PDA

View Full Version : It was 29 years ago today....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
I was a junior in high school, had just come home from school, turned on the TV, and saw this;

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDIVheB5kIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDIVheB5kIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It wasn't for quite a while after it happened did we realize how close Reagan came to dying that day....

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Remember it well.

18 and living in my first apartment across from Green Lake.

Felt sorry how James and Sara Brady were treated in the aftermath with regards to The Brady Bill.

:gulp:

chefcraig
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
The two things I remember most about that day were Alexander Haig calming the nation by stating that he was now in charge (somehow miraculously jumping up two places in the line of succession), and ABC's Frank Reynolds having a meltdown on nationwide tv over some dubious reporting.

I'm pretty sure that James Brady recalls things a bit differently, though. :(

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
That's right.... Didn't they erroneous say that Brady had died ??

chefcraig
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
That's right.... Didn't they erroneous say that Brady had died ??

Yeah, it was a mess. Reynolds was a close friend of the family, so you can imagine his outrage and anguish now. At the time however, it was really disquieting to people.

Satan
03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Alexander Haig, that son of a bitch.....

He hadn't been in Hell for even an hour before he called a press conference and told the media he was "in control here".

I doubt he'll try that again, since I gave him 666 days of pooper scooper duty in the dragon barn. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Gotta love Haig for his "I'm throwing my helmet into the ring" campaign kickoff.

chefcraig
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Gotta love Haig for his "I'm throwing my helmet into the ring" campaign kickoff.

Say what you will about the guy, but he was dead-on in his assessment and complaints about George H. W. Bush. Unfortunately, it only took nearly a couple of decades for him to be proven correct.

Satan
03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Perhaps General Haig knew of the BCE - Hinkley family connections even then. I'll have to remember to ask him about that.

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
We really need to start a game of SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION FROM THE BCE

Bet I could get there in 4

chefcraig
03-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Perhaps General Haig knew of the BCE - Hinkley family connections even then. I'll have to remember to ask him about that.

Of course Haig knew about Bush's shady history, hell it was his campaign platform. I vividly remember him calling out the Bush for his role in Iran Contra, among other things.

kwame k
03-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I remember the aftermath with all the crazy reports about Hinkley and his obsession with Jodie Foster and Taxi Driver.....can you imagine being Jodie and having to deal with all the media attention.

Brady was a tragedy but people often forget two other people were injured. Thomas Delahanty and Tim McCarthy were also shot. Delahanty had to retire due to his injuries.

I remember Haig's douche bag remarks and how he tried to spin into he meant he was in charge at the White House until Bush got there.....fucking moron.

sadaist
03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
and ABC's Frank Reynolds having a meltdown on nationwide tv over some dubious reporting.

Fast forward to about the 4:10 mark here. Weird. Brings back the memories of that day.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aGUrBfp8G2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aGUrBfp8G2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
And ya gotta have some Ted Koppel....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1Ek9jQmV1c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1Ek9jQmV1c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Always loved Nightline.

The irony here is it was started to track the Iranian Hostages' treatment, and progress getting them released.

Which was accomplished by Ronnie cutting a deal trading them for Arms

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
This scene was obviously inspired by Ronnie's telling of the doctor "I hope you're a Republican"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/99q_rcbTfb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/99q_rcbTfb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Satan
03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I remember the aftermath with all the crazy reports about Hinkley and his obsession with Jodie Foster and Taxi Driver.....can you imagine being Jodie and having to deal with all the media attention.

Just imagine the conversation had Hinkley been successful....

HINKLEY: Jodie, I just killed the President for you!

FOSTER: Er, uh.... that's nice.... Hey, you got a sister? :eatit:

I mean, for Hell's sake, if you're going to kill a President to impress some chick, at least pick one who is even capable of being attracted to you. :biggrin:

kwame k
03-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Ouch....no one said Hinkley was the sharpest tack on the board :)

chefcraig
03-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Always loved Nightline.

