: "In Performance at the White House: A Celebration of Music from the Civil Rights Movement."

The Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame member sang the song "Jim Crow" with veteran folkie Joan Baez -- as well as a terrific song version of "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize" -- on a night that also featured performances by Smokey Robinson, Natalie Cole, Yolanda Adams, the Five Blind Boys from Alabama and Bob Dylan, among others.

That was powerful company, but Mellencamp was up to it.

For the past quarter century, he has been penning and performing smart, often very political songs -- focusing on the farm crisis, economic hard times and race relations. He's been a key organizer of Farm Aid and other fund-raising events for good causes, and he's been a steady presence on the campaign trail in recent years, appearing at the side of numerous Democratic presidential candidates, including Barack Obama.

So, could Mellencamp perform in the U.S. Senate?

Could he be the right replacement for retiring Senator Evan Bayh, D-Indiana?

Forget the blah-blah-blah about celebrities in politics. We crossed that bridge decades ago.

The question is whether this celebrity makes the right connections with this state.

Mellencamp certainly has the home-state credibility. Few rockers have been so closely associated with a state as Mellencamp with Indiana.

Mellencamp has a history of issue-oriented political engagement that is the rival of any of the Democratic politicians who are being considered as possible Bayh replacements.

And Mellencamp has something else. He has a record of standing up for disenfranchised and disenchanted working-class families in places like his hometown of Seymour, Indiana.

In other words, he's worthy of the consideration that has led to talk of a "Draft John Mellencamp" movement. In fact, he might be just enough of an outlier to energize base votes and to make independent voters look again at the Democratic column.

Mellencamp's not making any campaign moves.

He's a savvy player who has been around power politics for a long time -- he counts Bill Clinton as a pal -- and he's smart enough (and humble enough) to know that the leap from rock star to senate candidate is a long one.

But John Hall, the songwriter and leader of the band Orleans, is now a two-term Democratic congressman from New York.

And the Republicans have run more than a few actors for jobs like senator, governor and even president.

Notably, President Ronald Reagan's 1984 reelection campaign wanted to use the song "Pink Houses" at campaign events. And John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign did indeed use it, even as Mellencamp explained that the Arizona senator might not fully "get" the point of the song about working families living on the backroads of America.

So Mellencamp has already crossed some partisan and ideological lines.

That's more than can be said for most Senate prospects -- be they Democrats or Republicans.

FORD
02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Mellencamp for Senate?
By Eric Zimmermann - 02/17/10 03:12 PM ET

There's a small but growing movement to draft John Mellencamp for Senate in Indiana. A Facebook group urging the singer-songwriter to run as the Democratic candidate to replace Bayh has gathered almost 1000 members.

Mellencamp's team is silent on the issue, but Mellencamp did comment on his political aspirations (or lack thereof) in response to a question in Blender magazine back in 2007:

What’s the first thing you’d do if you were elected president?
Scheny44, Tubac, AZ

I’d start diplomatic conversations with the Middle East, right now. Even the people I don’t agree with. Next, I’d get rid of fossil fuels. Then I’d solve the health-care crisis. And then I’d put some money into helping poor people get out of the gutter. There was actually a guy who tried to get me to run for governor of Indiana — but I sleep until 11 in the morning and stay up till three. I don’t think the legislature could keep my hours.

That might actually work: Senators rarely vote before 11am anyway.

Mellencamp for Senate? - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room (http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/81739-mellencamp-for-senate)

Unchainme
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Notably, President Ronald Reagan's 1984 reelection campaign wanted to use the song "Pink Houses" at campaign events. And John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign did indeed use it, even as Mellencamp explained that the Arizona senator might not fully "get" the point of the song about working families living on the backroads of America.

See and that sort of confused me, as to his intent with the song.

YouTube - John Mellencamp Pink Houses Live 1983 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdXm_IOyaQ)

I know it's not a cheesey "Proud to be american" Lee Greenwood cunt-ry piece, but I thought it was overall in a positive tone about his homestate and the midwest, but then you have a pretty angry verse in regards down to the people "that go to work in some high rise and vacation down at the gulf of mexico..". It's not angry in the vein of "Born in the USA", but perhaps I'm wrong on that as well.

I think he may have a shot, as Indiana down near Terre Haute/Bloomington is more democratic, according to my dad who went to school down there. (NOT at IU..f-that place).

thome
02-17-2010, 11:05 PM
If he would try and write something that wasn't anti, "look I really ain't a rich guy, I am against corporate banking and I am just a regular guy"

He could get back to turning out some of Americas greatest tunes.

As a Senator it would be a waste of natural rescourses.

Politics should be left to talentless people who want to be on stage.

myop

FORD
02-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Holy shit.... even the Christian Science Monitor is picking up on this.....

John Mellencamp: Replacement for Evan Bayh in Senate?

Grassroots efforts are under way to draft rock musician John Mellencamp as a replacement for retiring Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana.

By Mark Guarino Staff writer
posted February 17, 2010 at 5:47 pm EST
Chicago

As Indiana Democratic leaders scramble to replace Evan Bayh in the US Senate race, one name is emerging from left field: rock musician John Mellencamp.

When questioned Wednesday, Mellencamp publicist Bob Merlis responded to the Monitor via e-mail this way: “As of now, there is no response.” The lack of an answer — which was the same given to the Indianapolis Star Wednesday — is helping the Internet rumor mill churn even faster.

Grassroots efforts are urging Mr. Mellencamp to take the leap. On MSNBC Tuesday, Katrina Van Heuvel, editor of The Nation, suggested that Mellencamp could be a “populist candidate” as someone “who worked very hard for farmers who faced foreclosures” and “a Heartland son of Indiana.”

Chicago film critic Roger Ebert suggested a Mellencamp candidacy via Twitter Monday. A Facebook page dedicated to drafting Mellencamp as a candidate had 940 members by mid-Wednesday. An online petition via CitizenSpeak calls the singer “someone who can win this November” and “a staunch advocate for Hoosiers of all backgrounds.”

Mellencamp is revered in his home state, where he continues to live, record music, and raise a family. Best known for hits like “Pink Houses,” “Jack and Diane,” and “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.,” he is also a staunch Democrat who campaigned for Barack Obama.

Along with Neil Young and Willie Nelson, he is also one of the cofounders of Farm Aid, the annual music festival and organization that is in its 25th year of raising money for family-run farms.

Mellencamp's music is known for its populist themes, which have roots in his upbringing in rural Indiana, where his grandparents were farmers. In 2003, he posted a letter to CommonDreams.org, which called the invasion of Iraq “a political hijacking.”

The letter – also credited to his wife, Elaine – defended his position with the following: “Before a single bomb was ever dropped, some of us, formerly called the 'anti-American and unpatriotic,' have questioned or opposed this war. Now, each day, as the dust settles and the truth slowly surfaces, more and more people come to the inevitable conclusion of what a debacle this whole war was.”

Despite a long career as a hitmaker, Mellencamp has kept a low profile in recent years. He has not toured and is releasing albums that are more folk in tone and politically charged.

His stature in the state is formidable, but not enough for some experts to say that he has a chance if picked to run in the November midterm election.

“I’d be amazed,” says Brian S. Vargus, who teaches political science at Indiana University. “That would almost be as shocking as Evan’s timing” not to run for his Senate seat again.

“Indiana politics is a strange animal,” Mr. Vargus admits, adding this about a possible Mellencamp run: “If it could happen, anything could.”

-----

Follow us on Twitter.

© The Christian Science Monitor. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Policy.

Nitro Express
02-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Larry Bird and Danny Ainge were eating at the next table when we were having lunch at the old Hotel Utah (many moons ago). What got my attention was how stupid one of them sounded and the dumb sounding guy was Larry Bird. If you think Sarah Palin sounds dumb get Bird behind a microphone.

BigBadBrian
02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Seems that worthless DLC tool and corporate whore Evan Bayh is not running for re election to the Senate.

Whaddya know...an intelligent Democrat.

Heading for the hills before the bubble pops.

The Senate will be Republican after this November.

FORD
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Whaddya know...an intelligent Democrat.

He is neither intelligent, nor a Democrat.

And he's more than likely leaving to take a lobbyist job like the fucking thief and coward that he is.

BigBadBrian
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
He is neither intelligent, nor a Democrat.

And he's more than likely leaving to take a lobbyist job like the fucking thief and coward that he is.

So you think a moderate in your party is a thief and a coward?

That's just as bad as some conservatives say others aren't "Republican enough."

I have no sympathy for either type.

FORD
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM
So you think a moderate in your party is a thief and a coward?

That's just as bad as some conservatives say others aren't "Republican enough."

I have no sympathy for either type.

The DLC are not moderates. They are right wing corporatists.

Howard Dean is a moderate. I'm fine with actual moderates.

Kristy
02-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Oh gawd, NO! Please, no.

And Mellencamp is hardly a liberal populist as is he a foul-mouthed, chain-smoking, ego-centric cretin - so maybe he could fit in with politics quite easily when you think about it. Saw him in concert once t'was an experience I'll never forget.

FORD
02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XR5HuJU0Ndw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XR5HuJU0Ndw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kristy
02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh I don't know if his whole newly founded Woody Guthrie persona is going help him.

GAR
02-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Oh I don't know if his whole newly founded Woody Guthrie persona is going help him.

What is wrong with his hairpiece?

SilvioDante
02-27-2010, 08:19 AM
I think he may have a shot, as Indiana down near Terre Haute/Bloomington is more democratic, according to my dad who went to school down there. (NOT at IU..f-that place).

Being a Hoosier, I'll say this, it wouldn't be a slam dunk for him. B-town (I will try to ignore the IU comment), Terre Haute and Gary/East Chicago are Dem strong holds. Evansville goes back and forth but mostly Dem because of the Union presence, but the unions are dying out with the jobs. The rest is conservative farmland. Indiana has had a Dem and a Rep as senators at the same time (and does now), the governorship goes back and forth alot.

I think he'd have a hard time. His fame isn't going to carry him....

FORD
02-27-2010, 01:06 PM
But Mellencamp, a founder of Farm Aid, and a scion of a farming family himself, might resonate with those conservative farmers better than another candidate who knows nothing about farming. If Evan Bayh didn't have his father's name, he probably never would have been elected there.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YDfHja4EcK0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YDfHja4EcK0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>