PDA

View Full Version : Been to Google today?

FORD
05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
There's an 80's flashback waiting for you there. Bring your quarters. :biggrin:

hambon4lif
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
There's an 80's flashback waiting for you there. Bring your quarters. :biggrin:I just noticed that this morning! 30th anniversary??!? 30 fuckin' years!

The good thing about it is Google is GARbage's primary source for everything! Hopefully he'll develop 'Pac-Man Fever' and be distracted from posting anything here today.

MAX
05-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Had the fuckin' speakers on and scared the shit outta me cos Google's the ole home page and stuff. For a split second, I thought all of my former drug abuse had caught up to me and was in the middle of an early 80's flashback!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
05-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah, cool stuff....

FORD
05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Had the fuckin' speakers on and scared the shit outta me cos Google's the ole home page and stuff. For a split second, I thought all of my former drug abuse had caught up to me and was in the middle of an early 80's flashback!!!

No shit. At first I thought it was just a logo, and I switched back to another tab on my browser. Then I heard the familiar music. Still thought it was just a logo and they somehow embedded a sound clip in it. Then I noticed the little ghosts moving, and damned if the arrows on my keyboard didn't work. Not all that well though, so I didn't exactly get the high score that I would have on the old arcade game, or the cheap Atari knock off home version. I still got my old 2600 around here somewhere. If it's another rainy shitty weekend around here, I might just dig it out.

MAX
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
lol @ the old 2600. I still have one boxed up at my mom's house as well. Fuck, I remember how jipped I felt back in the day when I got that shitty-ass pac man. Wish I still had my colecovision cos that was awesome!!!

PETE'S BROTHER
05-21-2010, 03:44 PM
if you're ever in the hood, y'all are welcome to play the miss pacman cocktail table version we have.

Jagermeister
05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
lol @ the old 2600. I still have one boxed up at my mom's house as well. Fuck, I remember how jipped I felt back in the day when I got that shitty-ass pac man. Wish I still had my colecovision cos that was awesome!!!

You know I think those things are highly collectable now.

MAX
05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
You know I think those things are highly collectable now.

Atari or Colecovision?

I sold the latter on eBay several years back. Made a pretty penny so I'm not going to complain. lol

Jagermeister
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Atari or Colecovision?

I sold the latter on eBay several years back. Made a pretty penny so I'm not going to complain. lol

Atari. Well hell even those old Nintendo consoles can fetch some cash.

MAX
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Atari. Well hell even those old Nintendo consoles can fetch some cash.

Thanks. I'm going to look into sellin' it. Must have a hundred cartridges as well.

Jagermeister
05-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks. I'm going to look into sellin' it. Must have a hundred cartridges as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-2600-VIDEO-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-1ST-YEAR-VINTAGE-1977-/320493802711?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item4a9eeb54d7

Nickdfresh
05-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Good times. But I was annoyed that my computer keys don't translate well to controlling the Pac...

FORD
05-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Just found out that if you hit the "insert coin" button twice, you get a "two player mode" and Ms. PacMan appears on the screen. Not sure how you would play the second character though.

GAR
05-23-2010, 01:52 AM
I thought some spikey-haired Taiwaiinese kid hacked the page.

Google has enough of them under it's employ, they should send them back till they get papers instead of fucking around wasting time doing stupid stuff like that.

Nickdfresh
05-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought some spikey-haired Taiwaiinese kid hacked the page.

Google has enough of them under it's employ, they should send them back till they get papers instead of fucking around wasting time doing stupid stuff like that.

Made the librarians should bump you off the computers so children can get some actual work done, cheese-smelling vagrant...

sadaist
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
if you're ever in the hood, y'all are welcome to play the miss pacman cocktail table version we have.

I used to repair/refurbish arcade games. I wrote several "how to's" on repairing monitors, cap kits, pcb's, troubleshooting, etc.. I also have a very detailed cd with plans/blueprints to build the cocktail cabinet style arcade game at home yourself. I sell em on eBay for a few extra bucks. But if any member here would like to give it a go someday, just fire me a pm. I will just email you the files at no charge. I have them zipped for emailing if needed.

Looks like this. This is one I built at my house.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/cocktail3.jpg

kwame k
05-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Kick ass, Sadie!