The irony here is it was started to track the Iranian Hostages' treatment, and progress getting them released.

Saturday Night Live did a brilliant parody of the Nightline treatment with a young Eddie Murphy portraying Buckwheat, who was assassinated. Joe Piscopo plays Ted Koppel.

param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/LzaD4DKLsYNPbHa1wma0gg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I mean, for Hell's sake, if you're going to kill a President to impress some chick, at least pick one who is even capable of being attracted to you. :biggrin:

Why does Savicki's obsession with Laura Branigan suddenly come to mind?

Seshmeister
03-30-2010, 08:44 PM

Was that not Bill Clintons slogan?

LoungeMachine
03-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Was that not Clintons slogan?

Shrillary's??

I believe her's was I'm throwing my dick into the ring

Come to think of it, so was Bill's

Seshmeister
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Zah becoming a grandparent... :)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Saturday Night Live did a brilliant parody of the Nightline treatment with a young Eddie Murphy portraying Buckwheat, who was assassinated. Joe Piscopo plays Ted Koppel.

That was hilarious !! 2nd best SNL lineup behind the original....

Seshmeister
03-30-2010, 08:51 PM

Shrillary's??

I believe her's was I'm throwing my dick into the ring

Come to think of it, so was Bill's

Got me before I realised I had to clarify my brilliant gag... :)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
This scene was obviously inspired by Ronnie's telling of the doctor "I hope you're a Republican"

"She booted all over the back of her car. You know they're gonna make me pay for that..."

Seshmeister
03-30-2010, 09:16 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/99q_rcbTfb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/99q_rcbTfb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Great stuff but stretching credibility to almost Independance Day levels. :)

I remember an ER doctor telling me about the Reagan shooting and how when he arrived the fairly junior doctor on duty went to call his senior doctor and Reagans Secret Service guys made him hang up without talking to him.

The insisted that Reagan was treated exactly like any other gunshot victim and calling the senior consultant would have broken that protocol.

The idea behind this is/was that they had done research prior to the shooting and decided that ER acting differently treating the president as a special case could be dangerous to him.

Not sure if that policy is still in place now you have a black president... :)

Baby's On Fire
03-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Just one more inch...and a few litres of blood...and the USA could have once again been great.

Instead you got 7 more years of devastating Reaganonomics....

If only John Hinckley was a better shot.

LoungeMachine
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
If only he had had his glass of orange juice without the vitamin C....

Baby's On Fire
03-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Or just one inch to the right....

Alas....We were stuck with George Sr......Well...What do I give a fuck?.....I'm not a Yankee...Just commentary...nothing more.

Maybe if Ronnie was dusted he would have been a real legand,...instead of a right wing douche bag monolith who did nothing more than destroy the once-great USA....Ronnie was the start of the decline of a great nation...He was a fucking douche bag.

Tits on a bull...no offense to bulls

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Just one more inch...and a few litres of blood...and the USA could have once again been great.

Instead you got 7 more years of devastating Reaganonomics....

classy post, but I expected nothing less from the resident inbred canuck.

Lemme add that if the president had been killed, I gurantee the us gov't would have panicked and blaimed it on Russia, and the nukes would have flown.

the world would be a giant smouldering crater.

Baby's On Fire
03-31-2010, 12:31 AM
LMAO

An in-bred-Canuck

Coming from the Land of people who voted for Chimpy (t6wice) and now who support Sarah Palin...

I fucking love it...an affirmation of my extreme superiority of fucking dumbass Americans (not that that says a lot)

25 % think Obama is the Anti-Christ? Or a Terra-ist?

Right.....God Help America....Forget about blessing

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 12:35 AM
LMAO

In in-bred-Canuck

Coming from the Land of people who voted for Chimpy and now who support Sarah Palin...

I fucking love it...an affirmation of my extreme superiotity of fucking dumbass Americans (not that that says a lot)

Whats a matter, an American come down to Ontario and steal your girl?

according to my buddy up north, theres plenty of morons up in the land of beer, hockey and gretsky. ;). He also says you're a bigot.

Have you ever been to America? You sound like you're just judging us all on what you read either in some bullshit poll or on jerry springer repeats they show up noth while you sit on your ass collecting welfare.

Tards on fire back, ladies and gents.

Baby's On Fire
03-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Nope...Just another dumbass Yankee....For my amusement.

Your "response" says it all...empty and defensive....weak and tell-tale.

Another in-bred hillbilly with no argument whatsoever...Just Sarah Palin and Tea Bag rheotoric....which of course is meaningless drivel.

But the best part is I don't give a shit....The USA mess has no effect on me and never will...Other than entertainment.

What a fucked up country

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Nope...Just another dumbass Yankee....For my amusement.

Your "response" says it all...empty and defensive....weak and tell-tale.

Another in-bred hillbilly with no argument whatsoever...Just Sarah Palin and Tea Bag rheotoric....which of course is meaningless drivel.

But the best part is I don't give a shit....The USA mess has no effect on me and never will...Other than entertainment.

What a fucked up country

LOL, yup, I'm a hillbilly

dad went to college, and I'm attending college as well, live in a nice house and am registered democrat. But yup, I'm toothless hick inbred.

shows how much of a moron you truly are.

Oh and I think Palins a moron too.

I'm just calling you out on your bullshit buddy, every last one of your shitty ass posts are used to baselessly attack Americans, and when someone calls you out on it, you just insult them with more baseless insults.

I have no problem with someone being critical of the US gov't, be they foriegn or american. My main problem is someone like you who brings no facts to the table and when confronted crawls back into a corner and just starts flinging insults.

Baby's On Fire
03-31-2010, 12:55 AM
Enter a topic...and I will bring facts...Or I will concede to not knowing enough about the topics to not be able to bring facts...

Listen...you started the uneducated and uninformed bullshit...If you want to go there...let's go there....Otherwise..be careful where you start a battle and shut the fuck up.

You began the personal attacks...and I'll blow you off the board if you want to have an intelligent discussion..

All the Canuck bullshit....I know more about US politics and foreign policy than you will ever know...If you wanna challenge that...bring it on.

Blackflag
03-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Just one more inch...

I'll blow you

Probably not the first time he's said that.

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Enter a topic...and I will bring facts...Or I will concede to not knowing enough about the topics to not be able to bring facts...

Listen...you started the uneducated and uninformed bullshit...If you want to go there...let's go there....Otherwise..be careful where you start a battle and shut the fuck up.

You began the personal attacks...and I'll blow you off the board if you want to have an intelligent discussion..

All the Canuck bullshit....I know more about US politics and foreign policy than you will ever know...If you wanna challenge that...bring it on.

No dude.

you pull this shit all the time

the secound someone even says one thing to question you on something, you immediatly respond with the same bullshit insults. Been documented time and time again.

Stereotyping Americans as being inbred morons, simply because a president you didn't like is in the white house is idiotic. It would be like me basing what I felt of Canadians on that old Monty python skit.

Now, explain to me what good assassinating reagan would have done? You do realize that at the time the US was at one of the higher moments in the Cold War and to achieve Ronnies dying wish of nuking the commie bastards, thats probably what would have happend. Cooler heads would not have prevailed.

I'm not educated in American politics? when you were approached with what you would have done to solve the problems of the Bush administration, all you came back with was "Uh..use a time machine".

sadaist
03-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Coming from the Land of people who voted for Chimpy (t6wice)

Not if you ask Ford.

who support Sarah Palin...

Only enough to keep her from falling off the bed.

25 % think Obama is the Anti-Christ?

73.4% of all statistics are fabricated.

Blackflag
03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Only enough to keep her from falling off the bed.

:yum:

GAR
03-31-2010, 01:41 AM
No dude.

you pull this shit all the time

the secound someone even says one thing to question you on something, you immediatly respond with the same bullshit insults. Been documented time and time again.

Nice callout!

LoungeMachine
03-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Enter a topic...and I will bring facts....

Unless it's about orange juice having no Vitamin C

:lmao:

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 02:20 AM
keep bringing it up.

if he's so convinced he's better than all of americans here and that we're all idiots doomed for failure, why even bother following american politics and giving his opinion? Sort of a pointless pursuit.

It is funny though, whenever he is asked what he would do to improve the US, he backs out and just gets his flux capacitor out.

Seshmeister
03-31-2010, 04:43 AM

A quick examination for Mr Honours student.

1) Who takes over if the president dies in office?

2) Who would that have been in this case?

Supplementary

A person appears every few weeks late on a Tuesday night and posts aggressive uninformed nonsense on a message board apparently drunk.

Are they likely to be

a) A Rocket Scientist
b) A professor in US politics and foreign policy at the University of Clever Canadian
c) Working in a shop and getting the start of the week off in lieu of the weekend?

Cheers!

Nickdfresh
03-31-2010, 08:00 AM

So, did you vote for the Tories? (otherwise known as ultraconservative American expatriates who couldn't live without King George) Because I'm pretty sure the last time I checked, they still run Cananananada...:)

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 10:17 AM

Supplementary

A person appears every few weeks late on a Tuesday night and posts aggressive uninformed nonsense on a message board apparently drunk.

Are they likely to be

a) A Rocket Scientist
b) A professor in US politics and foreign policy at the University of Clever Canadian
c) Working in a shop and getting the start of the week off in lieu of the weekend?

Cheers!

rack it.

sesh. cleans house yet again.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM

Actually, the bullet that hit Reagan was a deflection off the limo...

Anonymous
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Don't bother, guys... He's gone back to hiding.

He'll be back in a couple of weeks, when he believes no one remembers him any more - or when HE doesn't remember he's been here (more likely) - and post more angry bullshit.

When someone calls him out on it, he'll claim to be able to back up his allegations with a shit ton of facts but won't, because the caller outer is an ignoramus & has attacked him.

Then he'll get his arse whooped again & go back to hiding.

He'll be back in a couple of weeks, when he believes no one remembers him any more - or when HE doesn't remember he's been here (more likely) - and post more angry bullshit.

When someone calls him out on it, he'll claim to be able to back up his allegations with a shit ton of facts but won't, because the caller outer is an ignoramus & has attacked him.

I think you got the idea.

Cheers! :bottle:

PETE'S BROTHER
03-31-2010, 01:02 PM

Supplementary

Are they likely to be

a) A Rocket Scientist

Cheers!

a) should be rocket surgeon, no?:biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
I was laying in the orthodonist chair when Reagan got capped.

Blackflag
03-31-2010, 01:53 PM
http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/62519582db239a58

Anonymous
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
a) should be rocket surgeon, no?:biggrin:

As in a dude/tte who performs surgery on rockets?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
As in a dude/tte who performs surgery on rockets?

that is correct, pimad.:biggrin:

Anonymous
03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Pi, what?

Have I just been insulted?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-31-2010, 02:54 PM
the p is silent, and the d is for the dyslexics.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/website-related-discussion-webmaster-feedback/58496-move-main-non.html

Anonymous
03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Oooohhh...

All right, then. Carry on.

hideyoursheep
04-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Enter a topic...and I will bring facts...

I know more about US politics and foreign policy than you will ever know..

But the best part is I don't give a shit....

Yeah, it shows.:rolleyes:

So does your ass when you let it out of your maple leaf covered diaper.

Shouldn't you be debating whether or not to let French-Canadians speak French?

But I'll take you up on your challenge on "facts" about the US' foreign policy-you know, that country you want yours to be so badly that you "don't give a shit" about.

Challenge accepted.

:poke:

hideyoursheep
04-02-2010, 06:01 AM
See, the real problem here is no one genuinely pays any attention to Canada, and it bugs the mustard shit out of Baby's A Cunt.

Does he work for Avis?

:lmao: