PDA

View Full Version : If It Keeps On Raining, The Levee's Gonna Break......

Hardrock69
05-02-2010, 05:21 PM
In the Gnashville area, they say we got 10-13 inches of rain just YESTERDAY.
It has not stopped. It rained all night and is still raining.

Made a trip to the store in West Gnashville yesterday. I barely made it home alive. Out in the sticks, many 2-lane roads run alongside creeks. They were all overflowing drastically.

I am not sure if I will be able to make it to work tomorrow, as every road within several miles of my house intersects or runs alongside a creek, lake or river.

Here is a pic I took not far from my house. To the right of the image, it is just people's large 1-acre front yards....flat land. Behind their houses though are steep hills. To the left of the road, is a creek. These people were pushing a car that tried to make it through the water, but got stalled:

http://i42.tinypic.com/5aky1u.jpg

TAKIN WHISKEY
05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Be safe dude, and don't risk your well being or possibly screwing up your car, for one day of work. Peace!

GAR
05-03-2010, 01:11 AM
What a nice, sunny day it was today.. kickin' back.. clickin' channels watching my chick do her nails on the patio in the sunlight with the ocean breeze.. sailboat's bells clankin'.. gulls squawking while I fuckin' hit them bitches pink with the paintgun..

OHYEAHH! The weather is so good in LA but you shoulda moved west young man, like.. 5 generations ago when you had the chance.

Hardrock69
05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Yep, you're an asshole.

The main rehearsal facility here (comparable to S.I.R.) is a place called SoundCheck. It is under water, and a lot of major country artists have gear stored there that is ruined.

Not that I care about cuntry music, but as a musician, I feel for them guys.

All of my stuff is high and dry, much to Gar's irritation.

Igosplut
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
What a nice, sunny day it was today.. kickin' back.. clickin' channels watching my chick do her nails on the patio in the sunlight with the ocean breeze.. sailboat's bells clankin'.. gulls squawking while I fuckin' hit them bitches pink with the paintgun..

OHYEAHH! The weather is so good in LA but you shoulda moved west young man, like.. 5 generations ago when you had the chance.

Walter Mitty edit: No rain today, Refridge box is dry, great day for panhandling, then go down to the library and tell those posters how much their gear sucks and about my great house. Life is good, somebody just threw me five bucks.......

Mr Walker
05-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Where are all those fucktards like Bono & George Clooney and the others who pissed and moaned about sending money to Haiti... fucking jerks!!!

Grand Ole Opry Flood Devastating, Opryland Hotel Underwater

CHRIS TALBOTT | 05/ 3/10 10:36 PM | AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Country stars were heartbroken to learn Monday that the mecca of their music, The Grand Ole Opry House, was hit by floodwaters that washed over the city and are concerned about how much damage was done to the landmark.

The stage is of particular concern. At the center is a circle made of floorboards cut from the old stage at the Opry's former home of Ryman Auditorium. It's considered by many to be the heart of country music.

"As a country singer, there is only one place you dream of playing in your lifetime, and that is the Grand Ole Opry House," singer Blake Shelton said in an e-mail. "Standing on center stage in the 6-foot circle of wood cut from the stage of the Ryman is something I never take for granted. The history and legacy of that circle is awe-inspiring."

Grand Ole Opry member Dierks Bentley canceled a couple of shows over the weekend for the first time in his career to take care of flooding at his house, which paled in comparison, he said.

"We've all been affected by it," Bentley said of the flooding. "There's devastation all over the city. But to see the Grand Ole Opry affected, that just really hit home for me, even more than having water in my house."

Bentley, whose hits include "Sideways" and "I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes," said the destruction at the Grand Ole Opry House was topic No. 1 for country music players Monday. It's unclear how much water inundated the entertainment complex. Pictures put out with a news release show water at least 3 feet high and this week's scheduled shows have been moved to alternate venues.

Shelton, who's hits include "She Wouldn't Be Gone," and this year's "Hillbilly Bone," a duet with Trace Atkins, is scheduled to play there May 13.

"The Opry House is hallowed ground," Shelton said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We all need to help to make sure it lasts. I am devastated to hear that it is affected by this disaster."

The Opry House is part of the large Gaylord Opryland Hotel complex that took on water when the Cumberland River rose more than 12 feet above flood stage due to record rains that have inundated middle and western Tennessee. An aerial view showed the area surrounded by water.
Story continues below

"My first job in music was at Opryland USA," singer John Rich said in an e-mail. "To see it under water is a heartbreaking thing. I am sure the country music community will pull together and help overcome this disaster. I am ready to roll up my sleeves as soon as I get the call."

The flood hits as the Opry was poised for an 85th birthday celebration. Tuesday night's Opry show will be at War Memorial Auditorium and weekend shows will be moved to the Ryman Auditorium. Both are former homes to the Opry.

The Grand Ole Opry has been held at the Opry House in east Nashville since 1974, with an annual winter sojourn to the Ryman each February since 1999. The Opry puts on 150 shows a year and the House hosts other concerts and performances.

This is the second time the Opry has been forced from the complex. Flooding on the Cumberland in 1975 also pushed the show to Nashville's Municipal Auditorium.

"While we ourselves are shaken by the impact of the flooding of the Opry House and throughout the area, it is important that Nashville's most treasured tradition continues with this week's shows," Grand Ole Opry vice president Pete Fisher said in the release.

It's unclear how long shows will have to be moved to other venues and it did not give details on how much water is in the Opry House. Pictures of the stage door show water above the door knob and a shot of the facade showed water several feet high as well.

The nearby hotel had 10 feet of water inside early Monday and flood waters had yet to reach their crest early Monday evening. City officials said earlier in the day the hotel would be closed for weeks up to several months. The hotel's website said reservations would not be accepted for several weeks.

Based on his own experience with the flood damage at his home, Bentley wasn't optimistic about the Opry's stage: "At my house, if water touches anything, it's ruined. That wood, hell, maybe it's got enough magic on it that it can survive the worst. I think everything in there is toast."

Seshmeister
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Hallelujah it's a sign, it's a sign! :biggrin:

Hardrock69
05-05-2010, 10:27 AM
LOL!

The stage may have a circle of floorboards from the original stage, but the ACTUAL Grand Ol' Opry (The Ryman Auditorium) escaped damage. So I would not be too freaked out about the modern "Grand Ol' Opry). I could see it being a real tragedy if the Ryman got fucked up, as THAT is the place where history was made. Seen some good rock concerts there (at the Ryman)....Jeff Beck, Robert Plant, Queensryche, Alice Cooper, G3...

GAR
05-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Did the Gibson factory make it? Did Gruhn Guitars go undamaged?

Blackflag
05-06-2010, 02:04 AM
This is why I like Memphis better. And it's the home of the blues.

Hardrock69
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Gibson factory was under water. Just knowing where Gruhn is, it got flooded as well, though all the super rare stuff is on the upper floors of the building.

Blackflag
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM
When it gets to the top floor, then there's a problem.

hambon4lif
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
It turns out that some friends & I are going down to Ashland City for a week to help out with the Cheatham County River Road project. We applied for volunteer services last week, and they contacted us today telling us our services are most useful there. They say they're in need of cleaning supplies and carpenters, but we're heading down there with 4 U-Haul moving boxes full of clothes and shoes....I guess we'll have to donate them through Salvation Army or Red Cross. What they're in need of most is some serious manual labor.....the waters may have receded, but they're still in need of some serious help. Anyone can see from this clip that there is ALOT of work to be done still...
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFjaQoOdJvI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFjaQoOdJvI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Anyone in the vicinity that's offering to help, or anyone who can donate, can go to Hands On Nashville (hon.org) to find out what's needed and what you can do. They've got a very long way to go, and they're not throwing their hands in the air, doing nothing, and waiting for Obama to declare it a 'national disaster'. They're very prideful, but they'd very much appreciate anything you could do. This is a very beautiful part of our country, and it'll be worth the effort to restore it as much as we can.

How Hammy Spent His Summer Vacation....LOL! I don't fucking care what anyone says....this will be a cool experience.

Hardrock69
05-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Right on. Your efforts will be most welcome.

hambon4lif
06-29-2010, 11:41 PM
An Open Love Letter to Hands On Nashville
All of us at HandsOn Network stand in awe of the citizens of Nashville, their spirit of community, the incredible leadership demonstrated by Hands On Nashville and the example they set for us all.

Seemingly forgotten or somehow overlooked by the mainstream media, Nashville residents pulled together because service and volunteerism is at the very heart of the city’s soul.
As soon as the flood hit, Hands On Nashville sprung to action.
Between May 2, 2010 and yesterday, Hands On Nashville organized 11,862 Nashville volunteers to respond to those in need of flood relief.
Already, Hands On Nashville volunteers have contributed 50,210 volunteer hours at 612 Nashville locations.
That has all happened in the last eleven days.
Eleven. Days.
According to Independent Sector research, the time these volunteers have contributed has an associated economic value of $1,046,879.
Hands On Nashville is coordinating 49 flood relief projects today, right now.

Won’t you join us in giving them a virtual standing ovation?

This is an open love letter, a nation-wide letter of thanks and praise for Hands On Nashville.

We want to share this post with the tireless staff and the thousands of Nashville volunteers as a sign of deep respect and admiration.-HandsOnNetwork

........That's right, motherfuckas!!! Get your fatasses outta your seat, rise to your goddamn feet, and put your motherfuckin' hands together!!!
This was one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of in my life, and by the time we left, we knew we had made some kind of a difference in peoples lives.
It was alot of hard work, and I spent my vacation time down there doing this.....but those guys are total class. If I had to do it all over again....I'd do it all over again! They were just so together.....even by the time we had got there.
The whole experience was just fucking awesome!!!

hambon4lif
06-30-2010, 12:34 AM
This video gives you an idea of what we drove into...
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0VzV-OwPAIc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0VzV-OwPAIc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Matter of fact, when we got there, they were in the midst of a 3-day storm, on top of what they had already! I was thinking in the back of my mind how much Mother Nature can be such a fucking CUNT sometimes. Talk about adding insult to injury...
This vid was put together very professional, very tight. It also has a strange focus on the Wal-Mart in Ashland where we ended up going for supplies after the second day. (When you change your socks once every half-hour, you run out quick!). It also gives you an idea of what we got ourselves into....

No regrets, and like I said before, I'd do it again.
Tennessee ROCKS!!!

Hardrock69
06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
I stop at that WalMart on my way home from work periodically. They are not back to their usual self. Still do not have refrigerated display cases, though they did just open up a refrigerated room for some items that need to be refrigerated.

Your help was much appreciated.