PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick Planning to release new version of 'In Color'

rustoffa
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
It's been a fixture within Cheap Trick lore that the band's 1978 sophomore set 'In Color,' which features such Trick classics as 'I Want You to Want Me' and 'Southern Girls,' has been rerecorded, with sessions with Chicago producer Steve Albini dating back to 1998. Now the band reveals they've finished it, with hopes of a release date sometime in the not-so-distant future.

"We just finished it in the last 6 months," guitarist Rick Nielsen tells Spinner. "It wasn't a commercial thing we were looking to do. Most of the songs were good back in the 'In Color' days but the mix and the sound wasn't."

"It started out as us complaining about that album being bastardized by the producer [Tom Werman]," vocalist Robin Zander adds. "We never got around to fixing it. We'd leave and go on tour and they'd fix it and it became a different."

Speculation arose when the band recently contributed a new version of the album's opener, 'Hello There' to 'Rock Band 2,' a move that Zander says made the rerecorded track really fall into place. "We did a version that is totally different," he says. "It's way cool and sounds great. Now we know a lot more about what we're doing."

Cheap Trick are currently approaching a year of touring in support of their latest studio album, aptly titled 'The Latest,' and have recently announced a string of dates this summer with Blondie, starting August 20 at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield, Ill.

Link below with massive drama responses

www.spinner.com/2010/04/09/cheap-trick-rerelease-new-version-in-color/

GAR
04-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Cool.. whoever's trolling as "tom werman" that's a most XLNT troll.

You did your research and post like a champ!

sadaist
04-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Cheap Trick is awesome. Never seen a better band live. Down to earth & gritty. Weird they never really hit it huge. They are in a weird spot. Too good & popular to be an opening band, yet not quite big enough to headline the big shows.

ELVIS
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Shaddup and buy their crap...

:biggrin:

Coyote
04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the original as it is...

sadaist
04-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Shaddup and buy their crap...

:biggrin:

I won't....and I will. :)

I prefer the live version of I Want You To Want Me over the studio version.

binnie
04-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd prefer remasters - regardless of the superior quality of production these days, I always think that re-recordings lose a lot of the spark of the original.........