PDA

View Full Version : Olbermann's father dies

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Anyone whose watched in the last couple of months knows about the passionate speeches he's given concerning "life panels", living wills, and the like...

Baseball Nerd: Theodore C. Olbermann, 1929-2010 (http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/theodore_c_olbermann_1929-2010.html)

Theodore C. Olbermann, 1929-2010

My father died, in the city of his birth, New York, at 3:50 EST this afternoon.

Though the financial constraints of his youth made college infeasible, he accomplished the near-impossible, becoming an architect licensed in 40 states. Much of his work was commercial, for a series of shoe store chains and department stores. There was a time in the 1970's when nearly all of the Baskin-Robbins outlets in the country had been built to his design, and under his direction. Through much of my youth and my early adult life, it was almost impossible to be anywhere in this country and not be a short drive to one of "his" stores.

My Dad was predeceased last year by my mother, Marie, his wife of nearly 60 years. He died peacefully after a long fight against the complications that ensued after successful colon surgery last September at the New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center. My sister Jenna and I were at his side, and I was reading him his favorite James Thurber short stories, as he left us.

I can't say enough about Dr. Jeff Milsom and his team at the hospital, and all of those physicians and nurses and staffers in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit who looked after my Dad all this time, and kept him in their hearts. And I feel the same way about all of you who have expressed your best wishes and prayers to him, and to me, and to our family.

My Dad was my biggest booster. A day after I was hired by CNN in the summer of 1981 as a two-week vacation relief sports reporter, I traveled by train to my childhood hometown, and walked from the station towards my folks' house. I was stopped half a dozen times before I got to my Dad's office by people congratulating me on my impending television debut. There was, of course, only one way they could have known. My Dad, the press agent.

Of course it was he and my Mom who took me to my first Yankees games (even though my father nursed a delightful grudge against the team for trading away his favorite players, Steve Souchock and Snuffy Stirnweiss - in 1948 and 1950). But as my interest in the sport began to take the shape of a dreamt-of career, it was my Dad also sacrificed family vacations so we could buy ever more tickets to Yankee games. When we could afford both games and vacations, four times those vacations were to Spring Training.

He was my inspiration, and will always remain so. His bravery these last six months cannot be measured. He is as much my hero now, as he was when I was five years old.

Nitro Express
03-13-2010, 08:59 PM
His dad being sick seemed to be a big strain on him. He became emotional on a lot of his broadcasts and inflected his own experience with his dad's situation in the healthcare debate. Olberman is a Democrat but has been vocally critical of the Obamacare scam. It sounds like he had a great relationship with his father and he did all he could do under trying circumstances. My best wishes to Kieth and his family.

FORD
03-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Mr. Olbermann's situation is a textbook example of what's wrong with this country's health care system. The man works all his life, his work is literally well known nationwide, and yet when he needed medical help, he was only able to have it because his son is a well paid news anchor.

Keith brought this fact up many times, that if it were not for his money, his father would not have received the quality of care that he did. My dad is only two years younger than Mr. Olbermann was, and though he's in excellent health for his age, it's a sad reality that he can probably count his remaining time on this earth in multiples of years, rather than multiples of decades.

Prayers to the Olbermann family in their time of great loss :(

Nitro Express
03-14-2010, 01:26 AM
The US has the most expensive healthcare on the planet. Why? Numerous reasons from fraudulent lawsuits, price gouging on various levels, abuse of the system, endless paperwork, overpriced drugs and equipment ect...

It's a major problem and there are many ethical issues at hand. The problem with fixing the healthcare problem is we have a bunch of sharks in Washington trying to use this emergency situation for their own benefit. They are trying to milk the desperation trying to get the lawmakers to sign something that we all will regret into law. It's criminal and criminals are who are running things right now. Do we want the same people behind the bankers bailout (welfare for the rich) to be in control of our healthcare system? Apparently we can't fix it with this congress and president because nothing has surfaced that is a real fix to the problem. It's all greed and control and no real solution.

Nitro Express
03-14-2010, 01:29 AM
The system pretty much threw the average person under the bus 30 years ago. Now it's hit the climax. They pretty much have stolen everything or outsourced it. 40% of Americans have less than $10,000 in savings and they tax the gains on that. The bank interest has gone up, jobs are going down, taxes will go up. The government has it's cock out telling us to suck it for a hollow promise and we will be lucky to get a crumb of bread. I think the real problem is greed and dishonesty more than anything.

Nitro Express
03-14-2010, 01:32 AM
There is no open negotiation on fixing the healthcare problem. It's sneaky back room deals and adding things in the last minute. Then it's the hurry we need vote on it when nobody has had time to read the bill to see what's in it. It's nuts.

GAR
03-14-2010, 06:24 PM
There is no open negotiation on fixing the healthcare problem.

You're confusing "health insurance" with the caring one plans for their health.