PDA

View Full Version : KFC Double Down: A Very Special Food Review.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 06:34 PM
The greatest advancement to sandwich technology ever.

Discuss.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/ap/20100412/13/925582819-undated-product-image-provided-kfc-shows-new-double-sandwich-double.jpg

Dan
04-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Kiwi Fried Chicken Down Here.:D

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Nothing like extremely greasy hands with nothing to wipe them on, particularly while driving. Put it on a kaiser or toasted onion roll with some lettuce, onion, dill pickles and a blue cheese dressing. Then we'll talk.

sadaist
04-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I think it's an awesome sandwich and I can't wait to try one. It will just suck when they can't sell them anymore because some Mom lets her son eat 8 per day and get fat. Until then, fucking kudos to KFC.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I call it a coronary waiting to happen. That CANNOT be very good for you. Fried Bacon and cheese between two pieces of fried chicken...are they trying to kill people?

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
It probably tastes awesome, but you know the better something tastes the worse it is for you.

sadaist
04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Nothing like extremely greasy hands with nothing to wipe them on, particularly while driving. Put it on a kaiser or toasted onion roll with some lettuce, onion, dill pickles and a blue cheese dressing. Then we'll talk.

NO!!!

If you need it wrapped, it should be wrapped in more bacon, then a slice of ham, topped off by some roast beef. If you don't have a napkin, use your damn Levis like everyone else. This isn't a meal served at the Yacht Club when you are hob obbing with potential clients. This is a greasy, tasty, just plain awesome sammich for grubbing on a Saturday afternoon.

There is a correct time & place for etiquette foods, and a time & place for grub. This is grub.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Who needs bread now that we're using chicken breasts for bread? Fucking brilliant.

It has that little paper sleeve that protects your hands from the grease (for about 2 seconds). But it wouldn't matter anyways, because the cheese and special sauce would pop out of the bread and get on your hands, anyways.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 06:52 PM
no!!!

If you need it wrapped, it should be wrapped in more bacon, then a slice of ham, topped off by some roast beef. If you don't have a napkin, use your damn levis like everyone else. This isn't a meal served at the yacht club when you are hob obbing with potential clients. This is a greasy, tasty, just plain awesome sammich for grubbing on a saturday afternoon.

There is a correct time & place for etiquette foods, and a time & place for grub. This is grub.

yes!..

sadaist
04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I call it a coronary waiting to happen. That CANNOT be very good for you. Fried Bacon and cheese between two pieces of fried chicken...are they trying to kill people?

Then don't eat forty of them. Geez. If you get one of these every couple of weeks and live a fairly healthy lifestyle, it won't hurt you. I mean really. How often do you actually go to KFC? As much as I love it, I probably honestly only go maybe once every 6-8 weeks. So having one of these every month or two isn't going to hurt a thing.

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
NO!!!
If you need it wrapped, it should be wrapped in more bacon, then a slice of ham, topped off by some roast beef. If you don't have a napkin, use your damn Levis like everyone else. This isn't a meal served at the Yacht Club when you are hob obbing with potential clients. This is a greasy, tasty, just plain awesome sammich for grubbing on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm not speaking of the mores and attitudes of fine dining. All I'm saying is this is a greasy mess that still looks like a choke-dry sandwich. Without some sauce and lettuce to get it down your throat, the entire concept seems to be uncomfortable, no matter what the dining situation might be.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 06:55 PM
There's special sauce on it Craig.

sadaist
04-17-2010, 06:55 PM
still looks like a choke-dry sandwich. Without some sauce and lettuce to get it down your throat, the entire concept seems to be uncomfortable, no matter what the dining situation might be.

If it looks too dry for you, order a side of gravy for dipping. AWESOME!

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Then don't eat forty of them. Geez. If you get one of these every couple of weeks and live a fairly healthy lifestyle, it won't hurt you. I mean really. How often do you actually go to KFC? As much as I love it, I probably honestly only go maybe once every 6-8 weeks. So having one of these every month or two isn't going to hurt a thing.

But the funny thing is - it has the same nutrition/calories/fat as a Big Mac, because it's chicken.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 06:57 PM
If it looks too dry for you, order a side of gravy for dipping. AWESOME!

You've made me run out of thanks. Great minds think alike.

sadaist
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
But the funny thing is - it has the same nutrition/calories/fat as a Big Mac, because it's chicken.

Big Macs are good too. I tried the Big Carl from Carls Jr. It's supposed to be an exact copy of the Mac, but without the center bread slice and with larger patties. Still can't compare.

Seshmeister
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Discuss.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/ap/20100412/13/925582819-undated-product-image-provided-kfc-shows-new-double-sandwich-double.jpg

Remember that argument we had about British food a few weeks ago?

You just lost it.

lesfunk
04-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Better than Wac Arnold's

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Remember that argument we had about British food a few weeks ago?

You just lost it.

Sorry, I don't.

But I lost it years ago.

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM

So it does, my mistake. I just checked the KFC website (http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/), and you are indeed correct.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 07:04 PM
But it's true, it's a little dry. Doesn't bother me, though - I just keep my beverage handy.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 07:07 PM

I don't go to KFC very often, mainly because their chicken is so damn expensive, but I do like the original recipe. I'm not a health nut or anything, but I've been trying to avoid fast food joints as much as possible since I have an elevated cholesterol level. As far as that sandwich, I imagine just one has double or triple your RDA of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Probably wouldn't hurt having one every now and then, but I wouldn't eat more than two in one visit.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 07:10 PM

I just hope the guy in the back making it isn't putting his own special sauce on it! :biggrin::barf:

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
As far as that sandwich, I imagine just one has double or triple your RDA of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Probably wouldn't hurt having one every now and then, but I wouldn't eat more than two in one visit.

Here are the stats from the above mentioned link.

KFC Original Recipe® Double Down Calories 540 Fat (g) 32 Sodium (mg) 1380
KFC Grilled Double Down Calories 460 Fat (g) 23 Sodium (mg) 1430

Seshmeister
04-17-2010, 07:14 PM
There's something incredibly unhealthy about KFC.

I have the odd McD from a drive though when I'm in a rush and enjoy a pizza but KFC is a step too far it makes me feel a bit sick.

This is a step too far too far.

kwame k
04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
The 2 times in the last 15 years that I've eaten at KFC, I've gotten sicker than a dog both times.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 07:22 PM
The 2 times in the last 15 years that I've eaten at KFC, I've gotten sicker than a dog both times.

Fortunately, I have the iron stomach.

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
There's something incredibly unhealthy about KFC.
I have the odd McD from a drive though when I'm in a rush and enjoy a pizza but KFC is a step too far it makes me feel a bit sick.

It's probably because they put dollar bills in the lettuce. You never know where your currency has been...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRDEjPoeGw

Seshmeister
04-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah as I said I'm the opposite of a health nut there is something particularly bad about KFC.

Looking at their stats it seems that the fat and salt is incredible.

eg this new one has as much fat as five MacDonalds hamburgers and three times as much salt.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 07:33 PM
eg this new one has as much fat as five MacDonalds hamburgers and three times as much salt.

A news article said it was the same as one "big mac?"

kwame k
04-17-2010, 07:40 PM
The total fat content in a Big Mac is 29 grams, which is approximately 46% of your daily recommended fat intake in one burger. 10 grams of that fat is Saturated Fats, which is 51% of your daily recommended intake of Saturated Fats, and 1.5 grams of that fat is Trans Fats, which is 75% of your daily recommended intake of Trans Fats. In addition, a Big Mac has 75mg of cholesterol (25% of daily recommended intake) and a whopping 1040mg of sodium.

Yikes!

thome
04-17-2010, 07:41 PM
The only thing bad about this sammich is the oil cheze..ain't cheese.
Throw some good -real swiss- on there and more than likely it will also need some good quality smoked bacon and then I would be down.

But as mentioned this is KFC not country club fare.

I am watching my complex carbs and throw most of the bread away on my Mac Attacks adventures.

But then late at night I eat a big sloppy PB&J and Fukk the world it's my life...lol

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
The only thing bad about this sammich is the oil cheze..ain't cheese.
Throw some good -real swiss- on there and more than likely it will also need some good quality smoked bacon and then I would be down.

Dude. That's exactly it. The cheese was not very good.

Dan
04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I Love KFC.:D

Nickdfresh
04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Motherfuck KFC. I haven't been there in a decade, but their restaurants always strike me as dirty and staffed by inbreds. If I want greasy, fried chicken--I'd do Popeyes. At least they have some flavor. Unfortunately, the nearest one closed a few years back...

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Motherfuck KFC. I haven't been there in a decade, but their restaurants always strike me as dirty and staffed by inbreds. If I want greasy, fried chicken--I'd do Popeyes. At least they have some flavor. Unfortunately, the nearest one closed a few years back...

I hear ya. The last time I came out of KFC with a bucket (using a coupon, as the stuff is waaay overpriced), 3 of the items had feathers on them. I'm as serious as a heart attack in this. I returned them the next day, they replaced the pieces and gave me two biscuits for my trouble. Now that's customer service, eh?

Good call on Popeye's, yet as you said the nearest one to me closed down two years ago. I also miss Bojangles. :biggrin:

thome
04-17-2010, 09:00 PM
The spicy Popeys with red beans and rice is a good meal for what it is.
I make a hell of a pot of Red Beans and Rice here at chez thome.
We should place a recipe in the Max eatery thread?

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM

I dunno man, Zatarain's (http://www.zatarains.com/) makes a simple, right out of the box type that really turns out well. All you need to do is add some good churico or spicy Italian sausage to it, as it contains just about everything else.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of KFC - probably go there once a year or so and get the chicken sticks.

But it's this sandwich concept I'm interested in. It's easy enough just to make your own with quality cheese. The advance in sandwich science is just fucking genius, right?

Focus, people.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 09:11 PM

I prefer Church's, myself. Much more affordable than KFC, and their chicken is better, especially the spicy chicken. The gravy and mashed potatoes are better than all the other chicken joints, also, and their biscuits are pretty damn good, too. I don't know if you have Church's in the northeast? I think it's primarily a southern chain, but I may be wrong.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Chic-Fil-A is better than all of those combined. But that's not the point.

chefcraig
04-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I prefer Church's, myself. Much more affordable than KFC, and their chicken is better, especially the spicy chicken. The gravy and mashed potatoes are better than all the other chicken joints, also, and their biscuits are pretty damn good, too. I don't know if you have Church's in the northeast? I think it's primarily a southern chain, but I may be wrong.

Aren't Church's and Popeye's owned by the same company? That might explain the regional diversity, like when CVS bought a bunch of Eckerd drugs stores down here. Rite Aid picked up the rest of them. This has lead to some pretty odd developments in this region, such as being able to use a J.C. Penny credit card at Rite Aid, or having CVS and Rite Aid stores right next to each other. This is much like those gasoline corporation mergers in the eighties, where you wound up with 2 or three Sunoco or Mobil stations on the same corner.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Aren't Church's and Popeye's owned by the same company?

Yes, I believe so.

thome
04-17-2010, 09:23 PM
I dunno man, Zatarain's (http://www.zatarains.com/) makes a simple, right out of the box type that really turns out well. All you need to do is add some good churico or spicy Italian sausage to it, as it contains just about everything else.

This is no BS I have a box of that for like 5 years now sitting in the cabinet I look at it and i am like no ..perhaps I should buy a new one and try it.

Little Texan
04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
The grilled version of that Double Down sandwich has to be awful small, as those Kentucky Grilled Chicken pieces look like they came from a Hummingbird instead of a chicken.

Sarge
04-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Sorry guys, I will never eat that.
I am sure it tastes great though.
Some fat pig out there is going to wash that down with fries and a Coke.

Blackflag
04-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Everything in moderation...

Panamark
04-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Best Burger I've everhad in the US was at Mugshots.
It was like a freakin double sized Big Mac, and very tasty !!

As for any Fried Chicken offerings, you folks in the South have got it made
in the shade. I have no idea why you would go to KFC's ?

jhale667
04-18-2010, 01:26 AM
As someone who got stuck on a low-carb diet where bread is bad, I kinda wanna try this... not going to fool myself into thinking it's good for me, but looks (as far as what I can eat these days) yumm. :D

Cut out most carbs and sugar and the lbs. start falling off, btw!

FORD
04-18-2010, 01:36 AM
If it had ham or canadian bacon and actual cheese in the middle (as opposed to neon orange colored synthetic polymer based psuedo-cheese) they could call it "Cordon Bleu".

Also it would be a hell of a lot more appetizing. Though I agree, they really should have marketed this a few years ago when all the trendies were on the Atkins diet or some other variant of the low carb thing. Would be a good alternative to a burger, in that case for someone who just has to eat fast food, but is dodging the bread.

Blackflag
04-18-2010, 01:37 AM
If it had ham or canadian bacon and actual cheese in the middle (as opposed to neon orange colored synthetic polymer based psuedo-cheese) they could call it "Cordon Bleu".

Also it would be a hell of a lot more appetizing. Though I agree, they really should have marketed this a few years ago when all the trendies were on the Atkins diet or some other variant of the low carb thing. Would be a good alternative to a burger, in that case for someone who just has to eat fast food, but is dodging the bread.

The orange stuff is the special sauce.

FORD
04-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Chic-Fil-A is better than all of those combined. But that's not the point.

There ain't no goddamn Chic-Fil-A in Yakima. Or anywhere else in this state, for that matter.

Blackflag
04-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Tell me about it. :(

Little Texan
04-18-2010, 01:42 AM
There ain't no goddamn Chic-Fil-A in Yakima. Or anywhere else in this state, for that matter.

And if there were, forget about eating there on Sunday. Some religious nut is the owner and they close all their restaurants on Sundays because of the sabbath bullshit.

Blackflag
04-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah, those damn corporate assholes giving their employees sunday off... Where do they get off??

thome
04-18-2010, 01:47 AM
As someone who got stuck on a low-carb diet where bread is bad, I kinda wanna try this... not going to fool myself into thinking it's good for me, but looks (as far as what I can eat these days) yumm. :D

Cut out most carbs and sugar and the lbs. start falling off, btw!

A couple years ago I waited way to long to go to the emergency room tried to Cowboy my way out of a 105 degree fever for the last three days of /...I don't know what I had..?

Puddles of water on my chest My brain had become so dry, that I started to have the worst, if I even though of having a simple thought, I just can't describe the pain...water isn't enough durring that kind of bug thingie...you cannot on your own saturate your body it runs out to fast and your kidneys stop functioning only a IV will work ..

To The Point:
The emergency room docs gave me two bags of saline with some additive ..I don't know what but I also got a large shot of Morphine and a mega dose shot of antibiotics and the next day I was in a daze but like almost instantly better...

Oh yeah, I lost 7 Lbs in 7 days...

Getting sick the Meth diet all bad .
Cut down on complex carbs and burn some cals with a work out of some kind and that bikini won't be a something just for a magazine..

Little Texan
04-18-2010, 01:49 AM
The best thing about Chick-Fil-A is their waffle fries. Their chicken sandwiches are excellent, too, but I really like their fries.

Blackflag
04-18-2010, 01:50 AM
The brownies are nothing to sneeze at, either.

Little Texan
04-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeah, those damn corporate assholes giving their employees sunday off... Where do they get off??

Hey, some people want a goddamn Chick-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries on Sunday, and the fuckers are closed! Screw them having a day off when I'm hungry for Chick-Fil-A, goddamnit! :biggrin:

Blackflag
04-18-2010, 01:57 AM
And some greedy cocksuckers want people to work on Christmas so they can buy their stupid shit. And I say fuck them.

(But I have been wanting my chicken sandwich on Sunday...)

FORD
04-18-2010, 02:15 AM
It is kinda ironic that a chicken business based in the South would be closed on Sunday, when fried chicken on Sunday is a Southern tradition.

Maybe they should open up around 2 in the afternoon, that way they can get the after church crowd. If it's a religious objection, just hire Jews, 7th day Adventists, or atheists to work on Sundays. Not the voodoo people though. They'll have chicken blood all over the fucking place!

jhale667
04-18-2010, 02:21 AM
This looks good, but In N' Out Protein-Style Burgers are the shiznit, btw. :D

(For the uninitiated, that means lettuce-wrapped)

Little Texan
04-18-2010, 02:41 AM

Actually, there is ONE Chick-Fil-A in Washington state according to the Chick-Fil-A website, located in Bellingham, WA.

jhale667
04-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Hey, they have a "grilled" version of the KFC deal too, that wouldn't be quite as bad as the fried version...but I loves me some original recipe..

FORD
04-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Actually, there is ONE Chick-Fil-A in Washington state according to the Chick-Fil-A website, located in Bellingham, WA.

Well that fucking figures. Now that I don't have a reason to go to Bellingham anymore (unless I'm on a road trip to Canada) they build one up there.

Seems like a weird place to build the first franchise in the state. :confused:

And upon further review, it seems to be a franchise on the campus of WWU anyway, so it's probably not even intended for the general public. Though some of the college kids probably hate the "no Sunday" thing.

Nickdfresh
04-18-2010, 05:07 AM

You are correct. They had really good mashed potatoes 'n gravy too... (one of the few things I miss about Northern Virginia, along with Peruvian-style broiled chicken)

Nickdfresh
04-18-2010, 05:10 AM

Love that shit! Chicken also works well...

Nickdfresh
04-18-2010, 05:11 AM

They might have been in the NE for a bit, but left if they were. I think they vacated the mid-Atlantic states too...

Igosplut
04-18-2010, 06:26 AM
There isn't a KFC on the Cape, and no fast food for forty miles. All we have is private eatery's..

Sensible Shoes
04-18-2010, 08:12 AM
While the "no fast food" zoning concept is great for the tourist trade, it can suck for the residents. IT's all great food and the town always looks more quaint. But the idea of sitting down paying 25 bucks minimum when you're by yourself for dinner is a real pain in the ass. Ditto for the "coffee shop" idea when a Dunkin could solve the entire problem. I did a lot of fasting when I was in a town like that.

And I make my own fried chicken. Screw KFC.

twonabomber
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM

but how many people get a bucket of KFC, complete with sides, and eat 2 or 3 pieces of chicken, biscuits, and a big 'ol pile of mashed taters n' gravy? where's the outrage over that? can't be much better calorie and fat-wise.

and don't get me started on chicken wings, because then i am guilty. :D

Igosplut
04-18-2010, 09:26 AM
A friend of mine owns a restaurant in the next town. I stop in early and get the crew meal for nothing....

Panamark
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Igosplut is well connected !

Anyone else had Mugshots burgers ?

If you are ever in MS or Alabama, these things are awesome...

http://www.mugshotsgrillandbar.com/

Panamark
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Agree that Chick-Fil-A are worth a try....
But if given the chance to have traditional Southern Fried Chicken
(cooked properly in an independant restaurant down south, I would
pass up on all the chain versions) Im kinda glad I dont live there permanently
or I would be eating that Southen Fried Chicken all the time :)

Doctor Dude
04-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Sorry guys, I will never eat that.
I am sure it tastes great though.
Some fat pig out there is going to wash that down with fries and a Coke.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2010/04/chiknpig.png

VanHalener
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Discuss.

I only have one word for you...

HELL YEAH!!!!!

FORD
04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
37 things worse than a KFC meatwich

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, April 16, 2010

And lo, the reaction was swift and true, an incredible flood of comment and reply, recoil and horrified laughter, in response to last week's column -- and the Huffington Post's wondrous reprint -- on the gut-clenching KFC meat phenomenon/abomination known as the Double Down.

But amongst the amazement and wonder, a few oxygen-deprived souls dared to write in to say, "Aww c'mon, it's not all that bad? There are far worse things out there, for sure." And then they proceeded to try and prove how the DD's noxious calorie and fat numbers aren't even as toxic as some other vile fast foodstuffs, completely ignoring the larger picture I was delineating -- all the pollution, animal abuse, industrial farming, chemicals, synthetics, antibiotics, hormones and just plain insidiousness of a company concocting something this greasy and disgusting in the modern age.

But it got me thinking, aside from the food porn on thisiswhyyourefat.com, well, just what are those things that are worse for you than KFC's fistful of karmic hate? What else can you shove into your body, your brain, your very anima itself, if you really despise yourself, stopped caring long ago and just want to curl up and die in a corner somewhere? Shall we list a few? Let's.

1) Tea Party Rally. Recently did I stumble, like stepping on a rusty nail, across a surreal clip of Sarah "Queen of Duh" Palin rallying the "troops" at a Tea Party Express stop somewhere in Gunlick, Kentuckansasiana, and I found my mind suddenly blasted clean by the giant pile of dumb I was witnessing, unable to pinpoint exactly what it was that this circus sideshow reminded me of.

Then I had it. Remember that bizarre, 30-second acid trip of a scene in "The Wizard of Oz," the moment just before a very stoned Dorothy skips away to hook up with her crazy gay pals and traipse through a giant Pink Floyd album, the moment when those three adult dwarves stumble out of the Munchkinland horde wearing little kid outfits, and sing their little surly song, replete with surly, out-of-sync-leg spasms? Yes, the Palin-led Tea Party rally reminded me of the Lollipop Guild, serenading Dorothy. Perfect.

2) Floating garbage. Not to be outdone by the wily Pacific, the Atlantic Ocean is now reporting the existence of its very own giant, rancid, thousand-mile-wide swath of plastic collected over a period of years in a huge, swirling vortex and choking off sea life as far as the eye can weep. The Atlantic Plastic Explosion™ (as it would like to be known) is drifting somewhere between Bermuda and Portugal's mid-Atlantic Azores. Yay world!

Representatives for the Pacific Garbage Patch responded almost immediately, announcing plans hatched in the Netherlands to gather all its drifting plastic together and turn it into a colorful, Hawaii-sized floating island, suitable for living and frolicking and decrying the hellbound descent of man.

Aching for attention, the Indian Ocean is, meanwhile, planning to set itself on fire.

3) Military spending. Did you know 53 cents of every tax dollar you just sent to the IRS now goes to maintaining the U.S. military? Indeed, much to the confusion of gun nuts and warmongers alike, military spending is simply off the charts, even under Obama. We outspend all our allies and enemies combined, by a huge margin, far more than China, Russia, India and your grumpy right-wing grandfather hoarding bullets in the garage.

We have the largest, most bloated war machine in the world. We sell more guns, tanks, jets and warheads to more dictators, regimes and drug cartels than anyone on the planet. Are your local schools crumbling? Public hospitals failing? Entire state dumber than Glenn Beck's fact checker? Blame the military, at least in part, for sucking down about $1.6 trillion every year.

4) Miley Cyrus. Indeed, the sweet little billionaire's romantic movie came and went so fast you probably didn't even learn its name; it passed through the cultural slipstream like some sort of irritable bowel movement, the reviews of the poor tween's atrocious acting skills veering between a semi-gracious "maybe someday she'll be tolerable" and "Oh my God, someone stab out my eyes with a flaming pitchfork right now." Did you spend 10 bucks on this movie? How is it you're still upright? Shouldn't you be getting to a doctor? An asylum?

5) The Catholic Church. Sure sure, the Double Down will enrage your colon, toxify your blood, disfigure your heart, greasify your skin, shrivel your genitalia, and dumb you down to the level of slug shoelace. But that's nothing compared to 2,000 years of abuse, lies, oppression, lack of sunshine and dead, leathery skin that accompanies handing over your soul to the sinister clan of old men who run the Vatican. As for the pope, well, it would appear the "holiest" man in the Christian empire cares more about PR than child rape. You know, just like Jesus wanted.

6) "Jersey Shore," cast of. Word has it there's a new spinoff show in the works to augment this oily smear of cultural insect repellent, called "Wicked Summer" (or "Wikkid Summah" for those in the dialect) documenting -- can you guess? -- the awful hair, insane sports obsessions and big dumb babes of blue collar lugnuts from Boston.

The show's tagline, "Five minutes with these walking billboards for 'No Child Left Behind' makes you feel like a genius for being able to work a goddamn can opener" is still, apparently, being honed. Can't wait.

7) Republicanism. Some scholars believe there used to be a modicum of nobility and respect attached to this political party, long ago. History seems to indicate the GOP was, at one point, the home of a few reasonable and decent men, fighting for just and balanced causes.

Of course, the party of Lincoln has devolved into a shrill, shrieking puddle of Glenn Beck's crocodile tears, Rush Limbaugh racists and surly white men who hate the fact that you might have decent access to health care, can marry someone you love, and don't hate everything and everyone not inbred near a Texas football stadium. Want to ensure your kids grow up scared, angry, well armed, heavily medicated and confused about everything? Raise them Republican. Oh, and spank the hell out of them.

8-37) And finally, seeking additional input for this list, I posted a humble query to the 12,000+ followers on my Facebook fan page, asking for suggestions. And so, without further ado, I present to you an abbreviated list of those non-food items deemed far worse for you than a KFC Double Down, according to, well, you.

In no particular order, they are:

Marriage, Las Vegas, lobotomies, rat poison, spray-on tans, radioactive isotopes, Kansas, the Oklahoma militia, Meg Whitman, Ann Coulter, Nancy Grace, Fox News, Mormons, the Louisiana school system, the Texas State Board of Education, nuclear waste (barely), strychnine (ditto), Christian universities, unprotected bestiality, dating writers (wait, what?), foot binding, a dioxin enema, home-schooled fundamentalists (note: possibly a food item), auto-erotic asphyxiation, resentment, war, a closed mind, uterine fibroids, the Bible and, of course, sleeping in a cage with seven hungry weasels. Just FYI.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/16/notes041610.DTL

Blackflag
04-18-2010, 02:07 PM
This looks good, but In N' Out Protein-Style Burgers are the shiznit, btw. :D

(For the uninitiated, that means lettuce-wrapped)

I asked them for a 3x5, animal style once. Once.

MAX
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I Love KFC.:D

Me too but can seriously only have it like three times a year tops!!! I remember getting the extra crispy last summer and it was off the map it was so fucking good. However and unfortunately, my body just doesn't do too well with all of that grease and salt. No joke, I fucking pay for it if/when I eat it. I think it's cos not only do I get the chicken but the imitation "mashed" potatoes with that epic fucking gravy, corn coblettes, biscuits and tons of the fake butter shit and not to forget that killer cole slaw!!! I want some soooon. Tooo bad it's not summer cos when getting that shit it's usually with a group of people cos the place is also expensive that is if I remember correctly?

MAX
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Fuck, now I'm really having a craving for that crap. Thanks a lot!!! :mad:

I swear, that place is pure evil with the smell and the grease. I'll bet it has crack or heroin in it to make people chicken junkies. I want a fucking piece of original or that extra crispy like right fucking now. Instead, I'm stuck with a lousy ass and fucking healthy tunafish sammich!!! FUCK!!!

PETE'S BROTHER
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
i don't think they have xtra crispy around here any more.

Blackflag
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I keep telling people that KFC has genetically engineered a chicken with 4 breasts, and they keep falling for it.

chefcraig
04-19-2010, 04:19 PM

I swear, that place is pure evil with the smell and the grease. I'll bet it has crack or heroin in it to make people chicken junkies. I want a fucking piece of original or that extra crispy like right fucking now. Instead, I'm stuck with a lousy ass and fucking healthy tunafish sammich!!! FUCK!!!

Brother, there is a way around that fat, and that is to make it yourself. There are several recipes on the net that are damned close, and the secret is the same one I told you about for onion rings: after you've done the egg wash, flour, batter, egg wash, flour routine, place the stuff in a casserole dish, cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours. In this way, when you dump the pieces in the fryer or pan, the batter doesn't go flying off.

As for the oil itself, you can use all sorts that will prevent your insides from taking a plunge. Peanut oil comes to mind, or any of the varieties out there that have less fat in them.

chefcraig
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Edit: Double post

LoungeMachine
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
i don't think they have xtra crispy around here any more.

I recall from friends back in high school who used to work there that:

Extra Crispy and BBQ was just yesterday's Original Recipe thatdidnt sell, re-cooked or flavored.

and

That the gravy was made from the gunk that collected at the bottom of the fryers.

I also recall a hilarious conspiracy theory when they changed their name to KFC, that it was a legal move due to the fact that they were no longer actuall using CHICKENS but rather some mystery animal's flesh.

:gulp:

Regardless, I wouldnt eat at a KFC if with a gun to my head......

gack.

chefcraig
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Regardless, I wouldn't eat at a KFC with a gun to my head...

With the almost daily robberies of fast food joints in my neck of the woods, what you describe is more or less a serving option. :duh:

twonabomber
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I recall from friends back in high school who used to work there that:

Extra Crispy and BBQ was just yesterday's Original Recipe thatdidnt sell, re-cooked or flavored.

and

That the gravy was made from the gunk that collected at the bottom of the fryers.

i worked at a local fried chicken take-out joint when i was still in school. can't say for sure what KFC did, but i had heard that extra crispy was breaded twice and then fried. we tried it with our dip and breading and it was pretty close. any chicken we had left over at the end of the night would go into the freezer and we'd sell it like that in bulk. a couple rest homes would hit us for 100 pieces at a time.

you're right about the gravy though. we cleaned the fryer oil every day, and what was left at the bottom went into a bin in the walk-in cooler. i think we called it cracklings. you'd break off some of the cracklings, enough to fill a small colander, and put it into boiling water along with a bag of gravy mix. if the fryer oil had been burnt we wouldn't save any of it.

Little Texan
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Hey Max, I've got a few copycat recipes for the KFC 11 herbs and spices if you wanted to try and make some imitation KFC at home. You're a cook so you could probably pull it off. One of them I tried one time tasted pretty damn close to the real deal. The only thing was I didn't have a pressure cooker to cook the chicken like KFC. I tried frying it in grease and it burned the paprika in the spice mix. I could post that recipe and others in your cooking thread if you'd like.

MAX
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Brother, there is a way around that fat, and that is to make it yourself. There are several recipes on the net that are damned close, and the secret is the same one I told you about for onion rings: after you've done the egg wash, flour, batter, egg wash, flour routine, place the stuff in a casserole dish, cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours. In this way, when you dump the pieces in the fryer or pan, the batter doesn't go flying off.

As for the oil itself, you can use all sorts that will prevent your insides from taking a plunge. Peanut oil comes to mind, or any of the varieties out there that have less fat in them.

Thanks Craigeee. :)

Yeah, I can also make a mean homemade fried chicken. However, it's a pain in the ass, messy and takes too long. Besides, I don't eat it enough to go through the trouble. :) I tried that Popeye's last time I was in Atlanta and it was alright. I want to try that place in New Orleans that won Bon Appétit'es best fried chicken in America. It's called Willie Mays Scotch House and the batter's wet.

Regardless, I like that Kentucky Fried shit. I could also care less what grease droppings make up that gravy as well cos I'm not planning to eat that garbage for any health reasons. lol

Little Texan
04-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I saw that chef already mentioned making it at home. Sorry about that, dude!

MAX
04-19-2010, 06:25 PM
No worries bro. I love the home stuff and can easily do a baked/low fat/healthy version as well. I just dig those secret blend (salt, msg and black pepper) of eleven herbs and spices of the col'sl!!! lmao

LoungeMachine
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Ezell's is the best damn fried chicken anyway.....

:gulp:

Dan
04-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Page 3.:D

BITEYOASS
04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
This reminds me of another KFC mutation called the KFC Bowl:

http://monstercomments.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/kfcfb.jpg

Patton Oswalt joked about it one time:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfan5MacmsI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfan5MacmsI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jhale667
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM

OK, finally had one of these yesterday. NOT bad!

Of course, since I'm trying to watch my fat and cholesterol levels as well, probably NOT a good idea to have them regularly, but it was pretty damn good! My only gripe is one of the slices of cheese is some spicy Monterey Jack shit, not so into that, but I'm sure they'd substitute another regular slice for you if you asked.
All in all, my arteries didn't clog completely, nor did it come back to haunt me four hours later like say, Taco Bell does...:hee:

MAX
04-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Jay, you're very brave. I'd like to try one but honestly, it looks too big and I'd end up wasting it.

Seshmeister
04-22-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm not a big fan of KFC - probably go there once a year or so and get the chicken sticks.

But it's this sandwich concept I'm interested in. It's easy enough just to make your own with quality cheese. The advance in sandwich science is just fucking genius, right?

Focus, people.

Over here we have cutlery... :)