PDA

View Full Version : Another Democratic Scandal

BigBadBrian
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Massa resigns; Democrats' ethical lapses could threaten hold on power

By Perry Bacon Jr.
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 6, 2010

Congressional Democrats reclaimed control of Congress in 2006 by pledging to "drain the swamp" after Republican ethics scandals rocked Capitol Hill. Now, a series of controversies involving Democratic members has robbed the party of its claim to hold the higher moral ground -- and could threaten its hold on power in this fall's elections.

The announcement Friday by Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) that he will resign amid allegations that he sexually harassed a male staffer capped a week of near-daily ethical distractions for a party struggling to pass heath-care reform legislation.

A few days earlier, congressional Democrats forced Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) to step down temporarily from the chairmanship of the House Ways and Means Committee. The House ethics committee had admonished Rangel for accepting corporate-sponsored trips, and he remains under investigation for other alleged violations. Rep. Peter J. Visclosky (D-Ind.) is under investigation by the Justice Department in a lobbying case.

The controversies have increased Republican attacks on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), who pledged in 2006 that Democrats would run "the most ethical Congress in history."

While not yet as severe, the Democrats' ethics controversies resemble those of the Republicans when they held the majority in 2006. Connections to disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff led to resignations and even prison; House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (Tex.) resigned his post amid investigations of his staff, and Rep. Mark Foley (Fla.) resigned after sending sexually suggestive Internet messages to congressional pages. Exit polls showed that those ethics controversies played a role in the GOP losing control of Congress.

"Ethics really matter to voters; they matter almost more than any other issue," said Melanie Sloane, head of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a nonpartisan group. "And you would think that both parties would know that, because Democrats lost in 1994 and Republicans lost in 2006 because of it."

Massa said he would step down from his Upstate New York seat on Monday in part to stop an ethics investigation that he said would "would tear my family and my staff apart." He had previously said he would step down at the end of the year for health reasons after a recurrence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

"There is no doubt in my mind that I did in fact, use language in the privacy of my own home and in my inner office that, after 24 years in the Navy, might make a Chief Petty Officer feel uncomfortable," Massa said in a statement Friday on his Web site. "In fact, there is no doubt that this Ethics issue is my fault and mine alone."

"It's not that I can fight or beat these allegations, I'm guilty," Massa told his Washington and campaign staff in a separate statement, which was reported by his hometown newspaper, the Corning Leader.

Congressional Republicans, while not highlighting Massa's situation, said the controversies surrounding Democrats proved the party had done little to change the culture of Washington.

"Nancy Pelosi's 'most ethical Congress in history' has been reduced to a punch line. Democrats are treading water in the very swamp they promised to drain," said Ken Spain, a spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, the campaign arm of House Republicans.

Pelosi defended Democrats, noting that the party had established an outside committee to investigate allegations against lawmakers. The complaints are then forwarded to the formal ethics committee, which is composed of House members. "I think we have come a long way since I became speaker," she said Thursday.

But the controversies could further complicate Democrats' efforts to keep their majority in a year in which polls show broad dissatisfaction with Congress. Massa's seat could be tough for the Democrats to hold: Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) won the district in the 2008 presidential election.

Republicans have had their own controversies during this Congress, including that of Sen. John Ensign (Nev.), who stepped down from a Senate GOP leadership position in July after admitting an affair with a former campaign staff member. He faces a congressional investigation over his role in finding the husband of his mistress a job.

Even as they revel in the Democrats' problems, Republicans acknowledge that Democrats still have time to recover. The Foley scandal emerged in late September 2006, leaving no time for damage control before that year's elections.

"It's like watching the Democratic Party getting a root canal and remembering your own dental surgery," said Ron Bonjean, who was communications director to J. House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) during the 2006 Republican controversies. "What you're seeing is very much like 2006. The biggest difference is we are six months out rather than 30 days."

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/05/AR2010030504434.html?hpid=topnews)

sadaist
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
I saw a guy on Fox news last night. First they showed a board with 6 Democrats with recent scandals, then showed a board with 6 Republicans with similar type scandals. The contributor said this isn't a Dem or Repub problem......it's a Washington problem.

And there it is right there.

Although it would make my posting here a lot more fun if the Republicans would keep their noses clean and only Democrats pulled this shit. Maybe we can keep a scoreboard up? Dems 7 - Repubs 6. Low score wins at the end of the season.

We could also do a version of the celebrity death pool. But with politicians and scandals.

kwame k
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Why not do it as a fantasy league? We pick "our team" based on who we think will get busted and at the end of the season (congress' break) whoever has picked the most winners, wins.

LoungeMachine
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Double points awarded for "family values" anti-gay marriage guys who get caught with male prostitutes, okay?

:gulp:

sadaist
03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Dang, this guy has been going off today. Hard core.

GAR
03-09-2010, 02:40 AM
If you guys can't see this as another blatant "buy-out" of conservative Democratic opposition, you're blind.

This was one less Nay vote on the Health Insurance Bill; and now it's gone. If Massa was a true Patriot he would have hung in till after the big vote, or switched parties in a big Fuck You move.

Once resigned you got no power to do anything but talk shows and public speaking events.

GAR
03-09-2010, 02:40 AM
I wanna know how much they paid him to retire earlier.. 3 mil? 4?

sadaist
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I wanna know how much they paid him to retire earlier.. 3 mil? 4?

They obviously didn't pay him enough to shut him up. He has been saying some pretty raunchy (and hilarious) stuff about Rahm Emanuel. What I don't get is why he resigned. What he did, the vulgar language, was hardly anything to resign over. It makes me wonder if someone else has some really good dirt on him.

hambon4lif
03-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Could someone explain to me how "tickling a guy 'til he couldn't breathe and 5 guys jumping on top of me on my 50th birthday" is NOT a homosexual act???

After a statement like that, it wouldn't phase me if he followed that with a story of how he "blew them all off".

FORD
03-12-2010, 02:39 AM
I can honestly say that I don't have a fucking clue what the deal is with Massa. I never even heard of the SOB until last week.

Is he gay? Don't know, don't care, but all these stories about naked showers and tickling, and 5 guys jumping on him certainly sound like something Larry Craig might have done in an airport bathroom.

Is he a "conservative Democrat" as GAyR suggests? Well, if he was, then Rahm Emanuel would love him. That angry fucking dwarf only hates Liberals. Calls us "fucking retarded", in fact.

He was planning to vote against the current incarnation of the "health care" bill, but it's my understanding that his objections came "from the Left". I doubt he's exactly in Dennis Kucinich's league, but there are plenty of Liberal reasons to oppose this shit. (Corporate mandates being the most obvious of them)

Who fucking knows.... but his absence has left Nancy Pelosi with one less vote to worry about. Convenient timing, eh?

Nitro Express
03-12-2010, 03:45 AM
If God doesn't destroy Washington DC he owes Sodom and Gamorra and apology.

Nitro Express
03-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Larry Craig obviously was set up. Someone knew his dirty little secret and baited him to get caught. Why would the city of Minneapolis pay a police officer to sit in the men's restroom all day looking for homosexual hookups? Why would they care? It's too obvious, Craig wasn't towing the line, so they set him up to destroy his political career.