PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service Wants to Cut Back Mail Delivery

Candy Girl
03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Andrea Stone Senior Washington Correspondent

WASHINGTON (March 2) -- The U.S. Postal Service delivered the bad news today about your mail delivery: It's going to keep getting worse.

Citing "unprecedented volume declines" in what has derisively become known as snail mail, Postmaster General John Potter announced a projected $238 billion shortfall in revenues over the next decade that will require deep cuts if the independent agency founded by Benjamin Franklin is to survive in the Internet age.

"The crisis we're facing gives us an historic opportunity to make changes that will lay the foundation for a leaner, more market responsive Postal Service that can thrive far into the future," Potter said in announcing a series of steps to deal with the fiscal crisis.

Among the fixes he's proposing:

-- Cut back from delivering mail six days a week to five.

-- Restructure retiree health benefits payments to conform with the rest of the federal government and most of the private sector. Under current law, the agency pays $5.4 billion to $5.8 billion annually to prefund retiree health benefits, often resulting in overpayment.

-- "Modernize" customer access. Translation: close underutilized post offices and provide services in more convenient locations like grocery stores, pharmacies, retail centers and office supply stores. The plan would also increase the number of self-service kiosks and improve the postal service website.

-- Reduce the size of the workforce through attrition; more than 300,000 employees will reach retirement age in the next decade.

-- Increase stamp prices in 2011.

Those moves and more come as mail volume is projected to fall from 177 billion in 2009 to 150 billion in 2020. First-Class mail alone has plummeted 37 percent , with revenues expected to drop. Revenue contributed by First-Class Mail will plummet from 51 percent today to about 35 percent in 2020.

In the last quarter, which included Christmas -- the heaviest volume period of the year -- the Postal Service lost $297 million.

Those weren't the first losses, which have been mounting for years and were made worse by rising unemployment and the economic downturn.

So it was hardly a surprise when Potter asked Congress earlier this year to do away with the law that requires mail be delivered six days a week. He is expected to submit a formal request to the Postal Regulatory Commission by the end of this month to get permission to deliver mail only on week days. Although there will be much sorting out before the Postal Service can follow through with its plan -- including getting Congress to agree -- the future trajectory is clearly bleak.

More people are paying their bills online. Fuel costs are rising. Health care benefits for postal employees is soaring like everyone else's. And mail-order catalogs are being supplanted by retail websites.

"Lifestyles and ways of doing business have changed dramatically in the last 40 years, but some of the laws that govern the Postal Service have not," Potter said. "These laws need to be modernized to reflect today's economic and business challenges and the dramatic impact the Internet has had on American life."

Americans seem resigned to the changes. A Gallup Poll in June found 66 percent favor going to five-day-a-week delivery to make up for the postal service's financial losses. The least favorite solution, with 88 percent opposed, was closing a local post office -- an idea the Postal Service suggested last summer when it proposed shutting or consolidating more than 150 post offices across the country.

As if things weren't tough enough for the Postal Service, this winter showed it has hardly lived up to its supposed slogan -- "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." During last month's mega-snowstorm in Washington, some customers went for a week or more without mail.

Like newspapers and other businesses that relied on paper, the Postal Service has flailed around for years trying to reverse the electronic trend. The latest series of proposals come after it paid $4.8 million to three outside consulting firms to come up with ways to cut costs and provide new services. The studies by Boston Consulting Group, Accenture and McKinsey and Co. outlined more than 50 ways the agency could address volume declines that will not reverse.

Filed under: Nation, Top Stories

Since the Post Office took out the self service vending for stamps and such, I said "screw it" and use Fedex and the internet. The Post Offices' hours are not good for the normal workweek either, so buh-bye.

Hardrock69
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Like they need any more pressure to deliver the mail on time.

I look for the increase in sales of guns and ammo and the increased workload of postal employees to result in an increase in postal employees going postal on postal employees.

Nitro Express
03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Like they need any more pressure to deliver the mail on time.

I look for the increase in sales of guns and ammo and the increased workload of postal employees to result in an increase in postal employees going postal on postal employees.

Guns and ammo are so passe. It seems that flying airplanes into buildings is the new trend. Maybe homemade flame throwers and napalm with be next?

Hardrock69
03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Hmm, better watch out. We don't need to give any postal workers lurking here any new ideas. :D

twonabomber
03-03-2010, 12:04 AM
closing 150 post offices shouldn't be hard. i can think of at least three here that were only opened because the local congressman owed someone a favor.

LoungeMachine
03-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Oh damn.....

You mean my mailbox WONT be filled every saturday with junk and bulk mail bullshit?

Gee, just think of all the gas that wont get to be wasted.....

:gulp:

Great idea, 10 years too late.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hox-ni8geIw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hox-ni8geIw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ZahZoo
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
The recycling lobby should really get behind the US Postal Service... Never a day goes by where my first stop from the mailbox is the recycling bin... 40-60% gets deposited without even a pause to read it.

Want to cut expenses... ban junk mail. Good for the environment too. How many trees are harvested and fuel/energy wasted on tons of crap no one wants?

Susie Q
03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
The post office thing is a pain in my side. They have fucked up MORE of my important mail than I care to talk about. I bought my house and the deed to my property goes next door to the transient building. I had to change the address on my drivers license, the license goes next door...here's the best....my statement from my checking account ends up next door. I also get their mail as well...papers from the court system, welfare recert papers, it's insane. I saved a stack that measured a couple inches thick and brought it down to the post office and said I was sick and tired of playing postman everyday and if I have to deliver mail one more time to next door, I will come down there with an itemized bill for my services each day. It took nearly TWO YEARS for the post office to figure out WHO lives where. I still get fucked up mail every now and again.

I have NOTHING come to this address but bullshit catalogs. Fuck the post office. If I have to mail something, I mostly use UPS/FedEx.

CVH Rulz
03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
That would totally fuck up my twice a week movies from Netflix. :pullinghair:

Terry
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
That would totally fuck up my twice a week movies from Netflix. :pullinghair:

That's literally the only aspect about the whole biz that bummed me out, cuz now I got my queue running where I get 'em delivered on Wednesdays, then Saturdays...some weeks I'd manage to pull off getting them in the mail on Monday, mail 'em out Tuesday morning and get the next two in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday, then mail those out the next day and get two more on Saturday. All depends on how quickly I could dup the flicks and get 'em back in the mail. Plus, living in a city that has a Netflix facility in it helps.

Short of that, the USPS can fuck off.

Uninventive, coasting on tradition, refusing to adapt, whining about other businesses and technology encroaching on their sacred turf.

Now they face an upcoming 300 billion dollar shortfall, and all they can trot out is their perpetual solution to their constant budget woes: raise the price of stamps, MAYBE close a few substandard offices and POSSIBLY not deliver on Saturdays. Ooooh...and they'll consider putting some kiosks in a few malls!

Nothing about modernizing their vehicle fleet. Nothing about addressing what their competition has done right to change with the times.

Fucking useless. And now they want a bailout, too? I thought the USPS always ballyhooed itself as a government agency that didn't cost the taxpayers any money.

So that's the tactic, eh? Jack up the prices and decrease the level of service?

Christ. To think 650k jobs are tied up with that fossil of a business model.

TAKIN WHISKEY
03-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Something our government controls is losing money?

Nitro Express
03-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Something our government controls is losing money?

You can add in Amtrack and FEMA for federal brilliance. Watch. Halliburton and Black Water will start running the post office. They will jack up the PO Box and stamp prices and if you complain, you will be arrested and tried for heresy.

Blackflag
03-05-2010, 03:01 AM
You mean they want to raise prices and provide less service? Classic government idea of smart business.

TAKIN WHISKEY
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Medicaid, social security and the list goes on. Sheesh, even our the glaciers are melting in Glacier NATIONAL Park.:biggrin:

LoungeMachine
03-05-2010, 06:02 PM
You mean they want to raise prices and provide less service? Classic government idea of smart business.

Gee, that's funny...

Isn't that the EXACT business model used by today's Health Insurance Providers?

:gulp:

Nitro Express
03-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Medicaid, social security and the list goes on. Sheesh, even our the glaciers are melting in Glacier NATIONAL Park.:biggrin:

That has to be the most boring National Park. I went up there to check it out and ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

Nitro Express
03-06-2010, 02:02 AM
Actually National Parks were one of the good things government has done. Without out the protection, the mining companies would have torn Yellowstone apart and the rich would have bought up a lot of the land for their use and excluded everyone else.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I'd have no problem with them cutting it down to 5 days....

I've made the majority of my bills paperless, so I could care less....

I guess I'll start getting letters from college coaches for my son starting this summer, but other than that, no biggie to me...

TAKIN WHISKEY
03-06-2010, 10:21 AM
That has to be the most boring National Park. I went up there to check it out and ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

I have never been, but I have thought about going to check it out. There is a train that runs out of Chicago straight into the park. Is it not stunning? Is Yellowstone or Yosemite better? I have wanted to get to all three but everytime we go on vacation my wife and daughters want to go to a beach or island instead. Nothing wrong with that but I really have been wanting to check out these parks.

ZahZoo
03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Here's how they can turn it around...

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Opinion/F-Oblomov-France.po.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/60-house-bills-name-post-offices-zero-fix-144624099--abc-news-politics.html

MORONS

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I have never been, but I have thought about going to check it out. There is a train that runs out of Chicago straight into the park. Is it not stunning? Is Yellowstone or Yosemite better? I have wanted to get to all three but everytime we go on vacation my wife and daughters want to go to a beach or island instead. Nothing wrong with that but I really have been wanting to check out these parks.

The best time to see Yellowstone is in the fall. Less tourists and more animals are out. Yosemite is fabulous but very crowded. Still worth seeing.

What amazes me about Yellowston National Park is I have been going there my whole life. Everytime I go and it's just north of where I live, I discover something new. Last year I lucked out and got to see the grand gyser go off. It made Old Faithful look like nothing. What's cool about the gyser activity is it's eratic. Sometimes you go and nothing is errupting or doing anything other than Old Failthful and other times everythig is going all at once.