PDA

View Full Version : New Rush documentary to be released this summer!

Diamondjimi
04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
RUSH Documentary Premiers In New York; Video Footage, Photos Available - Apr. 25, 2010
"Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage", the long-awaited RUSH documentary produced by Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn of Toronto, Ontario, Canada's Banger Films Inc., received a red-carpet premier last night (Saturday, April 24) at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. All three members of RUSH — singer/bassist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart — were on hand for the event, which was also attended by actor Kiefer Sutherland, ex-SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach and VH1 Classic "That Metal Show" co-host Eddie Trunk.

"Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage" will make its television debut on June 26 on VH1 and VH1 Classic.

A poster for "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage" can be viewed below. The film will receive its Canadian premiere at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival, which runs from April 29 to May 9 in Toronto, Ontario.

The film will be shown on the following dates/times:

* Thursday, April 29 at 9:30 p.m. at the Winter Garden Theatre
* Friday, April 30 at 4:00 p.m. at the Isabel Bader Theatre

The Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival is North America's largest documentary film festival, conference and market, held annually in Toronto.

Dunn and McFadyen were interviewed last year by Classic Rock magazine's Jerry Ewing about the first-ever feature film documentary on Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.

"Geddy had been in [Dunn and McFadyen's previous documentary] 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' and we were thinking about other bands we could work with," explained McFadyen. "We felt that RUSH had always been overlooked by the critics so we met them on tour and they liked what we said. We started working on it, then IRON MAIDEN came about so we took a break to do that and raised the financing for the RUSH film. We've started on it now and done a load of interviews so now we're editing with a load of archival footage."

"We've been lucky. Not only have we had access to [RUSH management] SRO's archives but also Geddy, Alex and Neil's own personal archives," enthuses director Dunn. "I was just at Geddy's house this week. Going through his personal collection of memorabilia. I dug up some gems I don't think RUSH fans have ever seen so we're hoping to offer something new."

As RUSH fans themselves, Dunn admitted this made him feel like a kid let loose in a candy store.

"Well, Geddy's definitely the premier band archivist," Dunn said. "He has a massive collection of photographs and clippings. We even got our hands on Neil's handwritten lyric sheets from back when they were making 'Fly By Night', '2112' and 'A Farewell To Kings', and I don't think they've ever been seen before."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/rushposter.jpg

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk8hbSxY0sE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk8hbSxY0sE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

LINK (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139101)

chefcraig
04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Outstanding news! Thanks for the heads-up. :baaa:

Hardrock69
04-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Can't wait to see it. Want to see it in the theater.

Diamondjimi
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM
'Rush' doc doesn't care for cool

By Jim Slotek, QMI Agency

Last Updated: June 10, 2010 12: 00am
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/06/09/jamRushMovie.jpg&size=248x186

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is the kind of film all the cool documentarians claim they don’t want to make these days. That is to say, old school, chronologically presented with talking heads and footage.

Well, screw them. Conveying information and insight without artifice, Beyond the Lighted Stage uses every frame to wittily and touchingly convey a story that had yet to be properly told — about a band and improbable worldwide phenomenon that is Canada’s own.

And if they do it in a style that the cool kids sneer at, so much the better. Because Rush has weathered the verdict of “uncool” since the ’70s, and yet carried on to influence a generation of (mainly male) fans, some of whom have become quite famous, and all of whom seem to have suffered some degree of teen suburban ennui that was addressed either by Neil Peart’s overwrought poetry, or by his and Alex Lifeson’s mathematically virtuoso drumming and guitar.

Said famous fans include Jack Black, Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan, Metallica’s Kirk Hammett, and Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor.

About the only people who might be disappointed by Beyond the Lighted Stage are uber-fans who will find the film doesn’t speak in code, and who may be a little miffed that Rush has entered some kind of trendy latter half-life, with appearances on The Colbert Report, spoofs on South Park and cinematic love letters like I Love You, Man.

But this latter is the redemption at the end of the rainbow, and the perfect last act for one of the few rock documentaries ever to be blessed by a natural narrative. There’s the early years, the improbable arena-filling ’80s, tragedy in the ’90s (with the deaths of Neil Peart’s daughter and wife in short order, followed by his nomadic motorbike trek/spirit quest around the continent), and a stadium-filling last act with bows from every corner of pop culture.

It is, in fact, the perfect Rush primer (at least one critic I know claimed to have not ever liked the band much, but did after seeing the movie).

Blessed with the band’s apparently no-strings approval (and liberal access to their archives and photos), Beyond the Lighted Stage begins in Willowdale with the cement-like friendship of two introverted music nuts — the piercing-voiced Geddy Lee and Lifeson, both the children of immigrants. It follows them through parental disapproval, tentative attempts at band inception, an initial phase as blues-rockers, and — hilariously — as one of the worst-received high school dance bands in ’70s Ontario (due to their insistence on playing their own material).

As with Dunn and McFadyen’s earlier films, Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey and Global Metal, Rush: Beyond the Lighted stage is both respectful and mindful of absurdity.

Highlights of the latter include windblown hairdos on album covers, and fashion crimes during their prog-rock era (they went through a kimono phase onstage, for example). Humour is a pleasant surprise in a movie about a band whose songs were never particularly funny.

At one and three-quarter hours, Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is somewhat long for its genre. But for everything it does, it is economically filmed and a recommended rock-nerd experience.

LiNk (http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/06/09/14322801.html)

Hardrock69
06-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Right on. Countdown is on.

I have seen them about half a dozen times since I first did on Permanent Waves tour.

Talk about a band with musical integrity.

Hardrock69
06-10-2010, 01:57 AM

I have seen them about half a dozen times since I first did on Permanent Waves tour.

Diamondjimi
06-10-2010, 02:00 AM
I believe it will be in a limited release in theatre's up here. Def. gonna try and catch it on the big screen. :baaa:

BigBadBrian
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM

I think I'm going on about show number 20 with 10 of them being since the Vapor Trails tour. Don't know if I'll get to them this year...looks like they're only hitting the larger cities.

ODShowtime
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
man I have to travel the night of the VH1 premier. That sucks

chefcraig
06-24-2010, 08:52 PM
:rockit2: Bumping this to remind folks that the documentary airs this coming Saturday evening at 9PM(EST) on VH-1.
:theband:

Jagermeister
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
This is supose to be good. I am debating on going to see them in September I think it is.

Hardrock69
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
One thing is for sure, they will deliver a quality performance of whatever they choose to play.

They are not coming to Gnashville this tour, so I will have to miss them I guess.

Seshmeister
06-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Out on DVD in the UK on Monday - so much for the theatre release...

Mr Badguy
06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Just watched it (got it this morning - thanks PLAY).

Fucking awesome, highly recommended to anyone who likes Rush.

Some real rare footage I`ve never seen before, including B+W contemporary footage of the band performing "2112"!

Clips only but you get excerpts of "Overture", "Presentation" and "Grand Finale" so the whole film must exist.

Maybe a future DVD release?

Jack68
06-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Right on Mr Badguy if you like Rush youre gonna fucking love it.

Seshmeister
06-27-2010, 02:23 PM
No bit torrent yet from last night?

I pay for VH1 here but they haven't shown it which in my book means I can steal it with a clean conscience. :)

kwame k
06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Watched it last night and thought it was brilliantly done. So much great music and songs I had forgotten all about.........when a docu makes you want to go out and rediscover a band based on the film itself, that IMO, is a great docu.

Diamondjimi
06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Some real rare footage I`ve never seen before, including B+W contemporary footage of the band performing "2112"!

Clips only but you get excerpts of "Overture", "Presentation" and "Grand Finale" so the whole film must exist.

Haven't seen the doc. yet. The footage might be from Passaic New Jersey. Got that one on dvd boot.( with time code on screen)

chefcraig
06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Just watched it (got it this morning - thanks PLAY).

Fucking awesome, highly recommended to anyone who likes Rush.

There were commercials during the VH-1 showing advertising the DVD release. It includes a boatload of bonus material. It's a two disc set, with over three hours of video including deleted scenes and about 90 minutes worth of unreleased live footage. And the Best Buy version throws in a T shirt!

