PDA

View Full Version : Hello Yakima!

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Yakima is not great. Discuss. :)

http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/questionindex?qid=20070715124859AArLGwj

Yakima, WA?

I may have a chance to move to Yakima, WA with my company. Does anyone know what its like? Is it safe? I have kids is it a decent place to raise them? Please help

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

I agree with the people above me; do NOT move to Yakima unless you absolutley have to. You have to have a certain lifestyle to enjoy living there, and you have to know how to entertain yourself. It's not the safest place in the world (although there are loads worse places), and some parts of town have gangs that hang around in them. There's not a whole lot of diversity, and the weather is much more extreme than in Western Washington--frigidly cold winters with loads of snow, and very hot and dry summers, often with temperatures going above 100 degrees.

Yakima's main business is fruit--apple, pear, cherries, etc. When you drive into the town, all you see is a bunch of orchards for a while, which can either be beautiful or boring, depending on how you look at it.

I don't think your kids would want to move to Yakima, honestly, because there is not much to do there. Oh, there's a skate park, and a mall, but nothing special. Eastern Washington has a lot of beautiful scenery by the Yakima River, but it is a very dry part of the state often plagued by drought. I'm not sure about the schools, either.

If it were up to me, I'd stay where you are, unless you absolutely loathe it.

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Another poster answers... :)

Katelin Katelin

The schools in Yakima are also very bad, especially A.C. Davis High School. The overall atmosphere is horrible. The kids are disrespectful, the teachers are lazy. It is a most unpleasant place to be brought up in.

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 06:48 AM
I think we have been too kind about this place... :)

userafw by userafw

Yakima is basically a smallish farming town. Crime as always, depends on the area of town you live in. There isn't much to do for tourist attractions (except fruit stands) except maybe drive to the mountains (3 hr drive). Bring your video games and console, but don't be surprised if you become video game addict.

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm starting to feel sorry for Blackflag... :)

YouCannotKnowUnlessUAsk

It's a gang infested farm town. It's not at all safe. There's pollution galore and it's in a dust bowl. If you're kids have asthma, they will have to stay indoors on some days. There is absolutely NOTHING to do there for kids. They'll be begging you to drive them to Seattle (a three hour drive at least) every weekend. DO NOT MOVE THERE!

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Haha :)

bebop

Do not move to Yakima unless you have to. Your children would hate growing up there.
There is nothing for young people to do except get in trouble.
Nothing for adults to do either.

annie78

Not sure where you are now, but I would never choose to live in Yakima. Boring, and only trouble for kids. Definately stay away from Nob Hill!

ZahZoo
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I'd figure if Sesh moved to Yakima it would instantly become a much more interesting place...

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Well I would keep away from Nob Hill. :D

Igosplut
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Is that where Black Flag lives?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM

seems like nob hill has a bad rep all over...

MADISON, Wis. -- A 27-year-old man is dead after a shooting early Monday morning on the city's south side.
Officers were called to the 1100 block of Moorland Road just after 2:30 a.m. on Monday for a report of shots being fired. The shooting happened at Nob Hill Apartments. Officers said that they found the man with a gunshot wound.
He was pronounced dead at a local hospital after 4 a.m.
Madison police said that this isn't a random crime and they don't believe it is linked to any other homicide or shooting.
Authorities said that an investigation is ongoing and they are talking to a number of people, although there isn't yet a suspect. They are asking anyone with information to call Crimestoppers at 608-266-6014.
This is the city's first homicide in 2010.
Stay tuned to WISC-TV and Channel 3000 for continuing coverage.

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
How dare you look down your nose at Yakima. It's a great place to be.

You don't know me! You don't know me!!

(The joke seems to be lost on somebody who can't pick it out on a map.)

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM

stop eatin' all the beer flavored doritos.;)

YouTube - Doritos Beer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSRShnbiHYo)

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM

i picked my nose on a map and still don't get it.:hee:

Hardrock69
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
The largest business in Yakima is a US Army installation. It is a firing range for artillery and stuff. I used to haul artillery shells, weapons, and grunts up there in a deuce-and-a-half from Ft. Lewis in the late 70s. Me and my friends would gas up when we were done, stop at a rest area by the Interstate on the way back, smoke some killer pot, and then have a race back to Ft. Lewis.

Those were good times.

I always thought Yakima looked like a shit-hole of a town though.

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Did you ever take a trip up Nob Hill? :)

Mushroom
03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
It's great to know some guy from Scotland knows more about Yakima than I do. Sesh were you interested in relocating to Yakima?

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 02:12 PM
It's great to know some guy from Scotland knows more about Yakima than I do. Sesh were you interested in relocating to Yakima?

He seems to know more about it than I do. :biggrin:

If someone went from Scotland to Yakima, would they even know they moved?

Seshmeister
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Yahoo says not to. :)

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 02:16 PM
He seems to know more about it than I do. :biggrin:

If some went from Scotland to Yakima, would they even know they moved?

some people? yes. some ants in a farm? probably not.;)

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
What do you have against ants? Siafu is one bad mutha.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
adam-ant.net The Official Adam Ant website (http://www.adam-ant.net/)

this ant is not:hee:

Diamondjimi
03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I always thought Yakima looked like a shit-hole of a town though.

You're probably right...

FORD
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I happened to be in Yakima back in the 80's when the movie "Red Dawn" came out. It was the perfect place to see a movie like that, because when ever the "Wolverines" blew up some Commies there were rednecks screaming "YEEEEEEHAAAAAW" throughout the entire cinema. Probably would have been the same for the Rambo films, or any of the other Reagan-era war flicks of the time.

Of course there's also the legendary gang robbery in which one Mexican gang member happened upon a rival gang and they noticed he had a Rolex watch on. The rivals demanded he hand it over. When he refused to do so, they took it.... with a chainsaw!:chainsaw:

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Yakima is a dump.

The only people who live there are:

Those who own land that hire migrant workers

Migrant workers

People too stupid to move

People too poor to move

People who serve migrant workers and the poor fries and cheeseburgers

Which of the above population segment does Black Flag belong to? who gives a shit.

But I'll be damned if I know ANYBODY personally who could stand to spend more than 15 minutes in that god-forsaken shit hole town, let alone LIVE there.

If you want to know what Black Flag does for entertainment and cultural enlightenment, just check his movie "reviews" 'cause that's about ALL there is to do in there.

:gulp:

FORD
03-08-2010, 04:17 PM
People who serve migrant workers and the poor fries and cheeseburgers

Yeah, but those are some damn good burgers at that joint down on the south end of 1st street. I'm drawing a complete brain fart when it comes to the name of the place. Killer burgers though. Great milkshakes too - real ice cream and all that, not the horrible softserve mix shit which turns to chocolate flavored glue in a desert climate (learned that lesson from a Burger King in Tucson when I was 13 :barf: )

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Which of the above population segment does Black Flag belong to? who gives a shit.

Apparently, you care a lot. You came all the way to this thread just to talk about me. :hee:

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but those are some damn good burgers at that joint down on the south end of 1st street. I'm drawing a complete brain fart when it comes to the name of the place. Killer burgers though. Great milkshakes too - real ice cream and all that,

I fucking LOVE that place.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I fucking LOVE that place.

discuss:)

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Apparently, you care a lot. You came all the way to this thread just to talk about me. :hee:

:lmao:

Wow, had to come all the way over to the thread....

So why are you stuck in Yakima? Was it a condition of your release that you remain in the county?

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
So why are you stuck in Yakima? Was it a condition of your release that you remain in the county?

I don't know, Kip...I guess I'm just not cool enough to live amongst the paragons of society in (fill in the name of your town here). You know, failed hair band members, unemployed people, people who play on the internet all day...

I have to live among migrant farmers and people who make hamburgers. People that you look down your nose at and aren't worth your fucking time - because you're such an enormous success story.

C'est la vie.

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Yakima Crime Statistics (WA) - CityRating.com (http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Yakima&state=WA)

Worst Cities for Jobs - Careers Articles (http://jobs.aol.com/articles/photos/worst-cities-for-jobs/1538152/)

Moscow-Pullman Daily News - Google News Archive Search (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2026&dat=20080908&id=FNwyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U_AFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3441,894480)

The influence of gangs | Yakima Herald-Republic Online (http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2009/01/02/the-influence-of-gangs)

Sports? forget it.

Concerts? LMMFAO

Event Search | Pollstar - The Concert Hotwire (http://www.pollstar.com/eventSearch.aspx?SearchBy=yakima)

Nightlife in Yakima consists of rednecks trading sisters.....

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't know, Kip...I guess I'm just not cool enough to live amongst the paragons of society in (fill in the name of your town here). You know, failed hair band members, unemployed people, people who play on the internet all day...

I have to live among migrant farmers and people who make hamburgers. People that you look down your nose at and aren't worth your fucking time - because you're such an enormous success story.

C'est la vie.

By comparison, absolutely.

I've chosen to live in Seattle, Scottsdale, and Costa Mesa in my lifetime.

My point is YOU look down upon, and thumb your nose at most if not all people here, yet they all at least can afford to live in cities that offer rich music, sports, and cultural amenities.

YOU on the other hand live in one of the most backwater shitholes in the western US.

I can "play" on the internets as much as I want, because I have a great job that is very, very flexible, and own a small company that affords me such freedoms.

I actually attended a couple of great shows this weekend, both of which wouldn't come within 50 miles of your dump.

You really should get a check on your projection though.... it's painfully obvious.

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I have to live among migrant farmers and people who make hamburgers.

Sad.

Should have worked harder, maybe you could have moved to somewhere nice.

Ever consider community college?

http://www.yvcc.edu/Pages/default.aspx

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:13 PM
By comparison, absolutely.

I've chosen to live in Seattle, Scottsdale, and Costa Mesa in my lifetime.

:appl: I think I read somewhere that living is Scottsdale is the definition of success.

YOU on the other hand live in one of the most backwater shitholes in the western US.

And you know I don't live there, nor have ever been there...yet you want desperately for it to be true. Don't you? :hee:

I can "play" on the internets as much as I want, because I have a great job that is very, very flexible, and own a small company that affords me such freedoms.

You mean the job where you won't tell anybody what you do? I'm sure it's crazy impressive, employee. :hee: Just like living in Seattle is!

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Sad.

Should have worked harder, maybe you could have moved to somewhere nice.

Ever consider community college?

YVCC Home (http://www.yvcc.edu/Pages/default.aspx)

Now looking down your nose at community college students? Impressive!

Tell us, have you ever graduated from any college, community or not? :hee:

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I actually attended a couple of great shows this weekend, both of which wouldn't come within 50 miles of your dump.

we saw these guys this weekend, One Kitty Gone - Blooze Bar - Sep 24th, 2009 (http://www.onekittygone.com/). One Kitty Gone on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/onekittygone)

cj was the bass player, it was his last gig. we've known him since he was "kneehigh to a grasshopper"

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:16 PM
:

You mean the job where you won't tell anybody what you do? !

Many, many people here know my company and what I do, Yakima.

Just not you.

There are people who have been here for years I trust.

But not you.

That really, really bothers you, I know.

You badly want to know what I do, and hope that you stack up career-wise.

Try arguing with facts now, Champ. :D

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Now looking down your nose at community college students? Impressive!

Tell us, have you ever graduated from any college, community or not? :hee:

How was I "looking down" on cc's?

All I was doing was pointing out that maybe it was a viable option for you.

But then again, it may be out of your budget.

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:17 PM
career-wise.

Now, come on Kip...would you really call your new job a "career?"

There's nothing to be embarrassed about by telling us what you do. We won't laugh. :hee:

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
How was I "looking down" on cc's?

All I was doing was pointing out that maybe it was a viable option for you.

But then again, it may be out of your budget.

It's a viable option for you, too. You're never too old to start.

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Now, come on Kip...would you really call your new job a "career?"

There's nothing to be embarrassed about by telling us what you do. We won't laugh. :hee:

project much?

I'm still trying to imagine what the BEST job in Yakima could be......

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
project much?

You already know what I do, because you've made fun of it before.

Yet, again, you want desperately to believe it's not true and I'm really as sorry as you are. Isn't that interesting? Or just funny? :hee:

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/8dccb641742e57a8

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:33 PM
You already know what I do, because you've made fun of it before.

Yet, again, you want desperately to believe it's not true and I'm really as sorry as you are. Isn't that interesting? Or just funny? :hee:

I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

I dont know/care what you do.

I made "fun of it" really?

Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else, Sparky.

See, the funny thing is here is I have no urge to prove anything to you, because I know many of the people who laugh at you on here know me off the boards.

But for some reason it's killing you to know what I do, and you can't help but try and goad me into giving you info. :D

priceless.

I wonder if I wind you up some more you'll go off the rails again and ask the webbies to ban you [again]

We still laugh about that one....

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else, Sparky.

It's entirely possible. You're just another douchebag and I'm not obsessed with where you live, like you are with me. I don't also have to run to every thread about you to throw in my two cents. :hee:

Sorry, Kip. The relationship is not reciprocated. :(

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
It's entirely possible. You're just another douchebag and I'm not obsessed with where you live, like you are with me. I don't also have to run to every thread about you to throw in my two cents. :hee:

Sorry, Kip. The relationship is not reciprocated. :(

I'm not "obsessed" with where you live, Skippy, just shocked.

Was this thread about you? Thought it was about Yakima?

And yes, I'm just another douchebag here like the rest of us who laugh at you, marvel at your hypocrisy, and snicker at your constant projections.

Many of us have VOLUNTARILY taken a hiatus from the board [my last was a couple of months] but so far YOU are the only one incapable of doing so of your own free will....YOU HAD TO ASK TO BE BANNED.

We're here to have a few laughs, I think you're here to find a way to make yourself feel better about where you are in life.

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
We're here to have a few laughs, I think you're here to find a way to make yourself feel better about where you are in life.

Now who's projecting?

Do you see me saying where I live is better than everybody else's? See me saying my job is better than others'? See me telling you to go to "community college?" Now take a look in the mirror, Kip. :hee:

Tell me you're not projecting your inadequacies in life onto people on this board - with great vitriol. You need to prove that you're better than Ace Diamond, and you do so at every opportunity you get. You need to remind everybody you live in Seattle. Do I?

In all honesty, I'm just here to give movie reviews. :)

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
. You need to prove that you're better than Ace Diamond,

Nobody needs to prove they're better than that trainwreck.

I assume you're better than the fat, blind, albino homeless HIV+ tone deaf satan worshipping eunuch.

Funny how you have to pull out the laughingstock troll of all trolls here, when YOU on the other hand call out many regular long-time posters here trying to convince the board you're better than all of them....

As for your movie "reviews".... in a word? weak.

But then if you enjoy writing them, that's all that counts, right Scout? :D

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Yawn.

Pete's brother likes my reviews. A lot.

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Yawn.

yep.

Describes you, Yakima, your movie reviews, and your life [obviously]

Can we get back to the thread topic now?

Why does anyone choose to live in Yakima, and what do you do for social interaction when you're not here or at the movies?

Better yet, tell us all about the thriving live music scene [since this IS a music site] where you live, and your contribution to said scene.....

I for one love many of the live music venues in Seattle, and catch many great shows. Some I'm paid to see, some I go to for the sheer joy of seeing live music.

I cannot imagine living in a town that doesnt have a rich music community close at hand.

YOU have The Gorge during the summer, but for the threat of the year you're a fucking musical wasteland, I'm afraid.

Ever make it to a concert or festival? Or is it all movies and D&D for you?

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Why does anyone choose to live in Yakima,

You know, Kip...not having lived there, I can't really say. But I'll venture a guess that they just need the motherfucking work and can't afford to move. They're migrant workers, not exactly the jet set.

Is that good enough for you? Or should we just gas the place because migrant farmers are like cockroaches to you?

Fucking dumbass.

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Gotta love the troll..........

They yawn, but can't help but respond every time

Never lived there? really? Not there right now?

LoungeMachine
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Is that good enough for you? Or should we just gas the place because migrant farmers are like cockroaches to you?

Fucking dumbass.

You're the dumbass, Sparky.

You claim I thumb my nose at comm. colleges, when you can't point to a single post where I have....

You claim migrant workers are "cockroaches" to me, when I never intimated any such thing.....

I simply pointed out those of you who "live" in Yakima do so for certain reasons.....

It's your own self importance on this site that cracks me up and leads me to conclude you're a projecting hypocrite with low self esteem issues..... :D

Yawn some more, this is fun....

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Yawn.

Pete's brother likes my reviews. A lot.

it's true, they are very quick to read. i have this attention span deficit problem thing.

FORD
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
project much?

Probably the guy that owns the tortilla factory, especially if he's using a traditional Mexican recipe.

Large Mexican population? check.

Hard working migrant farm workers who don't want to fuck around with making their own tortillas when they get off work? check.

Pick up a few pallets of MexiCoke at the local Costco and sell it for $1.50 a bottle along with the tortillas - easy money.

If it wasn't for the "living in Yakima" part, I'd go into business and do that myself.

Dan
03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Where The Fuck Is Yakima?

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Good question. I think it's a suburb of "Seattle."

Dan
03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Sam Kinison, actor/comedian. RIP.

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Was he from Yakima?

Dan
03-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Yes He Was.

Born December 8, 1953(1953-12-08)
Yakima, Washington, U.S.

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 11:35 PM
That guy was hilarious as hell.

I think Mitch Hedberg was from Yakima, too. There must be something in the water.

Dan
03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I Will Check.:D

Dan
03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
No,Born February 24, 1968(1968-02-24)
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.

But Moved in 1991 to Seattle.

Blackflag
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Minnesota blows.

PETE'S BROTHER