PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten/Pac 10 Expansion

POJO_Risin
04-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Rumors coming out of the meetings so far today are that it's going to happen, and they just have to decide if it's going to be 14 teams, or 16.

That's interesting.

Everyone is talking about teams like Missouri, Texas, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse...

It could be all five teams...

I know Notre Dame will be in the discussion too. I think ND would want to be at the forefront of potential mega conferences...

I also get the impression that they are going to wait this process out...

hideyoursheep
04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I think ND actually benefits from being independent, I don't think they'll make a move.

IF the Big 11 add 1 team, wouldn't that force a championship game?

POJO_Risin
04-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Notre Dame gets $15 million a year via TV money as it stands right now. The Big 10 teams get $22 million. Now, add say Notre Dame, Texas, Pitt, Syracuse and Missouri or Rutgers...and go 16 teams...or 14...or as you said...12 teams.

That adds ND to the equation, and a championship game.

Revenue goes up.

For the first time in the history of ND...there's been talk that they might HAVE to do it. They have been going back and forth...likely trying to drum up something.

My guess is that if the Big 10 is hustling right now to do this, instead of waiting a year and a half, as originally speculated, that ND and/or Texas are involved, and they don't want to miss out on one or the other.

Or...this could have been their plan from the start...to say a year or more...then do it in six months, to keep other conferences from stealing their thunder.

Smart either way...

hideyoursheep
04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
ND gets 15 mil on it's own, and The Big 10 gets 22 mil...each team, or combined? If combined, ND is making some serious cheese on it's own as it is. Why would they want to share that with the Big 10? But on the other hand, their stock has been falling due to shitty performances, so I could understand the sudden interest in joining a conference.

Wouldn't ND have to say goodbye to their annual USC ass-kicking, er, "rivalry game"?

Let 'em in, I say. Pitt too. Dump Minnesota.

Unchainme
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
ND gets 15 mil on it's own, and The Big 10 gets 22 mil...each team, or combined? If combined, ND is making some serious cheese on it's own as it is. Why would they want to share that with the Big 10? But on the other hand, their stock has been falling due to shitty performances, so I could understand the sudden interest in joining a conference.

Wouldn't ND have to say goodbye to their annual USC ass-kicking, er, "rivalry game"?

Let 'em in, I say. Pitt too. Dump Minnesota.

22 mil. on their own.

ND would be a great fit, it has rivalries with Penn state, scUM, MSU, Northwestern (since been dissolved :(), and Purdue already. and I believe if they joined the big ten, that a rivalry with the Buckeyes would develop rather quickly.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Pitt's been rumored to be the at least one of them for about two months now....

Unchainme
04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Pitt apparently had a meeting with every student athlete on campus back in december in regards to probably joining the big 10, bunch of football players of theirs tweeted about it, but quickly deleted them.

Little Texan
04-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Pitt and Notre Dame would be better fits than Texas, being as they both are in the same region. I don't know why Texas is even being considered. They are too far away from all the other schools and there would be too much travel involved in that.

Little Texan
04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
I get that Texas is an elite school that is annually in the national championship picture, and that's why the Big 10/11 would want them in their conference, but it doesn't make any sense from a logistics/geographical standpoint.

hideyoursheep
04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
22 mil. on their own. That kinda sucks that Indiana gets the same cut as tOSU. Do they really deserve that much TV revenue? Really?

...unless this includes basketball, then maybe.

I hate basketball.

ND would be a great fit, it has rivalries with Penn state, scUM, MSU, Northwestern (since been dissolved :(), and Purdue already. and I believe if they joined the big ten, that a rivalry with the Buckeyes would develop rather quickly. I'd say immediately. I'd kinda miss pulling for ND while playing M*ch*g*n.

Now as far a Pitt.....their home games are at Heinz Field? That could cause problems when playing The Buckeyes or Penn St.

