PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if the Tea Party Was Black

Dr. Love
04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
"Imagine if the Tea Party Was Black" - Tim Wise

Let’s play a game, shall we? The name of the game is called “Imagine.” The way it’s played is simple: we’ll envision recent happenings in the news, but then change them up a bit. Instead of envisioning white people as the main actors in the scenes we’ll conjure - the ones who are driving the action - we’ll envision black folks or other people of color instead. The object of the game is to imagine the public reaction to the events or incidents, if the main actors were of color, rather than white. Whoever gains the most insight into the workings of race in America, at the end of the game, wins.

So let’s begin.

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government? Would these protester — these black protesters with guns — be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that’s what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation’s capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country’s political leaders if the need arose.

Imagine that white members of Congress, while walking to work, were surrounded by thousands of angry black people, one of whom proceeded to spit on one of those congressmen for not voting the way the black demonstrators desired. Would the protesters be seen as merely patriotic Americans voicing their opinions, or as an angry, potentially violent, and even insurrectionary mob? After all, this is what white Tea Party protesters did recently in Washington.

Imagine that a rap artist were to say, in reference to a white president: “He’s a piece of shit and I told him to suck on my machine gun.” Because that’s what rocker Ted Nugent said recently about President Obama.

Imagine that a prominent mainstream black political commentator had long employed an overt bigot as Executive Director of his organization, and that this bigot regularly participated in black separatist conferences, and once assaulted a white person while calling them by a racial slur. When that prominent black commentator and his sister — who also works for the organization — defended the bigot as a good guy who was misunderstood and “going through a tough time in his life” would anyone accept their excuse-making? Would that commentator still have a place on a mainstream network? Because that’s what happened in the real world, when Pat Buchanan employed as Executive Director of his group, America’s Cause, a blatant racist who did all these things, or at least their white equivalents: attending white separatist conferences and attacking a black woman while calling her the n-word.

Imagine that a black radio host were to suggest that the only way to get promoted in the administration of a white president is by “hating black people,” or that a prominent white person had only endorsed a white presidential candidate as an act of racial bonding, or blamed a white president for a fight on a school bus in which a black kid was jumped by two white kids, or said that he wouldn’t want to kill all conservatives, but rather, would like to leave just enough—“living fossils” as he called them—“so we will never forget what these people stood for.” After all, these are things that Rush Limbaugh has said, about Barack Obama’s administration, Colin Powell’s endorsement of Barack Obama, a fight on a school bus in Belleville, Illinois in which two black kids beat up a white kid, and about liberals, generally.

Imagine that a black pastor, formerly a member of the U.S. military, were to declare, as part of his opposition to a white president’s policies, that he was ready to “suit up, get my gun, go to Washington, and do what they trained me to do.” This is, after all, what Pastor Stan Craig said recently at a Tea Party rally in Greenville, South Carolina.

Imagine a black radio talk show host gleefully predicting a revolution by people of color if the government continues to be dominated by the rich white men who have been “destroying” the country, or if said radio personality were to call Christians or Jews non-humans, or say that when it came to conservatives, the best solution would be to “hang ‘em high.” And what would happen to any congressional representative who praised that commentator for “speaking common sense” and likened his hate talk to “American values?” After all, those are among the things said by radio host and best-selling author Michael Savage, predicting white revolution in the face of multiculturalism, or said by Savage about Muslims and liberals, respectively. And it was Congressman Culbertson, from Texas, who praised Savage in that way, despite his hateful rhetoric.

Imagine a black political commentator suggesting that the only thing the guy who flew his plane into the Austin, Texas IRS building did wrong was not blowing up Fox News instead. This is, after all, what Anne Coulter said about Tim McVeigh, when she noted that his only mistake was not blowing up the New York Times.

Imagine that a popular black liberal website posted comments about the daughter of a white president, calling her “typical redneck trash,” or a “whore” whose mother entertains her by “making monkey sounds.” After all that’s comparable to what conservatives posted about Malia Obama on freerepublic.com last year, when they referred to her as “ghetto trash.”

Imagine that black protesters at a large political rally were walking around with signs calling for the lynching of their congressional enemies. Because that’s what white conservatives did last year, in reference to Democratic party leaders in Congress.

In other words, imagine that even one-third of the anger and vitriol currently being hurled at President Obama, by folks who are almost exclusively white, were being aimed, instead, at a white president, by people of color. How many whites viewing the anger, the hatred, the contempt for that white president would then wax eloquent about free speech, and the glories of democracy? And how many would be calling for further crackdowns on thuggish behavior, and investigations into the radical agendas of those same people of color?

To ask any of these questions is to answer them. Protest is only seen as fundamentally American when those who have long had the luxury of seeing themselves as prototypically American engage in it. When the dangerous and dark “other” does so, however, it isn’t viewed as normal or natural, let alone patriotic. Which is why Rush Limbaugh could say, this past week, that the Tea Parties are the first time since the Civil War that ordinary, common Americans stood up for their rights: a statement that erases the normalcy and “American-ness” of blacks in the civil rights struggle, not to mention women in the fight for suffrage and equality, working people in the fight for better working conditions, and LGBT folks as they struggle to be treated as full and equal human beings.

And this, my friends, is what white privilege is all about. The ability to threaten others, to engage in violent and incendiary rhetoric without consequence, to be viewed as patriotic and normal no matter what you do, and never to be feared and despised as people of color would be, if they tried to get away with half the shit we do, on a daily basis.

Game Over.

http://ephphatha-poetry.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagine-if-tea-party-was-black-tim-wise.html

Blackflag
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Sounds like the black panthers. Except for the shooting cops part.

Nickdfresh
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't recall the Black Panthers actually advocating the shooting of cops. They were big on militant self-defense though. And a senior BP was murdered by a death squad detective section of the Chicago PD though...

Blackflag
04-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Then you have a poor memory.

Nickdfresh
04-30-2010, 12:42 AM
By all means, do refresh...

Blackflag
04-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Seriously? Nobody here wants to have a conversation with you because you constantly act like a fucking cunt. Least of all me.

hambon4lif
04-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Fuck it then, I'll do it!

Not only do I find the initial post detestable beyond words, but I honestly feel it sets the entire human race back to the last century!....not an easy feat, but thanks to people like Tim Wise and Dr. Love....it has been brought to my attention that it's entirely possible.

The whole thing reads like a really bad out-take of Matthew McConaugheys closing argument in "Time To Kill", and anyone with even an ounce of honesty in their gut would agree that Mr. Wise' rant does much more to divide than to unite. The only time the race card is played is by Obama himself and his brainwashed minions when someone objects to his decisions or his way of doing things. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that he happens to be half-black, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that they feel that what he's doing is just plain wrong!

You can bet your very last dollar that I have a rebuttal on-deck that would make both Mr. Timothy Wise and Dr. Love crawl away in exasperating embarassment.....but I'll go ahead and take the high road. I'm not here to cause any trouble, and I know Love's a friend of many that are reading this post right now.......but every now and then, someone posts something so dispicable and detestable that someone is compelled to speak out against it....I felt this was one of those rare occasions.

I feel it's just wrong! Not only that, but I feel it creates more problems than solutions...let's start fixing the problems we have instead of creating more.

This is 2010 goddamnit.....wake the fuck up!!

sadaist
04-30-2010, 04:08 AM
I don't recall the Black Panthers actually advocating the shooting of cops.

They sure were mean to Forrest Gump.

hambon4lif
04-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Let’s play a game, shall we? The name of the game is called “Imagine.”

Imagine that a rap artist were to say, in reference to a white president: “He’s a piece of shit and I told him to suck on my machine gun.” Because that’s what rocker Ted Nugent said recently about President Obama.I have an even better idea! Let's play a game called "Keeping It Real"..where we cut the bullshit and are forced to deal with the existing problems this country faces on a daily basis, and what we, as a people, can do to resolve it. Sounds like fucking fun to me! An absolute hoot!

The word 'imagine' is very John Lennon in the minds of many, and though I'm one of his biggest fans, the word suggests that we take our minds to another place, we no longer have the luxury of daydreaming, so let's just cut the fucking shit okay?
I know that idea alone kicks the legs out from under your stance, but I no longer feel like daydreaming or being distracted by silly games.

I guess my first case in point would be........what rapper would ever listen to anything Uncle Nuge says? take your time answering that one....

Blaze
04-30-2010, 06:53 AM
However, it pointed out that the word (real) "has virtually synonymous with 'criminal' and, in some cases, almost superseded the idea of being able to actually rap"
Meadows-Ingram, Benjamin (December 2008), "Guns And Roses", Vibe 16 (12): pp. 93–99

http://books.google.com/books?id=qiYEAAAAMBAJ

Nickdfresh
04-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Seriously? Nobody here wants to have a conversation with you because you constantly act like a fucking cunt. Least of all me.

Yet it's funny how so many actually keep responding to me. I'm "a cunt?" You sound a tad unhinged and on the verge of asking to be banned again.

But I'm pretty sure while I'll win no popularity cuntests here, you've got be beat for Cunt and Homecunting Queen this year...

Nickdfresh
04-30-2010, 07:48 AM
They sure were mean to Forrest Gump.

That's because he ruined their Black Panther Party by pissing up a Trotskyist douchebag. Who wouldn't be angry...

BigBadBrian
04-30-2010, 08:24 AM
More desperate attempts by the left to stop lawful protests against Obama's policies. Now Obama himself is feeling inadequate and is playing the race card.

Unchainme
04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Yet it's funny how so many actually keep responding to me. I'm "a cunt?" You sound a tad unhinged and on the verge of asking to be banned again.

But I'm pretty sure while I'll win no popularity cuntests here, you've got be beat for Cunt and Homecunting Queen this year...

nick post the video.

LoungeMachine
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Now Obama himself is feeling inadequate and is playing the race card.

I'm sure the president didn't mean to impose on your territory.

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
04-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm "a cunt?" You sound a tad unhinged and on the verge of asking to be banned again.

You just proved his point with that statement, Nikkk. Lighten up!

Blackflag
04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Homecunting Queen this year...

That may be the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me.

Dr. Love
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Fuck it then, I'll do it!

Not only do I find the initial post detestable beyond words, but I honestly feel it sets the entire human race back to the last century!....not an easy feat, but thanks to people like Tim Wise and Dr. Love....it has been brought to my attention that it's entirely possible.

The whole thing reads like a really bad out-take of Matthew McConaugheys closing argument in "Time To Kill", and anyone with even an ounce of honesty in their gut would agree that Mr. Wise' rant does much more to divide than to unite. The only time the race card is played is by Obama himself and his brainwashed minions when someone objects to his decisions or his way of doing things. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that he happens to be half-black, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that they feel that what he's doing is just plain wrong!

You can bet your very last dollar that I have a rebuttal on-deck that would make both Mr. Timothy Wise and Dr. Love crawl away in exasperating embarassment.....but I'll go ahead and take the high road. I'm not here to cause any trouble, and I know Love's a friend of many that are reading this post right now.......but every now and then, someone posts something so dispicable and detestable that someone is compelled to speak out against it....I felt this was one of those rare occasions.

I feel it's just wrong! Not only that, but I feel it creates more problems than solutions...let's start fixing the problems we have instead of creating more.

This is 2010 goddamnit.....wake the fuck up!!

By all means then, Hambaloney, let's hear this response you have. I'll do my best to steel my resolve against the impending exasperation and embarassment I'm sure to feel at such a rebuttal... ;)

I am not offended or frightened to hear opinions that I disagree with or do not share. My mind is not so narrow or closed as some around here, and I am completely capable of contemplating ideas that don't originate within my own philosophy or beliefs. I'd like to think you can do the same, but the tenor of your post has left me in doubt.

Dr. Love
04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Additionally, I believe the point of the article was not that Obama is half-black, but rather you wouldn't hear so much excuse-making and liberty-justifying if it were a mob of armed angry black people instead of an armed angry white people.

It seems you missed that point in your knee-jerk reaction.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Additionally, I believe the point of the article was not that Obama is half-black, but rather you wouldn't hear so much excuse-making and liberty-justifying if it were a mob of armed angry black people instead of an armed angry white people.

the whole article is a black vs. white debate. one million men descend on dc and it was ok. no different than a "teaparty"

PETE'S BROTHER
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I am not offended or frightened to hear opinions that I disagree with or do not share.

what is your opinion about the blog somebody else imagined up?

hambon4lif
04-30-2010, 05:53 PM
By all means then, Hambaloney, let's hear this response you have. I'll do my best to steel my resolve against the impending exasperation and embarassment I'm sure to feel at such a rebuttal... ;)

I am not offended or frightened to hear opinions that I disagree with or do not share. My mind is not so narrow or closed as some around here, and I am completely capable of contemplating ideas that don't originate within my own philosophy or beliefs. I'd like to think you can do the same, but the tenor of your post has left me in doubt.I'd rather just let it go.

....I will say this though. If Mr. Wise is so overwrought with 'white guilt', then perhaps he should take it to his priest. It's an issue that should be dealt with between yourself and god.
When you put it out as a blog on a public forum, it comes across as race-baiting, and I'm not playing that game. I'd like to think that we, as people, have progressed somwhat beyond that nonsense. We've been through this already, and we all know it doesn't end well....for ANYONE. So why go in reverse and revisit it?

I almost hate to inform Mr. Wise that black people do attend Tea Partys, maybe if he were to talk to some of them, he'd see his hypothetical ramblings for what they are.....

I'm fucking done with this. If he wants to get the people fired up and take the Civil Rights movement back 50 years, then fine! He can do it without people like me, who are choosing to look ahead instead.

Dr. Love
04-30-2010, 05:59 PM
the whole article is a black vs. white debate. one million men descend on dc and it was ok. no different than a "teaparty"

oh right, I forgot ... many of those people in the million man march were calling for secession, making veiled hints about taking up arms -- when they weren't openly carrying guns. ;) ;)

Dr. Love
04-30-2010, 06:00 PM
what is your opinion about the blog somebody else imagined up?

My opinion is that if anyone wants to protest, there are peaceful ways to do it ... and the most effective form of protest is voting the person/party you disagree with out of office. I do think there is a double standard and I do think what some people in the "tea party" do is reprehensible.

Blackflag
04-30-2010, 06:10 PM
oh right, I forgot ... many of those people in the million man march were calling for secession, making veiled hints about taking up arms -- when they weren't openly carrying guns. ;) ;)

I don't like guns around the president, I think that's bullshit.

Other than that, who gives a fuck if somebody is carrying a gun - especially unloaded? That's more stupid than frightening. People need to let their balls drop and stop crying about everything.

jhale667
04-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Yep, and that's why the million-man march comparison is utter bullshit...

knuckleboner
04-30-2010, 06:33 PM

i'll take you one better, doc.

the article shouldn't have been about black protestors. It should’ve focused on Hispanic protestors in Arizona protesting the new immigration law.

let’s say they complain vocally that this law is clearly unconstitutional and un-American. the founding fathers, they’d say, WERE the immigrants and would NEVER pass a law like this. In fact, the founding fathers would’ve fought against this bill, they might say.

so, like the article says, they show up at protests, yelling, carrying pictures of sheriff joe as a nazi, and making mildly obscene references to the governor’s lineage.

let’s say they carried weapons, lawfully, to many of their protests, and advocated that they would defend the constitution by any means necessary.

now, the real question is not whether the fox news crowd would agree with the protestors. it’s whether they would say, “i disagree with these guys’ take on the constitutionality of the law, but i respect their protest,” or would the commentators be more likely to be a little harsher in their assessment of the protestors, themselves?

that’s a perfectly valid question to raise when discussing certain segments of the media and political establishment’s treatment of the tea party.

(mind you, the same would hold true for the democrats: those that attack the tactics of the tea partiers would hopefully attack the hypothetical hispanic protest, regardless of whether they agreed with the sentiment.)

PETE'S BROTHER
04-30-2010, 06:35 PM

they certainly weren't shiny happy people holding hands. farrakhan was spreading peace and love.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-30-2010, 06:37 PM
My opinion is that if anyone wants to protest, there are peaceful ways to do it ... and the most effective form of protest is voting the person/party you disagree with out of office. I do think there is a double standard and I do think what some people in the "tea party" do is reprehensible.

i couldn't agree more. the double standard door swings both ways tho.:umm:is that a contradiction?

Nickdfresh
04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
You just proved his point with that statement, Nikkk. Lighten up!

WTF are you talking about? When have you ever had a "point?"

Nickdfresh
04-30-2010, 07:06 PM
That may be the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me.

Once every so often, you make me giggle. :biggrin:

Mushroom
04-30-2010, 08:06 PM
If the TEA party (Taxed Enough Already) was black, I would not fear a TEA party. If it was KWK ("Kill White Kracker") yes I would be concerned. If it was 1000-man KKK march with guns yes I would be concerned. Mr. Wise :fufu:

BigBadBrian
05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Yep, and that's why the million-man march comparison is utter bullshit...

Only an illogical-thinking knuckledragger like you would think that. :hee:

jhale667
05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Only an illogical-thinking knuckledragger like you would think that. :hee:

Said the guy with the minimal forehead who wouldn't know what to do with a brain if someone GAVE him one...:lmao: