PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Americans to Mars within his lifetime

kwame k
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – President Barack Obama predicted Thursday his new space exploration plan would lead Americans beyond the moon and to Mars within his lifetime. "I expect to be around to see it," he declared.

Obama's bold prediction was an answer to critics, including several former astronauts, that his changes would deal a staggering blow to the nation's manned space program.

Speaking at the Kennedy Space Center, where America's moon missions originated decades ago, Obama said he was "100 percent committed to the mission of NASA and its future." He outlined plans for federal spending to bring more private companies into space exploration following the soon-to-end space shuttle program.

"We want to leap into the future," not continue on the same path as before, Obama said as he sought to reassure NASA workers that America's space adventures would soar on despite the termination of shuttle flights.

Obama acknowledged criticism for his drastic changes to the space agency's direction. But, he said, "The bottom line is: Nobody is more committed to manned space flight, the human exploration of space, than I am. But we've got to do it in a smart way; we can't keep doing the same old things as before."

Obama said that by 2025, the nation would have a new spacecraft "designed for long journeys to allow us to begin the first-ever crewed missions beyond the moon into deep space."
"We'll start by sending astronauts to an asteroid for the first time in history. By the mid-2030s, I believe we can send humans to orbit Mars and return them safely to Earth. And a landing on Mars will follow," he said.

Obama said the space program is not a luxury but a necessity for the nation.
He noted that the Kennedy Space Center has inspired the nation and the world for half a century. He said NASA represents what it means to be American — "reaching for new heights and reaching for what's possible" — and is not close to its final days.

Obama sought to explain why he aborted President George W. Bush's return-to-the moon plan in favor of a complicated system of public-and-private flights that would go elsewhere in space, with details still to be worked out.

"We've been there before," Obama said of the nation's moon landings decades ago. "There's a lot more of space to explore."

He said his administration would support continued manned exploration of space "not just with dollars, but with clear aims and a larger purpose."

The Obama space plan relies on private companies to fly to the space station, giving them almost $6 billion to build their own rockets and ships. It also extends the space station's life by five years and puts billions into research to eventually develop new government rocket ships for future missions to a nearby asteroid, to the moon, to Martian moons or other points in space. Those stops would be stepping stones on an eventual mission to Mars itself.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_space;_ylt=AoNKbrxMZQGsiX.qDNmqKIOs0NUE;_ ylu=X3oDMTNmNzgwdmNxBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwNDE1L3VzX2 9iYW1hX3NwYWNlBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMwRw b3MDMTIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2 xrA29iYW1hYW1lcmljYQ--)

kwame k
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
This is good news......since we are a nation of explorers this is awesome.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I agree. Definitely a good use of all the money we have sitting around collecting dust.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Geez, BF with a negative view, who would of thought.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Who's negative? I'm serious. Since we've already solved all the problems on earth, like cancer and homelessness...what else are we going to do with all this time and money on our hands? Let's go be trillion dollar space tourists! Big pimping, for sure.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 04:49 PM
That's probably what your pappy said when JFK made his speech about going to the moon.

MAX
04-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Even though I'd love nothing more to use this as an opportunity to rip on Barry some more, I cannot. I mean going to Mars would be ok but I don't see the point with everything else as fucked up as it is? I think we should try fixing where we reside before we venture off and start fucking up another planet with platinum credit cards and sneakers with lights in 'em. JMHO.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
That's probably what your pappy said when JFK made his speech about going to the moon.

I don't think my pappy or your pappy has anything to do with Obama or Mars. But if you're asking me what I think about going to the moon, I think NASA has been an obscene multi-trillion dollar money pit. But I did get to touch a moon rock in the Air & Space Museum, and that was just cool as shit.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
He's talking about private companies taking up some of the slack and I agree when we are struggling as a nation and money could be spent elsewhere...... but exploration is what made us what we are and exploring space can reap benefits, too.

Imagine the first country that finds life on another planet or a habitable planet.

The other thing is about minerals, companies are already looking into mining the moon.

binnie
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
So, there's oil on Mars?

kwame k
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
No, if that was the case we would of invaded it during Bush's term :biggrin:

Can't find the exact article about it but here's one..........
Scientists in the US and Russia have discovered a new mineral in a rock from the Moon. The mineral - which they have called "hapkeite" - is made of iron and silicon, and was probably formed by the impact of micrometeorites on the lunar surface. The result sheds new light on how soil can be formed on airless bodies in the Solar System, like the Moon and Mercury (M Anand et al. 2004 Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 101 6847).Link (http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/19439)

PETE'S BROTHER
04-15-2010, 05:11 PM
they have also made great strides in the swimming habits of tadpoles out there. w.....t.....f....?

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/9-12/features/F_Animals_in_Space_9-12.html

kwame k
04-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Believe me I'm not defending all the waste that they have done in the past but exploration and discoveries are part of human nature.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
So is war. Let China go explore Mars, and we can loan them the money to do it.

Man, I hate China. During the olympics, there was a big Tibet/anti-china protest here in Yakima, and I showed up with my "China is Dogshit" sign. There were Chinamen everywhere.

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Who's negative? I'm serious. Since we've already solved all the problems on earth, like cancer and homelessness...what else are we going to do with all this time and money on our hands? Let's go be trillion dollar space tourists! Big pimping, for sure.

You do know that the world wide web that allows you to make that post came from research into particle physics at CERN?

People like you would have been against the space race in the 1960s which now allows people like you to have GPS and everything else.

In fact fuck it I'll look it up for you.

NASA Spinoffs with Practical Applications

Under the Space Act of 1958, NASA has had a mandate to share all the information it has gained with the public. Here are a few of the practical applications that have resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:

* CAT scans
* MRIs
* Kidney dialysis machines
* Heart defibrillator technology
* Remote robotic surgery
* Artificial heart pump technology
* Physical therapy machines
* Positron emission tomography
* Microwave receivers used in scans for breast cancer
* Cardiac angiography
* Monitoring neutron activity in the brain
* Cleaning techniques for hospital operating rooms
* Portable x-ray technology for neonatal offices and 3rd world countries
* Freeze-dried food
* Water purification filters
* ATM technology
* Pay at the Pump satellite technology
* Athletic shoe manufacturing technique
* Insulation barriers for autos
* Image-processing software for crash-testing automobiles
* Holographic testing of communications antennas
* Low-noise receivers
* Cordless tools
* A computer language used by businesses such as car repair shops, Kodak, hand-held computers, express mail
* Aerial reconnaissance and Earth resources mapping
* Airport baggage scanners
* Distinction between natural space objects and satellites/warheads/rockets for defense
* Satellite monitors for nuclear detonations
* Hazardous gas sensors
* Precision navigation
* Clock synchronization
* Ballistic missile guidance
* Secure communications
* Study of ozone depletion
* Climate change studies
* Monitoring of Earth-based storms such as hurricanes
* Solar collectors
* Fusion reactors
* Space-age fabrics for divers, swimmers, hazardous material workers, and others
* Teflon-coated fiberglass for roofing material
* Lightweight breathing system used by firefighters
* Atomic oxygen facility for removing unwanted material from 19th century paintings
* FDA-adopted food safety program that has reduced salmonella cases by a factor of 2
* Multispectral imaging methods used to read ancient Roman manuscripts buried by Mt. Vesuvius

Read more at Suite101: Practical Applications of Space Technology: Discoveries and Developments by NASA and Their Benefit to Society http://space-exploration.suite101.com/article.cfm/practical_applications_of_space_technology#ixzz0lC qs4CvY

Studies show that every dollar put into scientific research returns 15. The only chance of your country having anything left to export to the world than entertainment and wars in the future is through science and technology.

People like you may prevent that but don't worry there are plenty of other countries happy to step up to the plate...

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 05:43 PM
You do know that the world wide web that allows you to make that post came from research into particle physics at CERN?

And that's what they tell Europeans so they'll support space and defense funding. They tell us it was invented at DARPA. It's all PR. Trust me, I'm very well aware of research funding and the fruits that come from it. And NASA is a waste.

resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:

And what does "resulted from" mean, when we're talking PR-speak? NASA claims the microwave oven came from NASA. Then a guy at Raytheon (?) said he invented it, and it had nothing to do with the space program.

DARPA says it invented the internet. CERN says it did. Al Gore says he did. The ethernet protocol was invented by a guy at Xerox - and Xerox has nothing to do with space exploration.

MRI? It was invented by an MD who had no connection to NASA. http://www.ehow.com/about_4599974_who-invented-mri.html Though, I think the initial concept actually went back to research in Eastern Europe, if I remember - which, again, has nothing to do with NASA or CERN.

Anything good that NASA claims came from the space program is either: a) bullshit, b) has nothing to do with space and could just as easily been developed on the ground, or c) was flat-out developed by researchers who aren't interested in space.

Studies show that every dollar put into scientific research returns 15. The only chance of your country having anything left to export to the world than entertainment and wars in the future is through science and technology.

I am 100% behind research funding. Every dollar spent on Goldman Sachs should have been spent on technology companies and technology education. You're right - that's the best ROI. What I'm against is then burning that research money on fruitless bullshit who's end result is putting an American flag on Mars and taking a picture.

You think inventing new medical imaging technologies like MRI is awesome? The best way to do that is to devote funding to medical research. Not spending money watching how frogs fuck in space and hoping somebody happens to dream up something useful at the same time.

Clueless fuck.

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I think from now on you should sign all your posts 'Clueless fuck', it saves time for newbies.

Your post demonstrates your ignorance not least in that you don't even know the difference between the internet and the world wide web.

Yet another topic where you are totally out your depth.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Insightful response.

Bottom line - if you want useful and profitable inventions here on earth, there are any number of universities and companies you can fund. And plenty of people looking for work. The least effective way to do that is to fly to Mars first and keep your fingers crossed that something useful comes of it.

BigBadBrian
04-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Even though I'd love nothing more to use this as an opportunity to rip on Barry some more, I cannot. I mean going to Mars would be ok but I don't see the point with everything else as fucked up as it is? I think we should try fixing where we reside before we venture off and start fucking up another planet with platinum credit cards and sneakers with lights in 'em. JMHO.

Agreed. With current technology, it would take 2.5 years for a manned craft/rocket/shuttle/whatever to reach Mars.

That means a whole lotta Billions are going to need to be sunk into research and development before that Mars Mission happens.

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Insightful response.

Bottom line - if you want useful and profitable inventions here on earth, there are any number of universities and companies you can fund. And plenty of people looking for work. The least effective way to do that is to fly to Mars first and keep your fingers crossed that something useful comes of it.

Yours sincerely

Clueless Fuck

Fixed.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Fixed.

Again, great response. I guess that means you reached the end of the road on your CERN PR knowledge.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
shit, first sesh deletes posts and threads of ace's. now he's hacking bf's account? who gave him all these powers?:hee:

BigBadBrian
04-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Sesh, space research is fine...and should be continued (although I do believe some of the items claimed on your list are utter bullshit) but we need balance to this... we need some of that money to pay on the accelerating deficit Obamacare is going to wreak on this country. Americans haven't seen real debt yet...but they will.

Hillary Clinton 2012!!!! At this point she's ahead of Barry in polls for the 2012 Democratic Primary. Now if we can just get her to quit boozin' it up at State, resign, and run. :gulp:

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Sesh, space research is fine...and should be continued (although I do believe some of the items claimed on your list are utter bullshit) but we need balance to this... we need some of that money to pay on the accelerating deficit Obamacare is going to wreak on this country. Americans haven't seen real debt yet...but they will.

Hillary Clinton 2012!!!! At this point she's ahead of Barry in polls for the 2012 Democratic Primary. Now if we can just get her to quit boozin' it up at State, resign, and run. :gulp:

Stop spending 65% of our budget on our military would be a good first step.........

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Again, great response. I guess that means you reached the end of the road on your CERN PR knowledge.

I can't be fucked arguing with you on a 'the sky is not blue' issue.

Tim Berners-Lee came up with the idea of the world wide web, designed it and implemented it whilst he was at CERN.

That's all there is to it.

Use it to look up the facts.

BigBadBrian
04-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Stop spending 65% of our budget on our military would be a good first step.........

Who would protect the free world then, Scotland?

Better yet, let's get the 50% of the income earning public that don't pay taxes to START paying taxes. Yeah, I'd support that goddamned tax increase. You betcha I would. People wonder why more people aren't involved with our government, don't vote, or outright don't give a fuck: they have no vested interest, no stake, in America! I'm not suggesting anything drastic....just something to get them off the sidelines and into the game.

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Who would protect the free world then, Scotland?

Protect it from what? Protect it from whom?

Anyway with a 65% cut you would still be spending far more than anyone else.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
The real question is why you think we have to save the free world and exactly who are we saving it from? Terraist........:lmao:

BigBadBrian
04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
implemented it whilst he was at CERN.

I think it's funny as hell when you island people use "whilst" instead of "while." :killer:

sadaist
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
This is good news......since we are a nation of explorers this is awesome.

And you believe him? Mars within his lifetime and Guantanamo closed within a year. Yeah, sure.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I can't be . . . arguing with you

Clearly.

Tim Berners-Lee came up with the idea of the world wide web, designed it and implemented it whilst he was at CERN.

Well, fuck me. That's worth a trillion dollars right there. Because nobody does any computer science work unless there's space exploration to piggyback on!

Oh, wait a second... his work didn't have anything to do with space exploration, did it? Remind me what your point was again?

So tired of assholes spewing their pro-government talking points they copy and paste off the internet without actually thinking about what they're writing.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah, the space program and computers were totally unrelated........:umm:

Jesus Christ
04-15-2010, 06:31 PM
shit, first sesh deletes posts and threads of ace's. now he's hacking bf's account? who gave him all these powers?:hee:

It wasn't Me! :jesuslol:

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
And you believe him? Mars within his lifetime and Guantanamo closed within a year. Yeah, sure.

I know it's crushing........who would of ever thought that a President wouldn't keep ALL of his campaign promises.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
It wasn't Me! :jesuslol:

Am I the only one tired of this fucking retard's schtick? I can't be, can I? Speak up.

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
I know it's crushing........who would of ever thought that a President wouldn't keep ALL of his campaign promises.

"ALL?"

Has he kept any?

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:37 PM
"ALL?"

Has he kept any?

.....and you post this question on April 15th.........come on now, Captain Stupid!

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
.....and you post this question on April 15th.........come on now, Captain Stupid!

Meaning what? The only break I got on the taxes was the deduction for sales tax on a new car.

Thanks for helping pay for my new car, btw...suckers.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Bullshit........

BigBadBrian
04-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Am I the only one tired of this fucking retard's schtick? I can't be, can I? Speak up.

I second that motion. FORD, can the jesus-imitation crap!

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Bullshit what? I did get a new car - what's so unbelievable about that?

How do you think that lying cocksucker lowered my taxes?

PETE'S BROTHER
04-15-2010, 06:46 PM

not tryin' to speak for ford, but i'm sure the jesus-imitation can crap.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-15-2010, 06:46 PM
oh. you weren't askin' a question, my bad.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Bullshit what? I did get a new car - what's so unbelievable about that?

How do you think that lying cocksucker lowered my taxes?

So how much did you have to pay this year in taxes then?

kwame k
04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Wait, my bad........Congrats on becoming the new leader of your movement and getting a new car http://www.gaywheels.com/gaywheels_gets_a_new_leader.htm

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Clearly.

Oh, wait a second... his work didn't have anything to do with space exploration, did it? Remind me what your point was again?

Government sponsored blue skies science where you don't know where exactly you are going has given huge benefits to mankind at a relatively low cost.

I'm sorry if it's confusing, I keep making unrealistic assumptions about your intelligence.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 07:02 PM
:biggrin:

Blackflag
04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
So how much did you have to pay this year in taxes then?

Fifty and change, and nothing to show for it but this sore ass.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Maybe next time you mount your Boyfriend :biggrin:

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM

With free healthcare at the point of need you could get someone to take a look at that.

sadaist
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Well, considering Guantanamo was a MAJOR part of Obamas campaign, and a large reason so many of you hopenchangers voted for him, you'd think he would have kept that promise. As for keeping ALL of his promises, I'm trying to think of just one.

Barack does not want America to be great. He wants us to be equal & friends with the whole world. He seems embarrassed by the fact that we are (were) a super power. Ashamed of the fact that we won most of the wars we have been involved in, and capable of winning any war. Ashamed that some people work really, really hard, catch a few lucky breaks and get rich. The nerve. Disappointed that some of us would like to take our family on a vacation with our hard earned money instead of donating all of that money to the guy down the street that can't pay for his house. How dare we enjoy our money when our neighbor is in dire straits with his? How dare we buy a television with the money we work hard for while people who choose not to work can buy a new car, house, or squeeze out another kid they can't afford.

I don't blame Obama. Nor am I "afraid" of what he may or may not do to the country. Barack is just one man, a fool. I am much more fearful that the country is filled up with enough fools that voted for him and are still blindly waiting for "Obama to take care of me".

And having to pay Russia for a ride into space is appalling and far beneath the United States Of America. Good job!

Guitar Shark
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
What a bunch of crap.

LoungeMachine
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Well, considering Guantanamo was a MAJOR part of Obamas campaign, and a large reason so many of you hopenchangers voted for him, you'd think he would have kept that promise. !

Horseshit.

Wasn't "major' by any stretch, and how the fuck would you know why anyone voted for him?

:gulp:

Very Palin-esque post.....

Jesus Christ
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM

To be a "Christian" means to be like Christ, My son. Verily then, if FORD is imitating Me, then is that not what he should do?

Now, as for this whole Mars thing.....

Don't you mortals thinketh you should stop screwing up the planet ye have, before ye try to takeover another one?

Seshmeister
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I like that FORD posts as the Jesus character.

I think the Christians on the board should treat it as the word of god. Why not? What's the difference between his posts and those in the bible? God may be speaking through FORD. Maybe he's speaking through me to tell you he is speaking through FORD.

Woooo....

At least FORD isn't some bronze age goat herder. I think you should make him a saint or some shit. Revere him.

How about a statue? Some of the catholic folk should see if someone can get him to send a toenail and you could build a shrine to it and then make some money for your local community.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Sesh you may be anti-Christian and that's fine but everyone knows Jesus Christ is not FORD........get a clue dude.

Next thing you'll be saying is he's Satan, too. :)

Jesus Christ
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Sesh you may be anti-Christian and that's fine but everyone knows Jesus Christ is not FORD........get a clue dude.

Next thing you'll be saying is he's Satan, too. :)

Ye accuse me of being Lucifer, the prince of devils?
Verily I say unto you that if Satan cast out Satan, then how would his kingdom stand?

Terry
04-15-2010, 10:39 PM

It is crucial we successfully land a manned mission to Mars.

There's a martian there, goes by the name of Marvin, and he is currently planning to blow up the Earth with his Uranium P-32 explosive space modulator.

kwame k
04-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Verily I say unto you that if Satan cast out Satan, then how would his kingdom stand?

Very funny, Lord......you know I had trouble with story problems in school.

I think I got it.......the train arrives in New York at noon?

Terry
04-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Jesus, what a pill.;)

jhale667
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM

There's a martian there, goes by the name of Marvin, and he is currently planning to blow up the Earth with his Uranium P-32 explosive space modulator.

Actually, it's his "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator". ;)

http://degoodstuff.com/images/uploads/logos/2009/marvin_the_martian_jackets.jpg

We obstruct his view of Venus, y'know.

Blackflag
04-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Government sponsored blue skies science where you don't know where exactly you are going has given huge benefits to mankind at a relatively low cost.

I'm sorry if it's confusing, I keep making unrealistic assumptions about your intelligence.

NASA isn't "blue skies science," and it's not "low cost." So you've still lost track of what the topic is here.

Blackflag
04-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Maybe next time you mount your Boyfriend :biggrin:

So did you have a point, by the way? Or did you forget why you asked how much tax I pay?

MAX
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Mmmmmmmm.... Yes..... Very interesting.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cwxc_zLH560&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cwxc_zLH560&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

K, Terry, I'm now sold. :)

However and promise me this, if I have total recall, keep that cunt Sharon Stone and her ice pick far away from me. :eek:

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
NASA isn't "blue skies science," and it's not "low cost." So you've still lost track of what the topic is here.

Relatively low cost.

The US spends over 40 times more on 'defence' than it does on NASA.

Eg each B-2 stealth bomber costs the US taxpayer roughly $2.2 billion. The New Horizons robotic mission to Pluto, which will answer fundamental questions about the solar system, was nearly canceled for lack of funds. The total cost of the New Horizons mission, including the launch vehicle, added up to $650 million. In other words, the New Horizons mission to Pluto cost less than a third the cost of a single B-2 bomber.

Blackflag
04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Inflation adjusted cost of NASA is $851 BILLION.

Comparing to an even bigger waste of money is pointless. And it's not "blue skies science."

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/11/big-bailouts-bigger-bucks/

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

Maybe if inflation was at 100000000000000%

It's about $18 billion.

Blackflag
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Cite?

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Why can't you type 'NASA Budget 2009' into google without coming up with $851 billion?

I think the Yakima internet is broken. :)

http://www.nasa.gov/news/budget/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Budget#Annual_budget.2C_1958-2009

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/rewrite/budget/fy2009/nasa.html

http://www.ventureoutsource.com/contract-manufacturing/trends-observations/2008/the-17-6-billion-2009-nasa-budget

Blackflag
04-16-2010, 07:04 PM
And if you add up all those numbers in the right column of your Wiki page, what you get? $851B for Tang and some really cool pictures.

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/31/AR2010013101058.html

NASA budget for 2011 eliminates funds for manned lunar missions

No one will be following in Buzz Aldrin's footsteps under the new budget, which effectively ends plans for lunar flight by 2020.

By Joel Achenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, February 1, 2010

NASA's grand plan to return to the moon, built on President George W. Bush's vision of an ambitious new chapter in space exploration, is about to vanish with hardly a whimper. With the release Monday of President Obama's budget request, NASA will finally get the new administration's marching orders, and there won't be anything in there about flying to the moon.

The budget numbers will show that the administration effectively plans to kill the Constellation program that called for a return to the moon by 2020. The budget, expected to increase slightly over the current $18.7 billion, is also a death knell for the Ares 1 rocket, NASA's planned successor to the space shuttle. The agency has spent billions developing the rocket, which is still years from its first scheduled crew flight.

It remains to be seen whether Congress will accede to Obama's change in direction. Industry insiders expect a brutal fight in Congress. The early reaction to media reports about the budget request has been filled with howls of protest from lawmakers in districts that would be most affected by a sharp change in strategy.

Obama's budget, according to a background briefing by an administration official on Sunday, will call for spending $6 billion over five years to develop a commercial spacecraft that could taxi astronauts into low Earth orbit. Going commercial with a human crew would represent a dramatic change in the way NASA does business. Instead of NASA owning the spacecraft and overseeing every nut and bolt of its design and construction, a private company would design and build the spacecraft with NASA looking over its shoulder.

Former NASA administrator Michael Griffin, who championed the Constellation program, views the Obama budget as disastrous for human space flight.

"It means that essentially the U.S. has decided that they're not going to be a significant player in human space flight for the foreseeable future. The path that they're on with this budget is a path that can't work," Griffin said, anticipating the Monday announcement.

He said that, although he pushed for seed money for commercial cargo flights to space, he doesn't believe that the commercial firms, such as SpaceX and Dulles-based Orbital Sciences, are ready to take over the risky and difficult job of ferrying human beings to orbit.
ad_icon

"One day it will be like commercial airline travel, just not yet," Griffin said. "It's like 1920. Lindbergh hasn't flown the Atlantic, and they're trying to sell 747s to Pan Am."

John Gedmark, executive director of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation, said the critics underestimate the maturity of the commercial sector.

"The Defense Department began using commercial rockets a long time ago to launch priceless national security satellites, that our troops' lives depend on. If the Pentagon can trust private industry with this responsibility, we think NASA can, too," Gedmark said.

White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said Sunday, "The president is committed to a robust 21st-century space program, and his budget will reflect that dedication to NASA. NASA is vital not only to spaceflight, but also for critical scientific and technological advancements. The expertise at NASA is essential to developing innovative new opportunities, industries and jobs. The president's budget will take steps in that direction."

The administration estimates the new funding for the commercial program would create up to 1,700 jobs, which could help offset the expected loss of 7,000 jobs in Florida when the space shuttle is retired next year.

Although the Obama budget would give NASA a boost of more than $1 billion a year, it's not nearly as much as the $3 billion a year that a president-appointed panel said last year would be necessary for NASA to pursue a worthwhile human space flight program. The panel, headed by retired aerospace executive Norman Augustine, was harshly critical of NASA's strategy, saying that Constellation didn't have nearly the funds to meet its stated goal of a 2020 moon landing, particularly if the space station were to be kept operational.

The panel favored a new strategy for NASA in which returning to the moon would be just one possible element of a broader capacity to launch astronauts beyond low Earth orbit. No human beings have ventured farther than such an orbit since the last Apollo moon landing in 1972.

The public announcement of NASA's new direction will culminate more than a year of closed-door strategizing. That should end Monday with a series of press conferences, interviews and the messages contained in the budget itself.

Nickdfresh
04-16-2010, 08:43 PM

People like you would have been against the space race in the 1960s which now allows people like you to have GPS and everything else.

In fact fuck it I'll look it up for you.

People like you may prevent that but don't worry there are plenty of other countries happy to step up to the plate...

Yep! And don't forget the Tang™ and freeze dried ice cream. That shit is the bomb!

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 08:47 PM
NASA is the US greatest achievement.

I feel sorry for people like BF who don't have the imagination and curiosity to appreciate that.

Nickdfresh
04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
And that's what they tell Europeans so they'll support space and defense funding. They tell us it was invented at DARPA. It's all PR. Trust me, I'm very well aware of research funding and the fruits that come from it. And NASA is a waste.

I'm a bit skeptical of that...

And what does "resulted from" mean, when we're talking PR-speak? NASA claims the microwave oven came from NASA. Then a guy at Raytheon (?) said he invented it, and it had nothing to do with the space program.

I don't recall ever hearing of NASA making that claim. They may well have popularized it, but I think soldiers and airmen were heating their food up next to radar dishes long before that. But then again, radar was developed via massive gov't spending in WWII...

DARPA says it invented the internet. CERN says it did. Al Gore says he did. The ethernet protocol was invented by a guy at Xerox - and Xerox has nothing to do with space exploration.

Al Gore never said "he did." He was given some award by scientists for sponsoring funding of research while in the Senate though.

Anything good that NASA claims came from the space program is either: a) bullshit, b) has nothing to do with space and could just as easily been developed on the ground, or c) was flat-out developed by researchers who aren't interested in space.

Yeah, I guess the acceleration of the technology and research of miniaturizing more and more powerful electronics directly corresponding to the Space Program are all "bullshit," eh "expert?"

...Clueless fuck.

My, how chocked full of facts you are...

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.helium.com/items/1145478-history-of-the-microwave-oven

History of the microwave oven

The origins and history of the microwave oven are quite interesting for history buffs, science enthusiasts, cooks, and those who follow space exploration, alike.

