PDA

View Full Version : Democrat-Scum US Senate Hopeful LIES About Vietnam Service.

BigBadBrian
05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Richard Blumenthal, the Connecticut attorney general and presumed favorite to replace retiring Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), never served in Vietnam, despite frequent campaign trail references to his days serving in-country during the Vietnam War.

The revelation comes from an exposé in The New York Times, which details Blumenthal's 1970 enlistment in the Marine Reserve after receiving five previous deferments to attend Harvard College, attend graduate school in England, work for the Nixon administration and briefly work for The Washington Post. According to the Times, Blumenthal's Washington-based Marine unit performed local projects during the war, such as a Toys for Tots drive.

But Blumenthal, a Democrat, has spoken about his time in Vietnam during multiple campaign appearances around the state of Connecticut, including to a veterans group in Norwalk in 2008, when he said, "We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam."

He also once lamented the treatment Vietnam veterans received when they returned from service. "I remember the taunts, the insults, sometimes even physical abuse," he told a Bridgeport rally that same year. At a rally in 2003 where family members gathered to express support for American troops overseas, Blumenthal said, "When we returned, we saw nothing like this. Let us do better by this generation of men and women."

The Times interviewed Blumenthal for the article, who said he usually tries to make clear he served in the military in the Vietnam era, but not in combat in Vietnam. "My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam," he said.

On Tuesday, Blumenthal told the Associated Press that the Times story was an "outrageous distortion." He said he misspoke on a couple of occasions, and clearly stated in a televised debate in March that he had not served in Vietnam.

Meanwhile, his Republican opponent, Linda McMahon, took the unusual step of taking credit for the story. A blog post on the campaign's website says the campaign "fed" the story to the Times, and the author confirmed to The Daily Caller that McMahon's campaign is indeed taking credit for the story.

Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the National Republican Senate Committee, said Blumenthal owed Connecticut voters an explanation. "If you can't trust him to tell the truth about whether or not he served in Vietnam, you have to wonder what exactly you can trust about Richard Blumenthal," he said.

A Rasmussen poll conducted last week showed Blumenthal beating every other candidate by double digits, including his closest rival, McMahon, whom he led by 13 points.

Reaction to the story on Capitol Hill Tuesday varied.

Sen. Chris Dodd, whose seat Blumenthal would fill, stood by the attorney general, saying, "I know Dick Blumenthal. My support for him is unwaivering and I think he'll be a great United States senator."

Connecticut's other senator, Joe Lieberman, took a more muted approach. "It just happened, we need to give him time to respond," Lieberman said.

Republicans called the news "a blockbuster revelation."

Sen. John Cornyn, the GOP's top Senate recruiter, said the news would absolutly make the Connecticut Senate race more competitive for his party. "I haven't heard his explanation, but I think its got to be very damaging and I hope there is a good explanation for it," Cornyn said.

But Dodd took Cornyn's and other Republicans' predictions of Democratic demise in Connecticut reaction in stride. "Well they think that about every seat."

Mari Fagel contributed to this report.

BigBadBrian
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
LINK (http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/05/17/richard-blumenthal-conn-senate-hopeful-never-served-in-vietna/)

Where is your fucking outrage, DemocRATS?

chefcraig
05-19-2010, 11:00 AM

At this point in life, I have very little outrage left, having spent it on the dubious activities of both parties over the years. As a result, I tend to save it for the things in life that really matter, like when some dolt has more than 10 items or less in front of me at the express check-out, uncaring twits that leave their dogs out non-sheltered in the back yard 24/7 and allow them to bark unending, and the ignoramus that insists on bellowing into a cell phone while I'm attempting to watch a movie in a theater.

Politicians lie? Wow, now that's a newsflash. Got any word on the Hindenburg?

Unchainme
05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
At this point in life, I have very little outrage left, having spent it on the dubious activities of both parties over the years. As a result, I tend to save it for the things in life that really matter, like when some dolt has more than 10 items or less in front of me at the express check-out, uncaring twits that leave their dogs out non-sheltered in the back yard 24/7 and allow them to bark unending, and the ignoramus that insists on bellowing into a cell phone while I'm attempting to watch a movie in a theater.

Politicians lie? Wow, now that's a newsflash. Got any word on the Hindenburg?

Exactly BBB, this is weak, there's been a ton of lying scumbags on both sides, one is not exclusive to being the "good guys" at this point/

WACF
05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Same goes in the Canada.

Even when your government of choice is in power...they always seem to disappoint.

It is gotten to the point of picking they guys that fuck up the least and are not quite as scummy as the rest.

Kinda like picking the best of the worst.

LoungeMachine
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
LINK (http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/05/17/richard-blumenthal-conn-senate-hopeful-never-served-in-vietna/)

:lmao:

If you really wanted some commentary and debate with us, you could have used a nicer invitation than this.

Think I'll pass until you grow up a tad.

:gulp:

Have fun talking to yourself and Papsmar

Va Beach VH Fan
05-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, I can tell you coming from the military side of the house, this is a big no-no....

This is sorta like when Adm. Boorda was wearing a combat "V" (for Valor) on his medal when he didn't earn them in the mid '90's. Of course, Boorda killed himself over that, so hopefully this won't get to that point.

It's also similar to clowns that feign to have Purple Hearts, stuff like that....

FORD
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Blumenthal's an ass (like all DLC'ers) and he fucked himself by making these claims. Funny how he's being attacked here by somebody who defended a wartime deserting Chimp, though.

chefcraig
05-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, I can tell you coming from the military side of the house, this is a big no-no....

This is sorta like when Adm. Boorda was wearing a combat "V" (for Valor) on his medal when he didn't earn them in the mid '90's. Of course, Boorda killed himself over that, so hopefully this won't get to that point.

It's also similar to clowns that feign to have Purple Hearts, stuff like that....

Believe me, I wasn't belittling the importance of a person's service record, nor the heinous act of lying about one when so many have served honorably. My point was more toward the cynicism many Americans have with regard to politicians in general. If a person is willing to fabricate details of his/her service record (and believe that no one will bother to fact-check the info), it points to a larger issue at hand, one of outright stupidity. The duplicity is bad enough without adding the insult of carrying out the act with such callous arrogance and "above it all" indifference that the politician believes nobody will notice, nor will he/she be held accountable for the act.

Hardrock69
05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
1. This guy is stupid for lying about something like that. If your goal is to be a successful politician these days, you do not lie about stuff that is easily verifiable. Fucking moron.

2. BigBadBrucie again, has posted a lame fucking post, and seems irate the nobody is getting upset over it. The same reason he was probably mad at people who were not angry with Clinton for lying about his blowjob/cigar festivities with Monica Blewinsky.

If the subject at hand was, say, Chimpy and Dickless Cheney being traitors by murdering our own soldiers, why yes, that is something worth getting outraged over.

But then, BigBadBrucie gets irate over irrational shit, so what the fuck.

conmee
05-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

My grandfather was on a minelayer on December 7, 1941 moored next to the cruiser Helena, directly across the harbor from USS Arizona. He spent the entire war in the Pacific theater. My father was on a riverboat in Vietnam (just like the one in Apocalypse Now - similar results), got his ass shot off (quite literally they grafted parts of his ass to the big fucking hole in his shoulder from enemy fire, spent the rest of his career on the carrier USS Constellation - she's now mothballed in Bremerton, WA).

Point being that some people don't join the "Guard" or "Reserves" (all due respect to those folks) and don't ask for multiple deferments/exceptions to stay in the States, but actually go out there and put life on the line to serve this country.

Like many other d-bags, including "Chimpy" (I can't even remember former President's name anymore, thanks FORD), who skirt the system and then years later want to capitalize on the cache of being a "veteran" it really is one of the worst offenses a politician can make. Cheat on your wife, fine. Embezzle funds from charities, ok. Being a self-righteous closeted bigot/homo, no prob. But to try to revel in the sacrifices (life and death) of others who actually contributed and made a difference is pretty pathetic.

I can see how easily the mind of a politician, always looking for advantage, weighed the pros and cons... well, I will get a big boost immediately and if my true record comes to light I'll say I misspoke "in" for "during." From a cost/benefit analysis, unless the public and veterans are truly outraged and carry that outrage to the polls/voting booth, it's a win-win for politicians. But I blame the public and voters for this type of behavior because politicians know that they are rarely held accountable, particularly incumbents. Sobbing on TV, press release apologies written by handlers, generally, if you can handle some public embarrassment (and the sobering realization that you can toss aside integrity for personal gain, and statistically speaking, beat the system), well who wouldn't do the same? Not many honest people with character, integrity, and conviction (unless criminal) even bother with political office anymore. Regardless of party affiliation, it is what it is.

