PDA

View Full Version : Forty years on, Vatican tells Beatles: We love you, yeah, yeah, yeah

FORD
04-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Forty years on, Vatican tells Beatles: We love you, yeah, yeah, yeah

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9: 06 PM on 11th April 2010

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/11/article-0-053C42280000044D-850_468x368.jpg

The Vatican has forgiven The Beatles on the 40th anniversary of their break-up - as sex scandals continue to rock the Catholic Church.

Absolving the British group of their excesses involving 'drugs and blasphemy', the Vatican's newspaper L'Osservatore Romano hailed them as a 'precious jewel'.

In a front-page article, it said: 'It's true they took drugs, lived life to excess because of their success, even said they were bigger than Jesus and put out mysterious messages, that were possibly even Satanic.
The Beatles

Forgiven: The Beatles (from left, George Harrison, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney) during their first U.S. tour in 1964. The Vatican has called them a 'precious jewel'

'They may not have been the best example for the youth of the day but they were by no means the worse. Their beautiful melodies changed music and continue to give pleasure.

'Thirteen albums changed the history of popular music and there is little else to add. The Beatles were the most famous and acclaimed band in the world.'

The newspaper said 'dozens of bands had been inspired by them and groups still produce cover versions of their songs' and that their 'long-lasting phenomenon would remain music history'.

The decision to heap praise on the group in the middle of a series of sex-abuse scandals raised eyebrows among commentators.

One said: 'With all that is going on within the Church, to write about The Beatles instead of focusing on the scandal of abusive clergy does seem rather odd.'

Two years ago the Vatican forgave John Lennon for saying The Beatles were bigger than Jesus Christ, saying it was the 'boasting of an English working-class lad struggling to cope with unexpected success'.

FORD
04-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Well My Sweet Lord..... It's about damn time! :biggrin:

Jesus Christ
04-12-2010, 03:39 AM
A big AMEN to that, My son! :jesuslol:

Coyote
04-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Pedos dishing out forgiveness to rock'n'roll legends... Who would've thought? :biggrin:

Anonymous
04-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Indeed, C... the Vatican may have forgiven the Beatles, but does the one remaining Beatle forgive the Vatican for being a paedophile cluster?

Cheers! :bottle:

Seshmeister
04-12-2010, 06:31 AM
The Vatican Beatles Top 10

10) "Money (That's What I Want)"

9) "Sweet Little Sixteen (Is just a bit too old)"

8) "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"

7) "Do You Want to Know a Secret"

6) "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Cardinal"

5) "Here Comes the son"

4) "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby"

3) "Your Mother Should Know"

2) "Got To Get You Into My Vestry"

1) "Norwegian Wood (This Kid Has Blown)"

Coyote
04-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Indeed, C... the Vatican may have forgiven the Beatles, but does the one remaining Beatle forgive the Vatican for being a paedophile cluster?

Isn't Ringo still alive'n'kicking?

FORD
04-12-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wynYMJwEPH8

(shameless excuse to test the new improved video embed function...)

Anonymous
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Isn't Ringo still alive'n'kicking?

Well, as I write this, maybe. But who knows? Maybe he isn't by the time I click "Post Quick Reply".

Not that me clicking the button or not has anything to do with Ringo maintaining his alive status, of course.

FORD
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Not only is Ringo still alive, he's even paying attention to the news......

Ringo Starr: 'Vatican has more to talk about than the Beatles'
By Phil Han, CNN

London, England (CNN) -- The Vatican may have forgiven the Beatles over the weekend for their "satanic" messages -- but Ringo Starr, the legendary band's drummer, says he couldn't care less.

In a tribute published to mark the 40th anniversary of the breakup of the band, who singer John Lennon once claimed were "more popular than Jesus," the Vatican newspaper "L'Osservatore Romano" said it had forgiven them and called them a "precious jewel."

But Starr told CNN: "Didn't the Vatican say we were satanic or possibly satanic -- and they've still forgiven us? I think the Vatican, they've got more to talk about than the Beatles."

Starr was speaking to CNN's Becky Anderson about the launch of his latest solo album called "Y Not," which was released in January.

"I was sitting around in LA and I went on the synth and just got some rhythm patterns with some chords I enjoyed and then drummed to that," Starr said.

"We had no song and we just played something and kept it moving and that's how it all happened."

The album is Starr's 15th album as a solo artist.

Starr also responded to allegations that he had asked his fans to "back off" and explained why he no longer signs autographs.

"I just said to fans that I'm not signing anymore," Starr said.

"That what it was, it wasn't back off, I'm not a vicious man. I don't sign anymore, people say sign this and I just say no."

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/04/12/ringo.starr.vatican.beatles/index.html?hpt=C2

Anonymous
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Ha! Take THAT, Vatican!

Wonder if they know who Ringo Starr is?

Panamark
04-19-2010, 04:34 AM
kill the pope
kill the pope
kill the pope
kill the pope

go into the vatican and grab him out of bed
put a noose around his neck and hang him till he's dead

kill the pope
kill the pope
kill the pope
kill the pope

Anyone remember this obscure Thrash (or was it Death) Metal masterpiece ?

Seshmeister
04-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Richard Dawkins I think... :)

Panamark
04-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Interesting character... Just read a little about him...

If you are an atheist, this dude provides plenty of arguments ....

Maybe it was him Sesh - bashing away on drop D......