High Life Man
04-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Read this:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13165979/delany-big-ten-may-swallow-irish-in-expansive-landscape

ND is going to get extorted and will join. The Big 10 is going to destroy the Big East. A super-conference indeed!

hideyoursheep
04-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I get that Texas is an elite school that is annually in the national championship picture, and that's why the Big 10/11 would want them in their conference, but it doesn't make any sense from a logistics/geographical standpoint. IMO, it could eventually have a negative impact on UT's entire program.

I'd love to see Texas in the Big 10, however. :D

POJO_Risin
04-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I think the only way they go after Texas...is if they go after two or three midwest teams. As far as travel goes...

aren't there such things as planes?

You add Missouri...and say..Texas Tech and Texas...along with the Northern Midwest teams like the cheds, Iowa, Minny...

for example..and it wouldn't be perfect...but not all that bad either. They'd have to travel some...but nothing more than they likely do now.

We're not talking about ten games here.

As far as Notre Dame...it would just be like them to wait for the Big East to get mauled...then join the Big East as the top dog...

rumblings that the ACC is wanting to pick apart the rest of the Big East...

POJO_Risin
04-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Pitt has been rumored for nearly as long as Notre Dame...

Right after the ACC add-ons of Miami and BC...the Big 10 was talking Notre Dame and/or Pitt...

and Crazy-Ass Joe-Pa has been clamoring for it for years as well...

POJO_Risin
04-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Right now, each Big 10 team gets 22 million...but if they roll out a super conference...that will jump up considerably...10 to 15 million a team...I'd bet...

hideyoursheep
04-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Are there any teams in the MAC that would be worth pulling in, in your opinion?

Va Beach VH Fan
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Now as far a Pitt.....their home games are at Heinz Field? That could cause problems when playing The Buckeyes or Penn St.

Nah, Pitt can barely sellout Heinz Field as it is, even when they play WVU nowadays... They'd welcome playing OSU and of course PSU....

High Life Man
04-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't count out that Texas thing. It makes sense on so many levels.

The key is the Big 10 network. It just prints cash.

hideyoursheep
04-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Nah, Pitt can barely sellout Heinz Field as it is, even when they play WVU nowadays... They'd welcome playing OSU and of course PSU....

That's my point, VA. It would stop being a "home game".

POJO_Risin
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Well...I'm a MAC fan, especially with all those Ohio teams in there...but I'd first be curious to see if tOSU would LET any of those teams in. With regards to recruiting, it would infringe on tOSU's stranglehold on recruiting...

and if tOSU says no...so does the Big 10.

With that said...a team like Temple, in Philly, would be a good match with say...Rutgers. I'm not sure what kind of crown Temple draws, but being in Philly, and being in the Big 10...well...

POJO_Risin
06-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Okay...this is getting fun.

The Big 12 is about to disappear...which I think is funny as all hell.

The Big 10 announces expansion...sort of...presumably Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt and Rutgers, with a wildcard team out there (I vote for West Virginia or Syracuse, but that's just me)

The Pac 10 piggy backs like the bitches they are, and say the same thing.

The Big 10 squirts out thoughts of Texas...

Now...the Pac 10 threatens to take six Big 12 teams, with Texas one of them...

Who gets Texas?

Personally, I think the Big 10 is orchestrating the whole thing to scare Notre Dame into accepting a bid. I don't think they want Texas. What they want are Super Conferences. You'll have the Pac 10 going to 16 teams...

You know the SEC and ACC will follow suit...poaching from the Big East, the Big 12, and all the little conferences around.

If Notre Dame gets left out...well...

I say fuck 'em.

I hope they are on the outside looking in...

Unchainme
06-06-2010, 12:57 PM
fuck it, just merge parts of the Big XII North, and the Big East to create The Big 24

Samuel Adams Brewery Division

Boston College
UConn
Sryacuse
Rutgers

Heinz Ketchup Division

Penn State
Pitt
Cincinnati
West Virginia

Great Lakes Brewery Division

Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St.
Notre Dame

Dad's Root Beer Division

Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

Miller Light Division

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa St.

Omaha Insurance Division

Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas St.

Top two teams meet up in Indianapolis to decide who gets a spot in the Rose Bowl.

POJO_Risin
06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Nebraska and Missouri have until Friday to make up their minds about the Big 10. The Big 10, likely hasn't offered yet, so they could be left high and dry.

but...

Nebraska is already leaning towards the Big 10...so I'd have to imagine there have been back-room talks already...

Look for Nebraska to make up their minds soon...and it will be the Big 10...

then all the fun starts...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Who else besides Nebraska is the latest rumor for the Big 10 ?

Nebraska will be a nice add, though...

POJO_Risin
06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
The givens...Va, appear to be Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers...

Then the rumors start, and it hinges on Notre Dame.

I DON'T think Notre Dame will join...I think the plan for Notre Dame is to wait out the major conference shits, then either piece together a major conference they can control from the teams that are left...or just stay independent.

That said...the rumors stand at Syracuse and Pitt. I'd prefer West Virginia over Syracuse...bu that's just me. The thoughts of having WVU, Pitt and Penn State in the same division in the Big 10 conference is enticing, to say the least...but my guess is that the market WVU brings isn't much, and truth is, Pitt brings it.

POJO_Risin
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
If I were the big 10, I'd also consider Kansas and Kansas St....

Unchainme
06-10-2010, 12:09 AM
If I were the big 10, I'd also consider Kansas and Kansas St....

they're not getting either

K-State isn't a part of the AAU

I'm hoping they add missouri, pitt, Syracuse, and Notre Dame., Would kill to see a Purdue or Ohio State play Pitt within 3 hours of my house and with plenty seats available!

High Life Man
06-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Rumors have Texas and Texas A&M joining the Big "10".

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 12:31 AM
I read that about the AAU to, and of course...Notre Dame isn't in the AAU either...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 12:36 AM
This is nothing against the Pac 10. I've never been a fan, but I'm not trying to knock it...

the Pac 10 can't offer what the Big 10 can.

The money is bigger, and now, with USC castrated, the Pac 10 doesn't have nearly the cred. I'm not trying to knock it, just stating the facts. The Big 12 is done with Nebraska joining the B10...and Missouri likely to follow. Why wouldn't Texas want to join the Big 10? Texas Tech would have to be a part as the Longhorns primary in-state rival.

If it does happen though...wow...Texas is going to take an in-state hit with regards to Baylor, Texas A&M and the rest...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 12:38 AM
The funny thing is that Oklahoma isn't in the mix. Why in the hell would the Big 10 grab Nebraska, Missouri, Texas and Texas Tech...

and not grab Oklahoma.

If I were the Okies, I'd be rolling with the SEC...seems a natural fit.

Hell, if I were the SEC...I'd be going after Texas and Oklahoma...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Nix everything I said about Tech, and change it to A&M...I wasn't paying attention...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Interesting...Colorado announces they are moving to the Pac 10...

card #2 falls, and one of the teams that was questioned.

Hmmm...who's next?

The funny thing here is that by this time tomorrow, all the cards could fall...

Who's next? The big watch is on Texas...pac or big?

and what about Notre Dame? Are they waiting on the Big 10?...are they waiting on the Big East? Are they going to stay indy? Or, are they going to pick up whatever teams are left, and form their own conference?

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Missouri hasn't been contacted by the Big 10...hmmm...a ruse?

sonrisa salvaje
06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
The funny thing is that Oklahoma isn't in the mix. Why in the hell would the Big 10 grab Nebraska, Missouri, Texas and Texas Tech...

and not grab Oklahoma.

We would love to have Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. We are going crazy down here speculating. 2 legendary programs added into the mix means bigger games, paydays, etc. but it is hard enough to make it through the season unbeaten already with what we have now. If Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and Auburn were in the western division, it would be an absolute nightmare. The Pac 10 seems a little more ripe for the picking in the way of conference strength.