Someone has a good quote from Jefferson or Franklin or maybe even Karl Fucking Marx along the lines of getting the government you deserve. Well, being apathetic, lazy, and uninvolved/uninterested by the mass of voters (an influence void filled enthusiastically by corporations and special interests) has left us where we are today.

Until more people really care and get involved, I don't think any of us will be surprised to see more of the same from both parties for the foreseeable future.

That is all.

Icon©®™

knuckleboner
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
yeah, BBB, not sure what you were expecting.

without question, everybody would agree that there are idiots on both sides. clearly this guy is an idiot.

kwame k
05-19-2010, 11:09 PM

without question, everybody would agree that there are idiots on both sides. clearly this guy is an idiot.

Also, I think everyone would agree that BBB is a moron.

Went for the cheap shot.......

Nickdfresh
05-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Gee Brianne. What about the time the pussy bitch Republicun't that never served in the military accused the sitting Democratic congressman that lost three limbs in Vietnam and won several medals of being a "coward?"

Hardrock69
05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
BigBadBrucie probably agreed with Chimpy.

hideyoursheep
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
This dude who "misspoke" about his service pretty much gift-wrapped the election for the other guy IMO.

Not that it's going to MATTER, because it won't. Not until the halls of Congress are fumigated for corporate lobbyists, like conmee said.

BigBadBrian
05-20-2010, 04:41 AM
:lmao:

If you really wanted some commentary and debate with us, you could have used a nicer invitation than this.

Think I'll pass until you grow up a tad.

have fun talking to yourself and Papsmar

It looks like I got a few more hateful posts from your liberal buddies than you expected, huh?

MAX is certainly correct in THIS POST IN THIS OTHER THREAD: (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?58993-Black-Flag-The-Flag-s-Meltdown&p=1458333&viewfull=1#post1458333) you're a pussified bitch who can dish shit out but can't take it. MAX completely owned you AND all your homo buddies in that thread.

I don't see you telling DumbAsARock69 that his thread titles where too mean-spirited to play.

Go ahead and whine some more for us, like the little girl you are.

BigBadBrian
05-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Gee Brianne. What about the time the pussy bitch Republicun't that never served in the military accused the sitting Democratic congressman that lost three limbs in Vietnam and won several medals of being a "coward?"

I wouldn't have called him a coward. I would have called him stupid. Dumb bastard blew himself up with his own grenade. The voting public knows a dumb motherfucker when they see one and Max Cleland was incredibly stupid.

BigBadBrian
05-20-2010, 04:46 AM

From the posts from your side of the aisle, I got what I wanted. Yours and VA's, once again, were the only intelligent posts from the Left :biggrin:

Why do most of your liberal friends feel insulted when I use deliberate inflammatory speech towards a Dem? Speech that's clearly designed to get under their skin? Hmm?

knuckleboner
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Why do most of your liberal friends feel insulted when I use deliberate inflammatory speech towards a Dem? Speech that's clearly designed to get under their skin? Hmm?

don't know for sure. but probably because they like riling people up. you know, just like...;)

Hardrock69
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't see you telling DumbAsARock69 that his thread titles where too mean-spirited to play.

Go ahead and whine some more for us, like the little girl you are.

Speak for yourself, bitch.

He probably does not tell me my thread titles 'where too mean-spirited to play' (whatever the fuck that means), because I am not a jackass idiot like some people around here. Also, I actually cuntribute to this entire site, instead of just limiting myself to crying like a pussy in the front line about how 'all you liberals are so mean to me'. Poor widdul baby is all upset. Needs to go ask mommy to change his diaper.
http://i49.tinypic.com/10s57yb.jpg

Nickdfresh
05-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't have called him a coward. I would have called him stupid. Dumb bastard blew himself up with his own grenade. The voting public knows a dumb motherfucker when they see one and Max Cleland was incredibly stupid.

Oh, well, that would make you the fucking ignorant asshole you so like to accuse others of being. The grenade wasn't his, it was one of his troops. And his action saved other lives. BTW, a poop-deck seaman loving squid such as yourself might not bother to recognize that he won several medals for valor and was recognized as an excellent officer and combat commander...

But good job spitting on a Vietnam combat veteran, BigBadHanoiJamie'sCryin':

Early life and military service

Cleland was born in Atlanta, Georgia on August 24, 1942. He grew up in Lithonia and graduated from Stetson University, class of 1964, where he was a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. He went on to receive a Master's degree from Emory University.

Cleland then served in the United States Army during the Vietnam War, attaining the rank of Captain. He was awarded the Silver Star and the Bronze Star for valorous action in combat, including during the Battle of Khe Sanh on April 4, 1968.

On April 8, 1968, Captain Cleland was the Battalion Signal Officer for the 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division during the Battle of Khe Sanh.[3]

On April 8, with a month left in his tour, Cleland was ordered to set up a radio relay station on a nearby hill. A helicopter flew him and two soldiers to the treeless top of Hill 471, east of Khe Sanh. Cleland knew some of the soldiers camped there from Operation Pegasus. He told the pilot he was going to stay a while with friends.

When the helicopter landed, Cleland jumped out, followed by the two soldiers. They ducked beneath the rotors and turned to watch the liftoff. Cleland reached down to pick up a grenade he believed had popped off his flak jacket. It exploded, and the blast slammed him backward, shredding both his legs and one arm.

David Lloyd was a 19-year-old enlisted Marine, son of a Baltimore, Maryland ship worker, who went to Vietnam because he "wanted to kill Communists."

On that day, he was in a mortar pit on a hill near Khe Sanh when he heard the explosion. Fragments bounced off his flak jacket. He ran to the injured Cleland, saying 'Hold on there, captain, the chopper will be here in a minute.'

Lloyd took off his web belt and tied it around one of Cleland's shredded legs. When the medics arrived, he left to help another injured soldier — one of the two who had gotten off the helicopter with Cleland.

That unnamed soldier was crying. 'It was mine,' he said, 'it was my grenade.'

According to Lloyd, the private had failed to take the extra precaution that experienced soldiers did when they grabbed M-26 grenades from the ammo box: bend the pins, or tape them in place, so they couldn't accidentally dislodge. This soldier had a flak jacket full of grenades with treacherously straight pins, Lloyd says. "He was a walking death trap."[4]

Due to the severity of his injuries, doctors amputated both of Cleland's legs above the knee and his right forearm.[5] He was 25 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Cleland#Early_life_and_military_service

Nickdfresh
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
I find it rather interesting when BBB supports disparaging combat vets in order to cheaply win elections, but his panties bunch up when some shithead political careerist exaggerates his record (which I think is shit as well, but not nearly as offensive as what happened to Cleland by that Chickenhawk boy-toucher)....

But I'd love Brian to prove me wrong by bumping the thread where he condemned such shameful, embarrassing behavior....

Guitar Shark
05-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

My grandfather was on a minelayer on December 7, 1941 moored next to the cruiser Helena, directly across the harbor from USS Arizona. He spent the entire war in the Pacific theater. My father was on a riverboat in Vietnam (just like the one in Apocalypse Now - similar results), got his ass shot off (quite literally they grafted parts of his ass to the big fucking hole in his shoulder from enemy fire, spent the rest of his career on the carrier USS Constellation - she's now mothballed in Bremerton, WA).

Point being that some people don't join the "Guard" or "Reserves" (all due respect to those folks) and don't ask for multiple deferments/exceptions to stay in the States, but actually go out there and put life on the line to serve this country.

Like many other d-bags, including "Chimpy" (I can't even remember former President's name anymore, thanks FORD), who skirt the system and then years later want to capitalize on the cache of being a "veteran" it really is one of the worst offenses a politician can make. Cheat on your wife, fine. Embezzle funds from charities, ok. Being a self-righteous closeted bigot/homo, no prob. But to try to revel in the sacrifices (life and death) of others who actually contributed and made a difference is pretty pathetic.

