PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix "Valleys of Neptune"

Mr Badguy
03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
I picked this up yesterday (although I have been listening to it for a few weeks).

Most of the stuff is from 1969 when Hendrix was struggling for direction.

There isn`t anything to get too excited about IMO, rerecordings of "Stone free", "Fire", "Red house" etc. are nowhere near as good as their 1966/67 counterparts and the rest of the album is made up of work-in-progress versions of songs with different titles.

What I have an issue with is that some of the songs fade out.

That, for me, is starting to go down the Alan Douglas route of editing Hendrix`s work (which he wouldn`t have wanted one second of released) for the Estates own design.

They`ll be awarding themselves writing credits next.

Any fans should illegally download this now as Jimi isn`t making money off of it anyway, any beginners should start with "Are you experienced?", "Axis:Bold as love" or "Elecrtic Ladyland".

kissfan1976
03-10-2010, 08:19 AM
I pre-ordered a copy form Best Buy along with Are You Experienced which should arrive in a few days.

Here's a review from FOXNEWS.com.

SKIP: "Valleys of Neptune"

Jimi Hendrix has been gone for nearly 40 years, but his estate refuses to let him die. The genius guitarist completed only three albums while he was alive. Since his death in 1970, 11 more "new" albums have been released in a never-ending attempt to turn Hendrix into Hendrix, Inc. The latest release, "Valleys of Neptune," contains seven newly released songs that Hendrix never completed to his liking, and it gives bootleggers a clean copy of the "unreleased" songs they've been trading for years. Listening to these takes, you can understand why Hendrix left them in the vault. They're a long way from the brilliant blasts of "Purple Haze" or "Castles Made of Sand." While Hendrix's leftovers are better than most musicians' self-proclaimed masterpieces, the uninitiated are better off picking up a copy of his debut, "Are You Experienced." The rest of us who own it should listen again. It's the music Hendrix wanted us to hear.