PDA

View Full Version : The World Ends A Bit More Each Day

Kristy
04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Anybody been following this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/science/17plume.html

It's pretty creepy. One volcano has more or less shut shut most airline travel back and froth to western Europe and the plume looks like it's headed our way.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/43000/43676/iceland_tmo_2010104_1230.jpg

So..is it too late to repent?

kwame k
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
As a recovering Catholic.....I'm hoping for that death bed repentance and last rites just before I cash out.

chefcraig
04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Big deal, so it blocks out the sun and makes everyone choke. I'm surrounded by redneck neighbors that do the same thing with their insipidly loud and drunken barbecues every weekend.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4061/firebbq.jpg (http://img412.imageshack.us/i/firebbq.jpg/)

Kristy
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks Chef, over worrying about such trivial matters only leads to more stress which is never good.

Golden AWe
04-16-2010, 06:00 PM
It's a pity for those who have booked their holidays for these days...but at the same time I'm happy that once again, the earth is showing us how big us humans actually are. We are fly's shit cuntpared to the strength of the nature.

tojoro
04-16-2010, 06:05 PM
How many centuries has the world been mapped out the way we know it? Mother earth can shrug her shoulders anytime she likes, and there's jack and shit we can do about it.
I'm just hoping to see that Oakland '81 double disc before all of this goes down!

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
For the last 2 days all we get here on the news is people complaining like fuck that they have been 'trapped' on vacation unable to get back to the UK.

Cry me a river, they should let them all crash.

Golden AWe
04-16-2010, 06:27 PM
For the last 2 days all we get here on the news is people complaining like fuck that they have been 'trapped' on vacation unable to get back to the UK.

Cry me a river, they should let them all crash.

YESSS! I'd be thrilled to get stuck abroad for a few extra days before going back to work.

And I love my work, but hey, I love my vacations more....

tojoro
04-16-2010, 07:16 PM
There was one cat I heard on the news who actually was on a flight where some of these miniscule volcanic ash particles caused all for engines of that jet to flame out, and they dropped 9,000 feet before re-starting the engines. :eek:
Needless to say, he's totally cool with being grounded.:cool:

Golden AWe
04-16-2010, 07:19 PM
There was one cat I heard on the news who actually was on a flight where some of these miniscule volcanic ash particles caused all for engines of that jet to flame out, and they dropped 9,000 feet before re-starting the engines. :eek:

Yup. The finnish army fighters have also suffered small damages of the ash that gets stuck in the engine and melts there...can be dangerous

chefcraig
04-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Yup. The finnish army fighters have also suffered small damages of the ash that gets stuck in the engine and melts there...can be dangerous

There was a tv documentary a few years back about a British Airways 747 that flew into a dust cloud and the grit sandblasted the windshield. The pilot had to stand and look out a side window to land safely. The doc showed the wrecked windshield, and it was amazing to believe that not only could the pilot manage to fly the plane, he was able to land the damned thing as well. The dust was so intense it seeped inside the cabin, clouding it up so badly that the pilot had to drop down to a low altitude to air out the plane. Oh, and here's another pisser: during the low altitude flight, they were flying through a mountain range, essentially blind! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Surprise/surprised-005.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Surprise-Smileys.html)

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 07:44 PM

That would be even more scary for him than the other passengers being in the hold in a pet carrier.

MAX
04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
at the same time I'm happy that once again, the earth is showing us how big us humans actually are. We are fly's shit cuntpared to the strength of the nature.

"We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. You know the people I'm talking about? The people who only think the world's fucked up because there aren't enough bicycle paths provided for their own habitat. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people fucking kidding me? Save the planet? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. Yet, we're gonna save the fuckin' planet? . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are fucked! Compared with the people, the planet is doin' great. It's been here over four billion years . . . The planet isn't goin' anywhere, folks. We are! We're goin' away. Pack your shit folks, we're goin' away. And we won't leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam and plastic bags. Maybe? The planet will be here, and we'll be gone. Another failed mutation; another closed-end biological mistake.The Earth will rejuvenate itself and shake us off like a bad case of fleas. Might be the answer to our age old question... Why are we here?? PLASTIC ASSHOLES!!! The Earth plus plastic." - George Carlin

Guitar Shark
04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
One of my buddies is currently trapped in London, unable to get back to the US after what was supposed to be a short business trip. I told him to look into kayak rentals.

Ally_Kat
04-16-2010, 09:43 PM
It's laughable that this is considered the world dying in some way. Weather is cyclical on short and long term basis. What we're witnessing is the event to help trigger the next cooling period. I, for one, am enjoying it.

Seshmeister
04-16-2010, 10:18 PM
26 and already a world renowned climatologist.

Ally_Kat
04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
26 and already a world renowned climatologist.

In all seriousness, shit like this interests me and I read a lot about it.

When there are significant volcano eruptions in Iceland, it alters the northernly jet stream by pushing it south. This leads to drastically cooler weather the following year (like lack of a summer), which takes a significant time to self-correct. Talk now is how much cooler will next year be, and will there be another major Icelandic explosion. If there is another major activity from one of the neighboring volcanoes, or if the current one erupts again on the same scale, we're going to start seeing HUGE impacts on weather patterns.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
In all seriousness, shit like this interests me and I read a lot about it.

When there are significant volcano eruptions in Iceland, it alters the northernly jet stream by pushing it south. This leads to drastically cooler weather the following year (like lack of a summer), which takes a significant time to self-correct. Talk now is how much cooler will next year be, and will there be another major Icelandic explosion. If there is another major activity from one of the neighboring volcanoes, or if the current one erupts again on the same scale, we're going to start seeing HUGE impacts on weather patterns.

Hey, I'm all for a summer with temps in the 70 or 80 degree range, as we're usually in the high 90's and 100's here during a typical summer. The flip side would be a colder winter, and I don't want to go through another cold winter like we just went through.

hambon4lif
04-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Haiti, Chile, China, Baja-Mexico, and now the Iceland eruptions....
....if anyone's paying attention...all of these events have happened in just the last 3 and a half months!

"Honey, we have to do it tonite! There might not even BE a tomorrow!!"
....this is a line I use on my girlfriend so I can get some pussy, but now it's starting to look more and more like the truth!

When's the last time so much activity has occured in so small of a time span?

I really don't want my lie to become the truth......tell whoever's having fun with those TAARP machines to chill the fuck out!!!

Blaze
04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
?????

Northern Girl
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Haiti, Chile, China, Baja-Mexico, and now the Iceland eruptions....
....if anyone's paying attention...all of these events have happened in just the last 3 and a half months!

"Honey, we have to do it tonite! There might not even BE a tomorrow!!"
....this is a line I use on my girlfriend so I can get some pussy, but now it's starting to look more and more like the truth!

When's the last time so much activity has occured in so small of a time span?

I really don't want my lie to become the truth......tell whoever's having fun with those TAARP machines to chill the fuck out!!!

I heard on the news a couple days ago, they said it's a normal number that we see every year, it's just that they usually happen in the ocean and don't hear about them.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
tell whoever's having fun with those TAARP machines to chill the fuck out!!!

OK, Phil The Stalker! :biggrin:

VAiN
04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
I have to admit, if there's a cooling trend, I'm totally enjoying our longer than usual winter we've been having down here..

Kristy
04-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Nature is beyond the realm of fascination

http://images.vizworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/icevolcano_fulle-595x396.jpg

Seshmeister
04-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Funny I was just about to post some pics of this...

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/eyja_04_19/e30_23073889.jpg
The ash plume of southwestern Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano streams southwards over the Northern Atlantic Ocean in a satellite photograph made April 17, 2010. The erupting volcano in Iceland sent new tremors on April 19, but the ash plume which has caused air traffic chaos across Europe has dropped to a height of about 2 km (1.2 mi), the Meteorological Office said. (REUTERS/NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland) #

Seshmeister
04-20-2010, 07:29 PM
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/eyja_04_19/e01_23056097.jpg

Seshmeister
04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/eyja_04_19/e25_23048757.jpg

Anonymous
04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
The Earth is scratching itself.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
"We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. You know the people I'm talking about? The people who only think the world's fucked up because there aren't enough bicycle paths provided for their own habitat. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people fucking kidding me? Save the planet? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. Yet, we're gonna save the fuckin' planet? . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are fucked! Compared with the people, the planet is doin' great. It's been here over four billion years . . . The planet isn't goin' anywhere, folks. We are! We're goin' away. Pack your shit folks, we're goin' away. And we won't leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam and plastic bags. Maybe? The planet will be here, and we'll be gone. Another failed mutation; another closed-end biological mistake.The Earth will rejuvenate itself and shake us off like a bad case of fleas. Might be the answer to our age old question... Why are we here?? PLASTIC ASSHOLES!!! The Earth plus plastic." - George Carlin

That was... beautiful!

It's true, I can't stand all that "We need to save the Planet" bullshit. It really gets on my nerves. What the fuck do you think you are? Aren't you overreaching a bit? What next? Save the universe? :lol:

Shit. People really need to get down to earth, instead of trying to save it.

Nitro Express
04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
On a modern airliner they can follow the beam transmitted from the end of the runway and land automatically. In fact, this is why in the winter time planes tend to slide off the runway in bad weather because the auto landing does not know the runway has ice on it. You can fly a modern aircraft totally blind and land it blind if you have autopilot with auto land capability and radar. Of course in a small plane without the gizmos landing on a grass strip, it's a big fill the pants moment when the windscreen becomes opaque.

Nitro Express
04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
That was... beautiful!

It's true, I can't stand all that "We need to save the Planet" bullshit. It really gets on my nerves. What the fuck do you think you are? Aren't you overreaching a bit? What next? Save the universe? :lol:

Shit. People really need to get down to earth, instead of trying to save it.

Enjoy! :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eScDfYzMEEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eScDfYzMEEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
04-21-2010, 04:52 AM
On a modern airliner they can follow the beam transmitted from the end of the runway and land automatically. In fact, this is why in the winter time planes tend to slide off the runway in bad weather because the auto landing does not know the runway has ice on it. You can fly a modern aircraft totally blind and land it blind if you have autopilot with auto land capability and radar. Of course in a small plane without the gizmos landing on a grass strip, it's a big fill the pants moment when the windscreen becomes opaque.

The problem has been that noone can guarantee that sucking a bunch of ash into the engines won't fuck them up.

Nitro Express
04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I live just below the Yellowstone caldera. If that one blows I'm not going to have to worry about all of Obama's new taxes.

Nitro Express
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
My brother in law is a commercial airline pilot. When Mount Pinitubo in the Phillipines errupted, there was so much ash in the atmosphere it sand blasted the plexiglass windows on the planes for a year. They were constantly replacing them. Also, it dropped the worldwide average tempurature.

Nitro Express
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/eyja_04_19/e01_23056097.jpg

Look what happens when the earth farts!