PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Danzig and Henry Rollins Forever

SparkieD
05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
http://microcosmpublishing.com/catimages/hg_lg.jpg

http://microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/zines/3174/

Henry & Glenn Forever
by Tom Neely
Starring super-notorious musclebound punk/metaldudes Glenn Danzig and Henry Rollins (with a little help from super-notorious soft-rockdudes Hall and Oates) Henry & Glenn Forever is a love story to end all love stories! The premise of this Cantankerous Titles-released comic is explained at the front of the zine: “Henry and Glenn are very good 'friends.' They are also 'room mates.' Daryl and John live next door. They are satanists.” What follows is ultra-metal violence and cryfest diary entries, cringing self-doubt and mega-hilarious emo-meltdowns. Who knew Danzig was such a vulnerable, self-conscious sweety-pie? Who knew Rollins was such a caring spouse? Who knew Hall and Oates were so infernally evil—yet so considerate? Well, illustrating/writing team Igloo Tornado (featuring super-awesome comixdude Tom Neely) did and they kicked down 64 fully-illustrated pages with it. Genius on all fronts. Terrifyingly cute. Cutely terrifying. As the real-life Rollins says, quoted on the back cover, “Has Glenn seen this? Trust me, he would not be impressed.”

FORD
05-08-2010, 11:33 PM
This "love story" needs a theme song :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EieqgGA-8

Blackflag
05-08-2010, 11:46 PM
This thread is gay.

:fu:

SparkieD
05-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Ridiculous. And that doesn't even look like Henry Rollins. Someone needs drawing lessons.

My thoughts exactly. I knew you would be among the first to respond.

Diamondjimi
05-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Two LAME "singers". They deserve each other... :poofters:

Diamondjimi
05-10-2010, 02:22 PM
....thus confirms my opinion. . . . .. .

Diamondjimi
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Seriously, Chan. You think these humps are great singers?:smiley-sniffer:

SparkieD
05-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I doubt anybody would call these fellas great singers per se, but they have their place and do what they do well. I'll never claim to be a big fan of Danzig or solo Rollins for that matter, but Black Flag kicked all kinds of ass!

FORD
05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't how anyone can say Danzig can't sing. Rollins has always been more of a "rapper" (though he's not a hip hop artist, obviously.) Spoken word poetry. Sometimes set to music, sometimes not. Hell, some people say David Lee Roth isn't a singer, for that matter.

Or as Billy Idol put it, in an interview on MTV way back in 1982... "People think you gotta be bloody Mick Jagger or Robert Plant to make a record. Mick Jagger "can't" sing and Robert Plant "can". But do I listen to Robert Plant? Fuck no, I listen to Mick Jagger because he "can't" sing, and he's great"

Of course Billy may have been exaggerating.... Generation X was known to play a cover of Zeppelin's "Rock n Roll" on occasion, so he had to be listening to Robert Plant at some point. Anyway, principle applies. Mick... Rollins... Dave.... they'll never take Pavarotti's place at the Metropolitan Opera. But they're damn great at what they do.

Diamondjimi
05-11-2010, 02:14 AM
You want to have a serious convo about the vocal styles of these guys?

Not particularly.

To me, they're a couple of jag-off's who who should've spent less time wanking in front of a mirror and more time working on their singing...

Dungzig: Puffed up gorilla with side part who relies a lot on schtick and image...

Rollins: CVH fan...should stick to spoken word performances...

hideyoursheep
05-11-2010, 05:01 AM
If I wanted American Idol-type singing, I'd WATCH American Idol.

Lemmy can't sing worth a shit, but I'd rather listen to either of those guys than hear Axl fucking Rose wannnabes screaming like a woman that stepped on a board with a nail in it.

That's the allure of singers like this....they AREN'T the cookie-cutter frontmen.

Golden AWe
05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Rollins Band's COME IN AND BURN was actually a GRATE piece of music. I think it didn't succeed economically, but the jazzy band really complemented Rollins very well IMO.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gfkp76cjgOA&hl=fi_FI&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gfkp76cjgOA&hl=fi_FI&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But is Rollins really gay? I've heard rumours about it.

I enjoy Danzig as well. His music, not the steroid pose himself.

Diamondjimi
05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I think you got a LOW. SELF opin-ion, man/I see you standing. ALL. BY. Your. Se-elf.

Low self opinion? Mm K... (Rollins lyric, I get it)
What does THAT have to do with what I think of these two? Ive been a musician for decades, I think I'm qualified to form an educated opinion on the matter (even if it differs from yours) ;)

If the clips that our good moderator FORD and I posted right in here in this very thread don't make you rethink your opinion on Danzig's vocal abilities, then this conversation is hopeless. Not trying to convert you, but you're wrong saying they're "lame." These guys don't need schtick. They can deliver with a solitary white hot light bulb onstage.

IMO Rollins Band's "Do It" ep was decent. Good screamer/yeller, but def. not a singer...
And Danzig's voice is more suited for a piano lounge (when he's not hollering) His vocal range is beyond narrow and seems incapable of producing vibrato ( two things actual singers do possess)...

But after all it is only a matter of opinion.
There is no right or wrong when it comes to ones personal opinion.
(unless it's mine of course, thanks for clarifying ) :baaa:

Diamondjimi
05-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I give it to Rollins, he's got a brain and he makes good commentary.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MmMphO5gs4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MmMphO5gs4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
My favourite Danzig video... :biggrin:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bvckzMp-bWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bvckzMp-bWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

SparkieD
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
My favourite Danzig video... :biggrin:

Mine too :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
What are you talking about? Go back and read my post, please. I was giving an example of Rollins's vocal delivery. :rolleyes:

I'm WELL aware of his delivery, big deal..

Well, then most rock "singers" aren't singers at all as most sound like they're yelling out of a window if that's your definition of a singer.

Singers of today? There's a handfull of good ones. Def. NOT Jack White or Billy Corgan...
And if you might be considering Emo &Screamo as rock... most of those singers blow, imo..

[QUOTE=chan_bkny;1456361]Whatevah.

Exactly, a big hug and a smooch to ya for pointing out how "wrong" my opinion is. Next time I'll try and form the "right" one, like yours.:duh:

Diamondjimi
05-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Mine too :biggrin:

Hey, how goes it Sparkie?

FORD
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM

No, he's hetero. But he doesn't make a big issue of denying the rumors, because he doesn't want to encourage the thinking that being gay is something wrong, by immediately rushing out denials every time somebody makes the accusation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8vK0h7y28

He did a funnier spoken word bit called "The Gay Thing" addressing this rumor a few years ago, but I can't find that on YouTube.

binnie
05-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Henry Rollins is a immense talent and I really wish he'd make more music. Sure, he can't sing but 'singing' really isn't a necessary part of being a great metal/punk vocalist. That guy is intense - I can't think of many bands who have come close to capturing the nagry catharsis of albums like 'Life Time' and 'Hard Volume'. Sure, he could handle 'Unchained Melody', but listen to 'Gun In Mouth Blues' and tell me he's not an talent. A very, very, thoughtful lyricist too, and one who evolved far from his hardcore orgins - check out 'Cme In and Burn.'

I can't believe that anyone would question Danzig's importance - The Misfits and the first tow solo records? End Of.

SparkieD
05-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Dungzig: Puffed up gorilla with side part who relies a lot on schtick and image...

The schtick and image are what grate my nerves about him the most. Guys with 'small man syndrome' who bulk up to that point look ridiculous. Dude needs to let out some of that hot air, put on a shirt, and smile FFS. Life can't be that bad all the time.

FORD
05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
The schtick and image are what grate my nerves about him the most. Guys with 'small man syndrome' who bulk up to that point look ridiculous. Dude needs to let out some of that hot air, put on a shirt, and smile FFS. Life can't be that bad all the time.

Truth is, I think Glenn just bulked up so he could beat the shit out of Jerry Only, if he ever needed to do so. :biggrin:

Northern Girl
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM

Actually, I just read a recent interview by Henry and he has finally found a woman he is compatible with and is very happy. I'm thinking she may be a DJ but don't remember. Very intelligent, political minded, big reader...just what he was looking for and never thought he'd find.

GAR
05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Actually, I just read a recent interview by Henry and he has finally found a woman he is compatible with and is very happy.

Elton John had a brief moment such as this back in the mid-70's didn't he?

With a woman. Not with Henry Rollins. Though that may have happened back in Hank's Oki-Dog Hustler days..

hideyoursheep
05-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Glenn is 5' nothing and not on dope, so I can't knock on the dude for getting into some kinda shape. You have to admit, it gets more attention than a devilock.

Lemme ask you this, Jimi...Do you think Danzig, the band, could have made it without Glenn Danzig?

No.

As for Henry Rollins....Chuck Biscuits was asked about the difference in singing styles and his own words were, "Well, Henry doesn't really SING, does he?" But that's part of what makes him "Henry Rollins".

You either get it, or you don't....kinda like Dave.

VanHalenFan5150
05-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Seriously, Chan. You think these humps are great singers?:smiley-sniffer:

Henry Rollins is a pretty cool guy. Just not a good singer. :P