PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Nimoy Calls it Quits

Doctor Dude
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Just when he thinks he’s out, they beam him back in.

How else to describe Leonard Nimoy’s enduring, at times conflicted relationship with Star Trek, the franchise that’s defined his career for more than four decades — regardless of how many times he swore it off or believed it was finished?

“Countless times, I thought it was done,” he admits on the phone from Los Angeles.

But this time, says the 79-year-old actor-director-photographer, there are no more possibilities. Spock, his pointy-eared alter-ego, will live long and prosper. But it will be without Nimoy.

“I want to get off the stage. Also, I don’t think it would be fair to Zachary Quinto,” he says, referring to the actor who portrayed a youthful Spock in last summer’s smash Star Trek relaunch. “He’s a terrific actor, he looks the part, and it’s time to give him some space. And I’m very flattered the character will continue.”

In other words, don’t expect to see Nimoy in the next Trek sequel, scheduled for 2012. And don’t expect to see him anywhere else, either. Having just shot what will be his final appearance as enigmatic genius Dr. William Bell in TV’s Fringe, he says he’s retiring from acting altogether.

“I’ve been doing this professionally for 60 years,” he says with a laugh. “I love the idea of going out on a positive note. I’ve had a great, great time.”

After all, his involvement with Fringe was never intended to be permanent. Rather, he’d only agreed to appear in a few episodes as a favour to J.J. Abrams, who produces Fringe and, of course, directed Star Trek.

“I was away from acting for 12 years, so I guess I was seducable,” Nimoy says. “But since J.J. Abrams revived the Star Trek franchise, I felt I owed him something. And I’m glad I did it because he promised me a good story, and it was.”

Also in question? How many more science-fiction conventions he has in his future. He’ll be at this weekend’s Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo which “could be the last go-round for that too,” he says, noting he only has a few more public appearances planned.

Not that he doesn’t enjoy them. He describes each one as “a love fest. I’m so grateful to the fans. I call these kind of experiences a victory lap ... It’s like having a family meeting — a family reunion.”

That goodwill mirrors how his own emotions about Trek have mellowed. Famously, his 1975 autobiography was entitled I Am Not Spock. By 1995, when he published his second autobiography, the title had been modified to I Am Spock.

He explains he made peace with the iconic series during the 1980s and particularly with Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, which he directed. “I felt like Star Trek IV was my personal statement on Star Trek.”

Now, typecasting be damned, he feels no regrets about donning the ears that made him famous. “Since Star Trek began in 1966, I’ve never had to worry about where the next job was.”

Rather, with his acting and filmmaking career behind him, he wants to concentrate on photography, citing an exhibition he has coming up in Massachusetts. He acknowledges he was met with skepticism initially about this latest creative venture, “but I’ve built credibility now in the art world.”

And among the general population, too. He recalls an incident in which he and Tom Hanks were approached by a young man who wanted his picture taken with Hanks. When Hanks asked who would take the photo, the man turned to the now former Mr. Spock.

“He said, ‘Mr. Nimoy, you’re a wonderful photographer. Would you take our picture?’ ”

‘Spock’ headed to Vulcan, Alt.

If Leonard Nimoy is going to be in Calgary, it only seems logical that he pays a visit to Vulcan too.

“I couldn’t resist,” he says with a very un-Spock-like laugh. “I thought, ‘Since I’m coming to Calgary, why not Vulcan?’ ”

Thus the Southern Alberta community of about 1,900 will get its long-awaited chance to host Nimoy on Friday, ahead of his scheduled appearance at this weekend’s Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo.

Nimoy’s fondness for the town is well-documented. Vulcan generated worldwide headlines last spring when Nimoy backed its bid to host the premiere of 2009’s Star Trek film. Ultimately, Paramount bused about 300 residents of Vulcan — which has long capitalized on the fact it shares the name of Spock’s home planet — to Calgary for a private screening.

Not surprisingly, news of Nimoy’s visit has again put Vulcan in the spotlight.

In addition to touring the town’s Trek museum, Nimoy will have his iconic Vulcan salute canonized in a handprint ceremony. He’ll also be there for the unveiling of a bronze Spock bust.

What message does he plan to convey to the townsfolk?

“How wonderful it is to be home in Vulcan.”

kevin.williamson@sunmedia.ca

Sensible Shoes
04-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Oh whatever. Star Trek sucks. Flame at will. I stand by it.

