PDA

View Full Version : Some Iraq, Afghanistan war veterans criticize movie 'Hurt Locker' as inaccurate

BigBadBrian
03-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Some Iraq, Afghanistan war veterans criticize movie 'Hurt Locker' as inaccurate

By Christian Davenport
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, February 28, 2010

Time magazine called "The Hurt Locker" "a near-perfect war film," but Ryan Gallucci, an Iraq war veteran, had to turn the movie off three times, he says, "or else I would have thrown my remote through the television."

Critics adore the film and it has been nominated for nine Oscars -- a feat matched only by "Avatar," the top-grossing movie of all time -- but Paul Rieckhoff, founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, says that's "nine more Oscar nominations than it deserves. I don't know why critics love this silly, inaccurate film so much," he wrote on his Facebook page.

Many in the military say "Hurt Locker" is plagued by unforgivable inaccuracies that make the most critically acclaimed Iraq war film to date more a Hollywood fantasy than the searingly realistic rendition that civilians take it for.

To which you might say: It's just a movie and an action flick at that. It's Tinseltown fiction -- an interpretation of war such as "Full Metal Jacket" or "Apocalypse Now." It's supposed to entertain. It's not a documentary, not real life.

But to those who were there, Iraq is real life. And they're very sensitive -- some would say overly so -- when their war is portrayed via a central character who is a reckless rogue.

Hence a rising backlash from people in uniform, such as this response on Rieckhoff's Facebook page from a self-identified Army Airborne Ranger:

"[I]f this movie was based on a war that never existed, I would have nothing to comment about. This movie is not based on a true story, but on a true war, a war in which I have seen my friends killed, a war in which I witnessed my ranger buddy get both his legs blown off. So for Hollywood to glorify this crap is a huge slap in the face to every soldier who's been on the front line."

Even Brian Williams, the NBC News anchor, took a shot on his blog, writing a post titled, "The Hurt Locker: Hurting for a fact-checker." The movie's positive reviews could not have been "written by anyone who had spent any time with U.S. armed forces in Iraq," he wrote, wondering why none of the soldiers in the movie dipped smokeless tobacco or said "hoo-ah" -- "the universal term for hello, goodbye, understood, etc."

'Reckless' character

In an interview, Rieckhoff said the anger about "Hurt Locker" stems not so much from such small inaccuracies -- for example, the uniforms the soldiers wear in the film weren't available until well after the time the story took place -- but rather from the depiction of the main character, Sgt. 1st Class William James.

Portrayed by Jeremy Renner, who's nominated for Best Actor, James is a daredevil who in one scene takes off his protective armor while disarming a bomb because, as he says, "If I'm going to die, I'm going to be comfortable." He runs alone through the streets of Baghdad with his sweat shirt hood up like a gangster. Later, he takes two soldiers hunting for insurgents in Baghdad's back alleys without any backup.

James's fellow soldiers are, or try to be, by-the-book professionals. They call James "rowdy" and "reckless," and one worries out loud that his leader's crazy antics are "going to get me killed." James is as much cowboy as soldier, and vets fear he could become an iconic figure in the American imagination should the movie win a bunch of statues.

"Films, almost more than anything, will be the way Americans understand our war," Rieckhoff said. "So we feel that there is a responsibility for filmmakers to portray our war accurately. We see ourselves as watchdogs. . . . When he puts a hood on like Eminem and starts roving outside the wire, it's ridiculous."

Gallucci, a former sergeant who served in Iraq from 2003 to 2004, says he kept hoping James would get "blown up throughout the entire movie. I wanted to see his poor teammates get another team leader, who was actually concerned about their safety."

'Dramatic effect'

Mark Boal, the film's screenwriter, knows the soldiers in the film are wearing the wrong uniform. He was embedded in Iraq with an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team in 2004, and he's aware of what soldiers wore. Boal has worked as a journalist -- an article he wrote for Playboy became the basis for the 2007 film "In the Valley of Elah," about an Iraq war veteran who is murdered upon returning home -- and he feels a duty to hew as close to possible to the truth.

But "The Hurt Locker" is a movie, not a magazine article, Boal says, and screenwriters need ample artistic license to build a compelling -- and true -- story. So when he chose to have the film's soldiers wear the current Army uniform rather than the one they wore in 2004, it's to allow his audience "to relate to the imagery they saw on the news."

Yes, he had military consultants help him get details of radio protocol and uniforms right, but he never felt obliged to be precisely accurate. The consultants, Boal says, give a writer the information he needs so that "when you do choose to make a dramatic effect, [you] do it in a way that is not totally embarrassing."

The arc of the narrative, he says, has to come from the writer. "The story came out of my imagination based on my life experience and hundreds of conversations I've had with soldiers.

"I definitely tried for dramatic effect to make artistic choices, but I hope I made them respectfully and carefully and with the goal of not making a training video or a documentary, but showing just how hellish this war is. I was also aware, by the way, that there are many wonderful documentaries on Iraq and many wonderful articles, which no one has seen. And quite frankly, I was hoping that people would see the film."

Art vs. reality

Each writer's search for truth lands at a different point on the spectrum between art and reality. When screenwriter David Simon made the series "Generation Kill" for HBO, he considered it more important to have Marines find his work an accurate portrayal of their culture and experience invading Iraq than to win critical acclaim. "The real fun isn't trying to convince the average viewer" that we have it right, he told the Marine Corps Times. "It's trying to convince people who have been in the game."

Boal not only wanted to tell a riveting and important story, but also to raise awareness about soldiers who disarm bombs, a specialty known as explosive ordnance disposal, which he believed the general public knew little about, even though hidden bombs are the leading cause of casualties in Iraq.

As a result, despite some complaints about inaccuracies, many veterans of bomb disposal units love the movie, says James O'Neil, executive director of the EOD Memorial Foundation, a nonprofit that has benefited financially from the film.

"While there is some artistic license," O'Neil says, "there's a lot of good representation of the intensity and the courage that's displayed by EOD techs. What it takes to find, identify and then render safe those [bombs] -- that's a story, and it's an incredible story."

Filmmakers always worry that productions that servicemembers see as spot-on might leave general audiences cold. So: Is it really important that a war movie be accurate?

No, says David McKenna, a film professor at Columbia University. "Hurt Locker," he argues, isn't as much about Iraq as it is about one soldier's addiction to war. It's a character study, an exploration of courage, bravado and leadership told through "a series of suspenseful situations. I suppose it could have just as easily been set in outer space."

If veterans don't like it, McKenna says, "well, this is an opportunity to go make your own movie."

Some Iraq, Afghanistan war veterans criticize movie 'Hurt Locker' as inaccurate (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/25/AR2010022506161_pf.html)

kwame k
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
You mean to tell me Hollywood put out a war movie that's not 100% accurate?

Wow, because we all look to Hollywood for the truth and not entertainment.......

BigBadBrian
03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow, because we all look to Hollywood for the truth and not entertainment.......

Sadly, many of your ilk do.

kwame k
03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Sadly, many of your ilk do.

Says the mental midget who posted a movie review in The Front Line.....

Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.

chefcraig
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
At first, it's kind of easy to just say "Duh, it's a movie, not a documentary", but you really can see where veterans that put their lives on the line have every right to complain about inaccuracies and falsehoods in a film that attempts to tell (what is more than anything) their story. The thing is, this is but one movie. Certainly there will be many more to follow, and the opportunity to get things right certainly will arrive. Remember, these things need to be written first before they can be filmed, and books written by veterans of this war will be a valuable source of material to come.

Unchainme
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
wow, bigblandbrian finally link a story from a somewhat reputable news service?

it's a miracle!

Anonymous
03-01-2010, 01:27 PM
If this thread was made in irony, it's a work of genious.

If not, it's the work of a retard.

Cheers! :bottle:

kwame k
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
At first, it's kind of easy to just say "Duh, it's a movie, not a documentary", but you really can see where veterans that put their lives on the line have every right to complain about inaccuracies and falsehoods in a film that attempts to tell (what is more than anything) their story. The thing is, this is but one movie. Certainly there will be many more to follow, and the opportunity to get things right certainly will arrive. Remember, these things need to be written first before they can be filmed, and books written by veterans of this war will be a valuable source of material to come.

True but it's still a movie. Vets have earned the right to complain about accuracy in a movie but is this movie claiming to be based on a true story or does portraying the character they way they do add to the overall plot and story line the director was going for.

I really don't get the people who complain about say, Stone's JFK or Nixon. At the end of the day no one is claiming these are factual or accurate portrayals of the subject they bring to the screen.

This is Hollywood after all.

jhale667
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Dontcha love how dipshits like Brie have the prerequisite Repuke-superiority complex?

"Your ilk", Brie - REALLLY? You mean, the posters around here (like Kwame) who can kick your ass with one lobe of their brain tied behind their backs? Oh wait...that's EVERYONE. :lmao:

Pathetic douche.

sadaist
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
This just in...not all Mermaids will look like a young Darryl Hannah.

Blackflag
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
This just in...not all Mermaids will look like a young Darryl Hannah.

Have you ever seen an ugly mermaid?

Guitar Shark
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Have you ever seen an ugly mermaid?

Billy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

chefcraig
03-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Billy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

Guitar Shark
03-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Crap... is the kid's name Joey and not Billy?

FAIL

chefcraig
03-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Who cares?

Joey, have you ever been in a...Turkish prison?

jhale667
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
:lmao: Just wrong.

chefcraig
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Joey...do you like to hang around the gymnasium?

It really tells you how times have changed that most of these sequences are completely edited out whenever the movie shows up on tv today.

BigBadBrian
03-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Dontcha love how dipshits like Brie have the prerequisite Repuke-superiority complex?

"Your ilk", Brie - REALLLY? You mean, the posters around here (like Kwame) who can kick your ass with one lobe of their brain tied behind their backs

I'm waiting....:barf:

I'm impressed how you stick up for your "partner" though.

Besides, you're emulating Lounge again. Get your own material. Maybe you should enroll in a debating course in your local community college? Take some economics while you're at it. :biggrin:

jhale667
03-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Besides, you're emulating Lounge again. Get your own material. Maybe you should enroll in a debating course in your local community college? Take some economics while you're at it. :biggrin:

FUck you, dude.

I don't have to emulate anyone. I can tear your pathetic ass to shreds in my on inimitable style, you ball-gargling neocon halfwit, I don't need to pilfer anyone else's routine.
And if my debate skills were truly in question, you clearly wouldn't have to resort to accusing me of "emulating" people every time you respond to my slamming you, would you now? Clearly you're the one in need of a debate coach. And community college.

And LMAO @ "Get your own material" - this from the resident FAUX News parrot...eat a dick, loser.

:lmao:

Seshmeister
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM
This was worse... :)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/iwo_jima.jpg

kwame k
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Run Forrest, run.......this coming from the idiot who emulates Sarah Palin :umm:

BigBadBrian
03-03-2010, 07:45 AM
FUck you, dude.

I don't have to emulate anyone. I can tear your pathetic ass to shreds in my on inimitable style, you ball-gargling neocon halfwit, I don't need to pilfer anyone else's routine.

Yeah....OK Pinocchio. :biggrin:

You're just a half-wit puppet on a string. I move the string and you respond in a most unintelligent fashion...with obvious anger.

Keep it up...your posts are rather entertaining. :beers8:

jhale667
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah....OK Pinocchio. :biggrin:

You're just a half-wit puppet on a string. I move the string and you respond in a most unintelligent fashion...with obvious anger.

Whatever, Doucheholio...:hee:
As opposed to a witless idiot that hates his country and (for no apparent reason other than he's a big bad black man) his president? I can live with that. Again, as for debate skills, it's kinda weak to call the person the same thing they called you, halfwit. Shows your obvious lack of depth (and limited vocabularly, but neocons don't like all that fancy "book-learnin'" I almost forgot).
No anger either, more like pity for your Obama-hating, Palin-supporting teabagging idiocy. Because you're really pretty sad. Pathetic, even.

Coincidentally, so's smacking the f*** out of you on a regular basis! :tongue0011:

BigBadBrian
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Coincidentally, so's smacking the f*** out of you on a regular basis! :tongue0011:

Keep dreaming! :biggrin:

http://www.exberliner.com/files/imagecache/genera_images/files/pinocchioDisney1.jpg

jhale667
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Keep dreaming! :biggrin:

Whatever you say, king of denial...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/metalflorido11790/Joe%20Dirt/JoeDirt.jpg

kwame k
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – A bomb disposal expert who served in the Iraq war plans to sue the makers of "The Hurt Locker," claiming the film's lead character is based on him and that they cheated him out of "financial participation in the film," his attorney said.

Attorney Geoffrey Fieger said at a news conference Wednesday that he plans to file the multimillion-dollar lawsuit in New Jersey court on behalf of Master Sgt. Jeffrey Sarver.

Sarver claims the film's screenwriter, Mark Boal, was embedded in Sarver's unit and that the information he gathered was used in the film, Fieger said in a news release. The film is nominated for nine Academy Awards, including best original screenplay.

Sarver says the main character, Will James, is based on him and that James' call signal, "Blaster One," was his during his tours of duty, Fieger said. Sarver also says he coined the phrase "The Hurt Locker."

Fieger said Boal's embedded reporting led to an article in Playboy magazine about Sarver, and that story later was adapted by Boal for "The Hurt Locker" screenplay.

The movie's U.S. distributor, Summit Entertainment, issued a statement saying it hopes "for a quick resolution to the claims made by Master Sgt. Sarver."

Rest here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100303/ap_en_ot/us_hurt_locker_lawsuit;_ylt=AseAdXJ_iCy4Zck3mJTG8t NxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTJydjU2MzZmBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMz AzL3VzX2h1cnRfbG9ja2VyX2xhd3N1aXQEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3lu X2FydGljbGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNib21iZGlzcG9zYW w-)

Seshmeister
03-03-2010, 07:43 PM
What a twat.

Dr. Love
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
NEWS ALERT

SOME PEOPLE ARE DISAGREEING WITH OTHERS, NEWS AT 11

what a surprise

Nickdfresh
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone whose actually worked with EOD personnel will know that about 50% of them are the biggest fucking whiners and braggarts in the Army...

I had one actually tell me that he's on par with a special operations unit--which I found to be fucking hysterical...

hideyoursheep
03-04-2010, 06:44 AM

YOU of all people aren't one to be referring to others as a "puppet". Go practice your Republican Goose-Stepping somewhere else if you don't want people with twice the amount of common sense you possess, to call you on your mental-quadriplegic shit.:fufu:

What's entertaining to me is that you pour honey on your ankles to keep the ants from eating your candy-ass.:biggrin:

Again,:fufu:

BigBadBrian
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
What's entertaining to me is that you pour honey on your ankles to keep the ants from eating your candy-ass.:biggrin:
Again,:fufu:

The internet makes everyone tough...even a puss like you.

:hee:

BigBadBrian
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Anyone whose actually worked with EOD personnel will know that about 50% of them are the biggest fucking whiners and braggarts in the Army...

Maybe the Army, I wouldn't know, but not the Navy.

I used to work with about 50 of those EOD guys. They are the real deal and they walk the talk.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2010, 10:39 PM

I used to work with about 50 of those EOD guys. They are the real deal and they walk the talk.

Some in all services walk-the-walk. But many have the same ticky characteristics... (The ex-Air Force and marines seem to be the lowest maintenance.)

I worked with a retired Navy EOD. A nice guy, but also a neurotic, sheltered strange dude--who like his Army brethren--exuded the typical penchant for feeling under-appreciated (despite how overpaid UXO techs are for barely working--ahhh, the excuses that ordnance gives you to go really, really slooooowwwww and take LOTS of breaks) and who never failed to inform the nearest waitress how badass it was that he defused fake landmines for a living. He also had an awfully big mouth, and if he met up with the wrong ex-Navy SEALS, they might have had a few words for him...

hideyoursheep
03-05-2010, 05:02 AM
The internet makes everyone tough...:

:lol: ..said the dork that named himself BigBadBrian.

even a puss like you.

:hee:

What are you trying to say here, sweetcheeks?

hideyoursheep
03-05-2010, 05:05 AM

I think it's the same school, knucklehead.:rolleyes:

It's one way to gain promotion points, but if you think it's some kind of hardcore Rambo bullshit, you're as nuts as letsrock (allegedly EOD).

Nickdfresh
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
They just had an ex-Army EOD guy on ABC News who said the film was very realistic and took him back to flashbacks of Iraq...

stringfelowhawk
03-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I watched this movie a few weeks ago and honestly, I don't get the hype. I had a hard time staying awake. The fact that its being so critically hailed just reinforced my belief that critics are complete jackass' considering they never seem to like good movies but love the boring high brow period shit that's practically unwatchable.

I won't pretend to know how a majority of E.O.D's are cause fact is I only know one. My ex-father in law is a retired Army E.O.D and he's a great guy. He doesn't really talk about the things he's done or does. The last time we spoke he told me he was going to Iraq to do what he does as a civilian and was getting paid well but he's not arrogant or a braggart about it. Maybe he's the exception rather than the rule.

Nickdfresh
03-07-2010, 10:38 AM
War Hero 'Hurt' by 'The Hurt Locker'
Army Bomb Sergeant Sues Makers of Oscar-Nominated Film for Stealing His Identity
By LUCHINA FISHER

Mar. 3, 2010—

A U.S. Army bomb disposal expert is suing the makers of "The Hurt Locker," claiming that the film's lead character is based on him and that he's been cheated out of "financial participation in the film."

At a press conference today in Southfield, Mich., Master Sgt. Jeffrey Sarver told reporters that he was "hurt after being cut out of 'The Hurt Locker,' no pun intended."

Sarver's attorney Geoffrey Fieger, famous for his defense of Dr. Jack "Doctor Death" Kevorkian, filed the multi-million dollar lawsuit in New Jersey. The suit names the producers, director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal.

Sarver told reporters that Boal spent 30 days embedded with him and his explosive ordinance disposal unit and subsequently wrote a Playboy magazine article about him.

Boal then adapted the article for the screenplay, making the main character Sgt. Will James, who is played by Jeremy Renner. But Boal and the producers claim that the characters portrayed in the film are all fictional.

Sarver, however, said the film details at least a dozen of his experiences, including placing unexploded bombs under his bed and showering in his uniform.

Sarver's nickname Blaster One became the lead character's nickname. And the phrase "The Hurt Locker" was coined by Sarver, who said it's a psychological place that soldiers go when they've have a bad day or lost someone on their unit.

Fieger told ABCNews.com that Sarver wasn't aware that his identity had been appropriated for the film until after the movie was released. "They never approached him before," he said.

Fieger said he and his client waited until after Oscar voting closed to file the lawsuit. The film is nominated for nine Oscars, including best picture, best director and best screenplay. Renner is also nominated for best actor.

Lawsuit Wants 'Hurt Locker' to Do Well

"I don't want anybody to suggest we interfered with the Oscar voting," Fieger said. "We want the film to do well."

Ultimately they filed the suit because, Fieger said, "It became intolerable in terms of the refusal of the studio and Boal to acknowledge the obvious."

War Hero Sues Makers of Oscar-nominated Film 'Hurt Locker' for Stealing Identity - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Oscars/war-hero-sues-makers-hurt-locker-stealing-identity/story?id=9999266)

Val Clark, a reporter with ABC affiliate WXYZ in Detroit, contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures