PDA

View Full Version : GOP's Brown branded turncoat for jobs bill vote

kwame k
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
BOSTON – A month after being crowned the darling of national conservatives, Republican Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts is being branded "Benedict Brown" for siding with Democrats in favor of a jobs bill endorsed by the Obama administration.

Like the four other GOP senators who joined him, the man who won the late Democrat Edward Kennedy's seat says it's about jobs, not party politics. And that may be good politics, too.

The four other GOP senators who broke ranks — Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine, George Voinovich of Ohio and Christopher "Kit" Bond of Missouri — also were criticized on Tuesday. But Brown was the big target on conservative Web sites, talk shows and even the Facebook page his campaign has promoted as an example of his new-media savvy.

"We campaigned for you. We donated to your campaign. And you turned on us like every other RINO," said one writer, using the initials for "Republican-In-Name-Only."

The conservative-tilting Drudge Report colored a photo of Brown on its home page in scarlet.
The new senator responded by calling into a Boston radio station.

"I've taken three votes," Brown said with exasperation. "And to say I've sold out any particular party or interest group, I think, is certainly unfair."

The senator said that by the time he seeks re-election in two years, he will have taken thousands of votes.

"So, I think it's a little premature to say that," he said.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky wasn't particularly perturbed about Brown's vote, saying his election last month has "made a huge, positive difference for us and for the whole legislative agenda."

"We don't expect our members to be in lockstep on every single issue," McConnell added.

Political observers said each of the five Republican senators had solid reasons locally for voting as they did, to cut off a potential Republican filibuster on the bill.

The measure featured four provisions that enjoyed sweeping bipartisan support, including a measure exempting businesses hiring the unemployed from Social Security payroll taxes through December, and giving them a $1,000 credit if new workers stay on the job a full year. It would also renew highway programs through December and deposit $20 billion in the highway trust fund.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_jobs_gop_turncoats;_ylt=AvpKA8DvcB7xmO 3Lup0hDS2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQyYmo1aHFhBGFzc2V0A2FwLz IwMTAwMjIzL3VzX2NvbmdyZXNzX2pvYnNfZ29wX3R1cm5jb2F0 cwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzUEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG 9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNnb3Bz YnJvd25icmE-)

kwame k
02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Apparently, there's only 5 Repukes who care about Americans getting jobs.........

Why does the Party of No hate America so much?

bueno bob
02-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks like Savior Scott must be a turncoat...

kwame k
02-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Looks like Savior Scott must be a turncoat...

How dare he vote for something that might actually create jobs for the millions of unemployed Americans........it's all No, no matter who it hurts.....that's taught day one in Repukes 101.

jhale667
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
How dare he vote for something that might actually create jobs for the millions of unemployed Americans........it's all No, no matter who it hurts.....that's taught day one in Repukes 101.

No kidding - how's Obama going to fail like they want if all Repukes don't lock-step to the "No" thing?? I mean, what was he THINKING???

Next thing you know, Palin will tell the Teabaggers they need to "pick a party" or something....oh, wait.... :biggrin:

kwame k
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
No kidding - how's Obama going to fail like they want if all Repukes don't lock-step to the "No" thing?? I mean, what was he THINKING???

Next thing you know, Palin will tell the Teabaggers they need to "pick a party" or something....oh, wait.... :biggrin:

That's the thing that the right is missing......they offer no ideas, no bills of their own and everything that the Democrats come up with the say No. I just hope this tactic comes back and bites them in the ass come mid-terms.

Stop all the Obama is an "'ist" and come up with a plan to save this country from ruin. I'm willing to vote for anyone who has a better idea and I think most SANE Americans feel the same way. Fuck partisan politics....fix our fucking country :pullinghair:

jhale667
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Fuck partisan politics....fix our fucking country :pullinghair:

Exactly, exactly...but the Repukes need to realize saying "No" to everything does not equal "leadership". There's something like 200+ bills that HAVE bipartisan support that still aren't getting passed because of the Filibuster B.S.; it's sickening.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Exactly, exactly...but the Repukes need to realize saying "No" to everything does not equal "leadership". There's something like 200+ bills that HAVE bipartisan support that still aren't getting passed because of the Filibuster B.S.; it's sickening.

Yet their supporters think they are doing a service for the American people, bullshit!

You mentioned eating their own......

-Conservatives vs. Scott Brown: You'd be hard-pressed to find a single instance in U.S. political history when a single vote by a politician has affected his or her popularity more dramatically than Brown's vote in favor of the Democrats' jobs bill. Explaining his actions in a Facebook wall post, Brown wrote:

“I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside, and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families, this Senate jobs bill is not perfect. I wish the tax cuts were deeper and broader, but I am voting for it because it contains measures that will help put people back t...o work. ... I hope for improvements in that process going forward."

The post generated thousands of comments and photoshopped images in response. Branded "Benedict Brown" by some in an ode to the famous turncoat of the Revolutionary War, the outpouring of anti-Scott Brown sentiment on the Internet was so far and wide, even spilling over to his daughter Ayla's Facebook page, that Gawker.com held a tongue-in-cheek contest encouraging readers to vote for their favorite "enraged Scott Brown Facebook fan comment." Many of the aforementioned comments and photos posted to Brown's Facebook page, as well as his daughter's, have since been removed, presumably by a Brown aide or Facebook administrators.

-Glenn Beck vs. Republicans/conservative commentators vs. Glenn Beck: On Saturday night, widely popular and always controversial Fox News host Glenn Beck delivered the keynote address at the annual gathering of conservatives known as CPAC. In his speech, Beck took some shots at the Republican party, comparing its inability to control its spending impulses to Tiger Woods' inability to control his sexual urges, and hinted that the creation of a third party might be in order since he thinks there are few differences between Republicans and Democrats in Washington.

Beck's words to the 2010 CPAC attendees, who supported Ron Paul overwhelmingly in a straw poll, didn't sit well with many of his cohorts in the conservative punditry. On his radio show, Rush Limbaugh warned that such talk threatened to divide the movement at a particularly crucial time.

"The best way to insure that Obama succeeds is to think that we need a third party," he said. "All the momentum that we've got going right now is just going to hit a brick wall if a third party starts, particularly on the basis that there's 'no difference between the two parties.'"
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl1179)

The best way to ensure Obama succeeds!!!!!!

It ain't about Obama jackass, it's about the American people. These guys are so blinded by hate they're willing to sacrifice anything getting done and thwart anything for the betterment of US, just to win a race :pullinghair:

None of us here have given the Democrats a free pass and all of us Libs here pretty much hate Reid and Pelosi but at some point, whether it's Democrats or Repukes, something needs to get done in Washington.