Golden AWe
04-21-2010, 04:01 AM
Shoes, this is the first time I really dislike something you say. Groan

Seshmeister
04-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Star Trek seems to be good for the health. Scotty is the only one to have checked out and that was in his 80s when he was still breeding.

fryingdutchman
04-21-2010, 05:01 AM
Never been a fan of Star Trek, personally....but Nimoy is cool.

'Tis ashame he won't be part of the next sequel.

But I understand George Takei has a cameo in which he's caught performing oral on William Shatner in an out-of-the-way broom closet aboard the Enterprise...

Sensible Shoes
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Shoes, this is the first time I really dislike something you say. Groan

Sorry......but it still sucks.

Doctor Dude
04-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh whatever. Star Trek sucks. Flame at will. I stand by it.

Hey, I think dog shows are queer but I don't go into your threads and start shit.

MAX
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
How many times can/do these star trek guys either come out of the closet, retire, un-retire, write their memoirs, make another cameo and then call it quits again? Seriously, enough already man!!! Besides the only good star treks were Khan and the one with the whales. IMO. Never saw the next generations and that new remake was pretty stupid IMO. Sorry. :)

Doctor Dude
04-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Shoes.... Based upon my observation of your work in other threads as well as this one you've turned into quite the attention whore. What gives?

Little Texan
04-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Star Trek seems to be good for the health. Scotty is the only one to have checked out and that was in his 80s when he was still breeding.

You forgot Dr. McCoy (DeForest Kelley).

Doctor Dude
04-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Never saw the next generations and that new remake was pretty stupid IMO. Sorry. :)

You missed out on a lot of good stuff. TNG turned out to be decent after the first 2 seasons and the new Trek film was pretty tight.

I could use a little Hitch in here to back me up but he's a domesticated pussy now.

Hardrock69
04-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Hey he had to retire sometime. He is surely not hurting for cash. His love of photographing fat chicks is his passion these days.
More power to him!

Seshmeister
04-22-2010, 02:30 AM
You forgot Dr. McCoy (DeForest Kelley).

Good point, he did make 79 though.

MAX
04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Maybe Nimoy could revive "In Search Of?" Loved that show as a child. Especially the one's about bigfoot and the yeti.

kwame k
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe Nimoy could revive "In Search Of?" Loved that show as a child. Especially the one's about bigfoot and the yeti.

That show was awesome :beers8:

Sensible Shoes
04-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I have always been an attention whore. I have no life. Just play along, it's all i live for.

Sensible Shoes
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey, I think dog shows are queer but I don't go into your threads and start shit.

I apologize. Star Trek is a thing that's way bigger than one person - many people like it and I don't think saying it sucks hurts just one person. Hopefully it hurts millions who wear tinfoil on their heads and speak Vulcan.

Dog shows are queer. WAAAAAAAY queer. I have no idea why I do it.

MAX
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Gotta agree with Shoes on this one.

Breeding and grooming dogs is healthier and a lot more normal than say... being bilingual by speaking Clingon as a second language or wearing Spock ears as part of one's wedding nuptuals and at a star trek convention no less.

Doctor Dude
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I apologize. Star Trek is a thing that's way bigger than one person - many people like it and I don't think saying it sucks hurts just one person. Hopefully it hurts millions who wear tinfoil on their heads and speak Vulcan.

Dog shows are queer. WAAAAAAAY queer. I have no idea why I do it.

What's up with the anger? I have read many a post of yours going back across many sites over a long time and suddenly you're posting angry and bitter. You were never like that before.

What's really going on? I hope everything is OK.

If you don't mind I'll retire to my library and immerse myself in Klingon studies. ;)

Nitro Express
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRnSnfiUI54&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRnSnfiUI54&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Yeah. "In Search Of". In tonight's episode Leonard Nimoy is going to search for the best pussy on the planet and next week he is going to be searching for the best weed.

Hardrock69
04-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Shit, he is gonna be searching for a LOOOONG time then, as he has to sample millions of blunts and bitches! :D

DavidLeeNatra
04-23-2010, 02:45 AM
I liked the new one...

Sensible Shoes
04-23-2010, 07:48 AM
What's up with the anger? I have read many a post of yours going back across many sites over a long time and suddenly you're posting angry and bitter. You were never like that before.

Maybe because I'm angry and bitter.

Hardrock69
04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey I will help to remove all your anger and bitterness! ;)

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Maybe because I'm angry and bitter.

so is ace.