PETE'S BROTHER
04-16-2010, 09:35 PM
kwame, drumroll please.

i still haven't seen it.

discuss.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
however, until i do, this is fodder for black flag..Kick-Ass
Hilarious? Disturbing? Irresponsible? How about all of the above? Depending on who you ask, "Kick-Ass" is either "morally reprehensible" or "the best superhero movie since 'The Dark Knight.'"

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times is clearly not a fan, giving the movie just one star out of four. Lambasting the movie as "reprehensible", Mr. Ebert wonders if he's "hopelessly square" or "missed the point" of the film. It's worth noting that Ebert does discuss the film's climatic scene, which many outraged Twitterers felt was a spoiler. A minor Web controversy quickly ensued, and godfather of all fanboys, Harry Knowles, even weighed in. Read Ebert's review at your own risk.

Moving on... Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune was also not much of a fan, though he didn't have the same abhorred reaction as his crosstown rival. "I started hating this movie around the midpoint," he writes. As for the violence, Phillips calls it "stupidly relentless."

Other critics had a much different reaction. Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly gives the film a "B+" and describes it as "an enjoyably supercharged and ultraviolent teen-rebel comic-book fantasy." The Hollywood Reporter's John DeFore had a good time watching the kids kick booty. He calls the controversial pic a "funny, unexpectedly violent romp."

James Berardinelli also likes the movie, and gives Nicolas Cage props for his supporting Batman-like role, noting that Mr. Cage even goes so far as to imitate Adam West's voice. Is "Kick-Ass" for kids? Definitely not. But then again, that's why it's rated R.