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 04:26 PM
It's not about conference strength, but about who brings the most money...you're right...it would be murder...

but they'd all be laughing to the bank...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
It's official, Nebraska is a member of the Big Ten. They were unanimously voted in, and want to become full-fledge members in 2011 and 2012. Texas is up to bat next, and the Big 10 is yelling about "home runs." There's no doubt in my mind that the Pac 10 and Big 10 are fighting this one out.

Jagermeister
06-11-2010, 06:42 PM

and not grab Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is going to wherever Texas goes. They will not play in the SEC.

Jagermeister
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
We would love to have Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. We are going crazy down here speculating. 2 legendary programs added into the mix means bigger games, paydays, etc. but it is hard enough to make it through the season unbeaten already with what we have now. If Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and Auburn were in the western division, it would be an absolute nightmare. The Pac 10 seems a little more ripe for the picking in the way of conference strength.

I really don't think that's going to happen.

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I would say that it's safe to say that the Longhorns aren't going to the Big 10. Apparently Nebraska and Texas have been hammering each other, because Nebraska has been looking for a TV Network deal similar to the Big 10's, but Texas holds it back because of their own personal TV deal. It's similar to Notre Dame. Now, Texas has some cards to play. Do they stay in the Big 12, and hold the conference together, or do they jump shit to the Pac 10, whose TV deal stinks. Will the Pac 10 let Texas keep their contract?...crazy times indeed...

Jagermeister
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I would say that it's safe to say that the Longhorns aren't going to the Big 10. Apparently Nebraska and Texas have been hammering each other, because Nebraska has been looking for a TV Network deal similar to the Big 10's, but Texas holds it back because of their own personal TV deal. It's similar to Notre Dame. Now, Texas has some cards to play. Do they stay in the Big 12, and hold the conference together, or do they jump shit to the Pac 10, whose TV deal stinks. Will the Pac 10 let Texas keep their contract?...crazy times indeed...

The latest I heard whick was on the radio this am was "Oklahoma will go where Texas goes." "Thus leaving all the cards in the hands of the Longhorns"

chefcraig
06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
It's interesting that in all of this talk of super-conferences, no one has seemed to notice the elephant in the room, that being the idea that the muscle that these organizations will have with regard to bargaining power over earnings. In that scenario, wouldn't it make sense for them to break away completely from the NCAA? I mean why split the revenue with over 300 teams when it could be shared much more profitably amongst a group of...say 20-24, for argument's sake? This would also effectively put an end to the BCS (fingers crossed).

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Remember though...the Pac 10 and the Big 10 were the conferences that were essentially putting a stop to a tournament...

Now that they are both moving to a conference tourney...perhaps that will change...

You are also forgetting that these conferences aren't just football animals...although they are the drivers. I don't see the Big 10 superconference telling the NCAA to goto hell, without taking into consideration the other athletics...in particular...hoops...

although I'm not sure they are considering that at this point...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 08:43 PM
The latest I heard whick was on the radio this am was "Oklahoma will go where Texas goes." "Thus leaving all the cards in the hands of the Longhorns"

The only issue I have with this...is the assumption that any conference would just take Okie. Now, I'm not saying they aren't deserving...they are...but if the Big 10 has a certain direction that doesn't include Okie...Okie isn't coming. I also don't see Texas saying, "you have to take Oklahoma," while disregarding their fellow Texas schools. That's not going to happen.

If Texas goes to the Big 10...Okie isn't a handcuff...

POJO_Risin
06-11-2010, 08:46 PM
the pac 10 is another story, which is where I think they will go because they will then likely dictate the direction the conference takes...

Texas and Okie become the pre-eminent schools there because of USC and Pete Carroll turning into a lump of shit...

chefcraig
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Remember though...the Pac 10 and the Big 10 were the conferences that were essentially putting a stop to a tournament...

Now that they are both moving to a conference tourney...perhaps that will change...

You are also forgetting that these conferences aren't just football animals...although they are the drivers. I don't see the Big 10 superconference telling the NCAA to goto hell, without taking into consideration the other athletics...in particular...hoops...

although I'm not sure they are considering that at this point...

You are correct, I had not considered the basketball teams in all of this, yet that does broker another interesting question: How are these basketball teams going to manage to travel the great distances required by this expansion, given the already large amount of games being played? You have to wonder how the schedule would be set up, not to mention accommodated. And it sure as hell would play havoc with the "student-athletes" class attendance, not that graduating these kids has ever been seen as a priority before.

indeedido
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Texas/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are a packaged deal. Where one goes, they all go. Texas A&M may hook their cart to UT also. Tech & OSU need OU and UT for revenue and UT and OU need each other for not only revenue but for tradition in the rivalry. If Nebraska hadn't sucked for the last decade they would still be involved but that is the reason for their quick departure. Same for Colorado, they had to get out quick because they weren't going to be included and had to get while the gettin' was good.

indeedido
06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
You are correct, I had not considered the basketball teams in all of this, yet that does broker another interesting question: How are these basketball teams going to manage to travel the great distances required by this expansion, given the already large amount of games being played? You have to wonder how the schedule would be set up, not to mention accommodated. And it sure as hell would play havoc with the "student-athletes" class attendance, not that graduating these kids has ever been seen as a priority before.

Basketball will drive Kansas where goes. Kansas and K-State will also be a packaged deal where ever they go. Big East may get them both.

High Life Man
06-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Texas turns down Pac-10. Something tells me things are about to get real interesting.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott says Texas has turned down an invitation to leave the Big 12 and join his conference.

In an e-mail, Scott confirms that Texas has rejected the Pac-10's offer.

The news first was reported by The Dallas Morning news.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/06/14/texas.big.12.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0qsEJt500

chefcraig
06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
OK, let me get this straight: The Pac-10 is becoming the Pac-12, and the Pac-12 is becoming the Pac-10. Is that it, essentially? Man, this is confusing. It seems like things change every 12 minutes or so with these deals.
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Confused/stupid.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Confused-Smileys.html)

indeedido
06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Texas has a press conference scheduled for tomorrow. Looks like the Big 12 will be the Big 10 or something to that effect. They should bring back the Southwest Conference moniker.

POJO_Risin
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
It will be interesting to see what the conferences do. I don't think the Big 10 will stop being the Big 10....and I don't think the Big 12 will stop being the Big 12....but we shall see. I do like the Southwest Conference idea.

I don't think that the Big 10 is done. I think they are going to lay their cards directly at the feet of Notre Dame at some point, followed by Rutgers and Maryland. I think the thought of opening the doors to the NYC and DC/Philly markets are the only way the Big 10 can increase their piece of the pie. Notre Dame...of course...is Notre Dame...

Fucking Texas though. They literally screw their conference though...take the loot, and tier the rest so they can have their own TV channel...when they could boost the entire conference with a Big 12 tv deal...that would allow them to do the same thing as the Big 10...

I am impressed with the Pac 10 going for the homerun though. Had that happened...wow...

Jagermeister
06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
It will be interesting to see what the conferences do. I don't think the Big 10 will stop being the Big 10....and I don't think the Big 12 will stop being the Big 12....but we shall see. I do like the Southwest Conference idea.

I don't think that the Big 10 is done. I think they are going to lay their cards directly at the feet of Notre Dame at some point, followed by Rutgers and Maryland. I think the thought of opening the doors to the NYC and DC/Philly markets are the only way the Big 10 can increase their piece of the pie. Notre Dame...of course...is Notre Dame...

Fucking Texas though. They literally screw their conference though...take the loot, and tier the rest so they can have their own TV channel...when they could boost the entire conference with a Big 12 tv deal...that would allow them to do the same thing as the Big 10...

I am impressed with the Pac 10 going for the homerun though. Had that happened...wow...

The big 12 will remain the same except for Nebraska and someone else that doesn't matter. I can't remeber who they said. What a fucked up mess.

indeedido
06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm ready for Notre Dame to finally quit being sissy independents and join a conference. Their program is so bad now, they don't care. They bled NBC dry with that TV deal. I guess their boosters have a shit load of money but still, I'm tired of watching them get beat every week when NBC could show a real game.

Little Texan
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
There is talk that Texas A&M is considering moving to the SEC. If they were to make the move, what would happen to the annual season ending rivalry game with Texas? Would the Big 12 still be called the Big 12 with 9 members? That would be pretty stupid. I think the B12 should try to get Houston, TCU, and SMU and rename the conference the new Southwest Conference.

Little Texan
06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
The big 12 will remain the same except for Nebraska and someone else that doesn't matter. I can't remeber who they said. What a fucked up mess.

Colorado.

conmee
06-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Good thread, except the part where Pojo says "...fuck Notre Dame..." lol

I don't know why everyone throws a fit about ND being independent... it's still one of the few schools that can pull it off (Texas being another according to some folks) that have the ratings and cache to do it. And as long as there is an exception for them to get into the BCS that doesn't require conference affiliation, there's nothing to compel them. Of course, some folks argue that the marquee schools would just stop scheduling ND, but despite how atrocious the football team has been the past 20 years, perhaps IN SPITE of mediocre play, they still draw enough on television and they are a good enough non-conference game (hell, actually a win-win for UM, MSU, etc recently, as they get a name school for good ratings and at times a fairly easy win too). So hard to see schools stop scheduling ND just because they aren't in a conference.

And I don't think the school is completely driven by money. If they were, the Big 10, hell even the Big East has a pretty good television package due mainly to basketball, would be a no-brainer. Like Pojo and others have mentioned, ND brings in about $15M from NBC but would bring in substantially more with the Big 10, around the current $22M per team in the Big 10.

Sure, part of it is ancient rivalry games, the ability to schedule so-called "national" schedules playing from coast to coast, not dealing with conference ADs and random conference bullshit, and being independent is not only tradition (for whatever that's worth these days), but just because they can be independent and nothing so far has come along to make it compulsory to join a conference. I think the Big East is the stronger basketball conference, but the Big 10 is definitely the stronger football conference. And right now, ND gets the benefits of both really. And what are some of the Big 10's demands? Would it require all the ND programs currently competing and with Big East rivalries to move over to the Big 10? I can't see any conference letting ND split like that... I think somewhere in the fine print may also be a rider that says ND can make football the exception to Big East membership so long as it remains independent... who knows what's lock in the Golden Dome vaults.

With hopefully Kelly getting the program at least respectable and competitive, joining the Big East would shore up that conference, and perhaps look to lure in 1-3 teams to make it a 10-12 team league. That would align with Pojo's comments of ND joining and being the big man on campus football-wise. Shit, I think every team in the Big East now has finally beaten ND in football except South Florida. lol So they join with parity and it wouldn't take much to rule the roost. On the other hand, Big 10 just seems like a natural fit and I'll tell you, when I was at ND and would go to the games, it FELT like conference play when UM, MSU, Purdue come to town.

So I have no idea what will happen, but I do enjoy the intrigue and rumors and speculation. My vote would be for joining the Big 10 so long as they could schedule 4 non-conference games 2 home/2 away and rotate them each year... at minimum they could have USC and Navy as the usual suspects and then rotate out Stanford, Pitt, W Virginia, Rutgers, Syracuse, Miami, Oklahoma, etc... or something like that... scheduling gets difficult if the Big 10 went to 16 teams and you figure 8 games off the bat are divisional games, only way to ever compete against opposing division is to use up one or more of the 4 remaining slots or meet in a conference championship.

