View Full Version : SlipKnot Bassist Paul Gray Found Dead

LoungeMachine
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Slipknot bassist found dead in Iowa hotel room

By the CNN Wire Staff
May 24, 2010 6:33 p.m. EDT

Des Moines
Iowa

(CNN) -- Paul Gray, the bassist for the metal band Slipknot, was found dead Monday morning in his Des Moines, Iowa, hotel room, according to police. He was 38.

Gray's body was found by staff at the TownePlace Suites, said Sgt. Dave Disney of the Urbandale Police Department.

An autopsy, including toxicology tests, will be performed Tuesday, said Disney, who declined to comment on reports that drug paraphernalia was found in Gray's hotel room.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/24/obit.slipknot.bassist/?hpt=Sbin

jhale667
05-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Police are already reporting "no foul play" and talking about awaiting "toxicology results" - looking like another "typical" rock star death. :(

BITEYOASS
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Gotta be crystal meth, the drug of choice in Iowa.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-24-2010, 07:33 PM
very sad:(

Unchainme
05-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Shit band, but am very sad to see anyone die that young.

my condolences to his friends and family :(.

VanHalenFan5150
05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
RIP Paul...

Guitar Shark
05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Considering the name of his band, it would have been more fitting if he hung himself.

ODShowtime
05-25-2010, 07:24 AM
luckily they just give someone else his mask and they're good to go!

binnie
05-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Very sad news, especially for one so young. Whenever you read a 'Rock Star Dies' story, you always think of drugs but I hope for the sake of his family that that isn't the case.

R.I.P and my thoughts go out to all of his friends, family and band mates.

Slipknot are an incredible band - get past the silly masks and you have a face melting metal group, whose invention have re-defined the genre and done as much to bring a heavier form of metal into the mainstream and Metallica and Pantera before them. Epically aggressive, yet full of groove and melody they really have been pushing the bar for over a decade - the rhythm section is a huge part of that sound, and Paul will definitely be missed.

Seshmeister
05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
It's a very dangerous job.

VanHalenFan5150
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
This isn't funny. Even if you guys feel sad for him and his family the derogatory comments aren't cool

Hardrock69
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey, we all feel for his family and friends. But what good is life unless you can laugh at death?

Quote from The Gladiator:

Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.
Being a musician IS a dangerous job!

1. High volume. Might not feel the effects while young, but by late 40s-early 50s tinnitus sets in, by 60s-70s you will have the hearing aid cranked to 11. Eh?
2. Drugs & alcohol. Sure, intake of these is viewed as something to do while partying, but it is a fine line between being wasted and dead. How many rockers have died from overdosing?
3. Transportation. Many musicians, especially successful ones who get to tour a lot, are constantly in the air or on the highway. Consider the guys in Slipknot. How many miles each year do they log? This increases the chances of death by plane or auto crash seriously.
4. Women. The more successful you are, the more chicks you will have access to. This drastically increases the risk of contracting disease, contracting children, contracting paternity suits, or contracting rape/sexual assault charges. And of course there is the slight possibility of death by jealous boyfriend/husband.

So being a musician is fraught with peril.

Seshmeister
05-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Not the order I would have listed them in but yup that's what I meant.

You could also have added electrocution, being murdered by nutcases and choking on your food/ your vomit/someone elses vomit.

binnie
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
C'mon guys, you wouldn't tolerate that in the Dio thread............

Hardrock69
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah true. I shut up now.

Jagermeister
05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Tearful members of Grammy-winning metal band Slipknot shocked fans on Tuesday by appearing in public without masks for the first time in their career to pay tribute to their deceased bass player.

Music

A brief news conference, carried live on the Internet, took place a day after 38-year-old Paul Gray was found dead at a hotel near the group's hometown of Des Moines, Iowa.

An autopsy was held earlier in the day, but the cause of death is not yet known pending the results of toxicology tests that could take up to six weeks.

Gray was found dead on Monday at a hotel near the group's home town of Des Moines, Iowa, by a hotel employee. Local police said there was no evidence of foul play.

One big problem for fans watching the news conference: Who was who among the eight surviving members? A simultaneous live feed of Twitter and other messages indicated much uncertainty about the identity of most of the members speaking.

