PDA

View Full Version : socialized fishing?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-10-2010, 11:16 AM
New way to manage marine resourcesFaced with the prospect of further industrialization along America's coasts and the Great Lakes (wind turbines and natural-gas exploration, for example), the task force is charged with putting in place a new ecosystem management process called marine spatial planning. Marine spatial planning (MSP), according to the United Nations, is “a public process of analyzing and allocating the spatial and temporal distribution of human activities in marine areas to achieve ecological, economic, and social objectives that usually have been specified through a political process." That kind of government-speak scares Phil Morlock, director of environmental affairs at the reel-and-rod maker Shimano. Mr. Morlock points to references by the ocean task force to “one global sea” as evidence that what’s really being proposed are broad changes to America's user-funded conservation strategy, potentially affecting even inland waters. “I suggest that the task force recommend our model to the United Nations rather than us adopting the United Nations model,” he says in a phone interview. “The American model is the best in the world, so our question is: Why seek the lowest common denominator?”

Fishermen?s fear: Public's 'right to fish' shifting under Obama? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100309/ts_csm/286232)

PETE'S BROTHER
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
douglas t will probably be pissed:(

sadaist
03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I really disagree with a lot of the restrictions on personal fishing. Free man in a free country? You can not pull a fish from the ocean without having paid for the proper and up to date permits and licenses. What the fuck is that about? I can't pull a damned surf perch from the fucking Pacific Ocean without first getting it ok'd by Uncle Sam?

I do not mind having to be licensed or buy a permit for inland reservoirs & waterways, especially in the case where they are stocked with fish. But a natural body of water like the Pacific Ocean? Maybe if you go further than the 7 or 12 mile boundary you can fish freely. But that will take having a boat...and you're gonna have to register & license that to be able to even drop it in the water.

As far as limiting areas where people can fish, I'm not totally against that. Man made bodies of water are fine, and with natural bodies of water, they could limit it to a small percentage of what would be off limits.

The worst is the Colorado River. I've received a ticket 3 separate times for fishing there. Either my CA license didn't have the AZ stamp on it, or my CA/AZ license didn't have the NV endorsement. They change the rules depending on how they catch you. I've been told it is based on where your cast originated from...and I've been told it's where you or your boat originated from. Or which shore of the river you are closest too. I don't really think the rangers know the exact rules either. But out of state tickets it's just easier to send them the $50 than fight it.

It just bugs me that you can't toss a string into the water in attempts to catch some dinner without getting into trouble for not paying the proper government fees.

chefcraig
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
It just bugs me that you can't toss a string into the water in attempts to catch some dinner without getting into trouble for not paying the proper government fees.

In Florida you can, at least in theory. If you use a cane pole with no reel, you are good to go. Of course, you aren't going to catch much more than brim, so you'll need to collect at least ten of them to make a meal for one evening.

The idea of fishing licenses here was to pay for the upkeep of the waterways and the natural impact of people upon them. If you saw the deplorable nature of our canals today, you'd now what a bad practical joke that turned out to be. In fact, the water management in our district is so muddle-headed that they can never figure out which areas need to be drained during a hurricane, leading to needlessly dangerous flooding conditions in areas least able to cope. The expansive development into what were once classified as protected wilderness areas has further complicated the issue. As homes are built pressing into the Everglades, the rich dopes that live in them complain about wildlife encroaching upon their BBQs, rather than realizing it is they that are doing the encroaching. So now the police get regular 911 calls about alligators, bears and deer wandering into back yards.

Nature has a way of clearing undergrowth and dead plants every season, it's called fire. 20 or 30 years ago, there were no houses built as far into the brush as is currently. So when the seasonal brush fires start up every year, they now devour housing projects as well. All homes need water and plumbing, so these new houses built where they shouldn't be put even more strain on what is a fragile aquifer. For one reason or another, the funding that keeps these projects afloat is drying up as well. You still need a license to fish down here, so with the combined resources of fresh and salt water boating available, where the hell is all the money going? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-423.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

Diamondjimi
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I have no issue paying for my annual fishing license because I know the money is getting pumped back into conservation, preservation and restocking. In Canada Natives are not required to have fishing license's and they have zero restrictions on limits. This pisses me off because they fish alot of the northern lakes with nets and traps wiping out most of the new re-stock rendering them (lakes) pretty much useless for fishing

In recent times I've switched my game to Muskie fishing. Go big or stay home... ;)

sadaist
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
If you saw the deplorable nature of our canals today,

Oh, we have canals like that in CA too. It's mainly the ocean thing that bugs me I guess. One day a year there is a free fishing day in CA. Mostly people just catch mackerel & the likes. Nothing really good to eat, but then again, if you're hungry, a fish is a fish is a fish.

Just something raw about catching food from the waters and cooking your meal. Living off the land so to speak. Off the grid. Doesn't seem right to be worried about having the correct papers with you to present upon interrogation.

chefcraig
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Just something raw about catching food from the waters and cooking your meal. Living off the land so to speak. Off the grid. Doesn't seem right to be worried about having the correct papers with you to present upon interrogation.

That's another thing, the idea of eating what you catch. When we first moved here in the sixties, you could fish for a day in the Everglades, and catch enough to fill up a large cooler, providing about a month's worth of meals. In the past 40 years, the run off from the sugar companies in this state has polluted the glades so badly that in some places, the fish have a mercury content as high as 19 to 23 percent. Think about that number. Today, more toxic mercury can be found in a single fish here than you'd find in a mercury thermometer.

sadaist
03-10-2010, 07:45 PM
That's another thing, the idea of eating what you catch. When we first moved here in the sixties, you could fish for a day in the Everglades, and catch enough to fill up a large cooler, providing about a month's worth of meals. In the past 40 years, the run off from the sugar companies in this state has polluted the glades so badly that in some places, the fish have a mercury content as high as 19 to 23 percent. Think about that number. Today, more toxic mercury can be found in a single fish here than you'd find in a mercury thermometer.

Yeah, I remember a friend who said he ate what he caught out of Mission Bay. Gross. Everyone that fishes in San Diego knows you catch & release those 3 eyed fishys. Although I vaguely remember local news stories stating it was safe to eat like 3 of them per week. Still pretty fucked up.

Best fish I ever ate was we had a coleman stove going with a frying pan filled with oil. Also had a bag breading/seasoning. Me & a friend were fishing off some rocks deep in the middle of no where in Mexico. As we would catch the Cabrillo Bass, they would be filleted immediately as we unhooked them, dropped into the seasonings and right to the pan. By the time we were casting out for the next fish, we were eating the last one.

Once we couldn't eat anymore we packed it in for the day. Ice cold Mexican Cokes and fish straight from the crystal blue ocean to the frying pan. Fuck. Best day ever.

The local Pelicans ate up all the scraps too. Zero waste or mess left behind.

Blackflag
03-10-2010, 07:46 PM
That's fucked up.

Diamondjimi
03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Today, more toxic mercury can be found in a single fish here than you'd find in a mercury thermometer.

Lake Ontario's the same. I haven't eaten a fish out of it in 3o years.

FORD
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Best day of fishing I ever had was at this pond west of Waco Texas. Probably pretty close to where Chimpy's pig ranch now is, though this was 1978, so it was long before that stage prop was built. Though it could have been "his" pond, for all I know.

As many big mouth bass as me, my dad, and my uncle could catch and carry out. I don't think I had to keep a line in the water for more than 30 seconds at a time, them fuckin fish just kept coming.

sadaist
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Best day of fishing I ever had was at this pond west of Waco Texas. Probably pretty close to where Chimpy's pig ranch now is, though this was 1978, so it was long before that stage prop was built. Though it could have been "his" pond, for all I know.

As many big mouth bass as me, my dad, and my uncle could catch and carry out. I don't think I had to keep a line in the water for more than 30 seconds at a time, them fuckin fish just kept coming.

Awesome bro. Every boy should have one day like that. One memory where the fish were lined up to eat your hook. You can't accurately explain to people just how fast the fish were coming. Unless someone has actually experienced "that one day", they will never understand that magical time when you could cast no wrong. The only people that truly get it are the guys that were there with you.

Unfortunately, youth today won't sit through the countless days of one or two fish to ever have "that one day". All the times we get skunked out there actually make that one experience that much better.

Fuck, I wanna go fishin' now.

:(

PETE'S BROTHER
03-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I have no issue paying for my annual fishing license because I know the money is getting pumped back into conservation, preservation and restocking. In Canada Natives are not required to have fishing license's and they have zero restrictions on limits. This pisses me off because they fish alot of the northern lakes with nets and traps wiping out most of the new re-stock rendering them (lakes) pretty much useless for fishing

In recent times I've switched my game to Muskie fishing. Go big or stay home... ;)

i went muskie hunting one time on the flambeau flowage in wisconsin one time. best three day fishin' trip i've ever been on. didn't get one into either boat, but had a blast.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-11-2010, 12:43 AM

i was probably 12 ish and my uncle took me fishin' on a farm pond in iowa. we would float the canoe broadside up to the shore and the bass would try to jump the boat and land inside. true story. nuthin' like this tho....YouTube - MILLIONS OF FISH JUMPING INTO BOAT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fUmx-HI0Q)

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Now this looks like fun!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQ2MNgrhqUI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQ2MNgrhqUI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 01:01 AM
i went muskie hunting one time on the flambeau flowage in wisconsin one time. best three day fishin' trip i've ever been on. didn't get one into either boat, but had a blast.

Always a blast, even if ya don't land one. Always lots of killer bud and cold ones to pas the time with.

sadaist
03-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Damn. Everyone here is an angler. Awesome!

BigBadBrian
03-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Damn. Everyone here is an angler. Awesome!

Yeah, I'm currently into fly fishing and fishing from my kayak. Fishing from an unstable platform on the rolling ocean is great. :)

binnie
03-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Isn't fishing something men take up when they stop loving their wives?

chefcraig
03-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I'm currently into fly fishing and fishing from my kayak. Fishing from an unstable platform on the rolling ocean is great. :)

I have enough trouble with a rod and reel in freshwater, but seeing what some of these guys do on little more than a flat skiff in the ocean is amazing. There are some terrific shows on ESPN during weekend mornings that do a great job showing how cool this is. What's remarkable is how these guys make it look so easy. It's one thing to sit in calm waters and cast, it's quite another to maintain your balance and place your cast in just the right place with waves coming at you.

sadaist
03-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Just the opposite Bin. Women are what men take up when the fishing is bad.

VanHalener
03-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Come on over to my place Hit Man and I'll show you what fishing inland waters is all about, brother. Let me put you on a Fairfax County musky, pike, small or largemouth bass while we cruise along some of the prettiest waterways around. Along the river you'll see deer, beaver (both kinds), eagles, hawks, turkey, coyote, fox, and if you are lucky an otter or two.
Let me motor you up to PA and we'll do some trout fishing. I like to catch a trout, start a fire, cook that sumbitch, and eat 'em right by the cool clean water that spawned him. Inland fishing is the SHIT, Holmes!
Some fags are out there because they hate their wife and are not man enough to maintain a loving relationship, but the majority are out there for the catch and release sport of it and the overall greatness that is being on a boat in the great outdoors. Besides all that hooah shit, 99% of the sportsmen I know are thoughtful conservationists who hardly leave a footprint outdoors. Shit man, you should see the trash that bass fishermen around here pull off the water every week. Fukking litterbugs in the city don't give a shit that the trash they toss out the window ends up in my river and that makes me fucking ANGRY! hULK SMASH!!!!!!!

Anyway, some big bullshit organization starts to fuck up our water and I'll be going postal. And Bin, you gotta hit it on the deck of a boat bro.

OWWWWWWWWWWWW!

PETE'S BROTHER
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Always a blast, even if ya don't land one. Always lots of killer bud and cold ones to pas the time with.

the last day it rained and rained. everyone soaked to the bone, loaded up the boats and stopped at the original famous dave's resaturant on the way to our cabin. without a doubt one of my top ten meals ever. not that the food was incredibly great(still very good) but, warmin' up with a few toddies and a garbage can lid full of bbq was exactly what the doctor ordered.

binnie
03-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Come on over to my place Hit Man and I'll show you what fishing inland waters is all about, brother. Let me put you on a Fairfax County musky, pike, small or largemouth bass while we cruise along some of the prettiest waterways around. Along the river you'll see deer, beaver (both kinds), eagles, hawks, turkey, coyote, fox, and if you are lucky an otter or two.
Let me motor you up to PA and we'll do some trout fishing. I like to catch a trout, start a fire, cook that sumbitch, and eat 'em right by the cool clean water that spawned him. Inland fishing is the SHIT, Holmes!
Some fags are out there because they hate their wife and are not man enough to maintain a loving relationship, but the majority are out there for the catch and release sport of it and the overall greatness that is being on a boat in the great outdoors. Besides all that hooah shit, 99% of the sportsmen I know are thoughtful conservationists who hardly leave a footprint outdoors. Shit man, you should see the trash that bass fishermen around here pull off the water every week. Fukking litterbugs in the city don't give a shit that the trash they toss out the window ends up in my river and that makes me fucking ANGRY! hULK SMASH!!!!!!!

Anyway, some big bullshit organization starts to fuck up our water and I'll be going postal. And Bin, you gotta hit it on the deck of a boat bro.

OWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Posts like this are why you're one of my favourite posters! :D

Outstanding.

BigBadBrian
03-11-2010, 10:36 AM

OWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Outstanding post!!! :killer:

kwame k
03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree Sadie, I thought my fishing license was going for conservation, too.

One of my top 5 favorite place for Trout fishing is the Nehalem River. The river runs into the ocean but where I went was close to Jewel Oregon and the Saddle Mountain range. I'd drive back about 30 miles, on old logging roads and found a beautiful camping and fishing spot, in the middle of nowhere. Walk the river, find a nice hole and it's game on.

My favorite way to cook the Trout was lemon-pepper seasoning, butter, garlic, and salt wrapped in tin foil and cooked right in the campfire. Nothing like the taste of fresh caught fish. We were up towards the source of the river and never brought water, either. Drank right from the river.

I must of camped/fished there over a hundred times....truly a great wild place to commune with nature....the Elk and Mountain Loins, when you could catch a glimpse of them, was awesome.

My number one place to Trout fish is the Au Sable River in Northern Michigan...because it's so popular you have to go into the back country to find the Honey Holes ;)

In Michigan, on the Great Lakes, Brown Trout or Salmon was my preferred fishing. Inland lakes it was Northern Pike and Large Mouth Bass. The rivers Trout and Small Mouth Bass.

About the Mercury levels and people fishing the Detroit River, my uncle fishes the Detroit River and they can only eat 2 or 3 a month, I think. I never ate a fish from there but it's the only river I've kayaked that I had to wash the grime off the kayak when I got home.

Lake Erie has world class Walleye fishing, too.

Here in Colorado I've only been up to the 11 Mile damn/river and was fishing for Trout.

BBB, I've been fishing from a kayak since the early 90's......best way, IMHO, to fish a lake . When you hook onto a big one and are not anchored it's a blast trying not to get your line tangled and having the fish take you for a ride.

I just started getting serious about fly fishing around fall of last year. I've done it before and get the basic gist of it but this year will be the first time I'm serious about learning proper casting and all that junk. My buddy is teaching me how to tie my own flies, too.

sadaist
03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
My favorite way to cook the Trout....

Do you leave the skin on? That's the way my dad taught me. We only ever fished for Rainbows though. Gut em & scale em, remove head, tail, fins, add butter, garlic, lemon, salt and wrap in tin foil on the grill. I'm hungry now.

When I was a kid we owned a condo in Mammoth Mtn., CA. (errr...Mammoth Lakes). Big time ski resort in No CA. But we would go a lot in summer. It's just a very small, quiet town in the summer with awesome rainbow trout fishing. Best fishing was always a hike to some crazy spot. But even lakes nearby Mammoth were great too. Convict Lake & June Lake come to mind.

Convict Lake, CA. Most the lakes near Mammoth kinda look like this.

http://www.californiafishingonline.com/Convict%20Lake%20California3.jpg

bueno bob
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Is it bad that every time I see the title to this thread I immediately read it as "Socialized Fisting"?

Diamondjimi
03-11-2010, 10:17 PM
This thread kicks ass...

kwame k
03-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Do you leave the skin on? That's the way my dad taught me. We only ever fished for Rainbows though. Gut em & scale em, remove head, tail, fins, add butter, garlic, lemon, salt and wrap in tin foil on the grill. I'm hungry now.

When I was a kid we owned a condo in Mammoth Mtn., CA. (errr...Mammoth Lakes). Big time ski resort in No CA. But we would go a lot in summer. It's just a very small, quiet town in the summer with awesome rainbow trout fishing. Best fishing was always a hike to some crazy spot. But even lakes nearby Mammoth were great too. Convict Lake & June Lake come to mind.

Convict Lake, CA. Most the lakes near Mammoth kinda look like this.

http://www.californiafishingonline.com/Convict%20Lake%20California3.jpg

Yup, leave the skin on because it seals in the juices and keeps it moist.....[why does that sound like I'm giving advice to a porn queen ;)]

Dude, Mammoth looks awesome....best part about fishing, hunting, climbing, hiking and etc is it gives you an excuse to be in beautiful places like that.

kwame k
03-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Is it bad that every time I see the title to this thread I immediately read it as "Socialized Fisting"?

Only if you're thinking about fisting fish ;)

Oh wait! People in the South do fish like that........

<embed src=http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/976536/catfishing_the_hard_way.swf width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_976536" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/976536/catfishing_the_hard_way/">Catfishing the Hard Way</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">Funny bloopers are a click away</a></font>

BigBadBrian
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I just started getting serious about fly fishing around fall of last year. I've done it before and get the basic gist of it but this year will be the first time I'm serious about learning proper casting and all that junk. My buddy is teaching me how to tie my own flies, too.

This book would be a great reference:

Amazon.com: Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple (9781571882318): Skip Morris: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tying-Made-Clear-Simple/dp/1571882316/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269192681&sr=1-3)

Nitro Express
03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Around here if they didn't stock the game fish there would be none to catch. The only native trout here is the cutthroat and they are rare. So natural fishing is pretty much gone and man pretty much has to provide the game fish to catch. That costs money and so that is what your fishing license fees go towards.

I can see charging fees if it goes towards maintaining the fish population. I can see regulation to keep certain areas from being fished out. But if it's regulation just to control things for control sake, I'm against it.

Nitro Express
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM
The house I live in was the fishing lodge for the CEO of Weyerhaeuser lumber. This is a supposedly world class fly fishing area but I will argue that. There's better fishing in Patagonia and New Zealand. I grew up fly fishing and got bored with it. Now I like to try and catch fish on crazy lures I make. I love going up next to some snobby fly fisherman and catch more fish than he does on a cheap Zebco rod fishing with a hot pink and yellow homemade lure. I go into these high end fly shops with their thousand dollar titanium reels and hand built bamboo rods and shake my head.

Nitro Express
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
The most fun I ever had fishing was spear fishing in Cozemel, Mexico.

kwame k
03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
This book would be a great reference:

Amazon.com: Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple (9781571882318): Skip Morris: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tying-Made-Clear-Simple/dp/1571882316/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269192681&sr=1-3)

Thanks man :beers8: