PDA

View Full Version : I've heard some bad ideas before, but...

Mr Walker
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
The new Meat Loaf studio album due out in April is a concept album (bad idea) and it's entitled 'Hang Cool Teddy Bear IV' (even worse idea). I love 'Bat Out Of Hell' as much as the next person, but has Meat done anything good since then except for his role in 'Fight Club'?
The first single is entitled "Los Angeloser" and from what I gather... it's not so good.

All of that being said, Justin Hawkins is to appear on the album, so I trust it will be awesome.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I wonder if Steinman wrote the thing.......Bat II sucked and I love the original Bat but after his comeback he should just let it go and retire. He's singing like a freaking opera singer nowadays and not the bad mofo of his younger days.

ppg960
02-24-2010, 11:50 PM
IMHO, his first album was really something special. It's neat how it was all strung together. It's just so different from anything thing else ever done. To bad I can only stand it for 10 minutes.:biggrin:

binnie
02-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Meat Loaf. File under, 'who gives a fuck, fatty?'

Mr Badguy
02-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Now, that ain`t fair.

I can`t imagine a world without songs like "Modern girl", "Rock n Roll mercenaries" or "Blind before I stop".

:D

ThrillsNSpills
02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Meat Loaf. File under, 'who gives a fuck, fatty?'

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Mr Walker
02-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Meat Loaf has tapped an array of special guests for his new album, Hang Cool Teddy Bear – and Classic Rock has heard it.

Brian May, Steve Vai, Justin Hawkins and Jack Black are among those set to appear on the unusually titled disc, based on a short story of the same name by Killian Kerwin, a long-time friend of the singer.

Meat held a listening party in London yesterday (February 26), at which he spilled the beans on the album, which is due to be released in April through Mercury Records.

“I found the title in a Russ Meyer movie called Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls,” he explained. “It’s something you’ll love or hate but you walk past a poster saying Hang Cool Teddy Bear and I can guarantee you’ll stop for three or four seconds. I have your attention.”

Though retaining all of Meat Loaf’s traditional excesses, the album adds a modern-sounding twist. Overall, it’s a really strong rock record with lots of hummable hooks, though quality-wise it’s guilty of tailing off a little towards the end. Meat believes that working with Green Day/Goo Goo Dolls/Fleetwood Mac/Paramore producer Rob Cavallo was pivotal to its quality.

“I’ve been doing this for 43 years, and Rob Cavallo is the best producer in the world,” states Meat. “If you disagree, I’ll take you outside. I knew I was making the most important record of my life and Rob gave me my voice. It’s a Meat Loaf record, but it sounds different and new. It’s fresh.”

Despite the above statement, Hang Cool Teddy Bear was not created easily. “Rob told me: ‘You’ve got 23 songs – three are great, the rest of them suck’. I had a panic attack.”

The album’s opening track, Peace On Earth, sets up its central theme. “It’s the story of a soldier. He’s been in an unspecified battle, and he’s lying face down on the ground,” reveals Meat. “They talk of seeing your life flash backwards when you’re about to die, but this guy’s life flashes forwards instead. He can’t get up. He tries to crawl and he’s unable to do that, too. The songs are about the different scenarios he finds himself in as his life goes by. At the conclusion… well, let’s just say it’s not a Hollywood ending.”

Brian May and Steve Vai can be heard on Love Is Not Real and Song Of Madness, while Jack Black duets with Meat Loaf on Like A Rose. Justin Hawkins wrote two of the album’s songs, the aforementioned Love Is Not Real, plus California Isn’t Big Enough, also adding background vocals and guitar to former. But the most unusual cameo is from former Blackadder/Jeeves And Wooster comedian Hugh Laurie, now a star of the US TV series House, who contributes a piano solo to the song ‘f I Can’t Have You. Meat encountered Laurie, a classically trained musician, whilst making an appearance in House.

“He was really nervous at first,” says the singer. “It was strange seeing someone so confident on TV walk into the studio like he’s a quivering mess. But he nailed it.”

The album’s final song, Elvis In Vegas was written by Jon Bon Jovi, Desmond Child and Billy Falcon. “Jon doesn’t know this yet, but I changed his lyrics to make them fit the concept,” Loaf told the gathering. “I don’t know what Jon’ll say about that but I’ve known him since 1980, so he’ll probably be okay with it.”

The album’s full listing is as follows:

Peace On Earth (with strings arranged and conducted by Dave Campbell)

Living On The Outside

Los Angeloser

If I Can’t Have You (duet with American Idol presenter Kara Dioguardi, Hugh Laurie on piano)

Love Is Not Real (featuring Brian May and Steve Vai, Justin Hawkins on backing vocals and guitar)

Like A Rose’(duet with Jack Black)

Song Of Madness (featuring Brian May and Steve Vai)

Did You Ever Love Somebody

California Isn’t Big Enough

Running Away From Me

Let’s Be In Love (duet with Patti Russo)

If It Rains

Elvis In Vegas

Mr Walker
02-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I just watched 'Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls' two weeks ago.

twonabomber
02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Classic Rock is kind of like Melodicrock...they love everything they hear.

chefcraig
02-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I just watched 'Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls' two weeks ago.

Believe it or not, Roger Ebert (of Siskel and Ebert at the Movies) wrote the screen play for this film.

Anonymous
02-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Meat Loaf RAWKS!

That is all.

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Exactly exactly.

There's never going to be any topping the first Bat Out of Hell album, but as a proud owner of his complete discography, there are some definite gems on ALL of his albums, even if the entire album isn't always great.

Steve Vai, Brian May, and Hugh Laurie would be reason enough for me to pick it up, definitely...

Seshmeister
02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Hugh Laurie Secretly Working on Meat Loaf's Album

25 February 2010 11:07 PM, PST | Aceshowbiz | See recent Aceshowbiz news »

Actor Hugh Laurie is continuing his foray into the music world - he appears on Meat Loaf's forthcoming album. The "House M.D." actor became friends with the singer after Meat Loaf played a patient on the hit medical drama last year.

The 62-year-old musician was keen to work with Laurie again - and asked him to play piano on his upcoming album, "Hang Cool Teddy Bear", which is due for release in April. Laurie is a keen music man - also plays guitar, drums, harmonica and saxophone and fronts all-star group Band From TV.

As proof that Laurie was working on his album, Meat Loaf posted a link to a video that sees the actor on his piano working on the album. "Hang Cool Teddy Bear" is produced by Rob Cavallo and features Brian May and Justin Hawkins among others. .....

binnie
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I guarentee this will be crap..........