PDA

View Full Version : Leggo my Eggo, no really!

Candy Girl
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Plant Upgrade Keeps Eggo Waffles in Short Supply

Broderick Perkins Contributor
(Feb. 25) -- Kellogg's frozen waffle fans are going to have to "Leggo those Eggos" a little while longer than expected.

The nation's No. 1 brand of frozen waffles, Kellogg Co.'s Eggos, is going to remain in short supply because of delays in upgrading the largest of the company's Eggo-making facilities. Problems at the plant in Rossville, Tenn., are forcing the leading frozen waffle maker to put off full production until late this year.

Meanwhile, the breakfast staple is being rationed out to retailers based on past sales.

Half of all Eggo waffles are made at a plant in Rossville, Tenn., that is being upgraded.
Eggomaniacs who can't get their fill will have to try other brands, consider frozen pancakes or French toast, buy a waffle iron or just change their breakfast menu altogether until Eggos are back in full supply.

Nearly three out of four frozen waffles consumed, 73 percent, are Eggo waffles -- at least until last fall.

Battle Creek, Mich.-based Kellogg had originally planned to resume full production of frozen waffles early this year, but at Rossville, where half of all Eggos are produced, production has been curtailed due to "extensive equipment enhancements and repairs" that have dragged on longer than expected, according to Kris Charles, a Kellogg spokeswoman.

Production also slowed last September, after the Georgia Department of Agriculture found listeria monocytogenes in samples of the Eggo Buttermilk variety and stopped production at Kellogg Co.'s Atlanta plant.

Listeria monocytogenes are infectious bacteria that can cause mild gastrointestinal problems, but are rarely life threatening.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration follow-up inspections also found the bacteria and other unsafe food handling practices.

Just as the disinfected plant was due to fire back up, heavy rains caused flooding, forcing the facility to remain shut.

In a Jan. 27 letter not posted publicly until Feb. 16, the FDA said Kellogg's Nov. 18, 2009, response to inspectors' findings indicated the company had not fully addressed federal food safety compliance requirements.

But on Feb. 16, Charles told BakingBusiness.com that the FDA's letter was posted publicly long after Kellogg had corrected problems in the Atlanta plant, which reopened Oct. 21, 2009.

"While the FDA letter was filed publicly today [Feb. 16, 2010], the situation described in the letter relates to inspections conducted in October after the plant was closed for enhanced cleaning and the flood in Atlanta that affected our facility. We have made a variety of enhancements in our facility, and have fully addressed all of the observations in the letter. We will be filing our response with the FDA to this effect shortly," Charles stated.

Last week, Kellogg President and Chief Executive Officer David Mackay reiterated Charles' comments when he told analysts at the 2010 Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference that contamination at the Atlanta plant has been resolved.

"All Eggo bakeries are now operational. We anticipate that inventories will be restored toward the end of the year," said Charles in an e-mail to AOL News.

"Rossville is fully operational. It's simply not producing at the same capacity as before. I'm sorry, but we don't disclose specific capacity figures for competitive reasons," Charles added.

Call it Eggonomics.

In addition to Atlanta and Rossville, Eggos are also manufactured at plants in Blue Anchor, N.J., and San Jose, Calif., in the heart of Silicon Valley, where Eggo made its debut more than half a century ago.

In 1953, brothers Tony, Sam and Frank Dorsa introduced to supermarkets frozen waffles, then called "Froffles."

An otherwise time-consuming breakfast staple turned toaster-quick was a big hit in a new world of vending machines, short-order restaurants and stay-at-home moms.

By 1955, the name changed to "Eggo" because of the waffle's "eggy" taste and recipe influenced by Cantonese "eggettes" or "egg puffs".

Kellogg's purchased the rights to the brand in the 1970s and fostered generations of Eggo addicts and "Leggo my Eggo" commercials.
Filed under: Nation, Money

Candy Girl
02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I've never understood the appeal of eggos. I always thought they were a little too yellow and tasted what I would imagine cardboard would taste like.

Dan
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Can Someone Send Me A Sample?:D

hambon4lif
02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I've never understood the appeal of eggos. I always thought they were a little too yellow and tasted what I would imagine cardboard would taste like.As a bachelor who is constantly running late for work in the morning, Eggo's are an absolutely essential start to my day. They pop out of the toaster, I grab 'em and bolt out the door. It's safe to say that without Eggo's or Pop Tarts, I'd never have breakfast.

And as someone who's eaten more than his fair share of boxes, I gotta tell ya'......they taste nothing like Eggo's!

VanHalener
02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I've never understood the appeal of eggos. I always thought they were a little too yellow and tasted what I would imagine cardboard would taste like.

It's all in the marketing, baby!:hitch: For the most part people are lazy sheep, unwilling to take the time to make a healthy meal, always willing to buy a pass on the ship 'Easy Way Out'.
"Now, now ,now...Come onnnnnnnnn..I want it now"

Eggo...Hah! Those puppies will kill your ass till it's dead.
Eggos kill millions and millions of people every day around the globe yet we turn a blind eye and a deaf ear because we are hungry and in a hurry.
We need to convince others that the only way to stop the madness is to teach people what a real waffle is and just how great they can be.

As I describe in my upcoming book, "Touch My Waffle Again and I Swear To God I Will Kill You Motherphucker", the waffle design is flawless: holds butter, syrup, fruit, etc...Truly the waffle is the greatest of all breakfast foods in design and functionality and should always be shown the proper respect at the dining table.
What you decide to make that waffle out of is the most important consideration. Eggos give you cancer because of all the horse shit in their recipe. (I believe it's a half a teaspoon of fresh horse shit per Eggo) A real waffle tastes good, is good for you, and leaves you wanting more. All of my recipes leave you with a warm satisfied feeling after a meal because they are made of the finest ingredients and cooked with love on the griddle, not warmed in a toaster. Want an adventure at breakfast? Then see 'Blackened Hash Brownie Waffles' in my book's 'Special Blends' section and have yourself a good time for me.

I am going to make waffles right now.

Cheers!:hitch: