PDA

View Full Version : My Reaquisition

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I bought this guitar from my best friend for $350 back in '92.
I foolishly traded it for a '94 White Gibson SG (non pickgurd style with Kahler).
I've always kicked myself for that deal. I never really was too crazy about the SG, I never really grew on me. It was top heavy and was a bitch to keep in tune.
Upon hearing of my friends passing I contacted my buddy I did the trade with way back when. I told him of my friends fate and asked him if he'd sell it back to me. He was using the guitar as a backup to his LP. He said that we traded first first time around and he'd be down with trading again. I ended up trading him my modded white Epiphone LP Custom.

Anyway when he opened up the case it was like time travel. It took me back to when my best friend showed me it for the first time back in '81. He was the biggest VH/EVH freak I ever knew. He played Ed better than Ed. He def.took to this guitar for it's short scale length( he had small hands) and killer tone. Ended up having a Kahler style bridge installed (after I had advised him against doing so...).

Frets are still in good shape. Body's had some wear from extensive gigging.
It still has the original pickup in the neck position and the bridge PU was swapped out in the mid '80's with a (Tim Shaw designed) Gibson PAF.
So I take it down to the studio, change the strings (9-52) and crank 'er up through my rig.
The fucker SCREAMS!!!

It's my new #2 (nothing can top my LP) ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/My%20Guitars/Upright1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/My%20Guitars/Upright1back.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/My%20Guitars/Frontbodycrop.jpg

kwame k
03-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Awesome DJ :beers8:

One of the firsts bands I was in, the guitarist had one of those, same color, too.

Cranked through a Marshall in a cinder block basement, that fucker could tear the paint off the wall at twenty paces. My God did we play loud, my ears are ringing just thinking about that.

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Awesome DJ :beers8:

One of the firsts bands I was in, the guitarist had one of those, same color, too.

Cranked through a Marshall in a cinder block basement, that fucker could tear the paint off the wall at twenty paces. My God did we play loud, my ears are ringing just thinking about that.

Thanks bro.
You realize we only play that loud to hear ourselves over the goddamn drummer... :biggrin:

kwame k
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks bro.
You realize we only play that loud to hear ourselves over the goddamn drummer... :biggrin:

Yeah, I do....that's why I used 26" bass drums back in the day and over-sized toms. You bitches better of had wattage back then ;)

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I do....that's why I used 26" bass drums back in the day and over-sized toms. You bitches better of had wattage back then ;)

That's something us guitarist's learn very quick in the early days of jamming...
"Fuck, my 15 watt practice amp ain't cuttin it anymore!"
I still remember ploppin down a $50 deposit and draggin my first Marshall cab(wheelless) home on the bus after school all those years ago. To this day I've done practically every gig/recording with the fucker.
You've def. seen it around here. Ya know, it's the one GAR wanks to.... :lmao:

kwame k
03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
That's something us guitarist's learn very quick in the early days of jamming...
"Fuck, my 15 watt practice amp ain't cuttin it anymore!"
I still remember ploppin down a $50 deposit and draggin my first Marshall cab(wheelless) home on the bus after school all those years ago. To this day I've done practically every gig/recording with the fucker.
You've def. seen it around here. Ya know, it's the one GAR wanks to.... :lmao:

The little fella hasn't been around much, no wonder things here have been pleasant.

I still have my ride cymbal, wood snare and Tama Titian hardware from my first real kit.

I'm amazed that the cymbal and stands have endured for 25 years of constant gigging. The Tama stands are fucking monsters, though. Heavy as shit.

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
The little fella hasn't been around much, no wonder things here have been pleasant.

I think him and Lefty might be having a lovers quarrel. I heard she broke his nose..

I still have my ride cymbal, wood snare and Tama Titian hardware from my first real kit.

I'm amazed that the cymbal and stands have endured for 25 years of constant gigging. The Tama stands are fucking monsters, though. Heavy as shit.

Sounds like ya ain't hittin 'em hard enough.

More Moon, less Charlie Watts... ;)

(Kidding) :D

kwame k
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
It's just that fucking ride cymbal......an early 80's Zildjian. Every crash cymbal I've ever had has lasted maybe a year, less depending on how much I was touring/gigging.

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
No shit,eh...
I remember I went to a music store in Toronto way back in the early 80's and bought 25 ft. of Belden cable and put my own jacks on it. I used it for 15 years before it finally crapped out one me. I've yet to own one as reliable...

Nitro Express
03-05-2010, 11:13 PM

What eats my ears is the damn cymbals.

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 11:17 PM
No shit...

kwame k
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
mine too....you guys have that ringing in your ears, too?

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Got a gig tomorrow night. Gonna give 'r shit!

Nitro Express
03-05-2010, 11:23 PM

If everything was built as good as Tama drum kits the world would be a better place.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l80-fpDn5es&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l80-fpDn5es&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

kwame k
03-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Love Tama's hardware but Yamaha drums for me......

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Todd.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Picture014.jpg

Diamondjimi
03-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Looks like you're doing a dope deal... :biggrin:

jhale667
03-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Nice (re)score, DJ! :D

Coyote
03-07-2010, 03:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/My%20Guitars/Upright1.jpg

Nice flame... :smoke:

Igosplut
03-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Nice to be able to get something back that means something to you.

Reverberator
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Nice.

Diamondjimi
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks...

Well. I gig tested it last night. Held up great, stayed in tune superbly.
There's def. something to be said about Mahogany bodies :D

jhale667
03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Very cool to hear, DJ! :baaa:

Hardrock69
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I had a re-acquisition myself....my best friend had a red Fender Lead I that he bought in 1980. I bought one that same year, but years later lost it to a pawn shop.

One day in the late 1990s, I was at a pawn shop (not the same one) and I went to the guitar department. Lo and behold, there was the SAME guitar, in the midst of surgery...they said there was something wrong with the electronics. I HAD to have it.
I offered them 150 bucks for it as it was. The owner of the pawn shop was a fan of my guitar playing, and had seen me play a lot in the 80s.
He thought about it, and said he would let me have it for $175 plus tax, so I got it for $187.50.

I knew it was my friend's guitar, as right after he bought it, he had a Kahler Pro bridge system installed on it.

I eventually swapped out the original pickup. I was at a guitar show here in Gnashville in about 2001 or 2002, and a guy had a Strat pickguard loaded with an EMG humbucker in the bridge position, and 2 EMG single coils in the middle and neck positions for only $125. The humbucker had a push/pull volume pot to tap the coil. What a deal!

So I put the humbucker in the Lead I, and the two single coils in the Lead II I have.

Great axe, lotsa highs, and lotsa balls, and when I tap that coil, it gets a really mean and nasty Tele sound with a lotta snarl to it. And I can beat the shit out of the Kahler, and the Lead I will stay in perfect tune.

Here it is from the group photo earlier in this thread.

http://i47.tinypic.com/nvz5h3.jpg

Panamark
03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Thats my nuber #1 except I have a Kahler on it,
Black and White, japanese and 3 humbuckers.
Mid 80's model...

Seriously I could lose every posession I own,
if I lost this, it would hurt bigtime.

GAR
03-08-2010, 04:25 AM
First off let me say, it was cool to get an old well made axe back you regretted selling.

Second, with the sentimental aspect out of the way, it's hard to gauge the equitable value in it.

The Epi's are well made, but shit electronics, and awful neck and body woods.. I doubt they appreciate over time the way the Ibanezes of the 70s did.

The Ibanez's of the 80s were unlike the 70s-made ones in many ways: but were made far better than the Asian Epi pauls of today are.

If the Epi had stock pickups I would be inclined to say this was a fantastic up-trade for you, especially if you got a case with the Ibanez and did not give up a case for the Epi.

A lot of times, people feel better providing a case for a guitar they're selling, and although I did do that the one time for the buyer of that tobacco Epi I sold last year (the one I dug a handful of wax out of the pickups), the kid was like 15 and the case was a lightweight beater from a 60's Vox les paul copy... I almost always prefer to hold onto hardshell cases for my own crated stash.

Personally, I feel the factory goofed on aligning the flame veneers and carving the thing out for the Kahler might be a vintage-value killer, but as a player I like Kahlers and would probably modify it from a stud-mount trem to flat by pulling the studs and obtaining a flat model Kahler.

AND which Marshall cab was the one you dragged home from school on the shortbus with - don't tell me it was the painted white curbfind cab one your gardener dropped off last year?

GAR
03-08-2010, 04:33 AM
I had a re-acquisition myself....

NObody asked you.
SHIUOTT thefukup.
QUIT wrecking the threads with your reglorification of a 3rd-rate guitar you already dramatized us with.

Fender Leads SUCKED DICK and still do, it was born a parts guitar and will remain so till the end of time: not quite small enough to be born a Tele, to stupid in the ergonomics and cutaways dept. to be called a Strat.

Do not mention this tub-floater AGAIN.

jhale667
03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
NObody asked you.

Nor you. So STFU. :fufu: "Quit wrecking threads" - how about you practice what you preach for once?

Diamondjimi
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
First off let me say, blah blah blah sorry for leaking ass butter all over another thread, but blah blah blah...

No one cares about your opinion GArY.
You own nothing!
Seeing as you can't prove otherwise, this shall remain FACT! :Loser:

Hardrock69
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
NObody asked you.
SHIUOTT thefukup.
QUIT wrecking the threads with your reglorification of a 3rd-rate guitar you already dramatized us with.

Fender Leads SUCKED DICK and still do, it was born a parts guitar and will remain so till the end of time: not quite small enough to be born a Tele, to stupid in the ergonomics and cutaways dept. to be called a Strat.

Do not mention this tub-floater AGAIN.

FUCK YOU, FUCKING WORTHLESS COCKBREATH INBRED HOMO SHIT-FOR-BRAINS BASTARD IDIOT! :biggrin:

The Fender Lead series was the first production run of guitars that had a 4-bolt neck since the late 60s. MUCH SUPERIOR to all those shit 3-bolt neck Strats and other rubbish that would go out of tune just be (easily) moving the neck.

Once again you prove to the world what a fucking retard you are.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY, LOSER! :fufu:

Mushroom
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
good story with a happy ending. it's like an old glove or an old love.

Diamondjimi
03-08-2010, 01:23 PM
A guitar player that was in a band of mine in the mid 80's had a Lead I.
He installed a Kahler, swapped out the stock pu with a DiMarzio. The thing was a fuckin tank. A little heavy but that fucker sure could take a beating...

Igosplut
03-08-2010, 04:46 PM
FUCK YOU, FUCKING WORTHLESS COCKBREATH INBRED HOMO SHIT-FOR-BRAINS BASTARD IDIOT! :biggrin:

The Fender Lead series was the first production run of guitars that had a 4-bolt neck since the late 60s. MUCH SUPERIOR to all those shit 3-bolt neck Strats and other rubbish that would go out of tune just be (easily) moving the neck.

Once again you prove to the world what a fucking retard you are.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY, LOSER! :fufu:

Leave it to GARgle to to take a big runny dump in the newly found field of flowers somebody just reacquainted themselves with mediforically speaking .......

GAR
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
No one cares about your opinion GArY.
You own nothing!
Seeing as you can't prove otherwise, this shall remain FACT! :Loser:

Okay Flake, I said it was difficult to assess a value but it isn't impossible.

So let's equitize the trade here:

1. RocketRoll2 Ibanez Destroyer (1981 - 1983), rough ebay value stock condish $450 with case.

ADD
Tom Holmes Burstbucker lead pickup upgrade, $110
Kahler 2300 stud-mount tremolo, (value in 1983) $175
----------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $735

DETRACT

Off-angle veneer, indicative of poss. "second", - $100
Routed cavity for Kahler, orig. parts lost - $150
Original case gone - $80
Deadman sob-tory exploit /success (priceless) - $0
----------------------------------------------------
Total + $405

2. Gibson Epiphone Les Paul, Chinese Edition (2005-pres), rough GC value new, no case included (List $799 - as if..) $489

ADD - (I don't recall any said upgrades to POS) $0
DETRACT - Used, good to fine cond - $150
-----------------------------------------------------
Total + $339

Winner = Ibanez, by $66 bucks.

That's what I like to see! Jay could pick up alot from you.. the man hustled, he shot, he scored. You can't pull that kinda shit off the internet - one has to actually venture out into that (ehww) dangerous, cold-blooded world filled with assholes and crazy people out to get you in order to bring back the good scores and DumUndtGypsie here proves it can be done. By doing it.

meanwhile.. jay's preparing his next defense with another mouse-click while his enfatted naked flank shifts from one side to the other for inspiration while in another enraged and imbittered sweat of jealousy.

jhale667
03-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Fantasizing about me again, GAyR? :Loser:

:lmao:

GAR
03-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Yes. I dream of the day they demod you, so I can add to to the Ignore User list.

jhale667
03-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah, you keep mentioning that. Keep hope alive. Bitch. :Loser:

Hardrock69
03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Hope is always alive with Garfuckle. He is too stupid to realize when he has none.

Diamondjimi
03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Okay Flake, I said it was difficult to assess a value but it isn't impossible.

So let's equitize the trade here:.....

Listen, Shitstain. I don't give a fuck if it's worth a hundred bucks, it belonged to my best friend and it's sentimental value far outweighs a dollar value.
Of course you, being of the Costanza caliber, can probably count all your friends on one finger.

You fucking wish you owned a guitar like this. (or even an Epi. LP)

Let me reiterate, you own NOTHING!
So do us all a favour. Throw your worthless hump under the next bus! :Loser:

jhale667
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
That's pretty cool that you were able to get it back, great piece for the sentimental value alone...

Diamondjimi
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
True. Got real lucky. I tell ya, this fucker's got great tone. The (Tim Shaw) PAF is something else. ;)

Hardrock69
03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Of course you, being of the Costanza caliber, can probably count all your friends on one finger.

Uh, he has no friends. And that short-bus reject that blows him (Lefty) is more likely some kind of a parasite than a friend.

But, back on topic, that is a nice sunburst.

My main reason for posting my little story-tale was just to say "I understand where you're coming from".

Diamondjimi
03-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Cheers!

No guitars, no hair, no height,no friends is a sad way to go through life. :biggrin:

GAR
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Best thing you could do for that guitar is to get the top repaired and revert it back to stock hardtail configuration.

The way to do this, is to stick part of the body on a scanner and save the file for Kinko's to print out on a wax lazerprint.

Then you take it to a qualified luthier, who can fill in the missing portion with solid alder or ash, and then paste a portion of what you scanned that sorta matches the flame in the missing area.

You can even mis-match the sloppy off-angled "bookmatching" of the flame veneer by cutting the paper with scissors to the correct angle.

It will look a helluva lot better and the sustain it had will return. Plus, you can sell the Kahler for $100 and stick that sweet PAF in something decent. That guitar would be best off with a DiMarzio double-creme distiortion.

Good luck with your restoration, it's a labor of love that makes these things sing.. but like they say you cannot make a silk purse of a sow's ear.. it is what it is because of what it represents to you sentimentally

Diamondjimi
03-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Why do you insist on giving an opinion that wasn't asked for? Seriously!

Post pics. of your gear or fuck off!

Diamondjimi
03-10-2010, 12:22 AM

GAR
03-11-2010, 12:27 AM
I thought of another way you could restore that today!

What you do, is send it to that guy on lespaulforum that does the retopping of Pauls, and have him cut the top off with a mill for you, glue a solid block of wood in the Kahler rout, and reveneer it with the correct bookmatch angle.

BUT the binding would HAVE to come off first.

I could do this on my mill ... but I don't have time to fuck around with binding. And I do have a nice stock of flame veneer I have planned to do my explorer/star cutdown project, and a mahogany V body with.. I may have some leftovers..

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 12:35 AM

http://bottomup.co.nz/up-arrow.gif

GAR
03-11-2010, 01:00 AM
OK since you obviously do not trust me, let's do this then:

You: place the guitar on a plain sheet of paper.. usually I take a large white KFC takeout sack, and slit it to make a flat poster-sized template. Just trace around the edges.

Then: mail the template to Jay, who lives within driving distance of my parole officer's unit downtown. He could drop it off to Frank for me there on the 15th when he drops off his biweekly CA-7 welfare claim form on his next downtown visit.

Frank: will hold it for me until I go pay my monthly visit to him. Where he will hold my cock for the ensuing piss quiz ensuring that I am still clean of drugs.

Then: Before I leave, Frank will hand the pencil etching of your guitar's outline, and I will scrape some of the barnacles off my hull with it before it gets flushed to the Pacific Ocean.

So you seen the Interdnet is your friend, even when you distrust others unreasonably.. so let's work together on this and it will come out alright in the end, from my rear end to the deep end.

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Humour?

jhale667
03-11-2010, 01:12 AM
What the fuck is a CA-7? Sounds like you're the one who's intimately familiar with the California Welfare system there, GARfail...:lmao:

Probation Officer? No wonder you can only get gigs that you can be replaced by migrant workers at... :Loser:

Hardrock69
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Unlike Garfuckle and his delusional ravings, the best thing you could do for that guitar is to play it, and be glad you have it.

END OF FUCKING STORY.

GET THE PICTURE GARFUCKLE? FUCKING PATHOLOGICAL LOSER!
:fufu:
:tongue0011:

Go do to that Lefty fucktard what you do best:

:blow:

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
:lmao:

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 05:56 PM
What the fuck is a CA-7? Sounds like you're the one who's intimately familiar with the California Welfare system there, GARfail...:lmao:

Probation Officer? No wonder you can only get gigs that you can be replaced by migrant workers at... :Loser:

GAR figures that because he's on the welfare everyone else is too... :Loser: