PDA

View Full Version : Which news source(s) do you watch on TV?

BigBadBrian
03-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Which news source(s) do you watch on TV? I'm not trying to be inflammatory or argumentative here. Just curious.

FYI, here's the latest ratings:
CABLE NEWS RACE
TUES, MARCH 9, 2010

FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,499,000
FOXNEWS BECK 3,406,000
FOXNEWS HANNITY 2,901,000
FOXNEWS BAIER 2,686,000
FOXNEWS SHEP 2,243,000
FOXNEWS GRETA 2,027,000
MSNBC OLBERMANN 1,004,000
MSNBC MADDOW 994,000
CNNHN BEHAR 785,000
CNN KING 699,000
CNN COOPER 582,000

sadaist
03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Very few of those are actually "news" people. Shepard Smith is terrific. Don't care for Hannity. I watch O'Reilly maybe once or twice a week. Beck has been on as background when I visit my parents. I watch the local 11 pm news. Sometimes the 10 pm news if nothing else is on that evening.

But the majority of my news comes from online sources. Mostly Yahoo headlines from AP & Reuters, then branch out to other sites like USA Today, NY Times, etc...

Trash - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com (http://www.TMZ.com)
Local - San Diego News, Local, California and National News - SignOnSanDiego.com (http://www.signonsandiego.com/)
Local events & shows - San Diego Reader | San Diego's Guide to local events, music, restaurants, news and more! (http://www.sandiegoreader.com/)

...and of course http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/index.php ;)

kwame k
03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I killed my TV when I moved to Colorado but even before then I never got my News from any TV source, except local news from TV.

I use the online news sources and I guess Yahoo would be my #1 source, since it's my homepage.

Believe it or not, I don't like my News to have a left or right slant to it.....report the facts and I'll decide how to deal with it or form my own opinions.

WACF
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Very few of those are actually "news" people. ;)

Very true.

The top people on this list are more characters than anything..

FORD
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
FAUX Noise's ratings claims are bullshit, and transparent as Hell.

You see, a few years ago, the Nielsen ratings corporation automated their system, and utilized the two-way capabilities of modern cable infrastructure. You don't need to write down the channels you watch anymore, or even monitor them with a little Nielsen gadget. They can just pull the data from the cable stream, just like your cable company does.

Now think of all the times in recent years where you have seen TV's suddenly appear where TV's never existed before. Airports, restaurants, doctors offices, even fucking gas stations! And what channel are they always turned to?

Yep. It's FAUX Noise. And in many of those cases, if you ask someone in those businesses to change the channel, they will tell you that they CAN'T. As if they are actually under contract to assault the eyes and ears of their customers with one particular TV channel. Because they probably ARE.

Of course the customers don't have to watch. And most of them don't. But the Nielsen company still records that a TV is tuned to FAUX Noise. And so you have the technically accurate number of all these TV sets tuned to FAUX.

But it doesn't mean people are watching their shit.... ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I get my news from The Daily Show....

Kristy
03-11-2010, 01:29 PM

O'Reilly seem to be the biggest at self-pimping his ratings as if they were an obsession. But again, I don't think he constantly repeats this in order to justify his ego or (ahem) credibility as a journalist as he needs to serve his masters i.e., Fox's advertisers of which many bailed after Beck's racist comments. Plus, if the suits at Fox really paid attention they would know the majority of the people who watch their network don't watch it for the news as they do the train wrecks - of which Fox will always be #1.

Kristy
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
FOXNEWS BECK 3,406,000
FOXNEWS BAIER 2,686,000
FOXNEWS SHEP 2,243,000
FOXNEWS GRETA 2,027,000

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9931/foxdull.jpg

kwame k
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM

You see, a few years ago, the Nielsen ratings corporation automated their system, and utilized the two-way capabilities of modern cable infrastructure. You don't need to write down the channels you watch anymore, or even monitor them with a little Nielsen gadget. They can just pull the data from the cable stream, just like your cable company does.

Now think of all the times in recent years where you have seen TV's suddenly appear where TV's never existed before. Airports, restaurants, doctors offices, even fucking gas stations! And what channel are they always turned to?

Yep. It's FAUX Noise. And in many of those cases, if you ask someone in those businesses to change the channel, they will tell you that they CAN'T. As if they are actually under contract to assault the eyes and ears of their customers with one particular TV channel. Because they probably ARE.

Of course the customers don't have to watch. And most of them don't. But the Nielsen company still records that a TV is tuned to FAUX Noise. And so you have the technically accurate number of all these TV sets tuned to FAUX.

But it doesn't mean people are watching their shit.... ;)

Speaking of Nielsen those guys sent me a survey with two crisp dollar bills in the package.....funny thing is, I don't have TV and watch everything online.

Not giving the 2 bucks back but I did fill out their form......

"Sorry guys I watch everything online because cable and satellite TV is a waste of money.

Sincerely,

Kwame K". :biggrin:

FORD
03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I pulled the plug on cable TV a while back. The few TV shows I actually watch are available online one way or the other. Though the MSNBC content is somewhat delayed by the time its posted on their website, and C-SPAN isn't always streamed live when you need it.

Didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.

kwame k
03-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I pulled the plug on cable TV a while back. The few TV shows I actually watch are available online one way or the other. Though the MSNBC content is somewhat delayed by the time its posted on their website, and C-SPAN isn't always streamed live when you need it.

Didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.

Me either......I'm looking to get the wireless hook-up for a LCD TV so I can use that as a monitor for my laptop.

There are so many great sites where you can get anything......my new favorite is the Hi-Def website Veehd (http://veehd.com) that a friend from here turned me on to.

FORD
03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Every once in a while some site pops up that carries live streams of MSNBC (among other channels) but they usually die within a few days. Wouldn't be surprised if the fucking nazi assholes at Comca$t are blocking them. :(

kwame k
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Try ustream or justintv

As with all sites be careful and I've never had a virus on these. They do, as you mentioned FORD, shut down these streams from time to time.

It is funny how everything you can watch legally is delayed.....like The Daily Show and what have you.

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt Concast has it's hands in it. Those fuckers called me yesterday and offered me another job. They must be hurting for trained people to call and offer me a job, not my old job, but a different job when I didn't even apply for one and quit working there.

Seshmeister
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
So MSNBC OLBERMANN is the top news source.

Fox is an entertainment channel not a news source.

jhale667
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM

BINGO! :baaa:

FORD
03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Keith actually said something very similar to that a few months back. I think O'Loofa threw a tantrum the next day.

Anonymous
03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I read a Portuguese newspaper that is almost like the Sun, though not so celebrity oriented. The articles are laughable, though. But since it's the newspaper that every place has, I don't really have much choice. Fuck me if I'm going to buy a fuckin' newspaper. Besides, it's easily readable while you're having lunch.

Other than that, I get my news here. Some I have already read in said newspaper, other I read here first.

The advantages of reading it here, is that they're "distilled" from all the others, so there's a chance that it's the most pertinent/funny that end up here.

Plus, since one tends to learn which are the most facetious/gullible/smart/intelligent posters here, one tends to look at particular pieces of news being picked by particular posters in different lights.

Cheers! :bottle:

BITEYOASS
03-11-2010, 10:19 PM
National TV News is obsolete and full of egos without a purpose. I mean really, who gives a rats-ass about TV news personalities. Their about as useless as reality show celebrities.

Local TV news is useful for when I want to find out what's fun around town and to find out which natural disaster is headed my way. Other than that, it's mostly internet news for me.

Baby's On Fire
03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I watch the Lounge and Seshmeister edited evening news.

Second only to Faux.

BITEYOASS
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Which news source(s) do you watch on TV? I'm not trying to be inflammatory or argumentative here. Just curious.

FYI, here's the latest ratings:
CABLE NEWS RACE
TUES, MARCH 9, 2010

FOXNEWS BECK 3,406,000
FOXNEWS BAIER 2,686,000
FOXNEWS SHEP 2,243,000
FOXNEWS GRETA 2,027,000

What percentage of the Faux News audience is either old or bedridden.

Dan
03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
The Kiwi News.:D

Satan
03-11-2010, 11:59 PM
The Kiwi News.:D

Does Murdoch own any of it?

(figured he might have bought out some of his next door neighbors before taking over so much in the US and UK)

Nitro Express
03-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Fox and MSNBC have about as much substance as a pro wrestling match. It's showbiz. I pretty much read the news on the internet from around the world. Mostly from Japan, Hong Kong, Russia, Germany, the Middle East, and the UK. You get a good all around mix and the truth usually lies in the middle somewhere.

Nickdfresh
03-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Why should we have to get our news from the TV? The same festering shithole that is infested by reality TV and infomercials featuring hooker-biting, expensive rag pimpers and that thing on Donald Trumps fucking head?

BigBadBrian
03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Why should we have to get our news from the TV?

I'm not saying you do. However, are websites and newspapers and magazines any less partisan or unbiased?

LoungeMachine
03-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Second only to Faux.

:lmao:

We REALLY damaged you little buddy, eh?

Still haven't recovered?

Say, where's that thread with the DELUGE of facts you were going to own us with?

still waiting :D

Oh, and Brie...

The mere fact you think the shows you listed are NEWS shows is startling, and explains alot about you.....

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
03-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm not saying you do. However, are websites and newspapers and magazines any less partisan or unbiased?

:umm:

unbiased?

Man, you really are confused about this topic....

LoungeMachine
03-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Now you're claiming you've been editted here?

Change your tampon already.

GAR
03-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I get my news from The Daily Show....

The vegetables in my fridge all watch that one too! Go figure..

GAR
03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh, and Brie...

The mere fact you think the shows you listed are NEWS shows is startling, and explains alot about you.....

Princess Cruises delayed your last furlough or something.. why aren't you out bothering the shuffleboard crowd?

GAR
03-13-2010, 01:07 PM
My chick can't stand Greta VanSusturden's voice, but I think she's quite clear and gets to the point of the matter regardless of whether she's interviewing a Dem or Republican.

Also I think she tries harder than the others to plan her hour show with more relevant stories based on importance rather than have the same blaring yammer the other shows on Fox are running.

Two shows I really don't care to watch are Maddow and Olbermann.

And I understand why Glen Beck is more popular than both of them put together, because he's about as emotionally unhinged as both of them put together - except that the stories and facts he brings out are quite current and relevant.

Maddow and Olbermann are still pointing back on Bush, Bush and Bush for any problems and they just don't get it what's wrong with the Democrats.

If MSNBC switched loyalty formats, which will occur for sure sometime before the 2012 race (they can't afford not to) they would most assuredly regain 50% of the market share for viewership from Fox. All they'd have to do is report all the failings that are already out there by Congress and this shitty Presidency.

Obama could paint the White House Black, and host a gala fundraiser for Louis Farrakhan and Jeremiah White with the ACLU for ACORN and MSNBC would gladly emcee the fucking thing..

hambon4lif
03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
National TV News is obsolete and full of egos without a purpose. I mean really, who gives a rats-ass about TV news personalities. Their about as useless as reality show celebrities. True. I've run into a few of them over the years, and every single time, they've turned out to be vapid, hollow, boring sonofabitches. When they're not on-the-air they don't seem to have a thought or a personality of their own.
I've always had a problem with them anyways. They start off their show by saying "Good Evening!", then they spend the next hour telling you every fucking reason why it isn't.

Fox must know that nobody takes them seriously, because their news shows are looking more and more like a tits & ass parade. Which is cool as long as the sound is off.

'The Daily Show' works because it takes a piss on the news. Otherwise, television news is generally just a bunch of bullshit!

ZahZoo
03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I once was on a flight sitting between Former Texas Governor Ann Richards and Dan Rather... funniest damn 2.5 hours I've ever had with the barbs and Texas style bantor between those 2.

Nickdfresh
03-13-2010, 08:02 PM
The vegetables in my fridge all watch that one too! Go figure..

Don't you mean your chubby girlfriend's fridge?

Kristy
03-14-2010, 04:36 PM
So MSNBC OLBERMANN is the top news source.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2207/spiny.jpg

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
gary has a himshe friend a real creep that reminds me of that greta bitch.maybe thats why i hate her voice.

LoungeMachine
03-15-2010, 04:30 PM
gary has a himshe friend a real creep that reminds me of that greta bitch.maybe thats why i hate her voice.

Dude, keep the alias out of the FL or I'll expose you.

Kristy
03-15-2010, 08:09 PM
My chick can't stand Greta VanSusturden's voice...

So you're doing the more domesticated farm animals now, Gar?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/2008_03_19-Chicken.jpg

The ones with the four legs not doing it for you anymore?

FORD
03-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Well roosters are also known as cocks so that would explain GAyR's interest.