PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake hits Chile; Tsunami to hit Hawaii

Ally_Kat
02-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Hawaii blasts sirens, warning of possible tsunami

By JAYMES SONG, Associated Press Writer – 14 mins ago

EWA BEACH, Hawaii – A tsunami threatened the Pacific Rim on Saturday, with an 8.8-magnitude earthquake off Chile sending potentially deadly waves across the ocean at the speed of a jetliner.

Hawaii woke residents with sirens, alerting them to the waves. A tsunami warning — the highest alert level — was issued earlier for the island chain. Boats and people near the coast were being evacuated. Hilo International Airport, located along the coast, was closed.

Residents lined up at supermarkets to stock up on water, canned food and batteries. Cars lined up 15 long at several gas stations.

The first waves were expected at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST; 2119 GMT). Most Pacific Rim nations, awaiting further data, did not order evacuations but advised people in low-lying areas to be on the lookout.

In Tonga, however, police and defense forces have begun a mass evacuation from low-lying coastal areas as they warned residents that tsunami waves about three feet (one meter) high could wash ashore within three hours.

"I can hear the church bells ringing to alert the people," National Disaster Office deputy director Mali'u Takai told The Associated Press. "We will move up to 50,000 people to the interior and away from the coasts."

Waves 6 feet (1.8 meter) above normal hit near Concepcion, Chile shortly after the quake.

Unlike other tsunamis in recent years, emergency officials along the Pacific have hours to prepare and possibly evacuate residents.

"We've got a lot of things going for us," said Charles McCreery, the director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, which issues warnings to almost every country around the Pacific Rim and to most of the Pacific island states. "We have a reasonable lead time.

"We should be able to alert everyone in harm's way to move out of the evacuation zones," he said.

A warning was also in effect for Guam, American Samoa, Samoa and dozens of other Pacific islands.

American Samoa Lt. Gov. Aitofele Sunia activated emergency services and called on residents of shoreline villages to move to higher ground. Police in Samoa issued a nationwide alert to begin coastal evacuations. The tsunami is expected to reach the islands Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, disaster management officials in Fiji said they have been warned to expect waves of as high as 7.5 feet (2.3 meters) to hit the northern and eastern islands of the archipelago and the nearby Tonga islands.

A lower-grade tsunami advisory was in effect for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal area from Kodiak to Attu islands. Tsunami Center officials said they did not expect the advisory would be upgraded to a warning.

Waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of Saturday's quake. A tsunami wave can travel at up to 600 mph, said Jenifer Rhoades, tsunami program manager at the National Weather Service in Washington, DC.

After the sirens are sounded in Hawaii, people in coastal areas, such as tourist-filled Waikiki, would then be instructed on a possible evacuation. The sirens will also be sounded again three hours prior to the estimated arrival time.

McCreery said he didn't know how big the waves will be, but expected them to be the largest to hit Hawaii since 1964.

"If you're in an evacuation zone, police or civil defense volunteers would instruct you to evacuate, or instructions will come out over the radio and TV," said Shelly Ichishita, spokeswoman for the state's civil defense.

If coastal areas are evacuated, visitors in Waikiki would be moved to higher floors in their hotels, rather than moved out of the tourist district, which could cause gridlock.

Some Pacific nations in the warning area were heavily damaged by a tsunami last year.

On Sept. 29, a tsunami spawned by a magnitude-8.3 earthquake killed 34 people in American Samoa, 183 in Samoa and nine in Tonga. Scientists later said that wave was 46 feet (14 meters) high.

Past South American earthquakes have had deadly effects across the Pacific.
A tsunami after a magnitude-9.5 quake that struck Chile in 1960, the largest earthquake ever recorded, killed about 140 people in Japan, 61 in Hawaii and 32 in the Philippines.

That tsunami was about 3.3 to 13 feet (one to four meters) in height, Japan's Meteorological Agency said.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK quoted earthquake experts as saying the tsunami would likely be tens of centimeters (inches) high and reach Japan in about 22 hours.

A tsunami of 28 centimeters (11 inches) was recorded after a magnitude-8.4 earthquake near Chile in 2001.

The Meteorological Agency said it was still investigating the likelihood of a tsunami in Japan and did not issue a formal coastal warning.

Australia, meanwhile, was put on a tsunami watch.

The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning Saturday night for a "potential tsunami threat" to New South Wales state, Queensland state, Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island.

Any potential wave would not hit Australia until Sunday morning local time, it said.

The Philippine Institute of Vulcanology and Seismology issued a low-level alert saying people should await further notice of a possible tsunami. It did not recommend evacuations.

Seismologist Fumihiko Imamura, of Japan's Tohoku University, told NHK that residents near ocean shores should not underestimate the power of a tsunami even though they may be generated by quakes on the other side of the ocean.

"There is the possibility that it could reach Japan without losing its strength," he said.
___
Associated Press writers Mark Niesse in Honolulu, Kristen Gelineau in Sydney, Chris Havlik in Phoenix, Ray Lilley in Auckland, New Zealand, and Eric Talmadge in Tokyo contributed to this report.

Dr. Love
02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
My company took us to Costa Rica for 5 days last week and in the run up, we were watching earthquakes all around the carribean, central and south america.

Seems like a lot of activity going on. Makes you wonder.

Blackflag
02-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm going to go outside and see if the tsunami comes. TSUNAMI!! Ha ha.

LoungeMachine
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure Yakima is safe from tidal waves......

:gulp:

Blackflag
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I actually live in Yakima Hills, a little known part of Yakima that's on the ocean.

Nothing unusual yet, but they say we're supposed to see something at 1:20. Unlikely, given how far we are.

chefcraig
02-27-2010, 04:38 PM
CNN is covering things with the usual aplomb...roughly 20 minutes ago, the announcer hysterically warned viewers that water was leaving the shore of Hawaii, obviously a precursor to an approaching tsunami. Then about 5 minutes ago, he was forced to admit that low tide had begun...yep, 20 minutes ago. :notme:

Dan
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
First Wave To Hit The North Shore Where I Live In about 10 Mins.

chefcraig
02-27-2010, 04:45 PM
First Wave To Hit The North Shore Where I Live In about 10 Mins.

Keep us posted, Dan. And hang in there.

Dan
02-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks,Will Do.

Ally_Kat
02-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Apparently you can watch it online: hitsunami on USTREAM: A Live stream of Local news of the Hawaii Tsunami of February 27, 2010. Breaking News (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hitsunami)

Hope everyone high-tailed it out of there

Little Texan
02-27-2010, 05:09 PM
CNN is covering things with the usual aplomb...roughly 20 minutes ago, the announcer hysterically warned viewers that water was leaving the shore of Hawaii, obviously a precursor to an approaching tsunami. Then about 5 minutes ago, he was forced to admit that low tide had begun...yep, 20 minutes ago. :notme:

Was it Rick "Drama Queen" Sanchez? He tends to overdramatize everything.

chefcraig
02-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Was it Rick "Drama Queen" Sanchez? He tends to overdramatize everything.

It's funny you would say that, as Sanchez really hit his stride here in South Florida with the local "If it bleeds, it leads" FOX affiliate, and is no slouch at hysterical announcing along with mind-numbingly poor choices in covering a story. This is a guy that once went on the air during the coverage of the devastation caused by hurricane Andrew in 1992, and told the world that the National Guard were using blanks, thus helping their cause of restoring order (amongst the rampant looting taking place) to no end. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-ashamed-smileys-705.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Flag-Smileys/)

Alas, it wasn't slick Rick, just some knob stuck working on the weekend trying to make a name for himself. Then again, it might have been Wolf Blitzer, who pretty much has been reduced to mopping the floors for the past 6 years or so.

Dan
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Watch And Wait,Down Here.:(

chefcraig
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Watch And Wait,Down Here.:(

Welcome to Florida during hurricane season. Be thankful you don't have every local tv affiliate telling you the sky is falling, and people fighting over the last of the gasoline, bottled water or batteries, which they will promptly return (except the gas) to the store the minute the storm has left the area.

sadaist
02-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm really disappointed in Tsunamis. I don't want people to die or get hurt, but when there is a ton of hype and all these warnings & evacuations...I want to see some huge ass wave come in and whomp all over the place. Not some ankle wetting higher than normal tide. I want the wave so big you can see whales swimming inside of it. I want to see the one stoned crazy surfer out there who thinks he can catch it and the last thing we hear is him screaming duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! (may he rest in peace).

Probably seen too many movies.

Blackflag
02-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm really disappointed in Tsunamis. I don't want people to die or get hurt, but when there is a ton of hype and all these warnings & evacuations...I want to see some huge ass wave come in and whomp all over the place. Not some ankle wetting higher than normal tide. I want the wave so big you can see whales swimming inside of it. I want to see the one stoned crazy surfer out there who thinks he can catch it and the last thing we hear is him screaming duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! (may he rest in peace).

Word.

Didn't you see the videos of the ones that hit India a few years ago?

TSUNAMI!!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Come on bro. I'm sure the 300,000 that were killed in Indonesia just had a ducky time....

sadaist
02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
The one in Indonesia was more like after a wave crashes and you get that rush of whitewash that surges up.

Remember the movie Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman as the President? Came out about same time Armageddon did.

http://www.jimusnr.com/di7.jpg

chefcraig
02-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Remember the movie Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman as the President? Came out about same time Armageddon did.

Did you ever see the tsunami in James Cameron's The Abyss? It's only available on the longer, director's cut version of the film, and is simply awesome. Admittedly, the images are not that impressive here, but are pretty spectacular in the film.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9571/goldengate.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/goldengate.jpg/)

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3298/tidalwave.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/tidalwave.jpg/)

sadaist
02-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Wasn't there an earthquake in or near Japan the day before the one in Chile? I though I remember Shepard Smith coming on saying something like that.

thome
02-28-2010, 02:06 AM
I was on a boat once and a tsunami went under the boat .

We could see it coming all the waves were going one direction in a very calm sea, and there was this little two inch tall ripple coming towards us at a 50 degree angle to all the other waves.

The boat did a, like a we are in "the ditch" type roll.

The captain and I figured that these waves happen on occasion and can progress all the way across the ocean . From what else could it be..?

All the little ripples of water are going one direction and then you can see a line as long as the horizon 2 inches tall coming across the other waves at a completly different angle and it rocked the boat completly.. the other way.

I mean granted it was only a little movement, but these are how I have heard these waves start out.

They either dissapate or build energy and cause damage or run out of energy right..?

No big deal unless they maintain that two inch tall energy and make it to a reef or island and build up like waves do on the shelf.

I cannot explain this "rogue wave" in any other way yet it was only a couple inches tall.

I mean we came to this conclusion I don't know if we are right or wrong..?

Water is so solid people really don't see it as it is and dude we all know water can move mountains.

Hope no one gets "all tsunamied" that would sukk..

Seshmeister
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
It's about the depth of the water.

The same wave which was only a few inches when it went under your boat could become many feet high when it got to shallow water.

Panamark
03-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Hey even we were on alert !!
I think I saw a strong ripple in the water, but it was
most likely a surfer farting......

Seriously I worry about my folks, with a good throw from
their backyard you can hit the ocean....
(They are on the east coast)

Nitro Express
03-03-2010, 03:46 AM

I want to see one of those 2012 sunamis.

Nitro Express
03-03-2010, 03:49 AM
The weirdest thing is being in a submarine in bad weather. They pitch and roll like crazy and when they dive it all stops and it's solid as being in a building on a foundation.