PDA

View Full Version : Another Shoes "too much info" thread - my big project idea

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah I do this, I'm sorry, but I don't have any men to bounce ideas off of anymore, and this is definitely a guy thing.

OK - here it is - along with the stupid mini pics due to lack of photo host.

I found a seasonal cabin around here for 69K - but it's been on the market for over a year, and I"m sure I could get it for in the 50s. It's solid from what I can see, well maintained, well, for a cabin that is. It's in a gorgeous spot, great views, deep in the woods, and no neighbors for a good portion of the year. Dog fence no problem, access not TOO bad, the road in front is town plowed, and four wheel would let me bulldoze into parking at the bottom of the private road. Babbling brook out the front door.

What do you think are the possibilities that this could be converted to a four season home? 2 bedroom, 1 and 1/2 bath, fireplace, kitchen, .6 acre wooded lot, no grass to mow. 15 minutes to the city where I HOPE to be working, not too far off the interstate.

Here are the obstacles.

Needs a furnace, no basement.
Needs insulation, therefore wallboard or planking to cover the inside walls (there is a winterization in MA that will cover up to 2000 of any insulation project.)
Only has seasonal water right now, pipes actually run above ground from several common wells. Shut off in the winter. The state is supposedly tough on digging wells, but there MAY have been one dug on the property, the homeowner's assoc. isn't sure. Septic must get title v before it can be sold.

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
kitchen and front room

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Sunporch and very scary bedroom

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
No bathroom photos available - will take some when I schedule a showing.

view from front window, back porch

Dan
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
How Much Are You Willing To Spend On This Place?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
How Much Are You Willing To Spend On This Place?

dan will save ya some cash helpin' "bury the pipe".

sorry, couldn't resist.

who shuts off the water in the winter? or would it stay on if ya could keep it from freezin'?

Dan
03-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Sorry,I Mean What Is Your Budget?

Also DIY?

MAX
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
In addition to being the president of the Oprah fanclub and a master florist, apparantly being a stellar interior decorator is yet another one of Dan's God given talents. :)

Dan, where do you find the time?

Dan
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I Watch Too Many Home Improvenment Shows.:D

Plus I'm A Handy Man Too.:D

Dan
03-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Also Watch Out For ALL Of The CowBoy's Out There.Cheap Is Not Always The Best.:D

Shop Around Too.

MAX
03-20-2010, 06:33 PM
I Watch Too Many Home Improvenment Shows.:D

Plus I'm A Handy Man Too.:D

Dan's website (http://www.thomfilicia.com/home)

Dan
03-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Dan's website (http://www.thomfilicia.com/home)

How Dare You.:D

thome
03-20-2010, 06:39 PM
My expert op after being involved in couple such love affairs.

"Expert" with no real knowlege as in layout of the land and roof quality substructure pipes etc...

The yearly taxes would be cheap but no matter what you do you are going to need space heaters in every room and that is a good money saving thing after you pay maybe $1500. for a furnace bla bla.

If you can find a way to rough it as they say and live thier full time it would be a ordeal but could be fun..who knows.

Boiling bathwater in the mornings etc, in winter..

If you can get it for 50 that is probably too much unless you want it only as a summer cabin and a investment in the future.

Then spen 5k including furnace.. on it to bring it up to date "no more" or you are chasing good money for bad.

Then when time dictates doze it under and build something that is worthy.

50 is high but,,,,,,, crap people pay that for cars ...

Find out what the land is worth the house is probably worth 10K in my op.

Then do the math...

MAX
03-20-2010, 06:41 PM
My expert op after being involved in couple such love affairs.

"Expert" with no real knowlege as in layout of the land and roof quality substructure pipes etc...

The yearly taxes would be cheap but no matter what you do you are going to need space heaters in every room and that is a good money saving thing after you pay maybe $1500. for a furnace bla bla.

If you can find a way to rough it as they say and live thier full time it would be a ordeal but could be fun..who knows.

Boiling bathwater in the mornings etc, in winter..

If you can get it for 50 that is probably too much unless you want it only as a summer cabin and a investment in the future.

Then spen 5k including furnace.. on it to bring it up to date "no more" or you are chasing good money for bad.

Then when time dictates doze it under and build something that is worthy.

50 is high but,,,,,,, crap people pay that for cars ...

Find out what the land is worth the house is probably worth 10K in my op.

Then do the math...

Shoes,

You're welcome. :)

MAX
03-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Also Watch Out For ALL Of The CowBoy's Out There.

So, you were once Tony Romo's sloppy seconds also? Is your dick a racist too?

Cheap Is Not Always The Best.:D

Money Well Spent by Dan (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/house-music/58361-john-mayer-destroying-panama.html#post1441354) :D

thome
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Shoes,

You're welcome. :)
Maxthome!! I/we am trying to score here !

I think she will go internet out with us. ssshhhhhhh

I'm The sexy one .

or am I the handy one..?

let's settle this in the closet!!:hee:

MAX
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Maxthome!! I/we am trying to score here !

I think she will go internet out with us. ssshhhhhhh

I'm The sexy one .

or am I the handy one..?

let's settle this in the closet!!:hee:

Looks like I/we picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue?

thome
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Looks like I/we picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue?

Wear did you get that dress!!! And !! Those Shoes!!! Ohh.....

MAX
03-20-2010, 07:11 PM

I/we can make a hat or a broach or a teradactle... :D

http://whatitslikeontheinside.com/uploaded_images/Johnny-from-Airplane-790959.jpg

thome
03-20-2010, 07:12 PM

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lloyd.jpg

shoes!!! is asking for serious advise and all i want to know is can she get ahold of enough glue for to fix her abode.

MAX
03-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Just kidding...

http://s1.moviefanfare.com/uploads/2009/06/stephen-stucker.jpg

Sorry Shoes. :)

MAX
03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lloyd.jpg

We should use that pic as an avatar!!! :lmao:

thome
03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah I do this, I'm sorry, but I don't have any men to bounce ideas off of anymore, and this is definitely a guy thing.
sold.

Sorry for the insanity it's a guy thing....:) it is a cool place but to me only if the lady can handle some less than standard comforts.

thome
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
The steaks have been room temperaturizing for a hr I will grab them and perhaps we could get Shoes to throw them on the fire there in the living room and we can all be one with the glue..lol

Nice AV... my hair isn't that grey since I bought that stuff from the spray on hair dude on the TV..it's the paint that makes me sexy,

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Well a sense of humor is necessary to even think about this.

To answer a bunch of questions. There is an "owner's association" (not crazy about that idea.) They control the water, and since the pipes are PVC and above ground I don't think leaving it on is an option. I would want my own water source anyway. It does have a hot water heater already.

I have some background in this stuff; I was the kid of a lumber salesman who did a lot of contracting and remodeling at home. I can't tell ENOUGH without getting inside and under this place. The windows are good. The roof probably has another 5 years in it, and it looks like it's a single layer. The foundation supports underneath seem to be solid. There is not a lot of mold all over the outside and no rot visible. No shabbiness visible on the exterior, it really has been taken care of well. It was built in 1901, and I already lived as a single person in a house that was built in 1914. Been there, done that.

I think the property is priced higher than you'd expect because it's a half acre not far from the water, lots of people have boats up there, gorgeous views, stables, tennis courts and a whole bunch of shit I'd never use. 50K around here won't even buy you a tiny condo. One of the reasons I'd be looking at this is I can't begin to afford the smallest of houses.

As for DIY. Some of it, yes. I can do drywall and insulation. I can do some minor carpentry like primitive baseboards, chair-rails, moldings.....And of course painting. I would leave heating, piping (no jokes) and wells to the professionals obviously.

Budget? Well it's a pipe dream right now. I will need a job first obviously. I"d probably try and take a mortgage for about 70k. I could even try and rough it for the first year with the fireplace. Yes, I am the outdoorsy sort, and I actually picked this because it really IS the sort of place I want to live in. If I had more money, I'd build a log cabin - they really have some gorgeous plans these days.

Yes there will be bugs, meer cats, raccoons, and even the occasional brown bear.

I was kinda looking for ideas about where to place a furnace since there really isn't a place for it - given there's no basement. The hot water heater is in an alcove off the kitchen, and also there is a stall shower. No room there. Even thinking a pellet stove or woodstove might be a better way to go. And how to insulate under a floor, what to use etc.

twonabomber
03-20-2010, 07:43 PM
homeowner's assoc.

sounded good until i saw that. i will never buy into an area with a HOA. i'm sure they'd love my 20+ year old vehicles.

a couple guys i work with have pellet stoves to supplement their electric or gas heat. i think they make inserts for fireplaces, or it could be strategically placed to heat the whole house. i'll probably add one wherever i end up, i am looking for a place also. i want my Obama moneyz. :D

you've seen that small wood stove we have in the living room here. keeps that end of the house nice n' toasty but sometimes the bedroom side is a bit cooler. i think we have the thermostat set at 55, maybe 58. with my schedule i can keep the fire going during the day no problem. went through two truckloads of slab wood but it was a lot cheaper than fuel oil.

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
You're all crazy. I love it.

I maintain a pellet stove now where I"m staying. Have no idea where I"d store the massive pile of 40 lb bags. Loading the thing up breaks my back, but it does keep our heat bill down, and you can actually see flames, which is nice. Other friends have a woodstove. I like the look of that a lot better. It might be OK if had the fireplace down and a small woodstove up.

Or I could shut it all down in the winter and move in with my friends for 3 months a year. LOL.

thome
03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
There isn't a furnace in the crawl space under the front steps in picture 1..?

That is where I would put it then you could run duct work to every room easy.

If that is not possible you can run baseboard wall heaters in everyroom zone heating and use cieling fans to move that air around../ you can have them in electric or propane

twonabomber
03-20-2010, 09:11 PM
baseboards? electricity isn't getting any cheaper, i'd skip that idea. besides, if people do start to conserve and the utility companies see less profit they'll add more bullshit fees like delivery fees and nuclear decommissioning fees to make up the difference.

Dan
03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Maybe This Will Help.:D

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fjh4wBCqDf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fjh4wBCqDf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Candy Girl
03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
You're all crazy. I love it.

I maintain a pellet stove now where I"m staying. Have no idea where I"d store the massive pile of 40 lb bags. Loading the thing up breaks my back, but it does keep our heat bill down, and you can actually see flames, which is nice. Other friends have a woodstove. I like the look of that a lot better. It might be OK if had the fireplace down and a small woodstove up.

Or I could shut it all down in the winter and move in with my friends for 3 months a year. LOL.

A wood stove is messy with the logs leaving bits of moss, dirt etc. all over the floor and then there's the ash clean up. Also, do you want to chop wood and let it season for awhile? Oh yeah, they do produce heat, but it's relative to their position in the house. Unless you have a fan on it to force the air around, it is very hot where it is and the rest of the house is so-so. Then there is the thing where you have to get up in the middle of the night to add more wood to keep the fire going.

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
A wood stove is messy with the logs leaving bits of moss, dirt etc. all over the floor and then there's the ash clean up. Also, do you want to chop wood and let it season for awhile? Oh yeah, they do produce heat, but it's relative to their position in the house. Unless you have a fan on it to force the air around, it is very hot where it is and the rest of the house is so-so. Then there is the thing where you have to get up in the middle of the night to add more wood to keep the fire going.

Yeah, this is where the pellet stoves are somewhat nicer, They come with blowers and you can fill it enough so it will last for about a day and a half. although they too have to be cleaned out at least twice a week with a metal "shopvac". And lugging the bags around is a total BITCH. I'd want one on the second floor as well, and dragging 40 lb bags upstairs is not my idea of fun.

And chopping wood? Nope. Buy it, have it delivered. Many friends do it - buy at least a cord for the winter, and the really efficients ones don't have to be stoked during the night.

I wouldn't want baseboard heat. Being somewhat of a purist, they'd ruin the look of the place.

twonabomber
03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I maintain a pellet stove now where I"m staying. Have no idea where I"d store the massive pile of 40 lb bags. Loading the thing up breaks my back, but it does keep our heat bill down, and you can actually see flames, which is nice.

you need a Pellet Pail

The Pellet Pail - For every Pellet Stove Owner! (http://www.pelletbucket.com/)

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe This Will Help.:D

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fjh4wBCqDf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fjh4wBCqDf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Y'know, I really love that concept. I want a guy in a bunny suit attached to me at all times.

(and you say.......)

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 09:44 PM
you need a Pellet Pail

The Pellet Pail - For every Pellet Stove Owner! (http://www.pelletbucket.com/)

OK so you're lifting a 40lb bag INTO THE TUB, then LIFTING THE 40 lb TUB, pouring it in, or scooping. Genius.

Or you could just bring the bag in, open it with scissors, scoop the pellets into the stove until you can lift the bag easily, dump the rest in, and throw out the bag. Hmmmm. Seems there's one less step in there.

twonabomber
03-20-2010, 09:45 PM
okay, maybe you don't need one. :D

Sensible Shoes
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
I just need new hips and knees.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-21-2010, 12:04 AM

as a result of your sig, no doubt.;)

twonabomber
03-21-2010, 12:15 AM

you really make this too easy sometimes, you know? :D

GAR
03-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Y'know, I really love that concept. I want a guy in a bunny suit attached to me at all times.

(and you say.......)

uhhhh huhuhuhhuhuhuh~!!!!

GAR
03-21-2010, 03:48 AM
I'm thinking I'd put 30K into rehabbing this thing, but it's a full summer tour.

First you'd tear off the roof and put some 2x10 beams up or something strong enough to support 1/2" drywall, and recessed lighting in the bedroom at the very least if not throughout.

Second while you're doing that, beef up the foundation supports or actually dig out for a basement and retro those supports with blocked foundation walls one at a time but that may be too crazy.

After doing that, I'd put up a 4ft scrim of slate or brick round the exterior, changing out the shit glass for doubleglazed vinyl windows.

THEN you redo the walls with Romex, Cat 5 and cable wiring before the new insulation and drywall.

But I don't know about those exposed painted studs, they dont' look like the modern measure of 2x4 are they? If not I'd either replace what could be - I think when we built studios out of things like this the building code was: you don't tear out the stud, you simply toenail-in the modern 2x4s or 2x6's alongside it, adding fireblocks in between for support of the drywall mid-seam deadon at 48" horizontally, and the studs centered at 48 too..

PVC - gone.. go metal before sealing up those walls.

I'd have to put in a nice backhatched-cleaning slate fireplace of course, nothing like screwing in front of the fire bareassed on a sheepskin rug.

Lastly, the bath. That's got to go. Not your first priority obv but if I had one thought about it I have ten better..

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
you really make this too easy sometimes, you know? :D

Yes and that's why you all love me.

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2010, 07:42 AM
as a result of your sig, no doubt.;)

Hmmmm. No. I cannot continue to practice my sig because of the condition!

Frying Dutchman came up with that in my first thread after I came back. He thought I was a male troll because I started a Dave-Hair thread, just to be obnoxious. I asked him if he was the guy with a similar handle who practiced some VERY outlandish fetish stuff on the interweb. He called me a fetish obsessed cock gobbler. I agreed with him so he would like me better. Never say Shoes does not know how to win over the DLRArmy crowd.

:devils:

No doubt this will come back to haunt me when I launch my political career. ;)

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm thinking I'd put 30K into rehabbing this thing, but it's a full summer tour.

First you'd tear off the roof and put some 2x10 beams up or something strong enough to support 1/2" drywall, and recessed lighting in the bedroom at the very least if not throughout.

Second while you're doing that, beef up the foundation supports or actually dig out for a basement and retro those supports with blocked foundation walls one at a time but that may be too crazy.

After doing that, I'd put up a 4ft scrim of slate or brick round the exterior, changing out the shit glass for doubleglazed vinyl windows.

THEN you redo the walls with Romex, Cat 5 and cable wiring before the new insulation and drywall.

But I don't know about those exposed painted studs, they dont' look like the modern measure of 2x4 are they? If not I'd either replace what could be - I think when we built studios out of things like this the building code was: you don't tear out the stud, you simply toenail-in the modern 2x4s or 2x6's alongside it, adding fireblocks in between for support of the drywall mid-seam deadon at 48" horizontally, and the studs centered at 48 too..

PVC - gone.. go metal before sealing up those walls.

I'd have to put in a nice backhatched-cleaning slate fireplace of course, nothing like screwing in front of the fire bareassed on a sheepskin rug.

Lastly, the bath. That's got to go. Not your first priority obv but if I had one thought about it I have ten better..

Um Gar, the point of this is that I cannot afford a real house. And some of the stuff you want to scuttle is what makes the place charming, particularly the windows. For 100 year old relics, these things are in absolutely amazing shape.

I would agree that putting some kind of a basement under it and shoring up the foundation would be a good idea but might not be a worthwhile expense.

Keep in mind too, this place is an unofficial "historical site" and changing it out to be too modern is going to make it stick out like a sore thumb.

Igosplut
03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
If your really serious, and need second opinions I could probably bring a few people up to look at it for you..

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Wow J. that's nice. I would love you too, but will not even ask until the funds are available to really make something happen. Besides, it would be great to see you again!

Igosplut
03-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Wow J. that's nice. I would love you too, but will not even ask until the funds are available to really make something happen. Besides, it would be great to see you again!

Well if you can get to that point you let me know. I have a plumber and a carpenter that would be up for the road trip. Between me and them I'm sure we could help you out. Be my pleasure..

thome
03-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Shoes if Igo is close and seems to have buds and stuff than can help you....You don't not have any guy friends to bounce ideas off of... you got us, less than completely psychotic loonies and some friends close by.

I say like you have said if you get to the point you want to make a offer have Igo swing by, a extra pair of eyeballs always helps.

Rock on babe.

ZahZoo
03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
A serious response...

A pellet stove or external wood burning heating system is probably your best bet. When you mentioned no furnace the 1st thing I thought was... is there natural gas available on the property? If not the expense and permits to tap into a municiple source could get expensive fast.

Although depending on the size and if you were to insulate the hell out it... electric heating could be a viable option. But you'd have to fully insulate and seal it... plus probably upgrade all the windows and doors.

I'd suggest getting a real good expert evaluation on the water situation. Sounds like there's some available... but what's the quality? Then what's the cost to plumb it for year round usage.

Septic permits and perk testing should be on record with the county... if not, then that's another thing to have a professional check/test for... again, permits and construction expenses could be real high.

Sounds like a great potential place for the dogs and the life style you are interested in. Main thing is can you finance the upgrades to make it livable year round.

Good luck Shoes!!

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
As far as I know there is no natural gas in this whole area. Everybody has oil. And I'm just not used to that. I noticed that the hot water heater had propane tanks.

Come to think of it, my uncle had an exterior wood burning system, and he loved it. I should check it out.

A serious response...

A pellet stove or external wood burning heating system is probably your best bet. When you mentioned no furnace the 1st thing I thought was... is there natural gas available on the property? If not the expense and permits to tap into a municiple source could get expensive fast.

Although depending on the size and if you were to insulate the hell out it... electric heating could be a viable option. But you'd have to fully insulate and seal it... plus probably upgrade all the windows and doors.

I'd suggest getting a real good expert evaluation on the water situation. Sounds like there's some available... but what's the quality? Then what's the cost to plumb it for year round usage.

Septic permits and perk testing should be on record with the county... if not, then that's another thing to have a professional check/test for... again, permits and construction expenses could be real high.

Sounds like a great potential place for the dogs and the life style you are interested in. Main thing is can you finance the upgrades to make it livable year round.

Good luck Shoes!!

SparkieD
03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Before you decide, ask your agent what the original price was on the property. Chances are it was higher since it's been on the market a year. Also, ask if there's been much activity, how long the current owners have had it, and why they are unloading. All that should provide you enough insight on what kind of offer to make. You can even throw in a contingency that they help out with closing costs and/or repair. All of this can be tacked onto the contract price and escrowed from the seller's proceeds at closing.

Sometimes you can score big by asking the right questions. I just sold a fixer-upper where the seller paid ALL the buyer's closing costs ($8K) plus contributed $6K to repairs while still getting $2K less than their asking price.

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Sparkie are you an agent? Good perspectives.

The current owner has had it since 1979. My guess is she's getting older and can't handle it anymore. Many folks are offloading summer properties in the Summertime too.

GAR
03-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Um Gar, the point of this is that I cannot afford a real house.

The difference between this skeeter-shack and a real house, is about 30 sheets of drywall @ 7 ea. and 50 2x4 studs @ 2 ea. plus some inexpensive, beerfed labor.

I will not contribute (1) ounce of effort nor one swing of the hammer to get it there, however if you plan to enlarge the bath and put in marble flooring, I should like to push your soaped up naked flanks across it.

twonabomber
03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
just like everything else...all talk, no work. thanks for nothin', you fuckin' prick.