PDA

View Full Version : Substitutes, who was better ? Hagar or Cherone ??

Panamark
02-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Fucked up question, just like highlander, there can only be one !

But Cherone v Hagar ???

I hate to say this, but I think Cherone walked all over
Hagar......

Please discuss.. Its a clear decison.

Junglestud
02-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Who are these guys?

binnie
02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, at least Cherone would sing the old tunes and seemed to have nothing but respect for CVH.

VHIII was fucking terrible mind....

chefcraig
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
This is like being asked to choose between the second Darren on Bewitched and Kirstie Alli on Cheers. And don't even get me started on all of the subsequent actors playing Dr. Who after Tom Baker.

kwame k
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Well, at least Cherone would sing the old tunes and seemed to have nothing but respect for CVH.

VHIII was fucking terrible mind....

Lame front man but smart enough to realize that CVH was the shit.....

Also, by VHIII tanking the way it did was another step to getting Dave back in the band.

So on those two fronts, I agree.

Marky, couldn't you change the title of the thread to.....who sucked less ;)

binnie
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
This is like being asked to choose between the second Darren on Bewitched and Kirstie Alli on Cheers. And don't even get me started on all of the subsequent actors playing Dr. Who after Tom Baker.

Yeah, it is kinda like picking STIs.....

I'll take syphilis.....

chefcraig
02-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, it is kinda like picking STIs.....

I'll take syphilis.....

Really. If you had to be kicked in the nuts, would you rather it be your ex-wife wearing a steel toe work boot, or barefoot by an NFL punter?
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-crazy-016.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

binnie
02-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Really. [I]If you had to be kicked in the nuts, would you rather it be your ex-wife wearing a steel toe work boot, or barefoot by an NFL punter?

I'm speaking in a high pitched squeel just thinking about that!

I'll take the steel-toe boot...

Terry
02-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Far as general attitude towards the history of the band, Cherone had an attitude I could appreciate. While I don't know the guy, his general demeanor when speaking about the singers who came before him was pretty much reverential, particularly toward the CVH-era. He impressed me as guy who knew darn well that pretty much everybody outside of the Van Halens and Sam Hagar wanted to see David Lee Roth back with the band following the events of 1996. Cherone knew what that classic Van Halen music still meant to people and wasn't afraid of playing that stuff live if it would go some ways towards cushioning the blow of Roth being passed over. A futile gesture, perhaps, but at least the guy attempted to demonstrate some goodwill and understanding towards the fans...far more than the Van Halens were capable of at that point.

Sam Hagar put both feet in his mouth from day one far as showing any degree of respect to the fans of what Van Halen did with Roth (no easy feet getting BOTH feet in his mouth, considering his head was up his ass to being with). From his first interviews as a member of Van Halen, Hagar seemed all too willing to throw in his own derogatory comments about Roth along with Van Halens. Now, Hagar may well have just not cared much for what Roth brought to the band all along. Guy is entitled to his opinion. He's entitled to express it, too. Not questioning his rights so much as his brains: what in the fuck was he thinking even joining in on the back-and-forth bickering between the band and Roth? Why go out of your way to piss off a bunch of Van Halen's fans? Did he think most people WANTED Hagar in the band and were glad Roth left? Did he think slamming Roth would endear him to the Van Halens? Did it ever enter Hagar's mind that part of the reason Van Halen were so huge at that point had to do with Roth (or did he think the band was all about Eddie), or was Hagar so swept up in his own I Can't Drive 55 success that he thought he was in the same league as a solo artist that Van Halen were as a band? It was a mindset that only got worse when 5150 was released to a strong degree of commerical success (some of which could be attributed to the spectacular sales of 1984), and didn't diminish unlike, say, the album sales did, throughout Hagar's tenure with the band.

Hagar's mouth created a lot of the ill will towards Sam Halen before the first record was even released. While I'm no huge fan of Van Halen 3, Cherone at least had the smarts to realize the realities of fan sentiments regarding Roth and conduct himself accordingly.

Far as the music, I suppose Hagar has a better sense of his own limited style. Cherone came across in Van Halen much the way he did in Extreme...pretty non-descript in the lyric department and nothing much beyond average as a vocalist. In fact, Cherone even SOUNDS like a bit like Hagar on much of Van Halen 3. Much more so than he ever did in Extreme, almost to the point that it made we wonder if he was intentionally trying to emulate Hagar (perhaps some of Van Halen 3 was demoed with Hagar, and Cherone was just trying to go along with that vibe). I mean, I first heard Without You on the radio, announced as "Van Halen" with no mention of Cherone, and honestly thought it was a Van Hagar track I hadn't heard before.

LoungeMachine
02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Fucked up question, .

No shit.

The thread should have ended right there, Mate.

:gulp:

Next up:

Which is worse? Herpes or Ebola?

LoungeMachine
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM

I was never able to get over the wierdness of the 2 Darrens being named Dick Sargent and Dick York

Sargeant York?

Panamark
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
I was never able to get over the wierdness of the 2 Darrens being named Dick Sargent and Dick York

Sargeant York?

To get to Samantha, you had to be a "Dick"

ppg960
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
So far, Haggar - ZERO
Who would have thought???..................:hitch:

kissfan1976
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Who's Better, Hagar or Cherone?
I get sick just even thinking about this.
:puking-smiley:

VanHalenFan5150
04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Not a big fan or either but Cherone wins.

Big Troubles
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
who was better? fat or fag? omg. Jesus, I cant pick one.

I wont. Gary was just so fkn gay tho.... and Hagar? Ewww...fat and yellow. Thats all I think of.

Hagar always sang about love and food.

Cherone? Did he write any of VH3? I think that was all Ed and Hagar leftovers. Ok. Extreme was better than Hagar, so I choose Cherone. I feel gay for choosing him but I don't feel full listening to him.

jero
04-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Panamark, stop drinking in the morning dude!

hideyoursheep
04-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Best substitute?

Wolfie.

VanHalener
04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
I'd rather have this thing fronting the band than either of those two asshats...
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/vanhalener/IMG_0192.jpg
If it ain't Dave, it's a horror show!

Anonymous
04-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I hate you, VanHalener. Deeply.

I can't stop staring at that thing.

So many questions goin' thru my mind... what is it? Who thought it was a good idea to take a picture of it? WHO took the picture of it? Why do people do this to themselves?

Cheers! :bottle:

jero
04-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I hate you, VanHalener. Deeply.

I can't stop staring at that thing.

So many questions goin' thru my mind... what is it? Who thought it was a good idea to take a picture of it? WHO took the picture of it? Why do people do this to themselves?

Cheers! :bottle:

You are a pussylicker! Now go on and do your job. She's waiting outside for you

simarillion
05-10-2010, 03:25 AM
I just watched Josephina with Gary and Ed duet acoustic style and it was a lot more moving than any "deep" ballad Sammy got into. Sammy REEKS of cheese, such a poorly disguised imposter. :baaa:

78/84 guy
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
None of the above !!!

VanHalener
05-22-2010, 03:26 PM
A donkey banging some broad on stage is a better choice than having either of those imposters on stage trying to fill Dave's shoes. Come to think about it, it does sound a lot like a donkey banging some broad every time Spammy opens his mouth.

chefcraig
05-22-2010, 03:59 PM
A donkey banging some broad on stage is a better choice than having either of those imposters on stage trying to fill Dave's shoes. Come to think about it, it does sound a lot like a donkey banging some broad every time Spammy opens his mouth.

Now you can understand why you have to go through Tijuana to get to Cabo Wabo.

VanHalenFan5150
05-22-2010, 05:57 PM
I just really prefer Van Cherone over Van Hagar, mainly because Van Cherone represents a peak in the musical career of the band. Alright, yeah, Gary Cherone wasn't the best singer. But the music was still really good. I love all the songs off of Van Halen 3, even though it failed to marginally sell. Ed's guitar tone and playing were great, especially live. Alex's drumming was cool. Bass player's background vocals and bass harmonies were sweet.

Van Halen 3 Deserved A Better Chance.

chefcraig
05-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Van Halen 3 Deserved A Better Chance.

No, the listening audience did. VH III was a marginally produced, poorly recorded collection of incomplete ideas foisted on the public as songs. The awful production included capturing the sounds of amp buzz and incomplete bass parts, both courtesy of Edward Van Halen. Seriously, give the album a good listen on a decent stereo. Age has not diminished it's ghastliness. :barf:

Panamark
05-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Panamark, stop drinking in the morning dude!

I tried that, but my liver started to reject me... I couldn't even make it happy with
water and milk thistle ! Bring on the semi-detachable stem cell auxiliary liver I say !!!

Besides your morning is my night, and the biggest drinker I know is Dutch ?
He pours some crap on his cornflakes that is meant to taste like water..
Oh yes, I fell for that explanation once at 2am in the morning.....

Hey I was thinking of the title of this thread and thought, shit we could
interchange Peavey,Musicmann, Charvel etc with EVH ??

They were substitutes too for his original Fender ???

What about Peavey over Marshall ???? That must have been
a Hagar type suggestion.

The best tone ever and he wont even work with the equipment
that made it ??? Shit, could you imagine an EVH modded Plexi ??
He could hawk that right next to the current Fender Franki !!!

VanHalenFan5150
05-24-2010, 08:40 AM
I

Hey I was thinking of the title of this thread and thought, shit we could
interchange Peavey,Musicmann, Charvel etc with EVH ??

They were substitutes too for his original Fender ???

What about Peavey over Marshall ???? That must have been
a Hagar type suggestion.

The best tone ever and he wont even work with the equipment
that made it ??? Shit, could you imagine an EVH modded Plexi ??
He could hawk that right next to the current Fender Franki !!!

Sounds like a neat idea to me. He'd just have to get out his old head and let Fender replica it. That would be cool. Picture the ratty old cabs to be sold with it! :hee: Also, my favorite EVH tones are his tones from late 77 into 1979, and then 1986. His current tone leaves something to be desired and isn't very brown at all, just a sound that reeks to mindblowing overdriven tube distortion and a sparkle of reverb and maybe some presence. Am I right?

VAiN
06-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry for being late to the party... but as others stated, at least Cherone gave us CVH tunes. I caught them twice in 98 and got to hear songs that I had never heard live in my lifetime.. songs like I'm the One, Romeo Delight, Mean Street, Unchained and Dance the Night Away... Fucking spambo wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole... with the exception of Unchained - which he completely ruined with his woman-like screaming.

indeedido
06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Can I take door number three?

AJW
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Cherone. No contest.

heartbreaker
06-15-2010, 09:30 PM
This isn't really a fair comparison since Sammy was in the band for 10 years and 4 albums (not counting compilations) while Gary did 2 years and one album.

I agree that Cherone sounds a lot like Hagar at times on the "Van Halen 3" album, but (as I've said numerous times in the past and will continue to say in the future) I think the "Van Halen 3" album is A LOT better than Van Hagar's "Balance". Plus Gary's live shows reflected the Roth era as well and he had a great respect for the entire history of Van Halen and its fans.

Still, I do like some Hagar stuff (both Van Halen and solo). I like more solo Hagar songs than Extreme songs, but Tribe of Judah was decent. As far as Van Hagar is concerned, I think "5150" is brilliant and I also love "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" ... but let the record also show that I think "OU812" is dreadful!

If Van Halen had more collaborations with Gary I may have a different answer, but for now, I prefer the Hagar selections overall because there are more Van Hagar songs to choose from.

Diamondjimi
06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
They're both douchenozzle's. But I'll hand it to Cheroney (by a nano-degree) for his respect of the CVH era.

ace diamond
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Fucked up question

exactly, exactly..............:hitch:

lesfunk
06-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't know because I don't listen to either one of the cocksuckers

ELVIS
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Hagar for sure...

There is not a single VHIII song I can stand or remotely remember...

Van Hagar had a few good songs...

Dave's Bitch
06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
sammy, everyone needs to respect his lyrics
"only time will tell if we stand the test of time". cant make that shit up

VanHalenFan5150
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
sammy, everyone needs to respect his lyrics
"only time will tell if we stand the test of time". cant make that shit up

Most of his lyrics are pretty good. But some of the later music, say, anything after OU812, spare for FUCK was intolerable... Just saying.

ELVIS
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I still kinda like OU812...

Jagermeister
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
:umm:

VanHalenFan5150
06-30-2010, 01:12 PM

The guitar work was pretty good. Everything else SUCKED

Nickdfresh
06-30-2010, 08:18 PM

We're also pretty sure you like sucking cock to the sounds of VHIII...

Nickdfresh
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
The guitar work was pretty good. Everything else SUCKED

Not really. It has it moments I suppose, but I think either "Black and Blue" or one of the other "rockers" (as opposed to the pussy bitch ballads Elvis holds his boyfriend too) was rated one of the worst (competent) guitar solos of all time...I think guitar-wise, things are a bit of an unfocused mess...

VanHalenFan5150
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Who are you to judge someone's musical likes? It doesn't matter if someone likes such and such and they suck, let them be them! Who cares if Ou812 sucked, yeah it did, not going to lie, but that doesn't mean "Hey let's pick on Elvis"

Nickdfresh
06-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Who are you to judge someone's musical likes? It doesn't matter if someone likes such and such and they suck, let them be them! Who cares if Ou812 sucked, yeah it did, not going to lie, but that doesn't mean "Hey let's pick on Elvis"

You're 15 years old, aren't you? FUCK OFF!!

ELVIS
07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Not really. It has it moments I suppose, but I think either "Black and Blue" or one of the other "rockers" (as opposed to the pussy bitch ballads Elvis holds his boyfriend too) was rated one of the worst (competent) guitar solos of all time...I think guitar-wise, things are a bit of an unfocused mess...

Illiterate bastard...

ELVIS
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
You're 15 years old, aren't you? FUCK OFF!!

That's real cool, retard...:rolleyes:

VanHalenFan5150
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
But i'm more respected than a lot of people twice my age here, aren't I? Haha... Gar i'm looking at you.

Yeah, it's cool, sorry about that, I have my jackass moments, as i'm sure everyone does.

Jagermeister
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
But i'm more respected than a lot of people twice my age here, aren't I? Haha... Gar i'm looking at you.

Yeah, it's cool, sorry about that, I have my jackass moments, as i'm sure everyone does.

Nick lives in one.

Nickdfresh
07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Nick lives in one.

Why don't you and your boyfriends Elvis and Catfish have a nice Whites Only threeway to the magical sounds of "Feel So Good!"

ELVIS
07-01-2010, 10:48 AM
That's RACIST!!!!!

:mad2:

DavidLeeNatra
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
that thread seems to be fun... :D

Jagermeister
07-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Why don't you and your boyfriends Elvis and Catfish have a nice Whites Only threeway to the magical sounds of "Feel So Good!"

lol!!!

Nickdfresh
07-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Can anyone tell me why this fucking jackass is a mod in the Main?

Jagermeister
07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Can anyone tell me why this fucking jackass is a mod in the Main?

Balance of power?

Nickdfresh
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Against what? People who prefer David Lee Roth to Sammy Hagar?

ELVIS
07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh, I have to totally hate Van Hagar to mod here ??

Nickdfresh
07-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, since you're the only one who shows up more than once in a blue moon, I guess we don't have a choice...

ELVIS
07-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Guess not...

Ruprecht
07-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Hagar always sang about love and food.

and women although i have NEVER seen sammy with any.

VanHalener
07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Hagar can suck a hook and ladder fire truck through the eye of a needle. His suck drew in all the debris that struck our moon and caused all those craters. He just generally sucks and is not Roth. He's out.

Cherone is just a dumbass that got too caught up in Eddie's first call to invite him into the band to realize he should have said no thanks. He sucked with Van Halen and he is not Roth. He's out.

There never was, is not now, nor will there ever be a replacement for the lineup of the real Van Halen. There may be a jackass or two who think they can fill Dave's shoes, but those faggots cry in their soup at night because they know they suck and they are not Dave.

Fuck you Hagar, you fat cheese covered slab of spam.

There can be only one