PDA

View Full Version : George Tenet to become the fall guy for BCE fuckups

FORD
06-03-2004, 11:27 AM
WASHINGTON (AP)- CIA Director George Tenet, who weathered storms over intelligence lapses about suspected weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, has resigned, pResident Bush said Thursday.

"I will miss him," Bush said.

Tenet came to the White House to inform Bush about his decision Wednesday night. "He told me he was resigning for personal reasons," Bush said. "I told him I'm sorry he's leaving. He's done a superb job on behalf of the American people."

Bush said that deputy, John McLaughlin, will temporarily lead America's premier spy agency until a successor is found. Among possible successors is House Intelligence Committee Chairman Porter Goss, R-Fla., a former CIA agent and McLaughlin.

"He's been a strong and able leader at the agency. and I will miss him," Bush said of Tenet as he got ready to board Marine One for a trip to Andrews Air Force Base, Md., and on to Europe.

"George Tenet is the kind of public servant you like to work with," the pResident added. "He's strong, he's resolute. He's served his nation as the director for seven years. He has been a strong and able leader at the agency. He's been a strong leader in the war on terror."

"I send my blessings to George and his family and look forward to working with him until he leaves the agency," Bush said.

And then we'll find him floating in a river with a bullet hole in his forehead like Daddy's old friend Bill Colby

Tenet had been under fire for months in connection with intelligence failures related to the U.S.-led war against Iraq, specifically assertions the United States made about Saddam Hussein's purported possession of weapons of mass destruction, and with respect to the threat from the al-Qaida terrorist network.

In May, a panel investigating the Sept. 11 attacks released statements harshly criticizing the CIA for failing to fully appreciate the threat posed by al-Qaida before the terrorist hijackings. Tenet told the panel the intelligence-gathering flaws exposed by the attacks will take five years to correct.

During his seven years at the CIA, speculation at times has swirled around whether Tenet would retire or be forced out, peaking after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 and surging again after the flawed intelligence estimates about Iraq's fighting capability.

Even when his political capital appeared to be tanking, Tenet managed to hang on with what some say was a fierce loyalty to Bush and the CIA personnel. A likable, chummy personality, also helped keep him above water.

Conventional wisdom had been that Tenet, who was appointed by President Bill Clinton, did not plan to stay on next year, no matter who won the White House. Tenet has been on the job since July 1997, an unusually lengthy tenure in a particularly taxing era for the intelligence community that he heads.

Tenet is the son of Greek immigrants who grew up in Queens, N.Y.

Some close to Tenet have said the job overseeing more than a dozen agencies that make up the intelligence community has been taxing for him. He suffered heart problems while at the National Security Council during the Clinton administration, although a CIA official said his resignation was not health related.

On Capitol Hill, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., called Tenet "an honorable and decent man who has served his country well in difficult times, and no one should make him a fall guy for anything."

FORD
06-03-2004, 04:43 PM
DISCLAIMER: I do not neccessarily believe the following story. But it's one HELL of an interesting theory....

www.thoughtcrimenews.com

Tenet, Powell and Armitage to go - EXCLUSIVE

25th May 2004 - Update

by Simon Aronowitz

Sources close to the Bush administration have informed ThoughtCrimeNews that CIA Director, George Tenet, Secretary of State, Colin Powell and Deputy Secretary of State, Richard Armitage, will be forced to resign their positions, possibly before the end of this week.

Whilst some would consider Tenet, Powell and Armitage to be team players in George W Bush's administration, our sources advise us that in fact these three have been caught out on something for which there can be no reconciliation.

As yet, the media are largely unaware of the recent events involving these three characters, namely a plot to assassinate President Bush and Vice-President Cheney as well as Speaker of the House, J Dennis Hastert and Senate President Pro Tempore, Ted Stevens. In the event that these four individuals were to be killed, the next in line to the US Presidency would be none other than the Secretary of State, currently Colin Powell. :eek:

Should these resignations take place, as we expect, in the coming days, the pre-emptive publication of this story will serve to illustrate that our sources have provided us with sound information, not only of the impending departures but also the reason for them.

Any thoughts? ;)

Dr. Love
06-03-2004, 05:24 PM
whaaaa?

No way.

FORD
06-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I think this one is deep in the Reynolds Wrap myself, but you're gonna shit if Colin & Armitage resign, right? ;)

Dr. Love
06-03-2004, 07:41 PM
I probably will.

Dan
06-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Bush will miss him like a bullet to the head.

FORD
06-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Yep. Considering Reagan's CIA man Bill Casey died of a mysterious "brain tumor" (before he could testify in the Iran Contra hearings) and, as previously mentioned, Poppy's director Bill Colby was found face down in a river, with a chunk of his forehead missing, odds are very good that George Tenet's "time with his family" won't be too long.

The info he has might even be more incriminating than that of his late predecessors.