One of the speakers about whom there was no doubt was Gray's wife, Brenna, who is pregnant with their first child. She was seated next to Gray's brother, Tony.

Most of Gray's ashen bandmates struggled to hold back tears. Guitarists Mick Thompson and James Root and sampler Craig Jones were too saddened to say anything.

"It's very important that everybody on the outside of us understands that Paul Gray was the essence of the band Slipknot, and Paul was there from the very, very, very beginning," said percussionist M. Shawn Crahan, who played with Gray in an early version of Slipknot during the early 1990s.

"None of us would be on the path that we're on right now in life, or have the sorts of lives that we have, without him," Crahan added.

No one discussed whether Slipknot would continue. One of the biggest bands in the metal genre, Slipknot topped the charts in the United States, Australia and Europe with its most recent album, 2008's "All Hope Is Gone." The band won a Grammy in 2004 for its song "Before I Forget."

Slipknot became notorious for its performances. Its members often broke each other's bones, set each other on fire, and injured their fans after diving into the crowd.

Inspired by their heroes KISS, each member wears a grotesque mask in public along with coveralls, and is identified by a number. Gray was No. 2.

I have not found the video yet. I'm working on it for anyone who gives a shit.

Jagermeister
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BX91HxHpQjE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BX91HxHpQjE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Man that fucking sucks. Only 38 also.

Saw them at Ozzfest a few years back.

RIP dude.

ODShowtime
05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
yeah I felt bad after I typed mine. Sorry to any fans.

Seshmeister
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
An autopsy was held earlier in the day, but the cause of death is not yet known pending the results of toxicology tests that could take up to six weeks.
[/COLOR]

The long time a lot of tests take to do is something they never show you on TV shows like CSI or House.

Diamondjimi
05-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Most likely an overdose... Link (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140717)

hambon4lif
05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Most likely an overdose... Link (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140717)I have to question the credibility of any story that has TMZ in it. They are hardly a reputable news source, they are a disease.

Blabbermouth has a very outspoken bunch over there. No one knows the facts yet, and they're already shoveling dirt on the guy and spitting on his grave....

jhale667
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
How baked did the 911 operator sound on that call, I ask you? :eek:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
DES MOINES, Iowa – The hotel employee who found Slipknot bassist Paul Gray dead in his room told a 911 operator that there was a hypodermic needle next to Gray's bed and there were "all kinds of pills everywhere."
TownePlace Suites maintenance worker Mike Kellow told the operator Monday morning that he found the 38-year-old Gray's body in a corner of his room slumped against a wall.
"There's a hypodermic needle next to the bed here," Kellow said.
The dispatcher asked if Gray was awake.
"Oh God, no. He's all purple," Kellow said.
Kellow told the operator it appeared that Gray had been "gone a while."

Diamondjimi
05-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Junkies...pfft...

I have no sympathy for people who abuse drugs or alcohol . I feel bad for his wife, unborn child and his family...

Nitro Express
05-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Drugs are hardcore entertainment. Much like dangerous action sports. They give you that rush but then they also can kill you. Sometimes you puke your guts, other times you puke your life.

Nitro Express
05-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey, we all feel for his family and friends. But what good is life unless you can laugh at death?

Quote from The Gladiator:

Being a musician IS a dangerous job!

1. High volume. Might not feel the effects while young, but by late 40s-early 50s tinnitus sets in, by 60s-70s you will have the hearing aid cranked to 11. Eh?
2. Drugs & alcohol. Sure, intake of these is viewed as something to do while partying, but it is a fine line between being wasted and dead. How many rockers have died from overdosing?
3. Transportation. Many musicians, especially successful ones who get to tour a lot, are constantly in the air or on the highway. Consider the guys in Slipknot. How many miles each year do they log? This increases the chances of death by plane or auto crash seriously.
4. Women. The more successful you are, the more chicks you will have access to. This drastically increases the risk of contracting disease, contracting children, contracting paternity suits, or contracting rape/sexual assault charges. And of course there is the slight possibility of death by jealous boyfriend/husband.

So being a musician is fraught with peril.

Nobody get's out alive and all your toys stay here. So laugh and play in the sandbox while you still can.

Nitro Express
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
"Rock stars are like dogs who chase cars. We make a lot of noise but we tend to not last that long." -David Lee Roth-