Ok, I'm done thinking about this shit for now... lol

That is all.

Icon©®™

indeedido
06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
I can't stand Notre Dame. They wouldn't have the independent draw if they weren't the Catholic mecca of the U.S. Here is why so many hate them. It is simple, they get EVERYTHING without earning it. Automatic BCS birth if ranked in the top 9 (top 6 for everyone else), they have their own TV station with their own revenue, they get BCS money even when they do not go to the BCS (if you want that join a conference), and they are always overrated (until recent times now everyone knows they stink) they never beat anyone and would get smashed by USC and Michigan and still end up in the top 10. Other than that I don't know why people hate them. Three service academies, North Carolina, Stanford, wow, that is a crucial schedule. They inflated their wins by beating up on those teams, and get straight gobsmacked when they play a decent school (USC, Michigan). This was in the hayday of the '80s and 90s of course.

chefcraig
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
The thing is, ND has been living by reputation and so-called tradition for what, over 20 years now? The last championship they won was in the late eighties with Lou Holtz, for cryin' out loud. And you'd have to go back another 11 years before that to the Dan Devine era for another one. When you really look at things, the Irish built their "legend" in the 1940s, an era that was before television was even a factor. So the myth-building was by and large manufactured through an alleged independence, rather than any real conference affiliation. It's to the school's ultimate credit that they've managed to pull this off over the years, but the myth is just that: A reputation for winning that really isn't based on relevance to the contradicting truth of recent history.

Unchainme
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
fuck it, was bored, here's your post-apoclyptic dream college football conferences sponsored by Conelrad

ACC

North

Penn State
Pitt
West Virgina
Cincinnati
Rutgers
Syracuse
Boston College
UConn

South

Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
South Florida

Big 10

East

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan St.
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

West

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa St.
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas St.

PAC 16

Pacific Division

UCLA
USC
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon St
Washington
Washington St.

Mountain Division

Arizona
Arizona St.
Colorado
Colorado St.
Utah
BYU
UNLV
Boise St.

SEC

East

Florida
Florida St.
Miami (Fl.)
Vanderbilt
Clemson
South Carolina
Georgia
Georgia Tech

West

Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Miss. St.
Southern Miss
Tennessee
Kentucky
Louisville

SWC

Cotton

Texas
Texas A&M
Arkansas
LSU
Houston
Rice
Memphis
Tulane

Wagon

Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Baylor
North Texas
SMU
TCU
Air Force

MAC

East

Ohio
Marshall
East Carolina
Central Florida
Kent St.
Akron
Buffalo
Temple

West

Bowling Green
Toledo
Ball St.
Northern Illinois
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Miami (OH)

WAC

Mountain

UTEP
New Mexico
Louisana Tech
Wyoming
New Mexico St.
Tulsa
UAB

Ocean

San Jose St.
San Diego St.
Hawai'i
Idaho
Nevada
Fresno St.
Utah St.

Sun Belt

UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
Middle Tennessee St.
Arkansas St.
Troy
FAU
FIU
Western Kentucky

Jagermeister
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
lol. I think you either have to put Texas in Wagon or Oklahoma in Cotton. :baaa:

Unchainme
06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I even have a playoff system worked out for it

8 automatic bids via winning the Conference Championship
4 Wild Cards

-8 teams play in 4 games at the higher ranked teams home stadium
-4 teams get a bye from this and get to be chosen by 4 of the 5 BCS Bowls (Cotton gets added to this, along with the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar)
-After the 8 Wildcard round teams are reduced to 4, the Bowls get to chose which matchup is the best, and are played within the span of new years eve to the day after new years
-After the games are played, the 4 champions advance to the site of Football's "Final Four" (Again a rotating site, between the aforementioned 5), which takes place two weeks following the New Years Day Games
-The National Championship of College Football is played, and the mythical national championship delivered!