Hardrock69
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow. Best Buy here I come, though the shirt will probably not fit me.

chefcraig
06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
From Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140207):

The DVD features a bonus disc that includes the following exclusive material:

01. Being Bullied and The Search for The First Gig
02. Reflections on the album Hemispheres
03. "Presto" and "Roll The Bones" Rap
04. The Rush Fashion
05. Hobbies on the Road
06. Rush Trekkies
07. Pre-Gig Warm-Up
08. Best I Can (never-before-seen footage w/ original drummer, John Rutsey from 1974)
09. Working Man (never-before-seen footage w/ original drummer, John Rutsey from 1974)
10. La Villa Strangiato - Live at Pinkpop Festival in Holland from 1979 (first time this epic song was captured on video)
11. Between The Sun and Moon - Hartford, CT (from the band’s first show back after hiatus in 2002)
12. Dinner with RUSH at a Hunting Lodge
13. Far Cry (live) - from the "Snakes & Arrows" DVD
14. Entre Nous (live) – from the ‘Snakes & Arrows’ DVD
15. Bravado (rare live version) - previously only available on the "R30" Blu-ray version
16. YYZ (rare live version) - previously only available on the "R30" Blu-ray version

Mr Badguy
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I have to say I was expecting more from the "Reflections on "Hemispheres"" chapter.

It only ran three minutes.

I was expecting an in depth analysis of the troubles of writing/recording it and how they feel about it now.

Disappointed with that.

Hardrock69
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Ah well. Still more info on Rush in a documentary than I had before.

ThrillsNSpills
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I have to say I was expecting more from the "Reflections on "Hemispheres"" chapter.

It only ran three minutes.

I was expecting an in depth analysis of the troubles of writing/recording it and how they feel about it now.

Disappointed with that.

Well I appreciate you mentioning this, as Hemispheres is my favorite Rush album by far.
a classic progressive hard rock masterpiece, which is saying much as they've done many incredible albums.

Taylor Hawkins was right though, not a chick band. Seems like many can't get past the voice of Geddy. but Rush has to win above all bands as having great songs that you forget about. Love it or hate it, you can't argue that they're one of the most original hard rock bands/

Va Beach VH Fan
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Watched it late last night. Out-fucking-standing....

The only thing that disappointed me was there wasn't that much mentioned in terms of the greatness of Neal Peart. For all we know, that's due to Peart being so private and humble.

Other than that, very well put together. I thought most of the commentators really nailed it in terms of how to describe Rush.....

Jagermeister
06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Watched it late last night. Out-fucking-standing....

The only thing that disappointed me was there wasn't that much mentioned in terms of the greatness of Neal Peart. For all we know, that's due to Peart being so private and humble.

Other than that, very well put together. I thought most of the commentators really nailed it in terms of how to describe Rush.....

I guess I'll add this to my growing shopping list. Peart is a bad ass. The term "drummer" does not do him. He is a percussionist. Now I can't wait to see this.

tojoro
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
A buddy of mine picked this up for me while out shopping and dropped it off here at work. $19.99 on sale, plus it came with an awesome Moving Pictures t-shirt that looked like the ones sold outside the venue!
Now I have to wait three hours before I can head home to watch this puppy.
In my opinion, everything from 2112 to Moving Pictures is in dire need of the 'Classic Albums' treatment.
Make it happen. Box it up. Sell it as a set. I'll buy that shit right fucking now!

Hardrock69
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
'percussionist' does not do him right. "DOCTOR of Percussive Arts" might be getting there. How about God Of All That Drums?

Jagermeister
06-29-2010, 01:46 PM
'percussionist' does not do him right. "DOCTOR of Percussive Arts" might be getting there. How about God Of All That Drums?

:baaa:

chefcraig
06-29-2010, 03:36 PM

I've had this same conversation with folks over the years, and when terms like "great drummer" or "percussionist" are mentioned, I wise-assedly disagree, repeating the words "No he isn't" or "You're wrong" over and over, watching their disbelief at what I'm saying dissolve into unbridled anger. When I'm confident that my life is in mortal danger, I quietly announce that "Neil Peart is not a drummer, nor a percussionist. He is an athlete". Suddenly, the tension disappears and all is forgiven, amongst some hearty laughter and enthusiastic agreement.

Seshmeister
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't know how he can keep doing that for 3 hours including his warmup each night, he's nearly 60 FFS.

Does he not smoke too?

Jagermeister
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Canadian rock legends RUSH kicked off a 40-date North American tour earlier tonight (Tuesday, June 29) in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The trek features the band's first-ever performance of its classic 1981 album "Moving Pictures" in its entirety.

The band's setlist was as follows:

Set 1:

01. Video Intro
02. The Spirit of Radio
03. Time Stand Still
04. Presto
05. Stick It Out
06. Workin' Them Angels
07. Leave That Thing Alone!
08. Faithless
09. BU2B
10. Freewill
11. Marathon
12. Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2:

13. Tom Sawyer
14. Red Barchetta
15. YYZ
16. Limelight
17. The Camera Eye
18. Witch Hunt
19. Vital Signs
20. Caravan
21. Drum Solo
22. Closer to the Heart
22. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
23. Far Cry

Encore

24. La Villa Strangiato
25. Working Man
26. Video Outro

Fan-filmed footage of the concert can be viewed below.

Guitarist Alex Lifeson told The Pulse of Radio how the idea came about to play "Moving Pictures" live from front to back. "Actually Neil [Peart, drums] was the one that brought it up," he said. "He thought the idea was great, and one of our songs, 'Camera Eye', has been probably the top song on our request list from fans for years. So it really gives us an opportunity to include that in the set and to present it with the whole album. Much of that material we've been playing for a long time anyways, so it wasn't that difficult to really fit it all in, and I love the idea of it and it's really working well during rehearsals."

The award-winning and acclaimed documentary about RUSH, called "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage", arrived today on DVD and Blu-ray after premiering and winning the Audience Choice Award at the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival this past April.

The film, which traces the band's entire career from the late Sixties until now, made its TV premiere on Saturday night (June 26) on VH1 Classic.

The band has just released two new tracks, "Caravan" and "BU2B", online and will return to the studio after the tour to complete its next album, titled "Clockwork Angels".

RUSH received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last Friday (June 25) in Los Angeles, with the band inducted by SMASHING PUMPKINS frontman and longtime fan Billy Corgan

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1ZUdF9Q-3M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1ZUdF9Q-3M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Jagermeister
06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I am getting more excited about this. Moving Pictures for me is the RUSH album.

Nitro Express
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't know how he can keep doing that for 3 hours including his warmup each night, he's nearly 60 FFS.

Does he not smoke too?

I met Neil way back when they were doing the Signals tour. I believe it was 1982. He grew up on a farm and jazz drumming was his passion. But he grew up on a farm and has that work ethic to him and drumming probably is less work that a lot of the stuff he grew up doing, plus he likes drumming. He probably doesn't look at it as work at all. It was clear when I met him he perfectly knew he was enjoying doing something most people don't get to enjoy. It was pretty clear he knew how lucky he was. He seemed like a normal dude.

Mr Badguy
06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Set 1:

01. Video Intro
02. The Spirit of Radio
03. Time Stand Still
04. Presto
05. Stick It Out
06. Workin' Them Angels
07. Leave That Thing Alone!
08. Faithless
09. BU2B
10. Freewill
11. Marathon
12. Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2:

13. Tom Sawyer
14. Red Barchetta
15. YYZ
16. Limelight
17. The Camera Eye
18. Witch Hunt
19. Vital Signs
20. Caravan
21. Drum Solo
22. Closer to the Heart
22. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
23. Far Cry

Encore

24. La Villa Strangiato
25. Working Man
26. Video Outro

I hope we get a live CD/DVD of this.

I don`t care if they release umpteen live albums, I`ll buy all of them.

tojoro
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
The bonus disc has some good stuff...the 4hr dinner at the hunting lodge was funny...those boys got pretty tipsy:D
The Canadian headbanger that ended the 'Rush Trekkies' segment was awesome: "Nice camera, eh?"
The kid was so sincere and so fuckin' pumped to see Rush!
My only complaint was that it was about four hours too short!

ODShowtime
07-03-2010, 11:29 AM
""DOCTOR of Percussive Arts" might be getting there."

They call him "the professor"

Or "Dr. Braino"

Va Beach VH Fan
07-03-2010, 12:00 PM
So am I correct in assuming that the DVD is simply the show that aired on VH1 plus the bonus stuff above ??

chefcraig
07-03-2010, 12:10 PM
So am I correct in assuming that the DVD is simply the show that aired on VH1 plus the bonus stuff above ??

Pretty much, give or take a few moments that were edited out in order for VH-1 to fit commercials in. What is confusing is the product details are not the same at any two given sites. For instance, Amazon lists amongst it's product details that the initial DVD clocks in at one hour, with the bonus DVD at 90 minutes. Yet in the descriptive paragraph, it mentions over 3 hours of video footage is included. HUH? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

ODShowtime
07-05-2010, 12:24 PM
The best part is when Alex shows a bit of frustration when the keyboards take over for the guitars in the late 80s. Looks like pretty much everyone agrees! It was funny listening to the celebrity interviewees trying to say something nice about Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Man those albums are terrible.

Seshmeister
07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I liked them! :)

I took a break at Roll The Bones though.

Hardrock69
07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Stopped into Best Buy last night. They did not have it.

Fucking losers. This at a Nashville shopping center that just opened a couple of years ago called "Nashville West". Motherfuckers have stereo speakers outside ALL of the stores, blasting out fucking KUNTRY music all day long. Never mind that only a small percentage of people who shop there like KUNTRY music. It irritates the fuck out of me when I go there. Play some fucking METAL for chrissakes! :mad:

BITEYOASS
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
What really blew my mind about this documentary was the early footage. I didn't know they had video footage of Rutsey era Rush. Plus there was actual film footage of Alex having an argument with his parent about his musical career. Turns out that was from a documentary made by the late Allan King named "Come on Children," which is about some adolescents from Toronto who decide to live on a farm for ten weeks. One of the cast members happens to be Alex Lifeson, although he uses his real name in the credits.

http://www.allankingfilms.com/

Mr Badguy
09-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Watched it a few times now.

There's abosolutely nothing in it for you if you don't like Rush.

Or so my wife tells me.

Nitro Express
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Stopped into Best Buy last night. They did not have it.

Fucking losers. This at a Nashville shopping center that just opened a couple of years ago called "Nashville West". Motherfuckers have stereo speakers outside ALL of the stores, blasting out fucking KUNTRY music all day long. Never mind that only a small percentage of people who shop there like KUNTRY music. It irritates the fuck out of me when I go there. Play some fucking METAL for chrissakes! :mad:

When I go to the rodeo they play heavy metal. Especially during the bull riding events. There's less and less country twang now. When I was a kid it was a real twang fest and I wanted Scotty to beam me up because my mom and grandfather would hoop and holler in the stands. Now they play heavy metal and there's cute girls in tight jeans looking to get laid by some new meat.

Nitro Express
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Watched it a few times now.

There's abosolutely nothing in it for you if you don't like Rush.

Or so my wife tells me.

What a wonderful pair of jugs! I want to bast them in coconut oil and smother my face in them.

Diamondjimi
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
What really blew my mind about this documentary was the early footage. I didn't know they had video footage of Rutsey era Rush. Plus there was actual film footage of Alex having an argument with his parent about his musical career. Turns out that was from a documentary made by the late Allan King named "Come on Children," which is about some adolescents from Toronto who decide to live on a farm for ten weeks. One of the cast members happens to be Alex Lifeson, although he uses his real name in the credits.

http://www.allankingfilms.com/

I remember watching that move years ago on the CBC at something like 3 in the morning. I remember thinking, that long haired
dude looks familiar. Then of course he picks up a guitar and ya know right away. Kind of an interesting low budget documentary.
Goes to show how strong Alex's belief in his music was back then. It def. paid off big time for him...