PDA

View Full Version : The Garden Thread

Little Texan
04-04-2010, 12:55 AM
I just got through planting the Spring garden this evening, and I planted a few Celebrity tomatoes, Anaheim peppers, a green bell pepper plant, jalapeno peppers, and some crookneck squash. I'm not done planting, either, as I'm planning to also plant some green beans, eggplants, okra, purple hull peas, and maybe some corn. Anyone else here at the Army growing a garden this year?

conmee
04-04-2010, 01:44 AM
I was just checking in to see if this was a serious thread...

That is all.

Icon

Little Texan
04-04-2010, 01:51 AM
I was just checking in to see if this was a serious thread...

That is all.

Icon

Yes, 'tis serious, but I'm expecting the usual joker to chime in that they're growing marijuana.

conmee
04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I've got a neighbor who's been posting shots of tomatoes and lettuce (cash crops other than weed in Cal)...

Good luck on the gardening, I don't have a yard in the institutio... um, apartment complex I live in... but check out these flowers that were blooming outside my front door a couple weeks ago when temps were in the 80s...

That is all.

Icon

Susie Q
04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I honestly tried last year and didn't do bad for my first real trial run. I had peppers, tomatoes, squash, peas, chives, parsley, oregano, beets, and sage. When I bought this property it all ready had scallions and garlic growing like crazy. Plus all kinds of rose bushes, flowering trees, lilies...etc...

Not saying I am a green thumb, but I try.

pIcon...:biggrin: fuckin' A...:tongue0011:

conmee
04-04-2010, 02:00 AM
BTW Tex,

Nice Bug, looks like a Super Beetle, but hard to tell... my first was a '67 1300cc 6volt, did the whole refurb dropped in a 1835 12v conversion kit, put huge woofers in the back and lowered the thing... SoCal in the 80s, baby!!!

That is all.

Icon©®™

Little Texan
04-04-2010, 02:06 AM
BTW Tex,

Nice Bug, looks like a Super Beetle, but hard to tell... my first was a '67 1300cc 6volt, did the whole refurb dropped in a 1835 12v conversion kit, put huge woofers in the back and lowered the thing... SoCal in the 80s, baby!!!

That is all.

Icon©®™

Thanks, Icon!

It's not a Super, but a '72 Standard Beetle with the stock 1600 engine.

Dan
04-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Did You Put Down Any Weed Mat?

Dan
04-04-2010, 02:50 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6UN4XdXDzE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6UN4XdXDzE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Little Texan
04-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Did You Put Down Any Weed Mat?

No, but I might use some pine straw for mulch. I have plenty of pine trees on my place, thus plenty of pine straw.

Hardrock69
04-04-2010, 03:06 AM
If I was going to grow plant life, I would love to grow the sort of thing that is AGAINST THE LAW.

As it is plainly against the law, and considering I have worked hard all my fucking life just to get where I am, there is no fucking way in hell I am growing SHIT.

Last thing I want is to lose my house and everything I own due to the efficiency of "The Man".

My main concern at this time, with the onset of spring, is spring cleaning, and checking out areas where I am trying to KILL plant life (Dandelions, thorn bushes, poison ivy vines, etc.), NOT grow it! As with any home, there is always a massive list of things that need to be done, even without doing anything that men with badges don't like, lol.

Dan
04-04-2010, 04:48 AM
LT,You Need Some Bug Spray Too.:D

Sensible Shoes
04-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I just take care of somebody else's garden for them - and spend most of the time picking up shit.

I have great PLANS for a garden when I get my next place. But I always have the issue of the garden INSIDE the fence - which essentially has to be in hanging pots and baskets or vines on fences - and the garden OUTSIDE the fence which can be anything you want it to be. Unfortunately, veggies grown outside a fence are sitting ducks for the local wildlife. Inside the fence, they're sitting ducks for the dogs. Nothing like a tomato after Nelson's lifted his leg on it.

Dan
04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yaSo9QBQAHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yaSo9QBQAHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D

sadaist
04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't plant vegetables. I have a several fruit trees. Peach, apricot, lemon, orange, tangerine, fig, and plum. Fig tree is awesome! The whole thing turns into Clash of the Titans for local life. Little bugs get the ones on the ground, big bugs get the upper fruits. Small birds also go for the upper fruits. But then really big birds come in for the giant bugs. I mean huge bugs. June beetles and praying mantis especially. Ever seen a praying mantis 7" inches long? Scary as fuck. That tree just gets fucking crazy.

Other than the trees I try to grow gardenias. Fucking hardest thing to grow in the world. But when you get em flowering, the smell totally covers the whole yard and wafts into the house from all the windows.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/mantis1.jpg

Sensible Shoes
04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
up the worm juice!!!!

Nitro Express
04-05-2010, 04:46 AM
I live at 6,300 feet above sea level. It was snowing yesterday. I won't be planting anything until June. We pretty much have a three month growing season here. I grow my own lettuce and spinach. I grow tomatoes in our sun room. One problem is rabbits and moose. The moose eat everything including all the new aspen trees I planted on my property. If a moose finds your garden here, it's gone and you would have to build a cage of steel bars to protect it. A little fence or some chicken wire isn't going to keep them out.