PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie To Direct Next Week's 'CSI: Miami'

chefcraig
02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Rob Zombie talks about directing 'darker, spookier, scarier' episode of CBS' 'CSI: Miami'

By Cristina Kinon
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, February 22nd 2010

Next Monday's "CSI: Miami," directed by horror auteur Rob Zombie, is "darker, spookier, scarier, and more dangerous with a lot more edge," says co-executive producer Barry O'Brien.

The episode, airing at 10 on CBS, features a murder, of course, but also a trip to Los Angeles where Horatio Caine (David Caruso) and Eric Delko (Adam Rodriguez) try to clear Jesse Cardoza (Eddie Cibrian) of evidence-tampering accusations.

A friend of Zombie's who works on the show had been after the heavy metal rocker and "Devil's Rejects" director for years to direct an episode, but Zombie's schedule never allowed for it. When he finally had the time, he was looking forward to the challenge.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4936/algcarusozombie.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/algcarusozombie.jpg/)

David Caruso and Rob Zombie on the set of CBS' 'CSI: Miami.'

"I wanted to see what it was like," Zombie told The News. "Other TV offers have come up in the past, but I never really went after them because I wasn't sure I really wanted to do TV. It's so different from making a movie, because you go into this established situation that sometimes has been going on for years and years."

He's also glad he's finally doing something that his mom can watch and enjoy. She's a fan.

Though the script, written by O'Brien, was crafted specifically for Zombie to helm, the episode isn't a complete departure from the traditional "Miami" look and feel.

Zombie says longtime fans won't feel like they're watching a new show, but Zombie fans will recognize his stamp.

"In the opening scene, it'll seem obvious [that I was the director]," said Zombie. "But I wasn't trying to disrespect the show by disregarding anything they've done. I wasn't trying to turn it into something different."

Another indicator of Zombie's presence? The guest-star roster, which includes Michael Madsen, Malcolm McDowell, William Forsythe, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons and even Zombie's wife, Sheri Zombie.

"Along with bringing his vision," said O'Brien, "Rob brought his friends."

With all elements put together, O'Brien said, the set had a "total party atmosphere. ... I didn't want the shoot to end."

Zombie, known for his violent and profanity-laden work, ran into only one slight snag: figuring out what the FCC does and doesn't allow.

"We live in a post-Janet Jackson Super Bowl wardrobe-malfunction world, but Rob got that," said O'Brien. "He successfully found a way to convey his signature edge and push the envelope while staying inside the boundaries."

Zombie is interested to see the audience's reaction to his television debut, and doesn't rule out a future in the TV biz.

"I think I'm better suited to do something on HBO or Showtime, but I'm not even sure I could get into the TV groove," said Zombie. "I like creating things, then moving on to other things."

Rob Zombie talks about directing 'darker, spookier, scarier' episode of CBS' 'CSI: Miami' (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/02/22/2010-02-22_rob_zombie_talks_about_directing_darker_spookie r_scarier_episode_of_cbs_csi_miam.html)

Kristy
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Another indicator of Zombie's presence? The guest-star roster, which includes Michael Madsen, Malcolm McDowell, William Forsythe, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons and even Zombie's wife, Sheri Zombie.

Whatever it takes to revitalize the same tired plot line episode after episode, year after year.