PDA

View Full Version : American Pickers

LoungeMachine
03-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I love the concept, because instead of going to antique dealers, or even estate sales, these guys are actually rummaging through old barns and properties.

Fascinating shit they find, and some of the most interesting people profiled.

One guy had been building sheds and tunnels on his property for 40 years, and accumulating the most bizarre stuff.....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QnT1lNlVsjs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QnT1lNlVsjs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GLUk0-2C0EY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GLUk0-2C0EY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kwame k
03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I love the concept, because instead of going to antique dealers, or even estate sales, these guys are actually rummaging through old barns and properties.

Fascinating shit they find, and some of the most interesting people profiled.

One guy had been building sheds and tunnels on his property for 40 years, and accumulating the most bizarre stuff.....

Great show and the guy who had the old sheds actually had a White Castle's and an amazing collection of horse drawn carriages.

You can watch that episode here American Pickers &mdash; White Castle on the Farm &mdash; History.com Videos (http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers/videos/white-castle-on-the-farm#white-castle-on-the-farm)

twonabomber
03-10-2010, 12:20 AM
i like how they get pissed when someone wants what they deem too much for something, when they want to pay nearly nothing for stuff and profit from it later.

LoungeMachine
03-10-2010, 01:32 AM
i like how they get pissed when someone wants what they deem too much for something, when they want to pay nearly nothing for stuff and profit from it later.

The greed factor on both sides is one of the best parts :D

I've seen old coots ask 9 prices for junk they'll end up going to the grave with too...

I loved the old carnie ride they found for $1,500

:gulp:

Dr. Love
03-10-2010, 02:09 AM
I like Pawn Stars more. That show cracks me up.

LoungeMachine
03-10-2010, 02:18 AM
I like Pawn Stars more. That show cracks me up.

I like Pawn Stars when they're actually dealing with the public...

But the ridiculously forced and scripted back stories with the help are boring.

Chumley the idiot, or the ditzy chick, even the kid annoys the fuck out of me.

The old man is a hoot, and they get some cool shit in.

But enough already with the characterizations....

Nitro Express
03-10-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm waiting for the episode of Pickers where they go into a basement of a Jeffery Dahmer type character and he locks them down there for fun and games.

Nitro Express
03-10-2010, 02:54 AM
I think a lot of those old people with all that stuff are basically hoarders. I knew an old lady who's late husband had a collection of nice cars. There was an old Buick in perfect shape I wanted but she refused to sell any of them because they were her husband's. She's still living in the same house which has, dry rot, peeling paint, curled shingles and a bunch of once were collectable cars from the 1950's and 1960's rusting away. In the early 80's that Buick had perfect chrome and the paint was in good shape. Not now. There is also a Imperial like the one that Pawn Stars episode.

LoungeMachine
03-10-2010, 03:14 AM
The difference is "Hoarders" collect worthless junk and garbage....

Much of what you see on AP is valuable collectables.....

chefcraig
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I swear that Mike Wolfe guy looks familiar, but according to the various bios on line regarding the guy, he isn't an actor. I dunno, I'm sure I've seen him on tv before, maybe in a bit part on Law & Order or something like that. Anyone else feel this way? http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Confused/sorry.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Confused-Smileys.html)

Susie Q
03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Yah, I have watched this show a couple of times but keep forgetting when it is on. I watched the carnie ride show, and another where there were bee's outside a barn when they were trying to get a bike or something. I like the show because I am hoping to see if they pull anything out there that has any of my shit to find the value of it. Also, I love antiques, so...

I also watch the Antique Roadshow when I get a chance. That's neat to get the history of an object.

I have old blueprints from some buildings that were built in IL, NY, MD, and MA that this one guy did back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. I wonder what they would be worth. I also have a collection of his writings back and forth AND when he was a mayor for Rocky Point (Mount), NJ. I have a original contract when that place was getting real street lights vs. oil lamps. Neat things...

chefcraig
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
The show returns this Monday evening, December 6, with the first of several all new episodes.

High Life Man
12-05-2010, 10:22 PM
It's a cool show - as is Pawn Stars (my buddy went to the store and said it is very small). I don't think the Pickers just stumble on these people, I wonder what the real process is. How the find the people, get clearance, etc.

The two are a bit goofy - I took them for a couple of buttpunchers. Entertaining show...

Dr. Love
12-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I took them for a couple of buttpunchers.

So that's why Lounge likes that show so much.

Seshmeister
12-06-2010, 11:55 AM
This thread is like overhearing a bunch of 60 year old women chatting on the bus.

Nitro Express
12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
The difference is "Hoarders" collect worthless junk and garbage....

Much of what you see on AP is valuable collectables.....

Not necessarily. My older brother was a hoarder and he filled his home with expensive telescopes, model trains, and high end stereo equipment. He had a room full of speakers including some Mothertruckers from the Greateful Dead's wall of sound (he lived in the Bay Area). It was a nightmare to go through and we no idea what to do with it all. I would have loved to just sell it all at an auction. The Red Cross amazingly was willing to take a lot of it. They sell the stuff and use the money to run their organization.

twonabomber
12-06-2010, 03:23 PM
it's an okay show, sometimes i think they lowball people on stuff. then at the end when they do the "valued" rundown i wonder what they really get for some of that stuff.

Jagermeister
12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I am trying to decide if that chick on that show if worth doing or not. I think she is but I am not sure. They say the camera adds a few pounds. :umm:

PETE'S BROTHER
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
This thread is like overhearing a bunch of 60 year old women chatting on the bus.

stop your chattering :biggrin:

chefcraig
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I am trying to decide if that chick on that show if worth doing or not. I think she is but I am not sure. They say the camera adds a few pounds. :umm:

Nah, she falls into the "barely do-able" category, even on my small screen tv.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
only found a few "flattering" pics

3/4 down the page..http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=584523&page=2

chefcraig
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
only found a few "flattering" pics

3/4 down the page..http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=584523&page=2

I love the post made by repdept at that site:

Not just no but oh HELL no

You can find more at Google Image, under "danielle american pickers", but it really isn't worth the effort.

vh rides again
12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Those guys live right down the road from me, I did the drywall in thier garage a few years ago as a matter of fact. the younger guy comes from alot of money, his grandfather just a few years back sold the family business for 190 million. was called thomes prostler company, TPC. started with a 1 horse wagon delivering groceries in the city of moline illinois, home of john deere.

Ive seen the girl in the show a few times at the gas station right behind thier shop too, shes much prettier in person, pretty down to earth too, she'll talk to ya anyways.

pretty cool show.

Jagermeister
12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Those guys live right down the road from me, I did the drywall in thier garage a few years ago as a matter of fact. the younger guy comes from alot of money, his grandfather just a few years back sold the family business for 190 million. was called thomes prostler company, TPC. started with a 1 horse wagon delivering groceries in the city of moline illinois, home of john deere.

Ive seen the girl in the show a few times at the gas station right behind thier shop too, shes much prettier in person, pretty down to earth too, she'll talk to ya anyways.

pretty cool show.

She works for two junk monkey's why would she not be down to earth?

VAiN
12-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I find this show to be both annoying and pretty gay... I love the History channel when there shows with actual historical content - not 2 dudes going through old shit.

Nitro Express
12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I find this show to be both annoying and pretty gay... I love the History channel when there shows with actual historical content - not 2 dudes going through old shit.

My dad would buy property and it was my job to clean it up. Going through piles of old shit brings back bad memories and I never got rich doing it.

LoungeMachine
12-07-2010, 02:45 AM
To be clear.....

I love the show, but find Mike to be a douche among douches......

No, the chick is NOT hot, nor even luke warm........

Yes, they low-ball people, but no guns or water-boarding are used in purchasing.....

No, they NEVER get the "value" they claim their buys are worth.......

I watch/like the show for the PEOPLE and the collections on the show, and most of the human interest stories behind them.....

Not every show on History Channel has to be about Hitler or dinosaurs.....

chefcraig
12-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Or UFOs. Then again, I never really got over the fact that the Sci-Fi channel stopped running reruns of Dark Shadows and The Invaders.

Seshmeister
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Otherwise where would we find out about sharks from...?

PETE'S BROTHER
12-07-2010, 01:23 PM

discovery channel

chefcraig
12-07-2010, 01:24 PM

That's the DISCOVERY channel. You know, where Myth Busters comes from.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-07-2010, 01:24 PM
big cats this week

chefcraig
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
big cats this week

No, that is the National Geographic channel.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-09-2010, 02:44 PM
10-4.

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I've just discovered I get a Xmas 24 channel.

Xmas shit 24 hours a day for the whole month.

Mr Walker would love it...