PDA

View Full Version : US to Canada: Please Don't Leave Afghanistan

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
U.S. asks Canada to stay in Afghanistan - Winnipeg Free Press (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/us-asks-canada-to-stay-in-afghanistan-89494362.html)

GATINEAU, Que. -- The United States dropped a diplomatic bombshell Monday and asked Canada to extend its military mission in Afghanistan.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made the request in a televised interview Monday on the eve of the Canadian-hosted G8 foreign ministers meeting near Ottawa.

"We would obviously like to see some form of support continue because the Canadian Forces have a great reputation," Clinton told CTV News.

But at a hastily called news conference Monday night, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon reiterated the government's position that it will withdraw all of its 2,800 troops from the southern province of Kandahar by July 2011, as Parliament has decreed.

"Let me be clear once again. Our military mission will end in 2011, " Cannon told reporters.

But he said the government is looking at non-military roles past that deadline.

Speculation has been rife about what Canada would do in Afghanistan after 2011. The government has said recently that all military options are off the table, including combat, further training of Afghan forces and maintaining a provincial reconstruction team in Kandahar.

The Opposition and analysts have called for a public discussion on what Canada could do in Afghanistan after 2011. Training the Afghan National Army is one possibility because the NATO-led mission has a shortage of such military instructors.

Moreover, training enough Afghan soldiers and police officers to competently protect their people is key to eventually bringing home all Western troops from Afghanistan.

Clinton said the post-2011 mission could be different from the combat role Canada is currently waging in Kandahar Province, the spiritual heartland of the Taliban.

"There's all kinds of things that are possible. The military could slip more into a training role than into a combat role," she said.

Michael Ignatieff quickly dismissed Clinton's request, saying any renewal of Canada's mission in Afghanistan "is out of the question."

"With all due respect to Mrs. Clinton ... it's not for Mrs. Clinton to tell us how to use our troops. It's for the Parliament of Canada to decide," the Opposition Leader told CTV News.

Clinton's request came one day after President Barack Obama made a surprise visit to Afghanistan and chided President Hamid Karzai over the long-standing concerns of corruption in his fragile, Western-backed government.

One of Canada's NATO allies, Norway, also piled on Monday, telling The Canadian Press that arbitrary withdrawal dates don't reflect the reality on the ground in Afghanistan.

"We have great sympathy with the losses Canada has taken and the impression that has made on the people of Canada," Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store said in an interview.

"We have gone in with NATO and we will go out with NATO in accordance with agreement with the Afghan authorities. We have not fixed a date. Our troops will not stay there one day longer than necessary but fixing a date is not something we will do."

Earlier Monday, Clinton criticized Canada for its one-day summit of Arctic coastal countries, which only five foreign ministers were invited to. She skipped Monday's closing news conference after saying she'd been contacted by indigenous groups disappointed they were not invited.

She also said Arctic states Sweden, Finland and Iceland were similarly concerned they were given the cold shoulder.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
I give the Canucks credit, or at least one guy, when one of their own die....

Don Cherry, he usually of the loudmouth variety on "Hockey Night in Canada", makes a point to show a picture of the fallen soldier and give a brief bio of him/her, and it usually chokes him up a little....

You barely get any airtime at all nowadays when ours are killed in combat....

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 03:37 PM

Don Cherry, he usually of the loudmouth variety on "Hockey Night in Canada", makes a point to show a picture of the fallen soldier and give a brief bio of him/her, and it usually chokes him up a little....

In fact, wasn't NightLine and Ted Koppel chastised for doing just that with our fallen in Iraq?

I think Canada has done its share, and then some.

If they want to leave, we shouldnt be putting pressure on them to stay.

:gulp:

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I believe that was when the "no photos" policy at Dover was still in effect. I believe that's been reversed now....

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
'Nightline' war dead list causes uproar - Television commercial contest- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4864247/)

Nitro Express
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQhM7voma8A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQhM7voma8A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Satan
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Nugent's version of that song was weak. Try this one.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VlRUIHwygc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VlRUIHwygc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
04-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Nugent's version of that song was weak. Try this one.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VlRUIHwygc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VlRUIHwygc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's one ugly school girl!:biggrin:

Please don't go Canada please don't go! Please don't go back to the great white north stay in the sand. Let's steal oil, ehem, I mean nation build together!

hideyoursheep
04-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Jesus, lave Canada alone, Hillary! It's not their war to begin with. Let them take their 2800 troops and go home.

Help me understand something here...

The US gave the Taliban and AQ a 2 month heads up, yet Saddam Hussein got 48 hours...Am I right?

Now, nearly 9 years later....:rolleyes:

Fuck...:mad:

Angel
04-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Repatriation ceremonies of our fallen soldiers are televised or photographed if the family wants. They tried to stop showing pictures of our fallen soldiers caskets being returned, but the families raised a huge stink.

We now have what is called the "Highway of Heroes",:Highway of Heroes: For Canada?s Fallen Soldiers Repatriated from Afghanistan (http://modern-canadian-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/highway_of_heroes)part of the route the casket travels upon return. HUNDREDS come out and line the route to show their respect. It is only if the family requests no media that it is not shown. I cry every single time. We've lost a lot of great young men over there, and for what - we have our own oil and we don't need their poppies - we have BC Bud.

Angel
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Earlier Monday, Clinton criticized Canada for its one-day summit of Arctic coastal countries, which only five foreign ministers were invited to. She skipped Monday's closing news conference after saying she'd been contacted by indigenous groups disappointed they were not invited.

She also said Arctic states Sweden, Finland and Iceland were similarly concerned they were given the cold shoulder.

I agree with her 100% on this one!!!

Nitro Express
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Jesus, lave Canada alone, Hillary! It's not their war to begin with. Let them take their 2800 troops and go home.

The US gave the Taliban and AQ a 2 month heads up, yet Saddam Hussein got 48 hours...Am I right?

Now, nearly 9 years later....:rolleyes:

Fuck...:mad:

The wars are getting dumber and longer. WWII lasted six years and Vietnam lasted ten. This war on terror will go on much longer. You would think the war on terror would be kind of like the cold war. An intelligence and spy war but it's really about war profiteering and securing oil reserves so we can blackmail the Asians into buying our debt so we can continue to run the war machine so we can continue to blackmail the Asians. It's a stupid cycle and failing. It's basically divided the world between NATO and the Singapore Cooperative.

hideyoursheep
04-05-2010, 07:19 AM
The wars are getting dumber and longer.... and Vietnam lasted ten. No, the US was involved for 10. It was much longer. ...That's another thread in itself.

An intelligence and spy war but it's really about war profiteering and securing oil reserves so we can blackmail the Asians into buying our debt so we can continue to run the war machine so we can continue to blackmail the Asians.

Hell, that should be easy! We've already conned every other nation on the planet, including China, to produce for 12 cents an hour what we used to produce here!

But you already knew that, right?

jacksmar
04-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Understand this you ignorant mother fucker:
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20090330/160_ott_funeral_2_090330.jpg

hideyoursheep
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Understand what, turd? A picture of a Canadian soldier's casket? Make a point.

Pussy.

Nickdfresh
04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah, um. WTF was your point, Papsmar?

hideyoursheep
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Papsmar

:lmao: