PDA

View Full Version : I'd like a hockey team to follow

Unchainme
02-27-2010, 02:45 PM
need a bit of help here, I'm a fan of Cleveland sports team fan, but have always had a bit of an interest in hockey and it's sort of grown during the olympics. I'd really like to have a team to adopt and to follow. And before eveyone says "Adopt the Blue Jackets", something just doesn't feel right, I don't feel in anyway connected to them as I would say, TOSU. Pretty much, I'd like a team to follow just until C-town finally gets it's first hockey franchise since the 1970's (perhaps if the Cavs get good enough, they'll get a new arena or something in a few years and maybe this new team would play there?)

So, out of them all, I've figured out a few teams I'd probably rule out:

The Pens

No offense to VA., In fact if this team was like..in say..Erie or some place NOT Pittsburgh, I'd be a fan in heartbeat, the jersey's are awesome, they have some decent history, and Sid the kid seems pretty awesome, but something in my blood tells me I can't root for a Pittsburgh sports team.

Any team from NYC

Don't generally really like cheering on big market team.

Any team from Florida or Arizona

How the hell do they even have a hockey franchise?

Teams I'm considering

Boston Bruins

love the "B" and the colors, even though I hate the cities other teams

Buffalo Sabres

Hey if the locals there get to pull for the Tribe, I think I should have the right to pull for their NHL team, plus, I'm sort of naturally attracted to disapointment and failure.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Fairly close to me, and always liked their look overall.

Philadelphia Flyers

The broadstreet bullies just seem so bad ass, plus the jersey seem cool as well.

kwame k
02-27-2010, 02:54 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/DetroitRedWingsCelebrateLordStanley.jpg

High Life Man
02-27-2010, 03:18 PM
College hockey is where it is at!

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/9NCAA/2006/images/badgerpile.jpg

LoungeMachine
02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Hockey.

Curling for people with anger management issues.....

:gulp:

Unchainme
02-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Hockey.

Must be why it's Nate's favorite sport. :biggrin:

ODShowtime
02-27-2010, 04:20 PM

The Pens

Why not the Pens? Crosby, Malkin, Flower Power?!?! And you could go to their games sometimes too. They'll be a powerhouse for years with that young talent.

While you're at it you can lose that crappy brown jersey and get up on the Black and Gold. The only fans that get amnesty are browns fans and that's because we take pity on them.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2010, 04:20 PM
I can do that too, ya know....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/SID-CUP.jpg

Unchainme
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Why not the Pens? Crosby, Malkin, Flower Power?!?! And you could go to their games sometimes too. They'll be a powerhouse for years with that young talent.

While you're at it you can lose that crappy brown jersey and get up on the Black and Gold. The only fans that get amnesty are browns fans and that's because we take pity on them.

Eh, just feel guilty about doing it. I don't hate certain parts of Pittsburgh, I love primanti's in fact. Just comes from how I was raised as a Cleveland Browns fan. I have no beefs with the Pens. again Crosby IS A BEAST, just don't know if I can stomach rooting for a rival city ;).

YouTube - Cleveland Shuts Down The Steelers & Big Ben Dec 09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLbB4lJonU)

Also, soon, hopefully the pity will be gone and be replaced by hatred of the orange and brown. :). Can't wait for that day when the rivalry is resurected! HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! WOOF! WOOF!

LoungeMachine
02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
HOYNES
I heard you had Caps tickets.

SAM
Yes, sir.

HOYNES
How was the game?

SAM
Not very good.

HOYNES
Have you ever seen a good hockey game?

SAM
No.

HOYNES
Me neither. I love sports, I just can't get next to hockey. See, I think Americans like
to savour situations. One down, bottom of the ninth, one run game, first and third, left
handed batter, right hand reliever, infield at double play depth, here's the pitch. But
scoring in hockey seems to come out of nowhere. The play-by-play guy is always shocked.
LePeiter passes to Huckenchuck who skates past the blue line. Huckenchuck, of course,
was traded from Winnipeg for a case of Labatts after sitting out last season with...
"Oh my God, he scores!"

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
You bastard, I knew you'd throw that episode in here... ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Sam: Who's your boyfriend?
Mallory: I don't think...
Sam: What's his name?
Mallory: His name is Richard Andreychuk.
Sam: There's a hockey player named Richard Andreychuk.
Mallory: Well, unless there are two of them.
Sam: You're dating Richard Andreychuk?
Mallory: Yes, and we're having quite a lot of sex.
Sam: I think you'd almost have to.
Mallory: What does that mean?
Sam: What the hell do you and Richard Andreychuk talk about?
Mallory: He happens to be a terribly bright guy.
Sam: Well, good, because he's a *really* bad hockey player.
Mallory: He's had injury problems this season.
Sam: From falling down.

LoungeMachine
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
How he never closed that deal is beyong me......

But he bangs the ugly hooker.

Nickdfresh
02-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Hockey.

...from being SeaGULLs fans...

Romeo Delight
02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
ChickenHawks...

They were robbed out of a SuperBowl though...

LoungeMachine
02-28-2010, 11:54 PM
SeaHags is what we natives prefer....

And yes, we WERE robbed....

Romeo Delight
03-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Absolutely. Perhaps the worst officiated game in any professional sports playoffs that I have ever seen

Va Beach VH Fan
03-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Christ, ENOUGH ALREADY.....

Romeo Delight
03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
i'm trying to bait Pojo, but he isn't around here anymore it seems. Still...:biggrin:

NATEDOG001976
03-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Rabid Badgers...lol.

NATEDOG001976
03-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Must be why it's Nate's favorite sport. :biggrin:

Curler? No, Hockey player yes.

NATEDOG001976
03-02-2010, 01:49 AM

Gotta agree with this one. As much as I love the NHL, College hockey is some of the most awesome hockey out there.

But no Badgers. Gophers did back to back titles, and more NHL'ers to boot!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5494/amqeccalwynznpl20070129.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/amqeccalwynznpl20070129.jpg/)

BITEYOASS
03-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Well if we're talking about college hockey--the best team would be Michigan State!

http://info.detnews.com/pix/sports/2007/msu/0407_MSUwinsNCAAtitle/019.jpg

damngoodtimes
03-02-2010, 06:40 PM
unchainme, as a transplanted Clevelander, I can tell you that you should definitely adopt my Atlanta Thrashers.

just like our beloved Tribe, the Thrashers skirt along with a bottom-barrel payroll and trade our stars away for spare parts annually around the trading deadline (CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee? Meet Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk!!)

Unchainme
03-02-2010, 06:45 PM
unchainme, as a transplanted Clevelander, I can tell you that you should definitely adopt my Atlanta Thrashers.

just like our beloved Tribe, the Thrashers skirt along with a bottom-barrel payroll and trade our stars away for spare parts annually around the trading deadline (CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee? Meet Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk!!)

only thing is, aren't the thrashers close to moving to Winnipeg from what I've heard?

BITEYOASS
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
only thing is, aren't the thrashers close to moving to Winnipeg from what I've heard?

Nope, that would be the Phoenix Coyotes from what I've read.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Coyotes aren't going anywhere, for now anyway...

NHL took them over pending a deal for new ownership to keep team in Phoenix....

BITEYOASS
03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Coyotes aren't going anywhere, for now anyway...

NHL took them over pending a deal for new ownership to keep team in Phoenix....

That was probably the dumbest idea in NHL history, and probably the commissioner's idea. Why the fuck there is a hockey team in the middle of the desert is beyond my comprehension. Probably the idea came from the rich owners who wanted a canadian tax haven. But from the looks of it, the savings they supposedly made from taxes are being offset by expenses, debt and low attendence.

But if the Winnipeg Jets are reincarnated from the Thrashers moving there and the Phoenix Coyotes are the opposing team, then expect every object known to mankind to be thrown at the visiting team's bench and on the ice. :D

damngoodtimes
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
dude, the Thrashers thing just got even better....

they signed 48-year-old Chris Chelios...

you're too young to remember this, but I have visions of Keith Hernandez swirling in my head. (washed up? we'll take ya!!)

damngoodtimes
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
most good fiction comes from truth....
--------------------------------------

Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.
Charlie Donovan: Most of these guys never had a prime.
Rachel Phelps: The fact is we lost our two best players to free agency. We haven't won a pennant in over thirty-five years, we haven't placed higher than fourth in the last fifteen. Obviously it's time for some changes.
Board Member 2: This guy here is dead!
Rachel Phelps: Cross him off, then!

lesfunk
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
The Bruins! 'Cause they suck

Diamondjimi
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
That was probably the dumbest idea in NHL history, and probably the commissioner's idea. Why the fuck there is a hockey team in the middle of the desert is beyond my comprehension. :D

Gary Bettman is a knob gobbling Cocksucker who's never even been on the blades.
He's made it his objective to try and sell Hockey to Hillbilly's and desert dwellers.
Half full arena's in these territory's prove he's a failure who should've been ousted years ago.
He has a hard-on for Canada. We deserve another team. Period.
Jim Balsille has bent over backwards to get another team up here. He should challenge Bettman to a boxing match. Balsille wins, he get a team.
What's next for him. The Arkansas Moonshiner's?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
It's a valid argument, and I agree that there could easily be one, probaby two more teams in Canada... But then someone else can always say that you had teams in Winnipeg and Quebec City before they moved to Phoenix and Colorado....

Diamondjimi
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Let's not forget...

California Golden Seals '67-'76

Atlanta Flames '72-'80

Kansas City Scouts '74-'76

Cleveland Barons '76'-78

Hartford Whalers '79-'97

R.I.P.

;)

atomicpunk5151
03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
If your from Ohio, you should at least consider the C-Bus Blue Jackets.

Sure they are a young team, but they have some potential.

Rick Nash is also a beast. One of the best forwards in the league.

They may be a few years away so you may not have a winner right away, but a fun up tempo team to wtch now that coach Hitch is gone.

Plus you could check out a few games live. Maybe even "FIRE THE CANNON!"

++++

Also the Pens are the best team going.
solid core. Great owner and great GM. Crosby, Malkin, Staal & Fluery will get better each year.

+++

If you want to jump on the latest bandwagon, then be a lame ass CAPS fans....

Blackflag
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Do I have to point out the obvious? Red Wings.

You're welcome.

hideyoursheep
03-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Wake us up when Yakima has something to offer besides a Lesbian Bowling Leauge.
:cool:

BITEYOASS
03-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Let's not forget...

California Golden Seals '67-'76

Atlanta Flames '72-'80

Kansas City Scouts '74-'76

Cleveland Barons '76'-78

Hartford Whalers '79-'97

R.I.P.

;)

To think that Winnipeg use to be in the same league with those clown teams, and lasted longer than any of them.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Do I have to point out the obvious? Red Wings.

You're welcome.

I would wait until they made the playoffs before talking shit, but that's just me....

LoungeMachine
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Wake us up when Yakima has something to offer besides a Lesbian Bowling Leauge.
:cool:

:lmao:

Dont forget the tire fires every Friday night at the landfill....

Romeo Delight
03-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Rick Nash is also a beast. One of the best forwards in the league.

I thought he was Team Canada's best forward in the Olympics. He was always dangerous and in control

Take 'Em
03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Back the Blackhawks for the following reasons:

1. Coolest sweater logo in pro sports
2. Franchise completely turned around since asshole owner died last year.
3. 6 members of team played in 2010 Olympics
4. This year is their best chance to make final in a looooooooong time.
5. I am sick of seeing the Wings or the Penguins in the finals (nothing against the Wings or the Pens)
6. they finally hired some nice looking Ice Girls

Seshmeister
03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Is there anything gayer than taking a girls game and then putting it on ice? :)

kwame k
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Is there anything gayer than taking a girls game and then putting it on ice? :)

They're putting soccer on ice?

Seshmeister
03-25-2010, 01:20 PM
At this point that may be the only way for us to get to a World Cup. :)

Golden AWe
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bfpRkyFviaI/Sf2aEKyiaXI/AAAAAAAACQs/F3AxYIuUtDg/s320/capitals.jpg

Capitals are the best team in hockey right now.

Take 'Em
03-27-2010, 08:29 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bfpRkyFviaI/Sf2aEKyiaXI/AAAAAAAACQs/F3AxYIuUtDg/s320/capitals.jpg

Hawks and Caps in Finals would be great to watch. Somebody will be looking for Alexander's head for the hit on Campbell.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-27-2010, 10:45 AM

We'll see if their defense and goaltending hold up in a seven game series...

Let's not forget, that cushy record is courtesy of playing in the worst division in hockey....

Kinda like the Wings when Chicago weren't very good....

Golden AWe
03-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Let's not forget, that cushy record is courtesy of playing in the worst division in hockey....

Except that they've really beat all the teams in the league...one at a time...Chicago, they won despite being down 0-3, Pittsburgh, our no. 1 enemy, three wins in three matches...I know the goaltending factor is there, and the defense has to tighten up in the playoffs, where less goals are scored, but at the moment the Caps can beat ANYONE.

One thing that has changed a lot is playing in the crease, and in the corners. Mike Knuble is PERFECT cuntpared to the soft Viktor Kozlov we used to have, and Eric Belanger and Scott Walker, and especially Jason Chimera have added even more teeth to the team.

Plus, Nicklas Bäckstrom has been AMAZING....

Hawks and Caps in Finals would be great to watch. Somebody will be looking for Alexander's head for the hit on Campbell.

True dat.

Romeo Delight
03-28-2010, 01:05 AM

Exactly. Not to mention they don't travel at all compared to any Western team.

Everything changes in a seven game series. I honestly don't think the Caps measure up to at least 3 or 4 teams in the West in a 7 game series

Matt White
03-28-2010, 03:18 PM
need a bit of help here, I'm a fan of Cleveland sports team fan, but have always had a bit of an interest in hockey and it's sort of grown during the olympics. I'd really like to have a team to adopt and to follow. And before eveyone says "Adopt the Blue Jackets", something just doesn't feel right, I don't feel in anyway connected to them as I would say, TOSU. Pretty much, I'd like a team to follow just until C-town finally gets it's first hockey franchise since the 1970's (perhaps if the Cavs get good enough, they'll get a new arena or something in a few years and maybe this new team would play there?)

The Pens

No offense to VA., In fact if this team was like..in say..Erie or some place NOT Pittsburgh, I'd be a fan in heartbeat, the jersey's are awesome, they have some decent history, and Sid the kid seems pretty awesome, but something in my blood tells me I can't root for a Pittsburgh sports team.

Any team from NYC

Don't generally really like cheering on big market team.

Any team from Florida or Arizona

How the hell do they even have a hockey franchise?

Teams I'm considering

Boston Bruins

love the "B" and the colors, even though I hate the cities other teams

Buffalo Sabres

Hey if the locals there get to pull for the Tribe, I think I should have the right to pull for their NHL team, plus, I'm sort of naturally attracted to disapointment and failure.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Fairly close to me, and always liked their look overall.

Philadelphia Flyers

The broadstreet bullies just seem so bad ass, plus the jersey seem cool as well.

1st off Unchainme I'd say the Jackets:

1-you're close enough to go see 'em on occasion

2-they're an "up and coming team"...which means they're not selling out home games...which means you can get tickets...

3-You won't be a BANDWAGON jumper...when they do make it good...and they will...you'll have the pleasure of knowing your a REAL sports fan...somebody who bled during the lean years...and the good times will be even better for it...trust me...I vividly...and fondly...remember the DEAD WINGS era...

and if you just can't get into the Jackets....I'd say the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS...still close to you...a YOUNG team on the rise...and yup...they have the KEWLEST FARKING jerseys....EVER

VanHalenFan5150
03-28-2010, 09:58 PM
New jersey devils! :]

Take 'Em
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Great time to be a Blackhawk fan. Still in it and I think will take the Sharks in 6 games, starting with a road win this Sunday..........

Matt White
05-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I bet they sweep the Sharks!

I want an ORIGINAL SIX finals!!!

Whoo-Hoo!!!

MAX
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/slapshot/orrgoal533.jpg

tojoro
05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm from Boston and Bobby Orr is awesome, but this town really needs to let that shit fade into history. I can understand that folks here continue to masturbate to the above pic, as this is a hockey town and we've also haven't had a team that was worthy enough to win the cup since the early 70's...fuck, even Ray Bourque had to go to another town to get his name on Lord Stanley after breaking his nuts for two decades in the gaahden.
That being said, I found out during this morning's news that the Blackhawks are going to the dance, and I say good for them! I think their last cup was the 60-61 season, so they're certainly overdue, plus, my attitude is, if the B's can't get it done, I always root for any of the other Original Six.

Unchainme
07-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Well, the Jets came back..

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/313734/WINNIPEG-JETS-LOGO.jpg

strangely I have this sudden craving to drink my favorite imported beer..wonder why..

http://www.aatiffany.com/images/Labatts%20Blue.jpg