PDA

View Full Version : Bign Brother is alive and well in the UK

BigBadBrian
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Crackdown on dangerous dogs to make microchips compulsory for all

All dogs are to be compulsorily microchipped so that their owners can be more easily traced under a crackdown on dangerous dogs to be unveiled today.

The package will include extending the dangerous dogs law to cover attacks by dogs on private property to protect postmen, and making third-party insurance compulsory so that victims can be financially compensated.

The measures will be set out by the home secretary, Alan Johnson, who will point to rising public concern that "status dogs" are being used by some irresponsible owners to intimidate communities or as a weapon by gangs.

The RSPCA says the number of complaints about dog fights has risen 12-fold between 2004 and 2008. In London alone, police seized 900 dangerous dogs in the last year.

Johnson is expected to give details of the package in a speech on crime and antisocial behaviour.

"Britain is a nation of animal lovers, but people have a fundamental right to feel safe on the streets and in their homes," he said.

"The vast majority of dog owners are responsible, but there is no doubt that some people breed and keep dogs for the sole purpose of intimidating others, in a sense using dogs as a weapon."

He said ministers were determined to stamp this out. The crackdown has been endorsed by the environment secretary, Hilary Benn.

The package is expected to also include proposals to give police and councils more powers to tackle the problems of dangerous dogs by introducing dog control notices; consider removing exemption rules that allow some people to keep banned types of dogs; and introduce compulsory third-party insurance so victims of dog attacks are financially compensated.

Jon Dennis discusses the plan with dog owners on Wandsworth Common, south London Link to this audio Under the scheme a microchip the size of a grain of rice is injected under the skin of the dog between its shoulder blades. The chip contains a unique code number, the dog's name, age, breed and health as well as the owner's name, address and phone number. When the chip is "read" by a handheld scanner the code number is revealed and the details can be checked on a national database.

Many dog owners already microchip their dogs with the details logged on the national PetLog database. Vets, dog wardens and RSPCA branches offer the service at a cost of £10 to £35.

The practice appeals especially to those who take their dogs abroad. If the scheme were made compulsory owners would face a fine for failing to microchip their dogs. It is not known how the scheme will be phased in but it is assumed a "puppies first" approach will be adopted.

Four types of dog are banned under the dangerous dogs legislation, including pit bull terriers and Japanese tosas.

The ban means it is illegal to breed or keep one of these breeds unless a court places the animal on the exempted dog index and it is neutered, tattooed, microchipped, muzzled and kept on a lead in public.

Much of the legal framework stems from the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act, which used to be held up as an example of the poor quality of legislation passed by MPs in haste but has actually proved a resilient and useful law over the past 19 years.

The Home Office said yesterday: "While this legislation is an essential tool in tackling antisocial behaviour, the government wants to look at it again to ensure it is working as it should and enables the police, local authorities and the RSPCA to take swift action to protect the public and stop abuse."

A Home Office grant of £20,000 is to be spent this year helping police forces train dedicated dog legislation officers to deal with dangerous dogs.

A leaked Whitehall discussion document on dog control legislation suggested that competence tests for dog owners would also be included. This sparked a storm of protest on the blogosphere among dog lovers and does not appear to have been included in the final version.

Benn said: "There is a lot of public concern about dog attacks, including the recent tragic deaths of young children, and about the rise in the number of so-called 'status dogs' used to intimidate or threaten people. This is a serious issue of public safety.

"The government wants to hear what people think about the law as it stands and what more we might do to protect people from dangerous dogs."

Billy Hayes, general secretary of the CWU, which represents postal workers, said: "This is a long-overdue, but extremely welcome step.

"We've been calling for changes to the law for several years now following some terrible dog attacks on postal workers."
Link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/09/dangerous-dogs-microchips-insurance)

BigBadBrian
03-09-2010, 10:27 AM
When will microchips in humans be compulsory in the UK?

http://th01.deviantart.com/fs10/300W/i/2006/088/7/9/V_for_Vendetta_by_kilroyart.jpg

binnie
03-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Not really anything to do with 'Big Brother' - most serious dog breeders have their pets (property?) chipped anyway to prevent against theft.

This legislation is to try and clamp down on people who breed dogs for fighting or use them in gang related activity - we have a problem with gangs patrolling the streets with vicious dogs and using them for protection and/or intimidation.

The legislation won't work - anyone who breeds dogs that already illegal is unlikely to have them microchipped. It's a token gesture.

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Big Brother my ass.

Big Brother is when your politicians are so owned by big business you have to go bankrupt because your kid gets leukemia.

LoungeMachine
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Bign Brother ?

:lmao:

thome
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
This is all just a softening of peoples attitudes towards the chipping of every newborn human.

As soon as people get used to chipping thier dogs and the harmlessness of it there will be a "Amber" stolen and murdered,( hopefull will never happen again but we all know better sadly) and some mother will become outraged, as she should be, and there will be legislation for "The Safety" of our children.

I am waiting until the technology exists to have the USB port implanted in my neck...then there won't be anymore,,, dumb thome this or that!!!! I will be able splel check by jacking off, load jack ,that................ lojak!!!

I'l be smart then, make BIG smarts!!, and people will dig me, and by me drinks, and I will be with, chicks and stuff!!!

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
What have dogs got to do with our expectations of humans?

We're used to dogs shitting in the streets but most of us don't live in Yakima...

kwame k
03-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Big brother....if you're so worried about big brother don't have a call phone.

Searching for ways to monitor your teen's text messages, track employee cell phone usage, or how to spy on a cheating spouse?

There is a lot of spy phone software on the market today. In just a few short years, cell phone spyware can now be purchased for BlackBerry, iPhones, Nokia, Windows Mobile, and even the new Android cell phones.

Flexispy, Mobile Spy, & Neo Call are the current market leaders used by thousands to catch their cheating spouse, monitor employees & teens, but which spy phone software should you buy?

Link (http://www.squidoo.com/spyphone_flexispy)

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Don't use a cell phone, the internet, a credit/debit card, a loyalty card or cable TV.

Or alternatively lighten up. :)

LoungeMachine
03-09-2010, 02:39 PM
What have dogs got to do with our expectations of humans?

We're used to dogs shitting in the streets but most of us don't live in Yakima...

:lmao:

The Republicans are always talking about people marrying dogs too.....

:gulp:

I'd rather not know Brie's reasoning here.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Don't use a cell phone, the internet, a credit/debit card, a loyalty card or cable TV.

basically hide from electronics:) tho i still do not own a cell phone.

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
It's a choice.

My reason would be to get peace not worries about Big Brother but if you want that you can just forget to take it with you.

Cell phones are spectacularly useful which is why the uptake has been so huge. It's easy to forget for example all the nights out where someone went to the wrong bar, or was late so you couldn't move on or got lost or whatever.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
that is indeed my reasoning. they are very much like a leash/tracking device for some people. the wife has one and it is convenient for emergencies, etc. no big brother complex involved.

kwame k
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

...or in Gar's case, the library ;)

Data mining is the fastest growing thing, as far as tracking your daily habits.

Ever notice on Yahoo that the ads are specific to whatever part of the country you are from. If you have a Yahoo email account and are signed in it'll give you adverts from, in my case Colorado Springs.

They know exactly what you do daily and anyone wanting to track you, would be child's play.

The big question is.....do you think you're so special that the government would waste the time looking into your life? It's not the government I'm worried about it's the advertising companies that buy and sell your information. It's fucking annoying.

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
that is indeed my reasoning. they are very much like a leash/tracking device for some people. the wife has one and it is convenient for emergencies, etc. no big brother complex involved.

It's kids I feel sorry for.

I hear people calling their kids. Where are you? Who is there? When are you coming home? Who with?

I spent most of my teenage years saying 'Sorry I didn't realise the time' and 'There were no payphones there'. :)

But the kids all love their phones anyhoo for different reasons.

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
...or in Gar's case, the library ;)

Data mining is the fastest growing thing, as far as tracking your daily habits.

Ever notice on Yahoo that the ads are specific to whatever part of the country you are from. If you have a Yahoo email account and are signed in it'll give you adverts from, in my case Colorado Springs.

They know exactly what you do daily and anyone wanting to track you, would be child's play.

The big question is.....do you think you're so special that the government would waste the time looking into your life? It's not the government I'm worried about it's the advertising companies that buy and sell your information. It's fucking annoying.

Yeah there are a lot of battles about that at the moment. It may be you end up having to choose a more expensive ISP to avoid being snooped by advertisers.

I don't use store loyalty cards for the same reason.

It's funny that BBB is worried about 'the government' scanning his dog when all this is going on. :)

chefcraig
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
basically hide from electronics:) tho i still do not own a cell phone.

You'll need to stay away from money as well, at least according to the foil-hat brigade. Those plastic strips embedded in bills are not anti-counterfeiting measures, they are really a tracking device. This way, the government can tell how much money you have on you when you walk through a scanner of some sort. So in response, people started microwaving their money.

I'm not kidding. Here's the story, from SNOPES (http://www.snopes.com/business/money/strip.asp). It's amazing the crap some people come up with.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I spent most of my teenage years saying 'Sorry I didn't realise the time' and 'There were no payphones there'. :)

i still get to use those excuses:biggrin:

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
It's actually government we need to protect us from this shit not government that is problem.

Say you are a woman who goes for a management position and they hire a company to get your loyalty card details which show you are buying folic acid. They could infer you are thinking about getting pregnant soon and not employ you.

A bit more serious than your fucking dog's rights to a private life...

kwame k
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah there are a lot of battles about that at the moment. It may be you end up having to choose a more expensive ISP to avoid being snooped by advertisers.

I don't use store loyalty cards for the same reason.

It's funny that BBB is worried about 'the government' scanning his dog when all this is going on. :)

There is a ton of abuse and the potential for a lot more, in regards to gathering, using and selling your information. It's funny how here in The States, people don't even bat an eye when asked for their Social Security number. People give it out or use it as their identifying number for a ton of things that really aren't necessary.

You'll see the intrusion of your daily habits by advertising companies before you'll see it from the government.

I have chipped my dogs, too.....nine iron ;) It works great if you lose 'em and if the government wants to track where my dog shits and pisses, I'd be all for it. I hate when people don't pick up after their dogs ;)

jhale667
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Consider the source...the myopic, intellectually challenged source. :lmao:

Anonymous
03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
You'll need to stay away from money as well, at least according to the foil-hat brigade. Those plastic strips embedded in bills are not anti-counterfeiting measures, they are really a tracking device. This way, the government can tell how much money you have on you when you walk through a scanner of some sort. So in response, people started microwaving their money.

I'm not kidding. Here's the story, from SNOPES (http://www.snopes.com/business/money/strip.asp). It's amazing the crap some people come up with.

:lol: :lmao: :lol:

Cheers! :bottle:

Nickdfresh
03-09-2010, 07:43 PM
What's a "Bign" government?

Blackflag
03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I think "Bign's" used to be a magazine.

Brian, why look to dogs? If you want to see big brother in the UK, just look at the DNA database.

Seshmeister
03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
The UK government doesn't have my DNA but the US government has my fingerprints.

Go figure...

PETE'S BROTHER
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
you've slung no dna at a government location?

me neither:(

PETE'S BROTHER
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
sorry, running back to non:hee:

Little Texan
03-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I think this is Bign Brother...

http://thesportinglife.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/fat_guy.jpg

Seshmeister
03-10-2010, 07:29 AM

Just make sure you never put one in a microwave.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4jpAI0o79kw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4jpAI0o79kw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
03-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I think "Bign's" used to be a magazine.

Brian, why look to dogs? If you want to see big brother in the UK, just look at the DNA database.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7C3RrvZMx-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7C3RrvZMx-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BigBadBrian
03-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I think this is Bign Brother...

http://thesportinglife.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/fat_guy.jpg

No, this is:

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/fat-bastard-michael-moore-s.jpg

BigBadBrian
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Or the cameras on every corner:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/10/article-0-022FB573000005DC-625_233x423.jpg

LoungeMachine
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Where's your outrage over the "patriot act" BignBadnBrian?

Much more Bign Brother in that than in all of the UK

jhale667
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Much more Bign Brother in that than in all of the UK

There you go confusing him with logic again...:hee:

LoungeMachine
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Or the cameras on every corner:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/10/article-0-022FB573000005DC-625_233x423.jpg

Chips in dogs and cameras on public streets = Bign Brother to you?

But warrantless wiretaps are okie dokie?

you're easily duped by shiney objects.....

PETE'S BROTHER
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
or a laser pointer, which itself could be shiney

BigBadBrian
03-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Bign Brother ?

Thanks for serving as the typo police. We are all glad you can finally put that 8th grade education of yours to use. :biggrin:

BigBadBrian
03-11-2010, 05:43 AM

Do you even know what is in the Patriot Act? Doubtful.

Besides, a good portion of it was penned by Dems during Wild Bill's Administration and quite a few amendments strengthening the Act were added to it by Democratic Senators, most notably Russ Feingold.

BigBadBrian
03-11-2010, 05:44 AM
There you go confusing him with logic again...:hee:

http://actingschmacting.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/broken-record.jpg

jhale667
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
http://actingschmacting.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/broken-record.jpg

Yep, that's exactly what your repeated idiotic necon bleatings sound like...sucks to be you! :tongue0011:

Hardrock69
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
BigBadBrian is alive and well wherever.

Nickdfresh
03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Do you even know what is in the Patriot Act? Doubtful.

Why don't you enlighten us?

Besides, a good portion of it was penned by Dems during Wild Bill's Administration and quite a few amendments strengthening the Act were added to it by Democratic Senators, most notably Russ Feingold.

So? There are various portions that were added after 9/11 out of paranoia, which were not instituted by the Democrats specially actually. The Bill you're referring too was largely a restructuring of various agencies into the Dept. of Homeland Security...

LoungeMachine
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Do you even know what is in the Patriot Act? .

Yes.

Obviously you dont.