It really began in the 1950's when scientists were exploring various wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum. At that point, though the science was in its infancy, scientists knew quite a bit about many parts of the spectrum like radio, ultraviolet, infrared, x-ray, and gamma ray, for instance. Relatively little work had been done on microwaves, however, except as a carrier wave for communications.

At the time, men of science really didn't see any other useful aspect to the narrow band of microwave radiation. Indeed, for communications, it worked really well.

As so often happens, there was an accident that occurred that was to change the potential ideas for microwaves. In a laboratory that happened to have a couple low intensity microwave transmitters set up for testing purposes, a scientist happened to walk in front of a transmitter. At the time, he had a Hershey's chocolate bar in his pocket. To his amazement, the chocolate melted, in the wrapper, and without any nearby heat sources.

The scientist was involved with both NASA and JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratories), and all of this happened just prior to the Gemini space program. He didn't see the relevance at the time, but he soon would.

At the urging of then president Kennedy, the space program continued. Gradually, the Apollo program was put on the drawing table, with the goal of putting man on the moon. One of many problems that had to be worked out, though, was the problem of food.

They'd already figured out that in a weightless environment, food must be contained. They had also figured out how to vacuum pack the food. But we aren't talking about a simple jaunt around the block. The trip would take days going and coming. Expecting astronauts to subsist on peanut butter and jelly, in tubes, was pretty rough and not something they were keen on. The preference was to find a way to heat a meal, even if it was sucked out of a tube.

Enter our former scientist collaborator. When he caught wind of what NASA was trying to do, he reported what had happened to him, the microwave projector, and his chocolate bar. It didn't take long for NASA to confirm that such a projector did indeed heat substances, especially fats and waters.

The first microwave oven was born, for use on the Apollo missions. They had to find ways to shield it, and back then that led to some bulky additions. After all, people are made of mostly water, and they sure didn't want to have the astronauts getting boiled alive. But the shielding was done and microwave oven was successful.

As NASA has always done, the technology was shared with the outside world, once it was proven successful. Several manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon, realizing the potential of the microwave oven.
At first, the commercial microwave ovens were very bulky and heavy, and much of the shielding was made of lead and other heavy elements. These were similar to what NASA used. They aren't that way anymore, because it was found that the heating properties of microwaves occur on a very small bandwidth, and this doesn't require the heavy shielding that was originally used.

Now we have fairly light and portable microwave ovens. Once again, the US space program came through in an unexpected way, and as a result, we have microwave ovens, which are now used in households worldwide.

Nickdfresh
04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Inflation adjusted cost of NASA is $851 BILLION.

Comparing to an even bigger waste of money is pointless. And it's not "blue skies science."

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/11/big-bailouts-bigger-bucks/

You mean the total cost of NASA since its inception is roughly the same cost as two FYI of the U.S. Defense Budget? Really? Are you this much of a fucking twat with your head up your ass? Do you realize how much of a direct and indirect return we've had for that money?

Nickdfresh
04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Why can't you type 'NASA Budget 2009' into google without coming up with $851 billion?

I think the Yakima internet is broken. :)

http://www.nasa.gov/news/budget/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Budget#Annual_budget.2C_1958-2009

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/rewrite/budget/fy2009/nasa.html

http://www.ventureoutsource.com/contract-manufacturing/trends-observations/2008/the-17-6-billion-2009-nasa-budget

Because he's a dummy male escort for ex-CIA directors that lacks fundamental critical thinking skills and a failure to understand nuance...

Terry
04-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Actually, it's his "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator". ;)

http://degoodstuff.com/images/uploads/logos/2009/marvin_the_martian_jackets.jpg

We obstruct his view of Venus, y'know.

Hey, considering I pulled that phrase from a memory of seeing the damn cartoon thirty-odd years ago, a slight misquote was to be expected, m'kay, Mr. PB-fucking-S? ; )

BigBadBrian
04-17-2010, 06:51 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00708/Space_1C_585x350_708242a.jpg

ZahZoo
04-17-2010, 09:30 AM

You and a few others need to step back take a good look at near history to grasp what Sesh pointed out was the most prolific advancement of technology and innovation that occurred in history. Spawned from the Space Race of the 50's thru 70's all of this advancement that enables a good portion of modern life today was mostly derived from the space programs. All of it was achieved with expensive/wasteful controversial wars going on... economic downturns, record deficits, civil rights movements, oil embargos, cold war crap and a miriad of other shit that seemed logical to scrap funding on space exploration when we had more pressing terestrial problems on the ground. But somehow we managed thru all that...

The greatest strength of the US and portions of western Europe in the last 50 years has come from innovation. It's still an area where America holds an edge on the rest of the world. I can think of no better investment than space exploration to continue this leadership and frankly it will result in more positive effects on human life than any other investment here on the ground.

Seshmeister
04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Completely spot on.

Plus these fuckwits seem to have no curiosity about the universe or their place in it.

http://www.kennylandes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/hubble_pillars.png

Nickdfresh
04-18-2010, 04:35 AM
You're sounding a bit mystic Sesh. Bad atheist! :)

Cheers with beers

:guzzle:

BigBadBrian
04-18-2010, 07:24 AM
You and a few others need to step back take a good look at near history to grasp what Sesh pointed out was the most prolific advancement of technology and innovation that occurred in history. Spawned from the Space Race of the 50's thru 70's all of this advancement that enables a good portion of modern life today was mostly derived from the space programs. All of it was achieved with expensive/wasteful controversial wars going on... economic downturns, record deficits, civil rights movements, oil embargos, cold war crap and a miriad of other shit that seemed logical to scrap funding on space exploration when we had more pressing terestrial problems on the ground. But somehow we managed thru all that...

The greatest strength of the US and portions of western Europe in the last 50 years has come from innovation. It's still an area where America holds an edge on the rest of the world. I can think of no better investment than space exploration to continue this leadership and frankly it will result in more positive effects on human life than any other investment here on the ground.

Nowhere did I say I was against space exploration. Quite the contrary actually if you'll read my posts. However, like everything else in today's free-for-all spending and a runaway deficit, well-defined goals must be brought to light so needless spending doesn't occur. NASA wants to go to the moon but Obama says Mars. NASA was forging ahead with the Constellation/Ares I & V rocket program to replace the space shuttle fleet and then Obama cancels it. All that money for R&D for that program down the drain. That's the kind of waste of tax dollars I'm referring to. We just can't afford that kind of waste anymore. Our NASA dollars, just like everything else, needs to be spent wisely.

Nickdfresh
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
But you're all for pissing away going on $500 trillion a year in military spending. Spending that even forces the USAF to buy cargo planes they don't need or want...

http://www.oc180news.com/article/West_Orange_County_Features/The_Boeing_Company/C17_Defenders_Suffer_Stinging_Blow_from_Secretary_ of_DefenseRound_3/18738

ZahZoo
04-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Completely spot on.

Plus these fuckwits seem to have no curiosity about the universe or their place in it.

http://www.kennylandes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/hubble_pillars.png

They're too busy fighting for control of this speck of dust in this end of the universe to realize how insignificant we are in the bigger picture of life in the universe...

SunisinuS
11-12-2011, 06:18 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/cain-criticizes-obama-space-exploration-165435922.html

ATLANTA (AP) — Republican Herman Cain criticized President Barack Obama for canceling the space shuttle program — a decision actually made by President George W. Bush — as NASA shifts its focus on travel farther from Earth's orbit.
In a speech Saturday to young Republicans, the Georgia business executive was silent about sexual harassment accusations that have jolted his presidential campaign. Four women have accused Cain of sexually harassing them when he led the National Restaurant Association more than a decade ago; two of them filed complaints. Cain has denied wrongdoing.
In his speech, Cain praised President John F. Kennedy as a "great leader" for inspiring a national effort to put a man on the moon, a goal achieved when astronaut Neil Armstong stepped onto the moon's surface in 1969.
"He didn't say, 'We might.' He didn't say, 'Let's take a poll,'" Cain said. "He said, 'We will.' And we did. Only for this president to move us back by canceling a major part of our space program."
Cain also criticized Obama for using Russian technology to ferry astronauts and cargo to the International Space Station.
"I can tell you that as president of the United States, we are not going to bum a ride to outer space with Russia," Cain said to loud applause. "We're going to regain our rightful place in terms of technology, space technology."
Cain was talking about U.S. plans, now that the space shuttle is retired, to use Russian rockets to send astronauts to the International Space Station. In the meantime, NASA is focused on explorations deeper in space.
It was Bush who decided in 2004 to retire the space shuttle program. The Republican president still supported sending astronauts to the moon and Mars.
Obama, once in office, dropped the goal of a moon mission. Instead, NASA has plans to build a giant rocket capable of sending astronauts to an asteroid and eventually Mars. It wants to outsource to private companies the task of ferrying astronauts and cargo to the space station — a job previously performed by the space shuttle.
Until private companies are ready, NASA will keep buying seats on Russian Soyuz capsules to get astronauts to the space station. The cost per person to fly on a Soyuz is expected to rise from $56 million to $63 million, which is still cheaper than flying on the shuttle.
Cain did not explain how he thinks the United States should explore outer space and did not take questions from reporters afterward.
Cain spoke in advance of a Republican debate Saturday in South Carolina focused on foreign policy.
__