PDA

View Full Version : Job application credit checks

sadaist
03-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I hope this gets passed in all states. I remember when I first had to allow one of these back in the mid 90's. I was thinking it was bullshit. If I don't have money to pay my bills, obviously I need a job. But some can't get a job because they don't pay their bills on time. Can't pay your bills on time without a job. Catch 22 that has been totally overlooked by the lawmakers. They need to put an end to this now.

I can understand if you are working with large sums of cash the need for something like this. If someone is drowning in debt, foreclosures, liens, property seizures & repossessions...you probably don't want them driving a Brinks truck. But for 99% of jobs I think it's pure bullshit.

States may ban credit checks on job applicants - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100301/ap_on_bi_ge/us_banning_credit_checks)

States may ban credit checks on job applicants

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – It's hard enough to find a job in this economy, and now some people are facing another hurdle: Potential employers are holding their credit histories against them.

Sixty percent of employers recently surveyed by the Society for Human Resources Management said they run credit checks on at least some job applicants, compared with 42 percent in a somewhat similar survey in 2006.

Employers say such checks give them valuable information about an applicant's honesty and sense of responsibility. But lawmakers in at least 16 states from South Carolina to Oregon have proposed outlawing most credit checks, saying the practice traps people in debt because their past financial problems prevent them from finding work.

Wisconsin state Rep. Kim Hixson drafted a bill in his state shortly after hearing from Terry Becker, an auto mechanic who struggled to find work.

Becker said it all started with medical bills that piled up when his now 10-year-old son began having seizures as a toddler. In the first year alone, Becker ran up $25,000 in medical debt.

Over 4 1/2 months, he was turned down for at least eight positions for which he had authorized the employer to conduct a credit check, Becker said. He said one potential employer told him, "If your credit is bad, then you'll steal from me."

"I was in a deep depression. I had lost a business, I was behind on my bills and I was unable to get a job," he said.

Hixson calls what happened to Becker discrimination based on credit history and said his bill would ban it.

"If somebody is trying to get a job as a truck driver or a trainer in a gym, what does your credit history have to do with your ability to do that job?" Hixson said. He said he knows of no research that shows a person with a bad credit history is going to perform poorly.

Under federal law, prospective employers must get written permission from applicants to run a credit check on them. But consumer advocates say most job applicants do not feel they are in a position to say no.

Most of the bills being proposed this year resemble laws in Hawaii and Washington that prevent employers from using credit reports when hiring for most positions. The laws contain exceptions in cases where such information could be relevant to the job — for example, if the person is applying to work in a bank or an accounts-payable office.

On a national level, Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., introduced a similar bill last summer in Congress, where it is still bottled up in committee.

Even though more companies are using credit checks, only 13 percent perform them on all potential hires, according to the Society for Human Resources Management's most recent survey. Mike Aitken, the group's director of government affairs, said a blanket ban could remove a tool employers can use to help them make good hiring decisions.

Aitken pointed to a 2008 survey by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners that found the two most common red flags for employees who commit workplace fraud are living beyond their means and having difficulty meeting financial obligations. The same survey estimated American companies lost $994 billion to workplace fraud in 2008.

Aitken said someone who cannot pay his or her bills on time may not be more likely to steal, but might not have the maturity or sense of responsibility to handle a job like processing payroll checks.

In Maryland, where the state Chamber of Commerce opposes a bill banning most credit checks, employers at a recent legislative hearing said they are not interested in applicants' credit scores.

Instead, they said, they are concerned about things like debt collections and legal judgments rather than poor credit because of medical bills or school loans. They also said companies give job applicants a chance to explain their credit problems.

Last year California lawmakers voted to curb the use of such checks, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the bill under pressure from Chamber of Commerce leaders who called it a "job-killer."

But Maryland Delegate Kirill Reznik, who drafted the bill being considered in his state, said people struggling to get jobs need help.

"We are in the great recession and this creates a vicious cycle," Reznik said. "People lose their jobs, that naturally precipitates them getting behind on bills, their credit scores go down, they are trying to find a job to pay off the bills, and employers won't hire them because of their credit score."

Maryland public school employee Jen Harwood said running credit checks on job applicants "perpetuates the divide between the haves and the have-nots."

"If you continue digging into people's past and not looking into what people have to give today, you are making a bigger divide," Harwood said.

Consumer advocacy groups are also lining up behind the legislation, pointing out that credit reports can contain inaccurate information.

Becker, the Milton, Wis., resident with bad credit, has found work dismantling cars at an auto recycling company that did not ask to run a credit check. He worries, though, about friends in the auto industry are looking for work and coming up empty-handed because of credit problems.

"It just seems like once you fall behind, you're behind," he said. "It's really hard to get back on the right financial track."

FORD
03-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Credit checks should only be required for someone who is actually applying for credit. They have nothing to do with employment, or insurance, or renting a goddamn apartment.

Bank of America made my life a living Hell for years, because of errors on their part. Sure I made some mistakes when I was young and stupid, but they extended the life of those mistakes 15 years or so after the fact. Wasn't easy to find a place to live during those times, and wouldn't be surprised if I lost a job or two that way.

sadaist
03-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Credit checks should only be required for someone who is actually applying for credit. They have nothing to do with employment, or insurance, or renting a goddamn apartment.

Bank of America made my life a living Hell for years, because of errors on their part. Sure I made some mistakes when I was young and stupid, but they extended the life of those mistakes 15 years or so after the fact. Wasn't easy to find a place to live during those times, and wouldn't be surprised if I lost a job or two that way.

Exactly. And it just isn't being young & stupid. Things happen in life we can't control. Illness, divorce, loss of job, etc... All these can screw up your credit, not to mention identity theft which is rampant.

This is just unfair to people applying for a job. Base hiring on education, experience & capabilities. They don't credit check current employees. Imagine how many people working for these companies have fucked up their credit during their time of employ. Are they going to fire a good employee because suddenly their credit takes a shit?

Nitro Express
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't see why you have to be drug tested to sit at a desk. I can see it if you are flying an aircraft or driving something that can kill a lot of people if you fuck up. The probing has gone beyond reason in the US. In Holland you can smoke some weed on your own time and still work at a bank.

What's funny is I worked for Lockheed-Martin and had to be fingerprinted, have the FBI do a check on me which they even contacted high school peers and teachers of mine, all that but they never made me piss in a bottle. I had to piss in a bottle to work at American Express though. LOL! I guess they didn't want a cubicle rat with dirty pee.

Hardrock69
03-02-2010, 01:03 AM
I can see drug testing for jobs that have safety issues.

Credit checks? Naaah. That is a load of shit.

If I applied for a job and was told they were going to run a credit check on me I would tell them to go fuck themselves.

sadaist
03-02-2010, 01:40 AM
If I applied for a job and was told they were going to run a credit check on me I would tell them to go fuck themselves.

But a lot require them. I bet if you refused that you wouldn't even get a second look. Which is fine when jobs are plentiful. But with slim pickings in the job market, you are at the employers mercy.

I doubt this will get passed. Politicians are owned by corporations, and the corps don't wanna give this up.

Blackflag
03-02-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't see why you have to be drug tested to sit at a desk. I can see it if you are flying an aircraft or driving something that can kill a lot of people if you fuck up. The probing has gone beyond reason in the US.

If you own a private company, I think you have a right to exclude potheads if you want...Maybe you don't want your employees to fuck up whether it's a safety issue or not.

I don't see what a credit check has to do with anything, though.

Blackflag
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
If I applied for a job

That will be the day.

sadaist
03-02-2010, 02:33 AM
I understand why the employers want to use these. It does show responsibility. But so does a resume. If a resume shows a college education, accolades, accomplishments, and excellent experience...that reflects on the personal responsibility the applicant has as well.

BigBadBrian
03-02-2010, 07:38 AM

I can see your point on jobs or insurance, but I can definitely see why someone would want a credit check on a potential renter.

bueno bob
03-02-2010, 07:41 AM
I can see your point on jobs or insurance, but I can definitely see why someone would want a credit check on a potential renter.

What do you suggest the results conclude in? Higher security deposits prior to rental or just a flat out refusal to rent to somebody who doesn't pass the check?

chefcraig
03-02-2010, 07:44 AM

Agree completely. There is a current scam in my area where "renters" will come up with the required amount of money (a first and next, usually) for a home or apartment, then not pay another cent to the landlord. It takes months to evict these deadbeats, who essentially live rent-free until the process is completed. And shutting off the utilities does nothing, as these "people" will squat in the home, making do one way or another and causing so much damage that the landlord will need to completely overhaul the site in order to make it presentable again.

Oh, and the creeps who caused the problems? They usually flee in the dead of night, only to begin the scam anew in the next township.

Nickdfresh
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
There have been a couple of studies done on this (university studies that is) I recall reading recently in a story about credit checks on job applicants. The studies concluded that not only were people with sketchy credit no more likely to be 'security risks' than people with good credit, but that they tended to be more hard working, subservient, and dedicated because they knew they had fucking bad credit and wanted to get out of it. (duh!) And that those who had medical bankruptcies, divorces, or prolonged periods of unemployment were often the hardest working of the bunch...

PETE'S BROTHER
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Agree completely. There is a current scam in my area where "renters" will come up with the required amount of money (a first and next, usually) for a home or apartment, then not pay another cent to the landlord. It takes months to evict these deadbeats, who essentially live rent-free until the process is completed. And shutting off the utilities does nothing, as these "people" will squat in the home, making do one way or another and causing so much damage that the landlord will need to completely overhaul the site in order to make it presentable again.

Oh, and the creeps who caused the problems? They usually flee in the dead of night, only to begin the scam anew in the next township.

Pacific Heights (1990) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100318/)

Nickdfresh
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM

It would seem to me that a criminal background check would be far more effective and important than that. And a renter can always demand references...

Kristy
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I can understand if you are working with large sums of cash the need for something like this. If someone is drowning in debt, foreclosures, liens, property seizures & repossessions...you probably don't want them driving a Brinks truck. But for 99% of jobs I think it's pure bullshit.

A lot of it was a smokescreen to crack down on the employment of illegals by forcing large corporations to check credit on top on U.S. citizenship identification. Problem with that is many illegals can get credit much more easily than they ever will a green card.

Nitro Express
03-02-2010, 05:33 PM

You just described why I got out of the residential real estate business.

LoungeMachine
03-02-2010, 05:35 PM

There's another even scarier one.....

Scammers will rent a home, and then list it on craigslist.

They'll show it to desperate families and grant them a lease without a credit check, so of course these families all pounce on it....

Then moving day arrives only to find 4 or 5 families and their U-Hauls all showing up to the same house to move in.

In a matter of days the scammers have made off with thousands and the families have NO recourse, and nowhere to live.....

:gulp:

Republican Recessions / Depressions like the one we're in now always bring out the worst grifters.....

Nitro Express
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
There's a lady here that works at a grocery store in the winter and when the snow melts she dissapears into the mountains and lives off the land. She like being homeless and she doesn't want anyone to know where she goes. The last of the mountain people I guess.

Kristy
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I can see drug testing for jobs that have safety issues.

And that's where it should start and end: air traffic controller, train operator, bus driver, 911 dispatcher...but to use it as an excuse for seeking minimum wage part time at a corporate shithole like Borders is beyond ridiculous.

What if your "testing" comes up a false-positive? Or you do test positive and they don't hire you does that company you applied to have the right to sell that information to other employers by putting in on a data base? This is why, apart from public safety you never apply for a job that requires drug testing.

kwame k
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
You just described why I got out of the residential real estate business.

Me too......

Nitro Express
03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
You can do all the checks you want and still rent to a dud. The problem you run into is the person who signs the lease might be decent but they have a bad taste in lovers, husbands, or their family sucks. I rented to a legal secretary who was a great tenant but like a dummy fell in love with a prison pen pal. Her born again church would befriend prisoners and she married her pen pal in prison! He gets out and starts running a meth lab when she's at work. The whole situation went south in a hurry. So you don't know who's going to be in your property when you rent it to even someone who shoots sparks out their ass on the good tenant guage.

Guitar Shark
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Finally a worthwhile, mature post from BBB.

It was bound to happen eventually, so I thought I should make a note of it.

LoungeMachine
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Finally a worthwhile, mature post from BBB.

It was bound to happen eventually, so I thought I should make a note of it.

I got bored and hacked his account.....

:gulp:

sorry.

sadaist
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I can definitely see why someone would want a credit check on a potential renter.

I can too. With these stories of the dregs of society screwing things up. But should everyone be punished for what a few do? To me, this is just like the beach alcohol bans. San Diego beaches are now 100% dry. Why? Because a couple times a few douche bags over did it and got into fights on the boardwalks. So because a few people were idiots, no one can have a beer at the beach anymore.

To me, it boils down to enforcing current laws and don't make new ones. Bring the hammer down on the people abusing their rights, but do not take away those rights from others. (Fighting is already illegal)

Credit checks on renters is too black & white. And a lot of honest people with some mishaps in their past are having a hard time finding a place to live. The most basic of all needs.

What's next? Credit checks before you can order at an expensive restaurant? All because a few assholes skip out on their bill.

sadaist
03-03-2010, 03:52 AM
So far, the people in this thread have the same feeling about credit checks for employment. And we range from pretty far ends of the political spectrum, yet all agree here. So my question is this.

The politicians who are allowing this to happen, just exactly who are they representing? Who are the constituents that want this and think it's a great idea?

bueno bob
03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
You can do all the checks you want and still rent to a dud. The problem you run into is the person who signs the lease might be decent but they have a bad taste in lovers, husbands, or their family sucks. I rented to a legal secretary who was a great tenant but like a dummy fell in love with a prison pen pal. Her born again church would befriend prisoners and she married her pen pal in prison! He gets out and starts running a meth lab when she's at work. The whole situation went south in a hurry. So you don't know who's going to be in your property when you rent it to even someone who shoots sparks out their ass on the good tenant guage.

Exactly. All the credit checks and background checks in the world, while initially beneficial, can suddenly mean nothing in a very short amount of time.

Seshmeister
03-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Yeah for example you could get married...