I can see how easily the mind of a politician, always looking for advantage, weighed the pros and cons... well, I will get a big boost immediately and if my true record comes to light I'll say I misspoke "in" for "during." From a cost/benefit analysis, unless the public and veterans are truly outraged and carry that outrage to the polls/voting booth, it's a win-win for politicians. But I blame the public and voters for this type of behavior because politicians know that they are rarely held accountable, particularly incumbents. Sobbing on TV, press release apologies written by handlers, generally, if you can handle some public embarrassment (and the sobering realization that you can toss aside integrity for personal gain, and statistically speaking, beat the system), well who wouldn't do the same? Not many honest people with character, integrity, and conviction (unless criminal) even bother with political office anymore. Regardless of party affiliation, it is what it is.

Someone has a good quote from Jefferson or Franklin or maybe even Karl Fucking Marx along the lines of getting the government you deserve. Well, being apathetic, lazy, and uninvolved/uninterested by the mass of voters (an influence void filled enthusiastically by corporations and special interests) has left us where we are today.

Until more people really care and get involved, I don't think any of us will be surprised to see more of the same from both parties for the foreseeable future.

That is all.

Icon©®™

Quoting because this post is worth a second read.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I think it's also fair to remind everyone while the topic of "draft dodgers" was mentioned that not only did Dubya get Daddy to pull strings to keep him from deploying to 'NAM, and Cheney got five deferrments himself, but Bill Clinton was no Boy Scout either in this regard....

Hardrock69
05-21-2010, 01:10 AM
You got a good point there. Anyone who says Clinton was an angel is pretty ignorant. In fact, you gotta figure ALL presidents have some kind of skeletons in their closets.

hambon4lif
05-22-2010, 12:33 AM
this is weak, there's been a ton of lying scumbags on both sides, one is not exclusive to being the "good guys" at this point/It's all a goddamn puppet show, these dumbasses are here strictly for our amusement, and they no longer entertain or amuse me.

We've got VP candidates who have no idea that Africa is a continent, we've got congressman telling Navy Admirals that Guam is an island that floats and could 'capsize and tip over', we've got others who enjoy gang-tickling other guys, and most recently, we've witnessed others who have told bald-faced lies about their Vietnam experience.

It's a peanut-gallery of total idiots, and no one's buying their bullshit anymore!

I'm after bigger game myself, and at the end of the day, is this guy a comedian? or a prophet?......you make the call.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/acLW1vFO-2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/acLW1vFO-2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
05-23-2010, 02:41 AM
People don't pay attention when things are going pretty good. When people have jobs and buy into the illusion that they can get rich quick in the stock market or real estate. When that illusion is dashed to pieces, they lose their job, their home, and their taxes go up to bail out the speculators who caused the economic crash in the first place, they pay attention! Where I live people are plenty angry and we haven't been devastated like other parts of the country. Believe me, people are going to pay more attention now. The country got really fat, dumb, and happy. Those days are over. Many voters know we are at a crossroads here and the country can get way worse or we can nip it on the butt and start turning the mess around. The bottom line is Americans are going to have to learn to work again and we need to create jobs for them to do. Real jobs, not more government trolls but real productive jobs. We are going to have to produce out of this mess, not paper over it with more worthless paper.

Nitro Express
05-23-2010, 02:46 AM
It's all a goddamn puppet show, these dumbasses are here strictly for our amusement, and they no longer entertain or amuse me.

We've got VP candidates who have no idea that Africa is a continent, we've got congressman telling Navy Admirals that Guam is an island that floats and could 'capsize and tip over', we've got others who enjoy gang-tickling other guys, and most recently, we've witnessed others who have told bald-faced lies about their Vietnam experience.

It's a peanut-gallery of total idiots, and no one's buying their bullshit anymore!

I'm after bigger game myself, and at the end of the day, is this guy a comedian? or a prophet?......you make the call.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/acLW1vFO-2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/acLW1vFO-2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

George Carlin was one of the all time greats and a man who saw the world for what it really is. I've been a fan since grade school when I first saw him on The Tonight Show. I bought the Class Clown LP with my own money I made from mowing lawns. I played it on my little record player and had to keep the volume down so my mom wouldn't hear the filthy language. LOL! My first real education of the real world came from listening to George Carlin in those young tender year. I think you get more reality from comedians than politicians.