Dan
05-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Sweet As.:D

twonabomber
05-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I used to repair/refurbish arcade games. I wrote several "how to's" on repairing monitors, cap kits, pcb's, troubleshooting, etc.. I also have a very detailed cd with plans/blueprints to build the cocktail cabinet style arcade game at home yourself. I sell em on eBay for a few extra bucks. But if any member here would like to give it a go someday, just fire me a pm. I will just email you the files at no charge. I have them zipped for emailing if needed.

i'd like to take a peek at those.

i have a bunch of monitors lying around and i've been thinking of making a MAME cabinet for a while. i'm running some emulators on my Wii but the controls just aren't the same.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-24-2010, 01:03 PM

beautiful, ours is not so purdy, beat up bar model. we would LOVE to add galaga to ours.

Anonymous
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Fucking old fossils... Pac-Man? Galaga?

Sweet Jaysus, talk about PRE-HISTORIC!

THESE DAYS, us modern kids like to play something a bit more ADVANCED! SOmething with a STORY! Not those antediluvian shitty, crappy, bleep bleep games.

BEHOLD! DOUBLE DRAGON!!!

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6084/doubledragonss1.jpg

Ah, mammaries... all me allowance went straight to that baby. Still me favourite all time game.

When Google decides to pay an homage to Double Dragon, wake me up.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
05-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Aw, fuck it...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S0-2xhQAO9k&hl=pt_PT&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S0-2xhQAO9k&hl=pt_PT&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1VJRVLLr2c&hl=pt_PT&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1VJRVLLr2c&hl=pt_PT&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Dude, the final boss music STILL gives me the chills!

EDIT: Dude's a fuckin' wimpy cheater! We used to kick those three dudes arses, then the three green dudes & ONLY THEN we'd go against Willy. A blast from that machine gun killed you even with the life bar full. Good times!

Cheers! :bottle:

sadaist
05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
i'd like to take a peek at those.

i have a bunch of monitors lying around and i've been thinking of making a MAME cabinet for a while. i'm running some emulators on my Wii but the controls just aren't the same.

Dude, just send me a pm with an email address I can forward the plans. I just sent them to Vanhalener last night. Took 2 emails to attach all the files. Just PDF & Word docs. I also have some artwork saved for the instruction cards & stuff for a few games that can be printed on photo paper when refurbishing a game. Also have a slew of original game manuals saved into pdf files. Been collecting those for a while now. I'll try to get a list up here of what I got that can be emailed to anyone.

FORD
05-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Google’s Pac-Man logo sucked up 4.82 million work hours

May 25, 2010

Lesley Ciarula Taylor

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/61/a2/241cc48145db81daf9fb84754eb7.jpeg

Those seconds you spent playing Google’s interactive Pac-Man fed a worldwide productivity drain of 4.82 million hours, an online calculation says.

RescueTime, a software tool to measure how employees spent their time, found that people who clicked through the Google-Pac-Man logo on Friday squandered an average of 36 extra seconds more on google.com, compared with the previous Friday.

The dollar tally was $120,483,000 in lost productivity, RescueTime said Monday. That’s based on an average Google user cost of $25 an hour.

The average Google user spends only four minutes and 30 seconds a day on Google search, or roughly 11 seconds on each page view, said RescueTime’s founder Tony Wright.

“Yes, we all use Google. But a Google search only requires a few seconds and we’re all pretty well trained to click on of the first few links. Add to that the fact that many people use Google as a navigation tool (Googling IMB instead of typing www.ibm.com).”

PCWorld.com on Tuesday reported another Google Pac-Man time-consumer: The celebration of the video game’s 30th anniversary so baffled some Firefox users with its strange, unknown sounds that they called tech support.

The Pac-Man music and sound effects “confused some people,” said James Socol, a Web development engineer at Mozilla, creator of Firefox.

In others news, Tuesday’s geek distraction is the celebration of Towel Day, a commemoration of Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, who died in 2001. Canada has at least seven events planned.

Adams wrote in his 1979 bestseller: “A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.”

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/813857--google-s-pac-man-logo-sucked-up-4-82-million-work-hours?bn=1

FORD
05-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Only 36 seconds? They must have had about as much luck playing the game with the shitty arrow keys as I was having. :biggrin: